NATION

PASSWORD

Is NSG useless?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76675
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Natapoc wrote:Did I not already suggest that it was simply a misunderstanding of your intent based on the way you phrased it? Why are we still arguing about this?

You didn't out and say that it was a misunderstanding until your last post. That is the reason why the argument is 'still going on'.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Natapoc
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19864
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Natapoc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Will you just let go of it already? It was a simple misunderstanding.

Typically, when there is a misunderstanding, one party admits that the misunderstanding occurred before they had been called on it several times.


Perhaps so. What is your intent in this post?
Did you see a ghost?

User avatar
Rhodmhire
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17421
Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Natapoc wrote:Why are we still arguing about this?


Because it's NSG.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

User avatar
Tagmatium
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16593
Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tagmatium » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:
Natapoc wrote:I understand. I'm simply explaining why I interpreted it that way at the time.

The argument between the pair of you in this thread seems to reflect the OP.

It seems to.

There's seems to be a habit of willful obtuseness.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

User avatar
Natapoc
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19864
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Natapoc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Why are we still arguing about this?

Because you're both young and arrogant.


Oh thank you. So full of love today.
Did you see a ghost?

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76675
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Natapoc wrote:Perhaps so. What is your intent in this post?

My intent is to prove that you were trying to avoid admitting that you had went on the defensive and took a statement that was not only a rather mild suggestion, but entirely not an attack and went on the defensive, something that you had previously denied doing.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76675
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Natapoc wrote:Oh thank you. So full of love today.

Tough love is the best kind, Natapoc.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 185023
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Why are we still arguing about this?

Because you're both young and arrogant.


Thanks, Yoot. ;)
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Natapoc
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19864
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Natapoc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Perhaps so. What is your intent in this post?

My intent is to prove that you were trying to avoid admitting that you had went on the defensive and took a statement that was not only a rather mild suggestion, but entirely not an attack and went on the defensive, something that you had previously denied doing.


Not really and why would it matter if I did (not to say I did)?
Also here is where I realized she was not saying what I suspected she was saying:
viewtopic.php?p=1831786#p1831786
Did you see a ghost?

User avatar
Natapoc
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19864
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Natapoc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Oh thank you. So full of love today.

Tough love is the best kind, Natapoc.


Yes sir!
Did you see a ghost?

User avatar
Palledonia
Attaché
 
Posts: 68
Founded: Apr 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Palledonia » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:21 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Why are we still arguing about this?


Because it's NSG.

Ahh, my first quote to sig.

Lot's of things on NSG are usless, then again lots of things on the net are.
Rhodmhire wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Why are we still arguing about this?


Because it's NSG.

User avatar
Jocabia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5273
Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:22 pm

Fanaglia wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Does anyone come on to NSG to discuss and learn from others or do most just like to troll?

Do you mainly post to try to "argue/compete" with other posters simply to satiate a desire for conflict/attention?

I find that in real life people are nearly always kind, agreeable, ect and very easy to talk with but on NSG so many posters are exasperating.

Do discussions here have any impact at all or is it just a game to you?

edit: When I say is NSG useless I mean is it useless as a platform for discussion and debate of genuine feelings and ideologies held by posters.


I think it's a pretty good place for debate etc., though it certainly has its share of spammers, flamers, and attention whores. It's a whole lot better than most RL debates, where nine times out of ten, one or both parties get all huffy and resort to personal attacks or even violence. Here, at least, you don't have the violence and, though you do still get the inevitability of inane personal attacks, you get more people just giving up and moving on than you do in real life. I'd like to argue with someone like UAWC or Nobel Hobos IRL just to see how that would go.

Plus, working in public service and being a hard-nosed cynic has made me realize something: 9/10 people do not know how to listen. Ever. If it's in print, you might at least accidentally educate someone, assuming your reader is half-literate.

I've argued with Aerou, Deus Malus, Kiryu, Hammurab, Ilie, The Chocolate Goddess, and a number of other face to face or on the phone and I'd have to say it really wasn't that different. I know that my personality carries better via my voice and that helps people know when I'm joking and takes the edge off of most of my comments, but more or less it's the same otherwise.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76675
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Natapoc wrote:Not really and why would it matter if I did (not to say I did)?

Yeah, really, and it matters because hypocrisy and lies are to exposed whenever possible. Even in minor matters, it not only makes for interesting debate, but occasionally leads to a reduction in the occurrence of both (I do not realistically expect anyone, including myself, to entirely stop being liars and hypocrites, and would hope that someone would call me out should I make such a mistake).
Also here is where I realized she was not saying what I suspected she was saying:
viewtopic.php?p=1831786#p1831786

You fail to directly admit as much.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Rhodmhire
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17421
Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Palledonia wrote:
Rhodmhire wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Why are we still arguing about this?


Because it's NSG.

Ahh, my first quote to sig.

Lot's of things on NSG are usless, then again lots of things on the net are.


