NATION

PASSWORD

The Christian Discussion Thread X: Originally there were 15

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
9%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
10%
Methodist
2%
Baptist
10%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
8%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
4%
Other Christian
15%

Total votes : 935

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:By the standards of his Christian supporters, he would not be considered a Christian.

That's some blatant fucking bullshit.

Northern Davincia wrote:There is nothing else I can do for the damned. Enlighten me with scripture if you feel otherwise.

You could not exert condescending pity on them. Tars has the right idea. Whether or not hell is permanent (torturing someone for eternity as 'punishment' makes no sense, since a punishment implies the ability to demonstrate rehabilitation), people who are there shouldn't be pitied as if any of us are any better than them.

Sometimes punishment is intended to promote rehabiliitation, which is why a penitentiary implies "penance".
But especially these days it is officially justified as simple retribution. It makes us feel good to punish the guilty, and we do not care whether or not it brings them any benefit
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Pope Joan wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

You could not exert condescending pity on them. Tars has the right idea. Whether or not hell is permanent (torturing someone for eternity as 'punishment' makes no sense, since a punishment implies the ability to demonstrate rehabilitation), people who are there shouldn't be pitied as if any of us are any better than them.

Sometimes punishment is intended to promote rehabiliitation, which is why a penitentiary implies "penance".
But especially these days it is officially justified as simple retribution. It makes us feel good to punish the guilty, and we do not care whether or not it brings them any benefit

And that makes the world a worse place, and it needs to change.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:51 pm

Grenartia wrote:You could not exert condescending pity on them. Tars has the right idea. Whether or not hell is permanent (torturing someone for eternity as 'punishment' makes no sense, since a punishment implies the ability to demonstrate rehabilitation), people who are there shouldn't be pitied as if any of us are any better than them.

The righteous are objectively better than those in Hell, but that's besides the point. I genuinely feel sorry for the people who made such terrible life choices that they're now condemned to a second death.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:07 pm

Pope Joan wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Lewis Carroll resolved the Paradox. Infinite punishment for finite Sin is unjust.
All you gotta do is translate the Greek word "aeon" NOT as eternal punishment; translate it as punishment for a very long time,

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:09 pm

Auristania wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:

Lewis Carroll resolved the Paradox. Infinite punishment for finite Sin is unjust.
All you gotta do is translate the Greek word "aeon" NOT as eternal punishment; translate it as punishment for a very long time,

And what of mentioning eternal life?
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 pm

Auristania wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:

Sin is not finite, or a number of sins. It is a qualitative measure, not quantitative. All sin is an infinite transgression against God. When we say that we are sinful, we are not saying that we committed a certain number of sins, but that we are qualitatively sinners, as opposed to righteous. Additionally, I'll prefer the words of Christ over whoever Lewis Carroll is. Alternatively, we could also look at the Church in Greece and see that they interpret Hell as being eternal as well, with the exception of UMN's mentioning of the Orthodox opinion held by some that people may be saved from Hell (though obviously not all people, which is what you claim).
Last edited by Hakons on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:14 am

Minachia wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:Christ Has Risen, my Orthodox Brothers and Sisters!

Last week, someone on my region's Discord server called me a heretic and an infidel for celebrating Easter then.
Just thought I should share that.

You mean Catholic Easter (last Sunday) or Pascha (this past Sunday)?

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:18 am

Hakons wrote:
Auristania wrote:Lewis Carroll resolved the Paradox. Infinite punishment for finite Sin is unjust.

I'll prefer the words of Christ over whoever Lewis Carroll is.

*SIGH*
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:21 am

Hakons wrote:
Auristania wrote:Lewis Carroll resolved the Paradox. Infinite punishment for finite Sin is unjust.

Sin is not finite, or a number of sins. It is a qualitative measure, not quantitative. All sin is an infinite transgression against God. When we say that we are sinful, we are not saying that we committed a certain number of sins, but that we are qualitatively sinners, as opposed to righteous. Additionally, I'll prefer the words of Christ over whoever Lewis Carroll is.

