NATION

PASSWORD

The Christian Discussion Thread X: Originally there were 15

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
9%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
10%
Methodist
2%
Baptist
10%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
8%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
4%
Other Christian
15%

Total votes : 935

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Hakons wrote:
Benuty wrote:So I have been looking into the Altar Guild at Grace Cathedral, and there is something joyful about such a ritual, and I might join it.

What does the Alter Guild do?

So the guild (one of many guilds) is personally responsible for setting up the altar so when Eucharist is commenced everything will be prepared for those commencing it. Afterward communion is done, and the service is let go, and in short, its job is to make sure the "third act" is done smoothly since often the biggest service is at 11:00, and the Cathedral will have 500 people in it. I mean sure every service has the Eucharist, and then Communion enacted, but the most noticeable impact is always felt in the 11:00 am one since that is when the largest crowd comes.
Last edited by Benuty on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Mardla
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:44 pm

Benuty wrote:
Hakons wrote:

So the guild (one of many guilds) is personally responsible for setting up the altar so when Eucharist is commenced everything will be prepared for those commencing it. Afterward communion is done, and the service is let go, and in short, its job is to make sure the "third act" is done smoothly since often the biggest service is at 11:00, and the Cathedral will have 500 people in it. I mean sure every service has the Eucharist, and then Communion enacted, but the most noticeable impact is always felt in the 11:00 am one since that is when the largest crowd comes.

You converted to Christianity? Oh, wow. Damn, I didn't get the memo.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:47 pm

Benuty wrote:
Hakons wrote:

As an aside, wouldn't your flag make more sense if it were "half of everything"?
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Benuty wrote:So the guild (one of many guilds) is personally responsible for setting up the altar so when Eucharist is commenced everything will be prepared for those commencing it. Afterward communion is done, and the service is let go, and in short, its job is to make sure the "third act" is done smoothly since often the biggest service is at 11:00, and the Cathedral will have 500 people in it. I mean sure every service has the Eucharist, and then Communion enacted, but the most noticeable impact is always felt in the 11:00 am one since that is when the largest crowd comes.

As an aside, wouldn't your flag make more sense if it were "half of everything"?

I mean technically true, but given Thanos himself sacrificed everything from his armies, his supporters, and ships down to the child, he "loved" i.e. Gamora it fits.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Mardla wrote:
Benuty wrote:So the guild (one of many guilds) is personally responsible for setting up the altar so when Eucharist is commenced everything will be prepared for those commencing it. Afterward communion is done, and the service is let go, and in short, its job is to make sure the "third act" is done smoothly since often the biggest service is at 11:00, and the Cathedral will have 500 people in it. I mean sure every service has the Eucharist, and then Communion enacted, but the most noticeable impact is always felt in the 11:00 am one since that is when the largest crowd comes.

You converted to Christianity? Oh, wow. Damn, I didn't get the memo.

Yes, I have for some time now been going to service at an Episcopalian Church, and have begun the process of attempting to get confirmed, and ultimately baptized.

Mardla
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:33 pm

Benuty wrote:
Mardla wrote:You converted to Christianity? Oh, wow. Damn, I didn't get the memo.

Yes, I have for some time now been going to service at an Episcopalian Church, and have begun the process of attempting to get confirmed, and ultimately baptized.

They're too unorthodox for my liking, although I did sympathize with their politics at one time.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Benuty wrote:
Mardla wrote:You converted to Christianity? Oh, wow. Damn, I didn't get the memo.

Ah, that's awesome! I really don't know where I'd be now if it wasn't for Anglicanism, genuinely. Even if I am no longer Anglican myself. I was part of my Church's Altar Guild and I was an usher. It's great to be able to participate with the Church like that.
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:38 pm

I am being a good steward of the Earth by making sure I'm one of the only stewards remaining, since I know all those other people would be bad at it :p
#JustificationsForN-Day

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:54 pm

Cill Airne wrote:
Benuty wrote:Yes, I have for some time now been going to service at an Episcopalian Church, and have begun the process of attempting to get confirmed, and ultimately baptized.