......Let me take a few minutes to contemplate how you might not mean this in the way that I think you do...
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

User avatar
Palledonia
Attaché
 
Posts: 68
Founded: Apr 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Palledonia » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Palledonia wrote:
Rhodmhire wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Why are we still arguing about this?


Because it's NSG.

Ahh, my first quote to sig.

Lot's of things on NSG are usless, then again lots of things on the net are.


......Let me take a few minutes to contemplate how you might not mean this in the way that I think you do...

I'll give you time.
Rhodmhire wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Why are we still arguing about this?


Because it's NSG.

User avatar
Natapoc
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19864
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Natapoc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Not really and why would it matter if I did (not to say I did)?

Yeah, really, and it matters because hypocrisy and lies are to exposed whenever possible. Even in minor matters, it not only makes for interesting debate, but occasionally leads to a reduction in the occurrence of both (I do not realistically expect anyone, including myself, to entirely stop being liars and hypocrites, and would hope that someone would call me out should I make such a mistake).
Also here is where I realized she was not saying what I suspected she was saying:
viewtopic.php?p=1831786#p1831786

You fail to directly admit as much.


And how do you expect that I would know what another poster intended to say before I fully realized what the other poster intended to say?

Directly admit? You act as though misunderstanding someone is some sort of crime.
Did you see a ghost?

User avatar
Fanaglia
Senator
 
Posts: 4071
Founded: Nov 09, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Fanaglia » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Fanaglia wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Does anyone come on to NSG to discuss and learn from others or do most just like to troll?

Do you mainly post to try to "argue/compete" with other posters simply to satiate a desire for conflict/attention?

I find that in real life people are nearly always kind, agreeable, ect and very easy to talk with but on NSG so many posters are exasperating.

Do discussions here have any impact at all or is it just a game to you?

edit: When I say is NSG useless I mean is it useless as a platform for discussion and debate of genuine feelings and ideologies held by posters.


I think it's a pretty good place for debate etc., though it certainly has its share of spammers, flamers, and attention whores. It's a whole lot better than most RL debates, where nine times out of ten, one or both parties get all huffy and resort to personal attacks or even violence. Here, at least, you don't have the violence and, though you do still get the inevitability of inane personal attacks, you get more people just giving up and moving on than you do in real life. I'd like to argue with someone like UAWC or Nobel Hobos IRL just to see how that would go.

Plus, working in public service and being a hard-nosed cynic has made me realize something: 9/10 people do not know how to listen. Ever. If it's in print, you might at least accidentally educate someone, assuming your reader is half-literate.


I suspect that in real life you would find yourself agreeing more with them (and they with you) after you realize that most of your disagreements are artificial.


Wait, what? Evidence.

I'm not saying that I disagree with you; on the internet, everyone is an extremist. I'm sure we would probably get along with our (probably) toned down RL assertions, but what I'm lost on is your comment about disagreements being artificial. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook
OOC: Fanaglia is a steampunk nation; whenever I post IC, I'm posting from 1886. That, or from some sort of weird time rift in which my characters don't realize they are in fact 127 years in the future.
Barringtonia wrote:Only dirty hippies ride bicycles, white supremacists don't ride bicycles EVER, although the Nazis did steal a lot of bicycles from the Dutch, but that was to use the steel to make TANKS!

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Jesus H. Christ on a jelly pogo stick of justice.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:NS forums are SUPERGOOGLE.

The power of dozens of ordinary humans simultaneously interrogating a search engine with slightly different keywords. I'm getting all teared up just thinking of the power.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 185023
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Jocabia wrote:
Fanaglia wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Does anyone come on to NSG to discuss and learn from others or do most just like to troll?

Do you mainly post to try to "argue/compete" with other posters simply to satiate a desire for conflict/attention?

I find that in real life people are nearly always kind, agreeable, ect and very easy to talk with but on NSG so many posters are exasperating.

Do discussions here have any impact at all or is it just a game to you?

edit: When I say is NSG useless I mean is it useless as a platform for discussion and debate of genuine feelings and ideologies held by posters.


I think it's a pretty good place for debate etc., though it certainly has its share of spammers, flamers, and attention whores. It's a whole lot better than most RL debates, where nine times out of ten, one or both parties get all huffy and resort to personal attacks or even violence. Here, at least, you don't have the violence and, though you do still get the inevitability of inane personal attacks, you get more people just giving up and moving on than you do in real life. I'd like to argue with someone like UAWC or Nobel Hobos IRL just to see how that would go.

Plus, working in public service and being a hard-nosed cynic has made me realize something: 9/10 people do not know how to listen. Ever. If it's in print, you might at least accidentally educate someone, assuming your reader is half-literate.

I've argued with Aerou, Deus Malus, Kiryu, Hammurab, Ilie, The Chocolate Goddess, and a number of other face to face or on the phone and I'd have to say it really wasn't that different. I know that my personality carries better via my voice and that helps people know when I'm joking and takes the edge off of most of my comments, but more or less it's the same otherwise.

Argued with Galloism, RhynoD, The Imperial Navy, among others through the phone and it is no different than here.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21714
Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:26 pm

This thread devolved into useless....
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 185023
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Not really and why would it matter if I did (not to say I did)?

