NATION

PASSWORD

Should heavy metal be banned?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:23 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Nucego wrote:

Good idea. It will popularize antireligious sentiment and motivate enough people to implement state atheism and leagues of militant godless.

Excuse me. I have a religion. Please don't lump me -- or all other people with a faith -- in with this idea.

I think banning heavy metal is ridiculous, anti-freedom, completely unnecessary and -- as the only studies produced to date (by me) have shown heavy metal potentially beneficial -- possibly harmful to the people who enjoy it.

The South Falls wrote:This is making censorship palatable for the people. It doesn't make sense.

It's not making censorship more palatable to me.

Censorship of art, music, literature or film is bullshit.

Don't like it, don't listen.

Moralists and priests are not placed to judge secular music.

It's supposed to be bullshit. More people should see it that way.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Monsters and Humans
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsters and Humans » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:23 am

First internet licenses? And now this mess?

NS summer never fails to make my brain cells die from all these stupid threads.
Hello! I am Monsters and Humans! ^w^ Yes as you can tell I'm Undertale trash... But just so you know I didn't base my entire nation on Undertale I just did the Monster part!

Read my factbooks to find out about my lore!

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:29 am

I think banning films and television that promote shit values would be more effective. We could do without le dog of fence street and men and their fraction
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Nucego
Attaché

Founded: Jul 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nucego » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 am

Nucego wrote:

Good idea. It will popularize antireligious sentiment and motivate enough people to implement state atheism and leagues of militant godless.

Excuse me. I have a religion. Please don't lump me -- or all other people with a faith -- in with this idea.

Not lumping you in, just thinking what the reaction to such a thing would be like. All some people need is a justification and then churches would burn and the religious would suffer, whether they agree or not. It would then inspire reaction on the other side and before you know it, it's a ping pong match with a bomb as the ball.

The Parkus Empire wrote:I think banning films and television that promote shit values would be more effective. We could do without le dog of fence street and men and their fraction

How'd you punish the breachers of said ban?
You're unique. Have a nuke, I insist. <[☢]Σ I am the Nuclear Stirner, wet nightmare of mutually assured NAP violation.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 am

Nucego wrote:How'd you punish the breachers of said ban?

Fines for the theaters and television channels.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 am

Nucego wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Excuse me. I have a religion. Please don't lump me -- or all other people with a faith -- in with this idea.

Not lumping you in, just thinking what the reaction to such a thing would be like. All some people need is a justification and then churches would burn and the religious would suffer, whether they agree or not. It would then inspire reaction on the other side and before you know it, it's a ping pong match with a bomb as the ball.

No, that's a fair point. I read the tone differently before.

But, what you say is true. If all the leaders of the western world had a collective brainfart and decided to implement this, having all your music (or anything, really) judged by a panel of ultra-fundie religious-types straight out of Hayes-era Hollywood would be enough to make most tolerant atheists intolerant and most liberal religious people (minimally) agnostic.

People wouldn't take it lying down.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The Batavia
Senator

Founded: May 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Batavia » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:I think banning films and television that promote shit values would be more effective. We could do without le dog of fence street and men and their fraction

How about no
Ditched my old signature. Will be making a pretty looking one when I find the time.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:46 am

And who will decide what are shit values?
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:46 am

The Batavia wrote:

How about no

I think yes, Hollywood and TV exert enormous influence on our culture, nothing wrong with expecting a little responsibility.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:48 am

Andsed wrote:

And who will decide what are shit values?

A board of moral experts (I mean religious leaders, that can include atheist religious leaders).
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Andsed wrote:And who will decide what are shit values?

A board of moral experts (I mean religious leaders, that can include atheist religious leaders).

So what your basically saying is we should censor shows because of what religious and atheist leaders think? What about political beliefs those will surely be censored as well with this idea.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 am

Andsed wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:A board of moral experts (I mean religious leaders, that can include atheist religious leaders).

So what your basically saying is we should censor shows because of what religious and atheist leaders think? What about political beliefs those will surely be censored as well with this idea.

I generally find with people who banner-wave for the censorship of the arts, as long as it's not their ideas or political beliefs, they're generally not concerned.

EDIT: People who cheer for artistic censorship never think their ideas will be caught in the purge.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 am

And I thought the peak of NS summer was the guy with the internet license idea...

This would just be impractical to implement, not to mention just plain ridiculous.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Nearly Finland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 12, 2015

Postby Nearly Finland » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 am

Nope. It's a type of music, there's gonna be good stuff and bad stuff. I happen to listen to a lot of super-fun metal, like Alestorm's pirate songs - heck, I've even heard a good polka song once. It's arguable that banning pineapple pizza might be a better idea.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 am

Andsed wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:A board of moral experts (I mean religious leaders, that can include atheist religious leaders).

Because of what religious leaders think. There are no nonreligious moral experts. But some religions, like Buddhism, are atheistic.

Political beliefs being censored in film and TV shows is of no consequence (this is supposing worst case scenario), since they're nothing but privatized propaganda in the hands of a small wealthy elite.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 am

This is ridiculous. Let's say that hypothetically metal should be banned. If we do that, then genres like rap and standard rock will also have to be banned, as they will be the next most violent music genres. Then we'd have to ban pop, because it encourages partying and drinking. Patriotic music encourages war, and would have to be banned. Blues could lead to depression, and would be banned. Soon, we'd be all out of music to listen to.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 am

Side 3 wrote:This is ridiculous. Let's say that hypothetically metal should be banned. If we do that, then genres like rap and standard rock will also have to be banned, as they will be the next most violent music genres. Then we'd have to ban pop, because it encourages partying and drinking. Patriotic music encourages war, and would have to be banned. Blues could lead to depression, and would be banned. Soon, we'd be all out of music to listen to.