Ah, that's awesome! I really don't know where I'd be now if it wasn't for Anglicanism, genuinely. Even if I am no longer Anglican myself. I was part of my Church's Altar Guild and I was an usher. It's great to be able to participate with the Church like that.

Wait, you’re not Anglican? What are you now?
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017

Postby Lower Nubia » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:23 am

Kowani wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:
Almost every ancient historical record, contradicts other ancient historical record for the same event. To emphasise the Biblical 'contradiction' while not noting the contradictions in secular notes of history is biased and negligent. The Bible is unique, not because it contains "valid contradiction" (the same allowable difference in like secular documents, thus the same as other secular ancient documents in this matter), but that the Gospel accounts, for example, are far more consistent than most ancient documents which seek to explain a singular event.

The problem isn't with difference, but the depth of the difference, which for the Gospels are minor, all are consistent on the important, even trivial, details; miracle ministry, capture, judgement before court, crucifixion, burial and then Resurrection, sending forth the apostles (to pick some major events). In addition, whereas many biographies were written for the great Kings, emperors and conquerors, and the title "son of God" was a common quip of the absolutely powerful, the same cannot be said, at any level, for Jewish carpenters from, quite literally, the middle of nowhere.

I emphasized the biblical contradictions because this is the CDT. A whataboutism does not exactly bolster your argument.
Also...ignoring the outright lies and fabrications within the Bible for now, because that’s a very different argument, let’s take a look at all the things you just listed.

No you emphasise the Biblical contradictions as if they refuted the Bible narrative, seeing as this is a discussion on the bibles trustworthy qualities, which is the tu quoque fallacy because what you emphasise in the Biblical narrative would be hypocrisy when the same issue exists for secular ancient documents, of which you do not question.

Kowani wrote:I’ll just assume that minor word choice is between translation details and different authors, so, let’s see.
And....what’s this? Matthew 27:3-66, compared to Acts 1:18.
Of course, Jesus’ parentage and the way it was determined...probably should have made sure of Jesus’ lineage, huh? Plus, stretching that far to get Jesus to Bethlehem in time to be born. Except we couldn’t even agree on the time, with Matthew and Luke disagreeing.

"Alright let's take a look at all the things you just listed,
I’ll just assume that minor word choice is between translation details and different authors, so, let’s see.
And....what’s this? Polybius of Megalopolis in World History compared to Livius of Padua in his History of Rome from it's Foundation.
Of course, Hannibal sending a bunch of elephants through the Alps should have been quite a obvious to the locals, huh? I mean, going too north or too south, I mean how could we even agree on the route? especially seeing as Polybius and Livius disagree."

Oh my, sorry, got a secular document mixed in with your rant, but, eh, problem is that the situation you described fits perfectly with the account of Hannibal with his frozen elephants. This historical aspect and the (!)harmonisation(!) (which I thought only "bible apologists did to save face on their religion) between them is a debate within history, but that doesn't mean that I can state that Hannibal didn't event exist(!), or that the accounts are a priori false. Which, again, puts them well within the bounds of secular documentation of the period and thus "contradition", or better yet, difference, is not enough to dismiss these documents. As Chesterton noted, history is not simple and is, most of the time, more complex than we tend to acknowledge or think.

Kowani wrote:The “adulterous woman” story seems to have been added after the fact, as does pretty much anything after Mark 8, Jesus either spent 40 days in wilderness or 3, and circling back around to the crucifixion, we have the Centurion either going up to Jesus or sending elders. I’m sure there’s more, but I don’t feel like going through the whole Bible right now.

The adulterous woman story is likely a faithful addition following within the Oral Tradition, I mean John notes:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."

Indeed with its addition the Church did not enter in a furor on this "False addition to the text" but rather paid no attention to the matter, and instead loved the story of the adulterous woman, it is for you to demonstrate, how a Church that deemed anything beyond the Tradition to be against the apostles, could suddenly accept the story without prior acknowledgement in oral succession. It probably had been handed down to them from the disciples as John notes, and finally made an addition because Jesus did perform that miracle and everyone had been told that he did, thus would be faithful addition and valid addition.