Yeah, really, and it matters because hypocrisy and lies are to exposed whenever possible. Even in minor matters, it not only makes for interesting debate, but occasionally leads to a reduction in the occurrence of both (I do not realistically expect anyone, including myself, to entirely stop being liars and hypocrites, and would hope that someone would call me out should I make such a mistake).
Also here is where I realized she was not saying what I suspected she was saying:
viewtopic.php?p=1831786#p1831786

You fail to directly admit as much.


And how do you expect that I would know what another poster intended to say before I fully realized what the other poster intended to say?

Directly admit? You act as though misunderstanding someone is some sort of crime.


By reading the post carefully and not jumping into hasty conclusions. I learned this the hard way.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Palledonia
Attaché
 
Posts: 68
Founded: Apr 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Palledonia » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:27 pm

SaintB wrote:This thread devolved into useless-ness....

I agree; but it's a habit we all face.
Rhodmhire wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Why are we still arguing about this?


Because it's NSG.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 131548
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:29 pm

SaintB wrote:This thread devolved into useless....

The ironing is delicious.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Pivovarsky
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1019
Founded: Feb 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pivovarsky » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:29 pm

If it's popsicle, it's possible!

And when an Australian guy let an Ann Coulter poster be posted up there... ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, but NSG being useless? That ain't possible.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” - Stephen Roberts
East Fancainia wrote:^This

Wilconson wrote:^This

Grenartia wrote:This^ alone will get the thread at least to page 4

Quailtopia wrote:^This.
New Olwe (Not Active) - Pivovarskian Civil War (2010), War of Mongolia (2010)
Lazuril (Not Active) - Pivovarskian Civil War (2010), War of Mongolia (2010)

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76675
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Natapoc wrote:And how do you expect that I would know what another poster intended to say before I fully realized what the other poster intended to say?

By calling upon your knowledge of the English language? Honestly, what kind of a question is that, you read something, and based on previous knowledge of definitions and word usage, you come to a conclusion. You seemed to have completely ignored the fact that it wasn't even an argument, and went on the defensive, taking the statement as a personal attack, thus proving NERVUN's earlier statement.
Directly admit? You act as though misunderstanding someone is some sort of crime.

No, but continuing to deny your own actions and refusing to admit that it was a misunderstanding after some time is quite... How to put this... Disreputable, is the closest I can get, I'm certain there's a more accurate word in the English language for the meaning I'm looking for.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Natapoc
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19864
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Natapoc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Fanaglia wrote:
Natapoc wrote:
Fanaglia wrote:
Natapoc wrote:Does anyone come on to NSG to discuss and learn from others or do most just like to troll?

Do you mainly post to try to "argue/compete" with other posters simply to satiate a desire for conflict/attention?

I find that in real life people are nearly always kind, agreeable, ect and very easy to talk with but on NSG so many posters are exasperating.

Do discussions here have any impact at all or is it just a game to you?

edit: When I say is NSG useless I mean is it useless as a platform for discussion and debate of genuine feelings and ideologies held by posters.


I think it's a pretty good place for debate etc., though it certainly has its share of spammers, flamers, and attention whores. It's a whole lot better than most RL debates, where nine times out of ten, one or both parties get all huffy and resort to personal attacks or even violence. Here, at least, you don't have the violence and, though you do still get the inevitability of inane personal attacks, you get more people just giving up and moving on than you do in real life. I'd like to argue with someone like UAWC or Nobel Hobos IRL just to see how that would go.

Plus, working in public service and being a hard-nosed cynic has made me realize something: 9/10 people do not know how to listen. Ever. If it's in print, you might at least accidentally educate someone, assuming your reader is half-literate.


I suspect that in real life you would find yourself agreeing more with them (and they with you) after you realize that most of your disagreements are artificial.


Wait, what? Evidence.

I'm not saying that I disagree with you; on the internet, everyone is an extremist. I'm sure we would probably get along with our (probably) toned down RL assertions, but what I'm lost on is your comment about disagreements being artificial. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.


What I mean is that in real life arguments over political issues tend to vanish (at least for me) to instead be replaced by talking about life experiences, things people enjoy, which place to go to to eat, ect. I've found that in real life after a short time I can agree with most people on most things.

Most capitalists don't really want to see workers suffer for example.
Did you see a ghost?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5 kingdoms of Britannia, Aggicificicerous, Andoros, Bear Stearns, Electic, Estanglia, Fondheart, Gagium, Germanic Templars, Graag Brom, Greater vakolicci haven, Ifreann, Kannap, Kowani, Kragholm Free States, Land of Conservation, Lower Nubia, MLGDogeland, Munkcestrian Republic, Newne Carriebean7, Niwe Myrce, Ohznapits, Pacomia, Platypus Bureaucracy, The Chuck, The Greater Ohio Valley, The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord, Tybra, Vassenor, Wealth Of Nation

Advertisement

Remove ads