NATION

PASSWORD

Food Stamps

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Okay, "you can keep what you kill" is a fringe benefit of carrying out a cull for the state for zero pay.

They wouldn’t be culling anything on purpose.

Fowl.

Thanks.

And Scomagia was saying earlier that there is a dire need of hunters to control deer overpopulation. I suggested hiring hunters instead of giving poor people discounted rifles and letting them keep the meat.

Not really. Besides we don’t need to hire anyone when hunters do a good job of it already

Maybe because you're supporting their idea.

I support helping the poor in hunting for food. I’m not supporting the idea of using them as free labor for culling deer

Maybe we need to show how to distinguish between “Educate people to learn how to hunt,” and, “Use people to get rid of deer”.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:54 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:Verbally-based polls are as precise as asking men the size of their dick. While they are good for measuring soft data (eg confidence), they are extremely bad at measuring hard data (eg consumption expenditures with x item), because people lie even when they don't want to.

Hard data given by BEA and U.S. Census shows that even if you take the average rent burden and compare it as a percentage of the median household income (which is skewed upwards anyways, since the median is innately smaller than the average), rent costs answer for 20%. Which is both miles away from your 30 and 50% figure.

Rent costs are also highly variable from place to place.

We're looking for the whole figures though, and on the other hand the regional incomes vary from place to place either, usually in unison with the cost of living.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

95X
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Food Stamps

Postby 95X » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:43 pm

I was following this thread for a while, seems the topic changed from having certain words and phrases on food stamps to overall opinions regarding food stamps.

Indo-Malaysia wrote:Until you realise that for homeless individuals, they cannot apply for jobs as they have no permanent address.
If one is homeless, there are organizations that can provide them with an address.

Jedi Council wrote:Lets put Homer on our money.
No; the money paid out in royalties would be better used for other reasons, especially if Disney buys Fox.

Annihitor the Incred wrote:The world's most advanced and wealthy country having to hand out food stamps to millions of its own citizens does not seem to me as something remotely associable with patriotic dignity. If anything, it would seem a deliberate irony, a joke at both the recipients' and the country's expense.
That I can agree with.

Salandriagado wrote:The majority of food stamp recipients have jobs.
Herador wrote:After all this they often don't have enough to buy all the food they need, and they shop at Walmart and Foodmaxx, the cheapest they can.
They have the right idea, and it should be expanded upon.

My answer: required budgeting!

As already mentioned, food stamps can't be used to buy everything, and if one is asking for government assistance to buy food the government might want to consider having the right to know how the individual is spending their other funds. For example I'm sure there'd be gigantic decreases in purchases of alcohol, soda, tobacco, "medical/recreational" marijuana, fast food, candy, lottery, and subscription video service.

Scomagia wrote:That's Portland and Salem based decision making for you.
I personally left Portland, Oregon, a couple of years ago; I'm not a conservative nor a Republican but I do not miss it even slightly. But now I'm digressing.

UniversalCommons wrote:Forclosed properties are often held empty and not put on the market by banks…
A property owner, in this situation a bank, has the right to not use the property. But, if I'm not mistaken, this is a thread about food stamps.
Nation not my RL views, etc.
Poe's Law. Nonpartisan.
Is it sad that some I learned AO4LIFE from are no longer in Atlantian Oceania?
“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.”—Niels Bohr
‘Everyone makes mistakes, that's why they put erasers at the end of pencils.’—Bob Monkhouse paraphrase
“If you want to read books, read books.”—Dennis James
AOCAF 22 & 47 Champions! • Volleyball World Expo 1, 2, 4, 7 & 9 Champions!

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:13 pm

Valgora wrote:
The South Falls wrote:I don't think there's enough game in the wild for the poor to hunt. Certain areas have enough game, but others are devoid of it. Would the federal government cover the cost of moving? The cost of guns? What about single parents who are not able to hunt? We'd be better off implementing EITC.

There would be enough game, but not everywhere.
That's why this SHAP would greatly benefit those who are poor in the rural south. Which is where perhaps the majority of poor people who would be on the SNAP live.

The SHAP would be voluntary, so if you don't want it, you ain't a part of it. And it's not made to replace the SNAP.

The government wouldn't really need to cover the cost of moving because people moving to areas for hunting ain't really going to happen.

The government can subsidize the cost of certain firearms and ammunition.

And being a single parent ain't really going to make you unable to hunt.