He was a drug addicted Victorian poet.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:34 am

Diopolis wrote:
Hakons wrote:
Sin is not finite, or a number of sins. It is a qualitative measure, not quantitative. All sin is an infinite transgression against God. When we say that we are sinful, we are not saying that we committed a certain number of sins, but that we are qualitatively sinners, as opposed to righteous. Additionally, I'll prefer the words of Christ over whoever Lewis Carroll is.

He was a drug addicted Victorian poet.

Nope:

The book’s themes and characters are so bizarre that in the 1960’s rumours began to surface that Lewis Carroll wrote the book under the influence of drugs, particularly opium or laudanum.

It’s a tempting theory – after all the story has Alice eating ‘magic’ mushrooms and meeting hookah smoking caterpillars.

However, most experts agree that while the tale is weird, it is simply excellent fanciful writing and there is no evidence to suggest Carroll was a drug user.

http://yestervid.com/was-lewis-carroll- ... onderland/
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Minachia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Minachia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:12 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Minachia wrote:Last week, someone on my region's Discord server called me a heretic and an infidel for celebrating Easter then.
Just thought I should share that.

You mean Catholic Easter (last Sunday) or Pascha (this past Sunday)?

I mean Catholic Easter.
The guy was a Russian.

EDIT:
Last edited by Minachia on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a good person and don't use NS stats. The insane ones, at least.
Full name: Caero-Minachia. The CH is hard because Italian spelling.
Basically Rome, but Christian and modern.
Now with more Slavs!
Our leader has a ridiculously long title.
Carthago delenda est.
Lutheran Christian (LCMS), politically apathetic (
though I have gotten recent interest in Christian Democracy).
Elparia's Official Florida Man.
Christ is King, even if you don't believe it.
♔ Monarchist
Una buonissima canzone.
More OOC crap.
Discord, 'cause why not?

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:13 am

Minachia wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:You mean Catholic Easter (last Sunday) or Pascha (this past Sunday)?

I mean Catholic Easter.
The guy was a Russian.

While I agree that the Catholics are "heretical", I don't agree with the Methodology. Calling you names isn't going to help anything.

Minachia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Minachia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Minachia wrote:I mean Catholic Easter.
The guy was a Russian.

While I agree that the Catholics are "heretical", I don't agree with the Methodology. Calling you names isn't going to help anything.

This just occurred to me: I should probably tell you that I'm not a Catholic.
Or at least, if I am a Catholic, then I'm a Catholic of the Augsburg Confession. ;)
Last edited by Minachia on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now with more Slavs!
Carthago delenda est.
♔ Monarchist
Una buonissima canzone.
More OOC crap.
Discord, 'cause why not?

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:48 pm

Hakons wrote:

Sin is not finite, or a number of sins. It is a qualitative measure, not quantitative. All sin is an infinite transgression against God. When we say that we are sinful, we are not saying that we committed a certain number of sins, but that we are qualitatively sinners, as opposed to righteous. Additionally, I'll prefer the words of Christ over whoever Lewis Carroll is. Alternatively, we could also look at the Church in Greece and see that they interpret Hell as being eternal as well, with the exception of UMN's mentioning of the Orthodox opinion held by some that people may be saved from Hell (though obviously not all people, which is what you claim).

Scripture clearly defines Sin as a measurable quantity: BV Mary committed the sin of bearing a boy-child and sacrificed 2 pigeons. If Jesus had been a girl, Jesa? then BVM would have sacrificed 4 turtle doves. Abraham's sin of spawning the mopey teenager Isaac was kill the child OR a goat will do. Other sins cost one cow, 10 cows, the life of the sinner, the lives of all his family etc. etc. etc. Scripture is replete with numerical evaluations for Sin
Last edited by Auristania on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:49 pm

Auristania wrote:
Hakons wrote:

Scripture clearly defines Sin as a measurable quantity: BV Mary committed the sin of bearing a boy-child and sacrificed 2 pigeons. If Jesus had been a girl, Jesa? then BVM would have sacrificed 4 turtle doves. Abraham's sin of spawning the mopey teenager Isaac was kill the child OR a goat will do. Other sins cost one cow, 10 cows, the life of the sinner, the lives of all his family etc. etc. etc. Scripture is replete with numerical evaluations for Sin

Not quite. Sacrifices aren't equivalent to repentance, and your examples are terrible.