All the rest are simply harmonisations, and with the social aspects in the first century being of 'high context', the necessity for detailed explanation for each and every duress is neither necessary nor required for the reader. As they would understand the social context behind these statements more capably than we will.

I'd like to point out that even all of those things that you mentioned, are, in fact, minor details and hardly dislodging of the important narrative. But, again, there are plenty of trivial details that are identical within each of the gospel texts and those of 'appearing' discrepancy can be down to a multitude of factors before it is even reasonable for outright dismissal of the texts.

Kowani wrote:Also, many people have claimed to be the children of gods. A King’s claim is no less credible than that of a carpenter.

To you the claim might not be credible but not to people of the first century, a king's claim is credible simply because he is the king, there is no greater source of power or authority in a region. Not all people occupy that favoured (by the gods?) authority, indeed there were plenty of prophets of "god", but "son's of God"? That is not a title that is synonymous with all men but only of those of immense power. Which, again, is not a trait of Nazareth carpenters, unless he could capably back it up. Now there is good reason that even you debate that ancient woodworker today.
Last edited by Lower Nubia on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:46 am

Luminesa wrote:
Cill Airne wrote:Ah, that's awesome! I really don't know where I'd be now if it wasn't for Anglicanism, genuinely. Even if I am no longer Anglican myself. I was part of my Church's Altar Guild and I was an usher. It's great to be able to participate with the Church like that.

Orthodox.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:16 am

Luminesa wrote:
Cill Airne wrote:Ah, that's awesome! I really don't know where I'd be now if it wasn't for Anglicanism, genuinely. Even if I am no longer Anglican myself. I was part of my Church's Altar Guild and I was an usher. It's great to be able to participate with the Church like that.

I went East, to Orthodoxy :P
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:41 am

Cill Airne wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Wait, you’re not Anglican? What are you now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ04BG7TfA
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:52 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:https://www.unian.info/society/amp-10171514-ecumenical-patriarch-constantinople-never-recognized-moscow-s-church-authority-over-ukraine.html

Good news :)

The blAAtschApen wrote:
No comments on the news I've posted last page? You're one of the few here who can shine a light on the consequences of it.

I wouldn't place too much credence in this Ukrainian interpretation of Patriarch Bartholomew's remarks. Moscow's interpretation is quite different.

What isn't under dispute is that Constantinople has previously made some noises about helping to seek Orthodox unity in Ukraine, and that the Ukrainian parliament has sent an appeal to Bartholomew asking for a tomos (formal patriarchal ruling) on the autocephaly of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine.

But Bartholomew knows very well that backing an autocephalous Ukrainian church would be an astonishingly provocative move that would likely end all cooperation with Moscow - which is the largest Orthodox church in terms of numbers. Furthermore, there are three different competing jurisdictions in Ukraine, none of which represent a majority of Orthodox Ukrainians.

So there's a lot of sound and fury, but I think the chances of Bartholomew actually declaring backing for a government backed autocephalous church based in Kiev are next to zero. Agreeing to hear an appeal is one thing; it fits in with Constantinople's own view of its role within Orthodoxy. Granting it would lead to all-out war between the two most politically significant patriarchates in the Orthodox Church; and I don't think either side really wants that.

But that seems to be the goal of Ukraine. After seeing the positive role that the Church played in ending animosity after the Ossetian War between the Russians and the Georgians, which benefited all sides, Ukraine seems to want to destroy Church Unity to continue to paint Russia as the villain. Ukrainians are traveling to Crimea, and bringing back stories of prosperity, while their own politicians are failing to provide its citizens with cures for basic diseases, and has been rated the most corrupt in Europe. Much like the Russian Mafia of the 1990s, their days are numbered, so like a butthurt loser, they're trying to ruin it for everyone else.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:03 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:
Soviet-mongol wrote:https://www.dw.com/en/russian-orthodox-church-cuts-ties-with-constantinople-leader-over-ukraine/a-45495761

So aparently the Patriarch of Constantinople tries to recognise an independent Ukrainian Church. The ROC is against this and even treatens with a schism.

Unsurprisingly, you're misrepresenting what's happening.

It's a tragedy - and neither side is covering itself with glory - but it's not a schism.