This is all essentially what I was saying. But apparently, according to some anyway, volunteering is exploitation. Glad somebody got the idea without running it through a bizarre Marxist filter that somehow makes it exploitative.
Insert trite farewell here

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:20 pm

95X wrote:I was following this thread for a while, seems the topic changed from having certain words and phrases on food stamps to overall opinions regarding food stamps.

Indo-Malaysia wrote:Until you realise that for homeless individuals, they cannot apply for jobs as they have no permanent address.
If one is homeless, there are organizations that can provide them with an address.

Jedi Council wrote:Lets put Homer on our money.
No; the money paid out in royalties would be better used for other reasons, especially if Disney buys Fox.

Annihitor the Incred wrote:The world's most advanced and wealthy country having to hand out food stamps to millions of its own citizens does not seem to me as something remotely associable with patriotic dignity. If anything, it would seem a deliberate irony, a joke at both the recipients' and the country's expense.
That I can agree with.

Salandriagado wrote:The majority of food stamp recipients have jobs.
Herador wrote:After all this they often don't have enough to buy all the food they need, and they shop at Walmart and Foodmaxx, the cheapest they can.
They have the right idea, and it should be expanded upon.

My answer: required budgeting!

As already mentioned, food stamps can't be used to buy everything, and if one is asking for government assistance to buy food the government might want to consider having the right to know how the individual is spending their other funds. For example I'm sure there'd be gigantic decreases in purchases of alcohol, soda, tobacco, "medical/recreational" marijuana, fast food, candy, lottery, and subscription video service.

Scomagia wrote:That's Portland and Salem based decision making for you.
I personally left Portland, Oregon, a couple of years ago; I'm not a conservative nor a Republican but I do not miss it even slightly. But now I'm digressing.

UniversalCommons wrote:Forclosed properties are often held empty and not put on the market by banks…
A property owner, in this situation a bank, has the right to not use the property. But, if I'm not mistaken, this is a thread about food stamps.

Hey, I'm no conservative or Republican either. I just can't stand the Portland style liberalism which is fundamentally anti conservation despite nominally supporting "animal rights". It's exactly what you get when urbanites dictate policy on things they are absolutely ignorant about. But now I'm digressing, as well. :p
Insert trite farewell here

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Since I think we should remove in god we trust from the money and put our actual moto e pluribus unum on it...yeah my position should be pretty obvious.

Agreed. E Pluribus Unum has appeared on our currency from the earliest days, while in god we trust only dates back to 1863.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

FutureAmerica
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby FutureAmerica » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 pm

The US should eliminate food stamps all together.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:32 pm

FutureAmerica wrote:The US should eliminate food stamps all together.

This.
tho expand EITC
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Rockwellshire
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rockwellshire » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Abolish food stamps, SS, Medicare/caid, abolish the federal minimum wage. Essentiall scrap all welfare and cut military spending by a third and give every a modest basic income. That will sustain people for a good while while forcing them to find work. Taxes would drastically be lowered so companies could pay more, though they won't, and employees will keep nearly every penny of their pay and everyone gets welfare instead of just a couple groups of people.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Rockwellshire wrote:Abolish food stamps, SS, Medicare/caid, abolish the federal minimum wage. Essentiall scrap all welfare and cut military spending by a third and give every a modest basic income. That will sustain people for a good while while forcing them to find work. Taxes would drastically be lowered so companies could pay more, though they won't, and employees will keep nearly every penny of their pay and everyone gets welfare instead of just a couple groups of people.

so close down every base outside the United States?
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Rockwellshire wrote:Abolish food stamps, SS, Medicare/caid, abolish the federal minimum wage. Essentiall scrap all welfare and cut military spending by a third and give every a modest basic income. That will sustain people for a good while while forcing them to find work. Taxes would drastically be lowered so companies could pay more, though they won't, and employees will keep nearly every penny of their pay and everyone gets welfare instead of just a couple groups of people.

abolish the federal minimum wage

give every a modest basic income

Pick one.
That will sustain people for a good while while forcing them to find work.

Which will now be even lower paid than minimum wage. Good job.
Taxes would drastically be lowered so companies could pay more

Lol
though they won't

Then wtf is even the point?
and employees will keep nearly every penny of their pay

Like minimum wage workers already do?
and everyone gets welfare instead of just a couple groups of people

You just abolished all welfare remember? Where is this magically coming from?
:?: :?: :?:

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:07 pm

Genivaria wrote:

Pick one.

Lol
though they won't

Sounds like he's parroting the Finnish universal income experiment without really understanding how it was supposed to work. Which is fair, I suppose, since I'm still not sure if I understand how it was supposed to work.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Rockwellshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rockwellshire » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Genivaria wrote:

Pick one.

