NATION

PASSWORD

The meaning of life

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:50 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Beylik of Tunis wrote:
So why are you here and not f***ing?

It's hard to find people that want to fuck.

Funny, Olthar said something similar yesterday.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Krasny-Volny wrote:
The South Falls wrote:What if murder fulfils you?

Then you die doing what you fulfills you. Get to go out in a blaze of glory after you break into the wrong house with the "Protected by Smith & Wesson" yard sign.

Where a well meaning home owner will meaningfully blow your brains out.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Geneviev wrote:

James Holmes?

Hotel California. :p
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

We can meaningfully put you in jail where we'll help you, through the use of coloring books, to find meaning in something else. If you're a serial killer, we'll meaningfully lock you up and throw away the key.

Coloring books? Maybe I'll just copiously consume tea.
Krasny-Volny wrote:

Then you die doing what you fulfills you. Get to go out in a blaze of glory after you break into the wrong house with the "Protected by Smith & Wesson" yard sign.

I don't like .357 shot to the face.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:57 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Geneviev wrote:James Holmes?

Hotel California. :p
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
We can meaningfully put you in jail where we'll help you, through the use of coloring books, to find meaning in something else. If you're a serial killer, we'll meaningfully lock you up and throw away the key.

Krasny-Volny wrote:

Copious amounts of tea? Well, you're not so bad. Tea is ambrosia.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Purpelia wrote:That's a fair response. And honestly it lines up mostly with my own views on the subject.

I like to think of it as going through the motions of life to spite the cold and chaotic nature of the universe. A futile battle, but giving the finger to the Void is a great thing.

Personally I think we humans are probably hardwired to look for a meaning in life.

On one hand we are natural pattern matchers. As in we look for patterns and underlying mechanisms in everything compulsively, so much so that we will happily invent them. That's why we see shapes in clouds or a human face on some mountain on Mars and why we invented science. Concepts like "chair", "ball", "god" are all extremely complex patterns into which we instinctively categorize things in ways that are astounding when you think about it. And its not something you even notice that much because it comes so natural to us.
And at the same time we are hard wired to dislike uncertainty to the point where we will happily accept delusions and flat out lies as being true just as long as they provide us with life answers. Ergo religion. We literally feel so instinctively frightened of having an unknowable universe around us that we invent up massive cosmologies to give us comfort.

When you combine the two you get a species that is simply put instinctively designed to try and hammer out a playbook by which to understand everything. And when you combine that with the absolute chaos and uncertainty that comes from the complexity of life which is the exact opposite of all of that you get a strong urge to find a "reason" or "meaning" to it all. Something that comfortably patches over all the holes.

On top of all that as social creatures we humans are hardwired to function in societies and thus likely have a strong urge to find a "place" or function within that group. So much so that lacking such a thing gives us a deep seated feeling of insecurity. And we are demonstratively willing to go through incredible contortions to create and maintain completely nonsensical social norms simply because they provide that security, even if it demonstratively comes at a loss to our quality of life.

And in that respect a "purpose" or "meaning" to life is exactly what must exist in order to underline the validity of what ever role we imagine up.

So it's just inevitable really to want a purpose in life and feel bad if you don't have one. Even if it's always going to be an entirely made up thing.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Hopeington
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hopeington » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:It's the question isn't it? What is the meaning of life?

I have been thinking about it a lot. And I think I know the answer. It's different for everyone. But for me, it's to be happy as possible all the time and to make everyone around you as happy as possible.

It works for both theistic and non theistic points of view.

If there isn't a god, and the only thing after death is just an endless stream of nothing, then you might as well have as much fun and happiness as possible.

You won't be here in the world forever, so make the most of it while you can.

If there is a god, and after death is endless paradise, then making the children of god happy is only a positive thing.

Making others happy can be as simple as cheering them up when they feel blue, to giving a starving man food.

Christianity says that "Charity is the theological virtue by which we love God above all things for his own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God."

Loving our neighbor and loving god and all his creations can be interpreted as making others happy.

In either event, that is what life means to me.

It only makes a positive impact in the world.

But what does life mean to you? Has my way of looking at things changed your mind?

The meaning of life is not being dead.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
I like to think of it as going through the motions of life to spite the cold and chaotic nature of the universe. A futile battle, but giving the finger to the Void is a great thing.

Personally I think we humans are probably hardwired to look for a meaning in life.

On one hand we are natural pattern matchers. As in we look for patterns and underlying mechanisms in everything compulsively, so much so that we will happily invent them. That's why we see shapes in clouds or a human face on some mountain on Mars and why we invented science. Concepts like "chair", "ball", "god" are all extremely complex patterns into which we instinctively categorize things in ways that are astounding when you think about it. And its not something you even notice that much because it comes so natural to us.
And at the same time we are hard wired to dislike uncertainty to the point where we will happily accept delusions and flat out lies as being true just as long as they provide us with life answers. Ergo religion. We literally feel so instinctively frightened of having an unknowable universe around us that we invent up massive cosmologies to give us comfort.

When you combine the two you get a species that is simply put instinctively designed to try and hammer out a playbook by which to understand everything. And when you combine that with the absolute chaos and uncertainty that comes from the complexity of life which is the exact opposite of all of that you get a strong urge to find a "reason" or "meaning" to it all. Something that comfortably patches over all the holes.

On top of all that as social creatures we humans are hardwired to function in societies and thus likely have a strong urge to find a "place" or function within that group. So much so that lacking such a thing gives us a deep seated feeling of insecurity. And we are demonstratively willing to go through incredible contortions to create and maintain completely nonsensical social norms simply because they provide that security, even if it demonstratively comes at a loss to our quality of life.