The Patriarchate of Constantinople hasn't recognised an autocephalous Ukrainian Church. It's been asked by the Ukrainian government to send a couple of bishops to 'study the issue', and the Ukrainians are pushing hard for autocephaly; but that's not in Constantinople's gift to grant unilaterally anyway. But the Russians are so incensed at the thought that Constantinople might even try that it's throwing its considerable weight around. As I wrote in a previous version of this thread, the likely outcome is that Constantinople will agree to study the issue, but then stop short of granting full recognition to the Ukrainians. In the end, Bartholomew needs all the friends he can get; and for better or for worse, Russia has far more influence in Turkey than Ukraine does.

The problem is exacerbated by the political situation in eastern Ukraine; the Russian government's actions there are undermining the previously strong support enjoyed by the Moscow Patriarchate in the rest of Ukraine, and increasing support for the parishes that want an autocephalous Ukrainian church. The Ukrainian government has its own reasons for seeking autocephaly.

The reason it won't be a schism is that even if Moscow and Constantinople stop talking to each other, they'll still be in full communion with the rest of the Orthodox Church. For example, the Patriarchs of Antioch and Jerusalem have currently struck each other off each other's diptychs (ie, aren't talking) over an obscure dispute tied to Qatar and the Syrian Civil War; but they still recognise all of the other autocephalous Orthodox churches. And then there's the situation with the Orthodox Church in America, whose autocephaly is only recognised by Moscow, but whose bishops are recognised as canonical by everyone. This isn't even the first time in the last 20 years that Moscow and Constantinople have temporarily broken off contact with each other over jurisdictional issues; they had a nasty dispute over Estonia in the '90s and '00s.

Summed up, this is deeply regrettable, and all Orthodox Christians will be praying for the unity of the Church; but it isn't a schism, either.

Our highly decentralised institutions may look baffling to the non-Orthodox, but they do have the benefit of making it all but impossible for us to have a full-blown schism within the Orthodox Church.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, and you're right, our decentralized institutions are awesome :D
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:50 pm

Cill Airne wrote:

Ohhhhhh! Cool! What inspired the switch? :3
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:48 am

Cill Airne wrote:

Congratulations!
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:18 am

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
Cill Airne wrote:I went East, to Orthodoxy :P

Congratulations!

Now I did humor the idea of orthodoxy given Charleston's abundances of Church (hence the name holy port city), but something just drew me to Episcopalianism instead.

Vsyerossiya
Secretary

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Vsyerossiya » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Shofercia wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:

I wouldn't place too much credence in this Ukrainian interpretation of Patriarch Bartholomew's remarks. Moscow's interpretation is quite different.

What isn't under dispute is that Constantinople has previously made some noises about helping to seek Orthodox unity in Ukraine, and that the Ukrainian parliament has sent an appeal to Bartholomew asking for a tomos (formal patriarchal ruling) on the autocephaly of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine.

But Bartholomew knows very well that backing an autocephalous Ukrainian church would be an astonishingly provocative move that would likely end all cooperation with Moscow - which is the largest Orthodox church in terms of numbers. Furthermore, there are three different competing jurisdictions in Ukraine, none of which represent a majority of Orthodox Ukrainians.

So there's a lot of sound and fury, but I think the chances of Bartholomew actually declaring backing for a government backed autocephalous church based in Kiev are next to zero. Agreeing to hear an appeal is one thing; it fits in with Constantinople's own view of its role within Orthodoxy. Granting it would lead to all-out war between the two most politically significant patriarchates in the Orthodox Church; and I don't think either side really wants that.

But that seems to be the goal of Ukraine. After seeing the positive role that the Church played in ending animosity after the Ossetian War between the Russians and the Georgians, which benefited all sides, Ukraine seems to want to destroy Church Unity to continue to paint Russia as the villain. Ukrainians are traveling to Crimea, and bringing back stories of prosperity, while their own politicians are failing to provide its citizens with cures for basic diseases, and has been rated the most corrupt in Europe. Much like the Russian Mafia of the 1990s, their days are numbered, so like a butthurt loser, they're trying to ruin it for everyone else.

