NATION

PASSWORD

The meaning of life

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Geneviev wrote:That's kind of the point.

What if I want to watch the world burn?

Then that's a cause for concern.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 pm

NeuPolska wrote:

Then get a job working with fireworks.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:39 pm

NeuPolska wrote:

Given the reasonable unprobability of achieving such a goal and yet its high degree of vagueness that can easily be manipulated by you I'd say that makes a rather good life goal. Not only are you unlikely to ever reach it in your lifetime thus extending utility greatly but you can keep shifting the goalposts to double the effect or allow your self temporary milestone satisfaction.

I say go for it.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Godular wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:What if I want to watch the world burn?

My current job is even better, actually

Geneviev wrote:

Then that's a cause for concern.

Is it? The world may be better that way?

I'm not necessarily giving my true opinion on this, this is more for debate's sake, by the way. It's partially tongue in cheek. Figured I should give that disclaimer before the MPs come tackle me at formation tonight.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Purpelia wrote:

Given the reasonable unprobability of achieving such a goal and yet its high degree of vagueness that can easily be manipulated by you I'd say that makes a rather good life goal. Not only are you unlikely to ever reach it in your lifetime thus extending utility greatly but you can keep shifting the goalposts to double the effect or allow your self temporary milestone satisfaction.

I say go for it.

Thanks Purp

Solid assessment.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:43 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Godular wrote:

One of those folks who does controlled burns?

As purp said, there's a lot of interpretation that can go into one's decided objectives.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:44 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Godular wrote:

Geneviev wrote:Then that's a cause for concern.

I'm not necessarily giving my true opinion on this, this is more for debate's sake, by the way. It's partially tongue in cheek. Figured I should give that disclaimer before the MPs come tackle me at formation tonight.

The world wouldn't be better that way because what about that tiny tree in front of my school?
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Godular wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:My current job is even better, actually

One of those folks who does controlled burns?

As purp said, there's a lot of interpretation that can go into one's decided objectives.

No I hunt bad people down and protect my own

Geneviev wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:My current job is even better, actually

The world wouldn't be better that way because what about that tiny tree in front of my school?

I too have a tiny tree. I got a little spruce or whatever conifer that I got in elementary school as a sapling. It’s been transplanted with me and now it’s getting to be a big strong tree. Still a way to go, but it’s grown considerably.

But the tree itself doesn’t have to burn

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 pm

NeuPolska wrote:

Then you're in the majority, and should embrace it.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Eclius
Senator

Founded: Oct 24, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eclius » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 pm

The meaning of life is to take a part in a broader attempt to transcend humanity into the next phase.
We do NOT use NS stats since it's not the most accurate reflection
Eclisian Herald News Network
||Local man sent to hospital after eating a pack of 14 years old Kraft mac'n cheese||Schools to resume operation in coming weeks||All domestic flights resumed||10% off vacation to Democratic East Asia today, book yours today!||

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Eclius wrote:The meaning of life is to take a part in a broader attempt to transcend humanity into the next phase.

You’re Skynet, aren’t you?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:59 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Given the reasonable unprobability of achieving such a goal and yet its high degree of vagueness that can easily be manipulated by you I'd say that makes a rather good life goal. Not only are you unlikely to ever reach it in your lifetime thus extending utility greatly but you can keep shifting the goalposts to double the effect or allow your self temporary milestone satisfaction.

I say go for it.

Thanks Purp

Solid assessment.

To quote a fantastic cartoon I watched as a kid:
I wanted to become a fireman until I learned they put out fires.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Hopeington
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hopeington » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Hopeington wrote:
The meaning of life is not being dead.

And ensuring that other people don't die. That too.

I'm pretty sure that is the meaning of basic human decency.

Kalaron
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2015
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kalaron » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:05 pm

"In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the haughtiest and most mendacious minute of “world history” – yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die."
Suffice to say, my view on the meaning of life is that all meanings are equally meaningless from an objective standpoint, but equally worthwhile from a subjective standpoint. My meaning is to make my friends and family happy.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:
A Humanist Stink wrote:
"Don't take balloons from strangers."

Not really. "What happens inside a black hole?" or "Why is grass green?" are much, much the-er

We know the answer to the last one.

You can't prove that grass isn't green.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Zanera wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:

Come to the South in the middle of summer. We can prove to you that the grass isn’t green.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Zanera wrote:

Come to the South in the middle of summer. We can prove to you that the grass isn’t green.

This hole is eternal and self-digging, an insight into the undetermined determined, where nothing makes sense anymore because reality has presented a new truth.

I forgot about blue grass.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Zanera wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

This hole is eternal and self-digging, an insight into the undetermined determined, where nothing makes sense anymore because reality has presented a new truth.

Listen here, Poseidon or Triton or whatever your name is... I don’t know where I’m going with this so I shall leave.
Slava Ukraini

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Zanera wrote:

Listen here, Poseidon or Triton or whatever your name is... I don’t know where I’m going with this so I shall leave.

NEPTUNE DAMMIT
THE OCEAN SHALL RIIISE AGAIN
SCREW YOU, NETHERLANDS

There's red plants too. There's yellow but I think that's only when they dying. Wait, I think there's purple plants. Hm...

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Zanera wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

NEPTUNE DAMMIT
SCREW YOU, NETHERLANDS

There's red plants too. There's yellow but I think that's only when they dying. Wait, I think there's purple plants. Hm...

Need I remind you to think on how this yellow aversion of yours makes the poor sunflowers feel?

No, really, I think there are plants of most colors.
Slava Ukraini

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Zanera wrote:
NEPTUNE DAMMIT
SCREW YOU, NETHERLANDS

Need I remind you to think on how this yellow aversion of yours makes the poor sunflowers feel?

No, really, I think there are plants of most colors.

I was thinking more the leaves/stems than flower petals.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 pm

A Humanist Stink wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:

True. But is the grass still green on the other side of the black hole?

Greener, and yes.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:56 pm

The meaning of life is the Logos, the incarnate Word of God. We exist to have a share in His love and grace, now and thereafter.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Hakons wrote:The meaning of life is the Logos, the incarnate Word of God. We exist to have a share in His love and grace, now and thereafter.

Well, that's the meaning that you append to your life, really. For some people, a deity doesn't come into play.
Slava Ukraini

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Hakons wrote:The meaning of life is the Logos, the incarnate Word of God. We exist to have a share in His love and grace, now and thereafter.

For some reason makes me think of this.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General