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:04 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Hakons wrote:I'll prefer the words of Christ over whoever Lewis Carroll is.

*SIGH*

I should have known that :blush:

Auristania wrote:
Hakons wrote:

Sins isn't tallied up for a "score." Sin is a state, not a quantitative value. Christians don't do sacrifices, because Christ is our sacrificial Lamb. All of our sins are forgiven by His crucifixion, whether we committed one sin or a million. Starting your examples with claiming Mary committed a sin is a great way to get Catholics to ignore you, though having children isn't even a sin.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

MineLegotia and Equestria
Envoy

Founded: Jul 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby MineLegotia and Equestria » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Auristania wrote:Scripture clearly defines Sin as a measurable quantity: BV Mary committed the sin of bearing a boy-child and sacrificed 2 pigeons. If Jesus had been a girl, Jesa? then BVM would have sacrificed 4 turtle doves. Abraham's sin of spawning the mopey teenager Isaac was kill the child OR a goat will do. Other sins cost one cow, 10 cows, the life of the sinner, the lives of all his family etc. etc. etc. Scripture is replete with numerical evaluations for Sin

Not quite. Sacrifices aren't equivalent to repentance, and your examples are terrible.

If I'm correct, sacrifices are like """pay debt cards" which you can bascially replace you from being punished for your sins by having someone be in your place. While repentance are more like "I won't get more debt" where you want to change your life to follow Christ.
Recent News: Imperial Regent strengthens Anti-Corruption Offices after Scandal | Minister of FA found after Ministry Blackout; Cults Blamed | 'Caplanbourgh surrender not in sight' says Minister of Defense | Parliament to pass 3843/383/23/04/2389

A nation of various species, who are mostly bureaucrats, traversing the multiverse in the name of harmony and colonialism. Not the worst nor best type of civilisation you'd want to meet.

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Thu May 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Hello, non-Gnostics 8)
if you like my posts please make sure to downvote my factbooks.
DON'T CLICK
"lmao child you come into MY region"
no, this nation does not represent my
views. i cannot believe i have to clarify this

for RPers
my views explained

Minachia
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Minachia » Thu May 02, 2019 6:25 pm

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:Hello, non-Gnostics 8)

Hallo. Welcome to the CDT. I'm your friendly neighborhood Confessional Lutheran.
Now with more Slavs!
Carthago delenda est.
♔ Monarchist
Una buonissima canzone.
More OOC crap.
Discord, 'cause why not?

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu May 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Daily reminder that Gnosticism is heresy.

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Thu May 02, 2019 7:26 pm

Auristania wrote:
Hakons wrote:

St. Mary was sinless. Your argument is invalid.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Thucydides: “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
1 Corinthians 5:12 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Thu May 02, 2019 7:32 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

Daily reminder that Gnosticism is heresy.

That's exactly what someone lacking knowledge would say.
if you like my posts please make sure to downvote my factbooks.
DON'T CLICK
"lmao child you come into MY region"
no, this nation does not represent my
views. i cannot believe i have to clarify this

for RPers
my views explained

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu May 02, 2019 7:36 pm

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Daily reminder that Gnosticism is heresy.

That's exactly what someone lacking knowledge would say.

Belief in a demiurge is paganism at its finest. There's no scriptural basis for it whatsoever.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu May 02, 2019 7:39 pm

As if that's something to be proud of, I would rather be a Bahai because at least they didn't get kinky for the sake of spiritual expression.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:That's exactly what someone lacking knowledge would say.

Belief in a demiurge is paganism at its finest. There's no scriptural basis for it whatsoever.

It's not the worst gnostic belief out there.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General