And the Malorossy try to do this by shameless assassinating one of the heroes of the Donetsk People’s Republic.

I only hope that the efforts of the Constantinople Patriarch fail. Constantinople made similar arguments against heretical Rome, when it was suitable. But now, when events benefit their heterodox behavior, Constantinople acts like Rome. What irony! The other Churches, especially the Moscow Patriarchate, must defend Orthodoxy!
Всероссия (Vsyerossiya) is a Russian unitary state •
• Encompassing Великороссия (Great Russia), Белороссия (White Russia), and Малороссия (Little Russia) •
• Highly anti-captialist and anti-communist •
• Led by a Государь (Sovereign/Emperor) supported by the Партия (Party) •
• Very religious (Russian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate) •

•+•Православие - Партия - Народность•+•

Nioya
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Nioya » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Cill Airne wrote:

Awww, one less great mind for the cause.
I like telegrams
First name: Matt
Sexual Orientation: gay
Nationality: American
Religious Orientation: Episcopalian
Relationship status: Single
Likes: Philosophy, history, world building, anime, audiobooks, aesthetics, coffee
Dislikes: SJWs, atheism, kids being loud
Random fact: I sleep with a body pillow

The Eternal Aulus
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Aulus » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:59 am

Looks like Orthodox stability and fraternity is as close as a Byzantine prince with five brotherly pretenders!
Muslim
Islamist
And, behold, with every hardship comes ease: - Quran 94:5
RWDT's favorite Dutchman. A middle school teacher in philosophy and religion.
RIP Joch 12/11/2017 - DoS - 2young2bdeleted

Stonok
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stonok » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:16 pm

In approximately one hour I am to be baptized by immersion. Allow me to say now that if I have offended anyone here or conducted myself poorly in their sight, please forgive me and I ask for your prayers to help me grow in the faith after this sacrament.

Marginal Territory
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marginal Territory » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Stonok wrote:In approximately one hour I am to be baptized by immersion. Allow me to say now that if I have offended anyone here or conducted myself poorly in their sight, please forgive me and I ask for your prayers to help me grow in the faith after this sacrament.

Yay you're doing it right!

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:50 pm

The Eternal Aulus wrote:Looks like Orthodox stability and fraternity is as close as a Byzantine prince with five brotherly pretenders!

Orthodox stability and fraternity are doing just fine. As Archie brilliantly summarized:

The Archregimancy wrote:The reason it won't be a schism is that even if Moscow and Constantinople stop talking to each other, they'll still be in full communion with the rest of the Orthodox Church. For example, the Patriarchs of Antioch and Jerusalem have currently struck each other off each other's diptychs (ie, aren't talking) over an obscure dispute tied to Qatar and the Syrian Civil War; but they still recognise all of the other autocephalous Orthodox churches. And then there's the situation with the Orthodox Church in America, whose autocephaly is only recognised by Moscow, but whose bishops are recognised as canonical by everyone. This isn't even the first time in the last 20 years that Moscow and Constantinople have temporarily broken off contact with each other over jurisdictional issues; they had a nasty dispute over Estonia in the '90s and '00s.

Summed up, this is deeply regrettable, and all Orthodox Christians will be praying for the unity of the Church; but it isn't a schism, either. Our highly decentralised institutions may look baffling to the non-Orthodox, but they do have the benefit of making it all but impossible for us to have a full-blown schism within the Orthodox Church.

We're the cool established Church. When I felt that Nicolas Dos was wrongly canonized, I made my opinion known. That didn't stop me from continuing to worship, going to Church, or chilling with Orthodox Christians. And everyone was super nice to me about it. In this case, I'll acknowledge that a single person is acting like an idiot, but that doesn't mean that I should stop worshiping with my brothers and sisters from the Middle East. By admitting that our leaders are fallible, we thrive. By allowing decentralization, we prevent escalation. It's a truly well thought out system, that's here to stay. Forever!

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:32 pm

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/ ... sainthood/ An interesting article about potential Saints in the RCC(and apparently American support for them but that's aside the point), Emperor Karl of Austria, Chesterton, and Tolkien are interesting candidates.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General