NATION

PASSWORD

The Christian Discussion Thread X: Originally there were 15

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
9%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
10%
Methodist
2%
Baptist
10%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
8%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
4%
Other Christian
15%

Total votes : 935

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Auristania wrote:GOP totally adore the vengeful God of Old Testament; Democrats pay lip service to the loving God of New Testament. Both factions are totally in love with the Money Lenders, so neither faction will drive the Money-lenders out of the Temple.

True. What frustrates me is the perception that God is somehow different between testaments.

In fairness it appears as a mystery to people that God is both. It's like the concept of Trinity.

The Union of the West
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:There seems to be a noticeable trend in the last couple centuries of ancient heresies popping back up and taking on modern forms.

I blame Protestantism.

Me too. Specifically Evangelicalism.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Minachia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby Minachia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:39 pm

The Union of the West wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:I blame Protestantism.

Me too. Specifically Evangelicalism.

Even though I myself am a Protestant, I have to agree with that.
Be a good person and don't use NS stats. The insane ones, at least.
Full name: Caero-Minachia. The CH is hard because Italian spelling.
Basically Rome, but Christian and modern.
Now with more Slavs!
Our leader has a ridiculously long title.
Carthago delenda est.
Lutheran Christian (LCMS), politically apathetic (
though I have gotten recent interest in Christian Democracy).
Elparia's Official Florida Man.
Christ is King, even if you don't believe it.
♔ Monarchist
Una buonissima canzone.
More OOC crap.
Discord, 'cause why not?

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Tarsonis wrote:aa
Modern Marcionism

There seems to be a noticeable trend in the last couple centuries of ancient heresies popping back up and taking on modern forms.

There is a limited number of Heresies, therefore repetition is inevitable. Nicaean Creed has about a dozen statements, therefore (2^12 - 1) heresies = 4095 possible heresies.

Any denomination that agrees ALL 12 statements of Nicaea is part of the Catholic church. Any denomination that rejects ALL 12 statements ain't Christian heretics, they are a different religion altogether. Jews, Muslims, Bahai etc agree God the Father Almighty and Resurrection of the Flesh, they also are different religions.

Suppose we define Heresy as accepting 2/3 of Nicaea and any denomination that rejects more are a different Religion altogether, then there are only 200 possible heresies. Suppose we define 3/4 of Nicaean then 130, so repetition is inevitable.

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Auristania wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:There seems to be a noticeable trend in the last couple centuries of ancient heresies popping back up and taking on modern forms.

There is a limited number of Heresies, therefore repetition is inevitable. Nicaean Creed has about a dozen statements, therefore (2^12 - 1) heresies = 4095 possible heresies.

Any denomination that agrees ALL 12 statements of Nicaea is part of the Catholic church. Any denomination that rejects ALL 12 statements ain't Christian heretics, they are a different religion altogether. Jews, Muslims, Bahai etc agree God the Father Almighty and Resurrection of the Flesh, they also are different religions.

Suppose we define Heresy as accepting 2/3 of Nicaea and any denomination that rejects more are a different Religion altogether, then there are only 200 possible heresies. Suppose we define 3/4 of Nicaean then 130, so repetition is inevitable.

Don’t forget heresies condemned by councils other than Nicaea.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am

Auristania wrote:There is a limited number of Heresies, therefore repetition is inevitable. Nicaean Creed has about a dozen statements, therefore (2^12 - 1) heresies = 4095 possible heresies.

Don’t forget heresies condemned by councils other than Nicaea.

There are 6 others...

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 am

Camelone wrote:So I don’t know what responses I’ll get with this question but I’ll ask it anyways. What are ways to grow your parishes and local church communities? I’ve been struggling with this and was hoping for some advice from you all.

I'm only a catechumen, so don't take what I'm saying too seriously, but I've been to a lot of churches. I've seen huge megachurches, I've seen tiny community churches, I've seen churches grow, and I've seen churches die. There are several factors that play into church growth.

First, I think mindset is incredibly important. The Church exists to bear the gift salvation to the world. This should be the first and only goal of church growth. To attempt to grow your church for any other reason, fame, or even worse, money, is to fall into the trap of greed, and frankly, sacrilege. In my experience this is the problem of megachurches. I don't intend to offend anyone with this statement, but there's a reason that the "McChurch" stereotype exists. Churches should not seek to decieve, and devout believers will see right through this deception and disingenuity.