Lol
though they won't

Basic income and minimum wage are in no way mutually exclusive. Especially since only the FEDERAL minimum wage is abolished, not state or city.

The people most effected would be the ones abusing welfare as they now only get a modest basic income as their only form of welfare. Most people would be better of or they will join unions.

Minimum wage employees still pay a MINIMUM of 13% just to MAINTAIN SS and Medicare/caid which they will never see as they are maintaining the current system, not bolstering it. Add in state and local taxs and you're looking at about 20%.

Basic income IS a form of welfare. Just like the EITC is.

Rockwellshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rockwellshire » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Genivaria wrote:

Pick one.

Lol

Sounds like he's parroting the Finnish universal income experiment without really understanding how it was supposed to work. Which is fair, I suppose, since I'm still not sure if I understand how it was supposed to work.

Not parroting,improving upon it. There have been experiments in the U.S and Canada well before that. Also one in the Netherlands. None went as far in cutting welfare or abolishing the minimum wage. So while the experiments would be similar the end results would show which system had a greater effect

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:15 pm

Rockwellshire wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:Sounds like he's parroting the Finnish universal income experiment without really understanding how it was supposed to work. Which is fair, I suppose, since I'm still not sure if I understand how it was supposed to work.

Not parroting,improving upon it. There have been experiments in the U.S and Canada well before that. Also one in the Netherlands. None went as far in cutting welfare or abolishing the minimum wage. So while the experiments would be similar the end results would show which system had a greater effect

You are not.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Rockwellshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rockwellshire » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Rockwellshire wrote:

You are not.

Absolutely am. Fine is just a free market version instead of a social democratic version.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Rockwellshire wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:You are not.

Absolutely am. Fine is just a free market version instead of a social democratic version.

Ah yes the 'free market version' of welfare.
Also known as 'let the weak die'.

Rockwellshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rockwellshire » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Rockwellshire wrote:

Ah yes the 'free market version' of welfare.

If you are horrendously biased, sure. A true economist and/or policy maker would want to try it out in as many circumstances as possible before implementing one. Trying one and saying "Good enough" is how we got the global economy into such a mess in the first place

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Rockwellshire wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Ah yes the 'free market version' of welfare.

If you are horrendously biased, sure. A true economist and/or policy maker would want to try it out in as many circumstances as possible before implementing one. Trying one and saying "Good enough" is how we got the global economy into such a mess in the first place

No I just have more of an understanding of economics than 'privatize everything!'.

Rockwellshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rockwellshire » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Rockwellshire wrote:

No I just have more of an understanding of economics than 'privatize everything!'.

As do I. Thus reducing the military size to pay down the debt thus enabling the savings from interest payments to go elsewhere such as the basic income. I left state minimum wage alone as the federal minimum wage was wreaking havoc on the Puerto Rican economy. States could also set up welfare programs on their own. In effect it's a massive devolution of powers so liberal states would run one system while conservative states have another. Devolution is usually better for everyone economically speaking.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Rockwellshire wrote:
Genivaria wrote:No I just have more of an understanding of economics than 'privatize everything!'.

As do I. Thus reducing the military size to pay down the debt thus enabling the savings from interest payments to go elsewhere such as the basic income. I left state minimum wage alone as the federal minimum wage was wreaking havoc on the Puerto Rican economy. States could also set up welfare programs on their own. In effect it's a massive devolution of powers so liberal states would run one system while conservative states have another. Devolution is usually better for everyone economically speaking.

Oh god this stupid shit again.

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Rockwellshire wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:You are not.

Yours is a version in which poor people are paid a fraction of what they are now, cannot afford sufficient savings or insurance to protect themselves, and have no government recourse in case of sickness or injury.

To put it another way: your idea will kill people. There's no getting around that.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Rockwellshire wrote:

Yours is a version in which poor people are paid a fraction of what they are now, cannot afford sufficient savings or insurance to protect themselves, and have no government recourse in case of sickness or injury.

To put it another way: your idea will kill people. There's no getting around that.

What's wrong with that?

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:Yours is a version in which poor people are paid a fraction of what they are now, cannot afford sufficient savings or insurance to protect themselves, and have no government recourse in case of sickness or injury.

What's wrong with that?

Look, I'm not saying we should do it... I just want to know what the system says would happen if we did.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Rockwellshire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rockwellshire » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Rockwellshire wrote:

Oh god this stupid shit again.

Collapse of the Soviet Union. Best example of this. Checkmate commie.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General