NATION

PASSWORD

The meaning of life

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Beylik of Tunis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Beylik of Tunis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Sovaal wrote:Reproduction.

So why are you here and not f***ing?

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Beylik of Tunis wrote:

It's hard to find people that want to fuck.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Beylik of Tunis wrote:

^
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

The Batavia
Senator

Founded: May 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Batavia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:34 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Beylik of Tunis wrote:

Relatable
Ditched my old signature. Will be making a pretty looking one when I find the time.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Why? Can't you just live without a purpose?

You can but I’ve been in that void for so long I can’t see how someone can do and be healthy

That's a fair response. And honestly it lines up mostly with my own views on the subject.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Tbh, it is what most people do.

Most people are suicidal?

Most people I know actually are. We're not a happy group.

That's even more depressing than there is no meaning of life for some reason.
Last edited by Geneviev on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:You can but I’ve been in that void for so long I can’t see how someone can do and be healthy

That's a fair response. And honestly it lines up mostly with my own views on the subject.

I like to think of it as going through the motions of life to spite the cold and chaotic nature of the universe. A futile battle, but giving the finger to the Void is a great thing.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Like a lot of people here, I don't think there's some grand point to our existence. We're just here. Biologically, we want to reproduce and survive, but that's about it.

Doesn't bother me, though. I choose to live because there are a lot of things that I want to experience and a lot of moments worth having. Also, death just seems so lonely. And final. I'll take the time I have gladly.

The Transhuman Union
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Transhuman Union » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:29 pm

The meaning of ''life'' is:

1. [mass noun] The condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.
2. The existence of an individual human being or animal.
3. (usually one's life) The period between the birth and death of a living thing, especially a human being.
4. Vitality, vigour, or energy.
5. [mass noun] (in art) the depiction of a subject from a real model, rather than from an artist's imagination.

Glad I could help!
A big, 1.8 M blob filled with joy and enthusiasm, with a small dash of ingenuity combined with a youthful, healthy dose of idealism.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Life is a dull, tedious, mildly frustrating, but nonetheless obligatory experience that you just kind of want to get over with.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Luziyca wrote:Life is a dull, tedious, mildly frustrating, but nonetheless obligatory experience that you just kind of want to get over with.

But there are some people that you'd like to spend your life with, and they make life a little better.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

The Transhuman Union
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Transhuman Union » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:46 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Life is a dull, tedious, mildly frustrating, but nonetheless obligatory experience that you just kind of want to get over with.

But there are some people that you'd like to spend your life with, and they make life a little better.

You need to find those people. It's like a pirate treasure search, the X would represent the community of something which you are interested in.
A big, 1.8 M blob filled with joy and enthusiasm, with a small dash of ingenuity combined with a youthful, healthy dose of idealism.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Enjoying the luck us bastards have by outcompeting 100+ million sperms in the life race. Enjoy your following couple of decades trying to comprehend, contribute and learn about this strange world with your abilities.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Having fun is fine, and necessary, but it can also be good for us to be kind. Help out. Not to earn a medal, but just because that's what people do.

As for meaning, Bonhoeffer said the free deed knows itself as guidance We act in freedom and that action becomes our reason for having acted,

Myles Horton and P. Friere wrote a book together that says it for me: "We Make the Road by Walking".
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Life has no meaning. Which is good. Otherwise, we'd probably have a bunch of priests telling us what to do or something.

A Humanist Stink
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Stink » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:13 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:What is the meaning of life?

"Don't take balloons from strangers."

It's the question isn't it?

Not really. "What happens inside a black hole?" or "Why is grass green?" are much, much the-er

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm

A Humanist Stink wrote:

Not really. "What happens inside a black hole?" or "Why is grass green?" are much, much the-er

We know the answer to the last one.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Firaxin
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Firaxin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm

A Humanist Stink wrote:

I’d say the question is “What is right?”

A Humanist Stink
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Stink » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:39 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:
A Humanist Stink wrote:

We know the answer to the last one.

True. But is the grass still green on the other side of the black hole?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Life is what you try to make of it. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. As long as you're doing things that fulfill you, then you are making it meaningful.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Life is what you try to make of it. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. As long as you're doing things that fulfill you, then you are making it meaningful.

What if murder fulfils you?

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
If there is a god, and after death is endless paradise, then making the children of god happy is only a positive thing.

Your choice.

You can make God the meaning of life, or not. He lets you make that decision on your own.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Life is what you try to make of it. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. As long as you're doing things that fulfill you, then you are making it meaningful.

James Holmes?
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm

The South Falls wrote:

We can meaningfully put you in jail where we'll help you, through the use of coloring books, to find meaning in something else. If you're a serial killer, we'll meaningfully lock you up and throw away the key.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:49 pm

The South Falls wrote:

Then you die doing what you fulfills you. Get to go out in a blaze of glory after you break into the wrong house with the "Protected by Smith & Wesson" yard sign.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General