Among the churches that aren't growing, I've noticed that they all have something in common: they aren't doing anything. They think that having a website and a social media page are enough to facilitate growth, but it isn't. We are called to go to "the ends of the earth" as witnesses, not the corners of the web and social media. Go outside. Talk to people. Be peaceful and kind and loving, as we are called to be, but be firm in your beliefs. Know what you believe in and why. Don't water down your church's teachings to attempt to appeal to people. It doesn't work; it may get you a few new members for a while, but they will drift away if you don't have a strong foundation for what you believe. Invite your friends, your family, your co-workers. In my experience, this is how churches grow. Don't fall into the trap of the Pharisees and hide this precious gift of salvation from the world. We are called to be the light of the world.

At the same time, don't be like some so-called churches we see in the media that spread hate and fear. Don't threaten people into attending with eternal punishment in Hell. Don't condemn, love, just as we are called to do.

Above all, in the words of St. Seraphim of Sarov, acquire a peaceful spirit and thousands around you will be saved. A tree is known by its fruit, and we must bear good fruit. A church that is active in the community, a church that helps people, will grow. They will know we are his disciples by our love. Love should come first in all of our actions, and this is how we spread the Gospel.

I recommend reading over the first three chapters of the Book of Revelation. It addresses a lot of the problems faced by the early church that the church is still facing today.

This reply is very wordy, and I apologize for that, but this is an issue that is close to my heart. I hope you find something helpful in here. :)

I do like this reply, it covers a lot of what I thought about saying.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:12 am

Camelone wrote:So I don’t know what responses I’ll get with this question but I’ll ask it anyways. What are ways to grow your parishes and local church communities? I’ve been struggling with this and was hoping for some advice from you all.

I'm only a catechumen, so don't take what I'm saying too seriously, but I've been to a lot of churches. I've seen huge megachurches, I've seen tiny community churches, I've seen churches grow, and I've seen churches die. There are several factors that play into church growth.

First, I think mindset is incredibly important. The Church exists to bear the gift salvation to the world. This should be the first and only goal of church growth. To attempt to grow your church for any other reason, fame, or even worse, money, is to fall into the trap of greed, and frankly, sacrilege. In my experience this is the problem of megachurches. I don't intend to offend anyone with this statement, but there's a reason that the "McChurch" stereotype exists. Churches should not seek to decieve, and devout believers will see right through this deception and disingenuity.

Among the churches that aren't growing, I've noticed that they all have something in common: they aren't doing anything. They think that having a website and a social media page are enough to facilitate growth, but it isn't. We are called to go to "the ends of the earth" as witnesses, not the corners of the web and social media. Go outside. Talk to people. Be peaceful and kind and loving, as we are called to be, but be firm in your beliefs. Know what you believe in and why. Don't water down your church's teachings to attempt to appeal to people. It doesn't work; it may get you a few new members for a while, but they will drift away if you don't have a strong foundation for what you believe. Invite your friends, your family, your co-workers. In my experience, this is how churches grow. Don't fall into the trap of the Pharisees and hide this precious gift of salvation from the world. We are called to be the light of the world.

At the same time, don't be like some so-called churches we see in the media that spread hate and fear. Don't threaten people into attending with eternal punishment in Hell. Don't condemn, love, just as we are called to do.

Above all, in the words of St. Seraphim of Sarov, acquire a peaceful spirit and thousands around you will be saved. A tree is known by its fruit, and we must bear good fruit. A church that is active in the community, a church that helps people, will grow. They will know we are his disciples by our love. Love should come first in all of our actions, and this is how we spread the Gospel.

I recommend reading over the first three chapters of the Book of Revelation. It addresses a lot of the problems faced by the early church that the church is still facing today.

This reply is very wordy, and I apologize for that, but this is an issue that is close to my heart. I hope you find something helpful in here. :)

don't apologize, it is very well-written, and insightful.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017

Postby Lower Nubia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:17 am

I finally have some free time! What's been happening?
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:25 am

Lower Nubia wrote:I finally have some free time! What's been happening?

You Orthodox?

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 am

Just NS Summer.

How are you? How’s life been? :3 :hug:
Last edited by Luminesa on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:

You Orthodox?

No, I'm currently searching through the Church's history to determine between choosing Orthodox, Catholic, or Anglican. So maybe one day, but I'm currently leaning Catholic.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 am

Lower Nubia wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:You Orthodox?

No, I'm currently searching through the Church's history to determine between choosing Orthodox, Catholic, or Anglican. So maybe one day, but I'm currently leaning Catholic.

