NATION

PASSWORD

Should Siberia become independent?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:49 am

Harmonian Hegemony wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
So obvious that you have to dedicate a post to explaining it? You speak about empires being made up of conquered people - so why not let the Crimeans hold a Referendum, on condition that everyone UN member state, including Russia, recognizes the result? I think we all know the reason that you'd oppose that Human Rights move - because it would benefit Russia. And when Human Rights help Russia, you throw them out the window.

You continuously speak of Russia as some evil empire, full on conquered people, but the reality is that Russia's hardly imperialistic in the classical sense. Putin's been involved in three border conflicts, and intervened in Syria, in the past two decades. His approval rating is broad among the political spectrum, and the majority of minorities in Russia, probably support Putin. They don't view themselves as "conquered people" or any other label that you'd care to attach.

That said, during the Yeltsin Administration, there was a case similar to North Kosovo in Russia, in the Sakhalin Islands. When he inherited the situation, Putin showed a willingness to negotiate, (unlike Yeltsin,) but the Japanese wanted it all; they got nothing instead. As far as salaries and pensions in Russia:

(Image)

That's an average pension, and an average income. So much for the "deserving poor" eh, Wrepland?

Only source for that meme is Russian Insider, a blog site. Try again.

It's not just a meme - it's an accumulation of facts with Putin in a suit in between, and a factual caption. You do grasp that memes aren't always factual, right Harmonian Hegemony? For instance, regarding GDP (PPP), here's data from the World Bank:

Last edited by Shofercia on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:59 pm

Tlerzhenvoa wrote:Russia is one of the only European nations that still controls most of its colonial empire. If Siberia/Tuva/anything else wants to secede, then they absolutely should be able to.

Russia expanded because of the need to find security. Remember, most of the devastating attacks against the early Russians came from the east and south-east. The other European nations far-flung empires had nothing to do with seeking security.

Watch this really short video on Russia's Geographic challenge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6LIhNgsQoc
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Harmonian Hegemony
Envoy

Founded: Apr 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Harmonian Hegemony » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:26 am

Shofercia wrote:
Only source for that meme is Russian Insider, a blog site. Try again.

It's not just a meme - it's an accumulation of facts with Putin in a suit in between, and a factual caption. You do grasp that memes aren't always factual, right Harmonian Hegemony?

Evidently you don't.
Dahon wrote:
Eh, it's Jamal Khashoggi. Who cares.

Um...I think his family probably does. As well as anyone who cares about freedom of the press.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:48 am

Shofercia wrote:
It's not just a meme - it's an accumulation of facts with Putin in a suit in between, and a factual caption. You do grasp that memes aren't always factual, right Harmonian Hegemony?

Evidently you don't.

An edgy "no U" response from Harmonian Hegemony, one that is severely lacking all aspects of reading comprehension...
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Previous

Return to General