What about Gregorian chants and Tibetan throat singing?
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Nucego
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Nucego » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:02 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Nucego wrote:How'd you punish the breachers of said ban?

Fines for the theaters and television channels.

Okay, so it's only gonna cost a little more to display popular shows. Big deal. They'd still get their money with ol' Parkus getting a cut. Then what?

Nucego wrote:Not lumping you in, just thinking what the reaction to such a thing would be like. All some people need is a justification and then churches would burn and the religious would suffer, whether they agree or not. It would then inspire reaction on the other side and before you know it, it's a ping pong match with a bomb as the ball.

No, that's a fair point. I read the tone differently before.

But, what you say is true. If all the leaders of the western world had a collective brainfart and decided to implement this, having all your music (or anything, really) judged by a panel of ultra-fundie religious-types straight out of Hayes-era Hollywood would be enough to make most tolerant atheists intolerant and most liberal religious people (minimally) agnostic.

As they shouldn't. There will be grave repercussions for anyone in support of such motion. Society will get its retribution from being unnecessarily and unfairly stepped on.

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Andsed wrote:And who will decide what are shit values?

It's a good thing the people can just march in, grab the fuckers by the balls, throw them in the garbage where they belong and threaten against further attempts.
You're unique. Have a nuke, I insist. <[☢]Σ I am the Nuclear Stirner, wet nightmare of mutually assured NAP violation.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:02 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Andsed wrote:So what your basically saying is we should censor shows because of what religious and atheist leaders think? What about political beliefs those will surely be censored as well with this idea.

Because of what religious leaders think. There are no nonreligious moral experts. But some religions, like Buddhism, are atheistic.

No. No. No. Just no.

Religious leaders do not have the right to dictate the shape of the entertainment industry to atheists. One religion does not have the right to dictate the shape of the entertainment industry to another. One denomination does not have the right to dictate to another. One person does not have the right to dictate appropriate music, books or films to another.

People can watch, look at, listen to, and read whatever the bloody hell they want.

If you don't like it, walk out of the room!

EDIT: And as for "no nonreligious moral experts"; I've personally met atheists who are more moral than many of the Christians I've known. Atheists may have more taste than to brand themselves a moral expert, but religion =/= morality.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Otira
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Otira » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:04 am

Racist Commonwelath of East Virginia wrote:
Otira wrote:No, music should be open to free expression.

If weed is banned, why shouldn’t heavy metal be banned? It promotes a culture of anger, rage and nihilism that is harmful.

Weed shouldn't be banned.

His Excellence
Envoy

Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby His Excellence » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 am

Critics of heavy metal almost entirely rely on knee jerk reactions, acting like songs focused on unsavory subjects are commending what they're actually denouncing, or pretending that bands like Mayhem are the norm instead of an extreme outlier. Too much stock is being taken on how harsh and angry the music sounds, over what's actually making the band angry.

Attempting such a ban just sounds like a really sad attempt at trying to police peoples' emotions and expression of ideals, which if successful (and that's a big IF) would inevitably roll downhill into some We Happy Few territory where nobody's allowed to express any amount of discontent with the immorality of others.

Until the world is a perfect place where nobody hates each other, makes bad decisions, or is alienated for being different, the genre will continue to act as an outlet for musicians and fans alike.

Edit: on further thinking, weed is actually more relevant here than I'd initially considered, given that the Nixon administration (supposedly?) only criminalized it so they could wage war on anti-war hippies. Government does something that people disagree with, then outlaws whatever will give themselves carte blanche on silencing dissent.
Last edited by His Excellence on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:07 am

Nucego wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Fines for the theaters and television channels.

Okay, so it's only gonna cost a little more to display popular shows. Big deal. They'd still get their money with ol' Parkus getting a cut. Then what?

The Free Joy State wrote:No, that's a fair point. I read the tone differently before.

As they shouldn't. There will be grave repercussions for anyone in support of such motion. Society will get its retribution from being unnecessarily and unfairly stepped on.

It's a good thing the people can just march in, grab the fuckers by the balls, throw them in the garbage where they belong and threaten against further attempts.

Increase the fine until they're deterred.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:07 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Religious leaders do not have the right to dictate the shape of the entertainment industry to atheists. One religion does not have the right to dictate the shape of the entertainment industry to another.

Yes. All this talk of "moral councils" deciding which music should be banned is absolutely ludicrous. It is similar to something that Saudi Arabia and Iran has.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:Because of what religious leaders think. There are no nonreligious moral experts. But some religions, like Buddhism, are atheistic.

No. No. No. Just no.

Religious leaders do not have the right to dictate the shape of the entertainment industry to atheists. One religion does not have the right to dictate the shape of the entertainment industry to another. One denomination does not have the right to dictate to another. One person does not have the right to dictate appropriate music, books or films to another.

People can watch, look at, listen to, and read whatever the bloody hell they want.

If you don't like it, walk out of the room!

EDIT: And as for "no nonreligious moral experts"; I've personally met atheists who are more moral than many of the Christians I've known. Atheists may have more taste than to brand themselves a moral expert, but religion =/= morality.

The nonreligious don't have moral experts. That's not my fault.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Nucego
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Nucego » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Nucego wrote:Okay, so it's only gonna cost a little more to display popular shows. Big deal. They'd still get their money with ol' Parkus getting a cut. Then what?

Increase the fine until they're deterred.

And when they stop paying the fine altogether?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General