I CAN ANSWER QUESTIONS!
-Alan Jackson

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:26 am

Luminesa wrote:

Just NS Summer.

That's kinda how I feel, I've had exams, essays, and work, since the start of January. I had some free time in March so I did some stuff in the GA.

Other than that, just been visiting some Church's, visited the Catholic Church in my nearest city, talked to the priest about how the Church functions, how to do confession, RCIA. He was nice and gave me a rosary, which I haven't quite remembered yet, but I'm getting there. :)
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 am

Lower Nubia wrote:

Good luck finding the right Church to settle in! :D
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:41 am

Lower Nubia wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Just NS Summer.

That's kinda how I feel, I've had exams, essays, and work, since the start of January. I had some free time in March so I did some stuff in the GA.

Other than that, just been visiting some Church's, visited the Catholic Church in my nearest city, talked to the priest about how the Church functions, how to do confession, RCIA. He was nice and gave me a rosary, which I haven't quite remembered yet, but I'm getting there. :)

Awesome! It’s a lot of information to absorb, but it’s beautiful and you’ll hopefully be happy you found it! The rosary is beautiful, if you’re having trouble praying the whole thing then even praying one decade a day is a beautiful contemplation of the life of Jesus. You are in our prayers!

Also, awesome work with your exams! Are you graduating soon?
-Alan Jackson

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:42 am

Aeritai wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

Good luck finding the right Church to settle in! :D

Thank you, It's kind of nice to be able to visit all the different traditions and experience them.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:45 am

Luminesa wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

Awesome! It’s a lot of information to absorb, but it’s beautiful and you’ll hopefully be happy you found it! The rosary is beautiful, if you’re having trouble praying the whole thing then even praying one decade a day is a beautiful contemplation of the life of Jesus. You are in our prayers!

Also, awesome work with your exams! Are you graduating soon?

We haven't received the results yet, but I have Lab work to do till October, then graduation. So hopefully it goes well. :p
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Camelone
Senator

Founded: Feb 20, 2015

Postby Camelone » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:21 pm

I just finally figured out how to adequately use my 'Benedictine Daily Prayer, A Short Breviary' and my goodness is it an absolutely beautiful prayer tool for orientating your day around worship to God. I substitute a few of the offices with the Daily Office of Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer in my Common Prayer Book but besides that I'm going to start using the Breviary a lot more.
In the spirit of John Tombes, American Jacobite with a Byzantine flair for extra spice
I am... the lurker!
Ave Rex Christus!

Pro: The Social Kingship of Christ, Corporatism, Distributism, Yeomanrism, Tradition based Christianity, High Tory, Hierarchy, vanguard republicanism, Blue Laws, House of Wittelsbach, House of Iturbide, House of Kalākaua
Neutral: Constitutions, Guild Socialism, Libertarianism, Constitution Party, monarchism
Against: Communism, socialism, SJWs, materialism, the Democratic Republican Uniparty, material Egalitarianism
Family, Fatherland, Work
Results

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:22 am

Lower Nubia wrote:

As someone who has experience with all three, I can help answer questions if you’d like. I’ll try not to be too biased ;)
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:30 am

Lower Nubia wrote:

As someone who has experience with all three, I can help answer questions if you’d like. I’ll try not to be too biased ;)

When I visited the Catholic Church, for one particular weekday Communion service, it involved taking previously-consecrated hosts from the tabernacle, by a layman, and then having the congregation come forth to take the host. Is this a common, or usual phenomenon?
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:33 am

Lower Nubia wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:As someone who has experience with all three, I can help answer questions if you’d like. I’ll try not to be too biased ;)

When I visited the Catholic Church, for one particular weekday Communion service, it involved taking previously-consecrated hosts from the tabernacle, by a layman, and then having the congregation come forth to take the host. Is this a common, or usual phenomenon?

Very unusual. Only occurs if there’s no priest to perform the consecration.
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Thucydides: “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
1 Corinthians 5:12 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:36 am

Tarsonis wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

Very unusual. Only occurs if there’s no priest to perform the consecration.

So that is a licit service then?
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:49 am

Lower Nubia wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:Very unusual. Only occurs if there’s no priest to perform the consecration.

Yes
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:55 am

Lower Nubia wrote:

Yes

That's good, I just thought it odd at the time. I also did not partake of communion, you'll be happy to know, as a non-Catholic.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General