And in that respect a "purpose" or "meaning" to life is exactly what must exist in order to underline the validity of what ever role we imagine up.

So it's just inevitable really to want a purpose in life and feel bad if you don't have one. Even if it's always going to be an entirely made up thing.

Something I've learned, and this doesn't need to be the case for everyone of course, is that meaning can be in flux. It can change depending on the stage in your life.

When younger, I found meaning in studying and new experiences. Later on, my career gave my life meaning. For some, meaning is found in their faith. For others, family. But it doesn't necessarily have to be in one thing.
Slava Ukraini

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Hopeington wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:It's the question isn't it? What is the meaning of life?

I have been thinking about it a lot. And I think I know the answer. It's different for everyone. But for me, it's to be happy as possible all the time and to make everyone around you as happy as possible.

It works for both theistic and non theistic points of view.

If there isn't a god, and the only thing after death is just an endless stream of nothing, then you might as well have as much fun and happiness as possible.

You won't be here in the world forever, so make the most of it while you can.

If there is a god, and after death is endless paradise, then making the children of god happy is only a positive thing.

Making others happy can be as simple as cheering them up when they feel blue, to giving a starving man food.

Christianity says that "Charity is the theological virtue by which we love God above all things for his own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God."

Loving our neighbor and loving god and all his creations can be interpreted as making others happy.

In either event, that is what life means to me.

It only makes a positive impact in the world.

But what does life mean to you? Has my way of looking at things changed your mind?

The meaning of life is not being dead.

And ensuring that other people don't die. That too.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:07 pm

The meaning of life is whatever we choose to bestow upon it. In this instance I gravitate towards the following:

"Do what I can to improve the lives of others, treat them with respect, and try to leave the world a better place than when I entered it."

Some might find this to be ironic, given my tendencies on NSG arguments.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Something I've learned, and this doesn't need to be the case for everyone of course, is that meaning can be in flux. It can change depending on the stage in your life.

When younger, I found meaning in studying and new experiences. Later on, my career gave my life meaning. For some, meaning is found in their faith. For others, family. But it doesn't necessarily have to be in one thing.

And it all boils down to the fact that all you need is A meaning, any meaning. And that the only thing that matters is that its something that works for you. Because it's all made up on your end so there is no objective standard to measure it against.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Valgora wrote:
Kubumba Tribe wrote:What does that have to do with my post?

1: did she really say that? :eyebrow:
2: what does that have to do with my post?

Do you know who Queen is?

No, nor do I know what Queen has to do with that ayah, or anything in the Holy Qur'an.

Also, to the OP:
You're Catholic, and if I know something about the Bible, it tells you what the meaning of life is, correct?
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Hotel California. :p

Copious amounts of tea? Well, you're not so bad. Tea is ambrosia.

Hopefully I won't get the death penalty.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Something I've learned, and this doesn't need to be the case for everyone of course, is that meaning can be in flux. It can change depending on the stage in your life.

And it all boils down to the fact that all you need is A meaning, any meaning. And that the only thing that matters is that its something that works for you. Because it's all made up on your end so there is no objective standard to measure it against.

I don't disagree. But some people do prefer to think that A Meaning is not made up. In the end, yes. Its a made up thing. Something that justifies what you choose to do.
Slava Ukraini

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Purpelia wrote:And it all boils down to the fact that all you need is A meaning, any meaning. And that the only thing that matters is that its something that works for you. Because it's all made up on your end so there is no objective standard to measure it against.

I don't disagree. But some people do prefer to think that A Meaning is not made up. In the end, yes. Its a made up thing. Something that justifies what you choose to do.

It's not a preference but rather crucial. For a meaning of life to have any functional effect we must at all times be capable of engaging in doublethink on one hand fully believing it to be true and on the other fully willing to tweak and adjust it so that it fits the needs of our daily lives. If the first fails we lose purpose as the meaning obviously fails to be a proper meaning if it's made up. And if the other fails we get what's called a crisis of faith because the thing we believe in starts leading us down dark roads to bad places.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

It's not a preference but rather crucial. For a meaning of life to have any functional effect we must at all times be capable of engaging in doublethink on one hand fully believing it to be true and on the other fully willing to tweak and adjust it so that it fits the needs of our daily lives.

I should have said "justification for why you choose to do what you do". Sorry.
Slava Ukraini

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Purpelia wrote:It's not a preference but rather crucial. For a meaning of life to have any functional effect we must at all times be capable of engaging in doublethink on one hand fully believing it to be true and on the other fully willing to tweak and adjust it so that it fits the needs of our daily lives.

See my big edit.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:28 pm

There is no meaning to any of this

We just exist

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

See my big edit.

Oh, no. I agree. I was just correcting my last sentence. It wasn't supposed to be "Something that justifies what" but rather "justifies why". :p
Slava Ukraini

North Curbstompia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby North Curbstompia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Meaning of life, huh?
Tea and a warm tank barrel.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:31 pm

North Curbstompia wrote:Meaning of life, huh?

I can get with this

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Life absolutely has meaning. We just don't know it. Making the world a better place or something, probably.

Or, the correct Christian answer would that the meaning of life is following Jesus.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Geneviev wrote:Life absolutely has meaning. We just don't know it. Making the world a better place or something, probably.

Or, the correct Christian answer would that the meaning of life is following Jesus.

"Better" is a very subjective term

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Life absolutely has meaning. We just don't know it. Making the world a better place or something, probably.

"Better" is a very subjective term

That's kind of the point.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 pm

North Curbstompia wrote:Meaning of life, huh?

I can get with the first. Maybe not the second. Can I have the HMS Hood?

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Geneviev wrote:
NeuPolska wrote:"Better" is a very subjective term

That's kind of the point.

What if I want to watch the world burn?

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General