NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread VIII—Can't Let EU Go

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

If a general election were held today who would you vote for?

Conservatives
16%
Labour
30%
Liberal Democrats
17%
Greens
5%
UKIP
18%
SNP
3%
Plaid Cymru
1%
Sinn Fein/SDLP
4%
DUP/UUP
2%
Other
5%

Total votes : 766

Irish Laren
Attaché

Founded: Jun 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Irish Laren » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:36 am

Vassenor wrote:
Irish Laren wrote:
It's actually not, the problem is that the EU is constantly moving from Brussels to Strasbourg and back once in a month and wants to decide over it's members (like Poland and Hungary wants to secure their borders, and the EU is threatening them and also forcing it's members to take thousands of illegal immigrants in their countries

Funny how the criticism always boils down to BUT IMMIGRANTS.

You did read half the thing of what i said, and i said ILLEGAL immigrants
Catholic
I do not use NS stats
History of Irish Laren
Political Parties
Independent: The leader of the now banned group called "Feck the Brits" called for a civil war in Irish Laren if the President doesn't uplift the ban and ban all the British people and everything British. Which got him arrested just an hour ago and President Dave Hagen reacted to this by saying: "We do not accept such threats simply because they doesn't like the UK, we had a harsh past, but after all, the UK and Ireland are both trade partners of Irish Laren, even when Irish Laren was under British rule", the INP condemns the ant-British group and supports the President

No stereotypes about Irish Laren and Ireland please!
If ya wanna attack me personally then leave me alone

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 am

Vassenor wrote:
Modern Skepticism wrote:Incompetent tyranny if you stay in the EU government, incompetent tyranny if you stay out.

Some care about personal liberty (which seems to be anathema to both governments anyhow. Just look at the surveillance laws), some care about sovereignty despite being nowhere near to being econimically and politically independent on the international scale thanks to excessive free trade and US interference, and some care about the money and only the money and there is nothing but the money (all hail our god The Economy!)

But really, is it just me or is the UK now another European backwater that still thinks it’s relevant to the world at large?

It pretty much is. We've been a bird riding on the back of the American elephant picking off flies for years.

Sixth largest economy in the world. But yeah, it’s not America so it doesn’t mean anything. :roll:

So I guess there are only two countries on the planet that matter then?
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Modern Skepticism
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Modern Skepticism » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:45 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
It pretty much is. We've been a bird riding on the back of the American elephant picking off flies for years.

Sixth largest economy in the world. But yeah, it’s not America so it doesn’t mean anything. :roll:

To be quite honest, yes. Though make that around 3 (US, Russia, China). Add secondary powers as you will and feel free to include the UK. Indeed, sixth largest economy and that seems the only real thing to boast about while the tides of political and social chaos perform their mad ballet in the background. Though really, the US and much of the West is the same way, but the UK is the true leader of the world in terms of political incompetence and indecision it seems.

I guess in the end, we can always count our dollars and pounds sterling notes eh?

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:17 am

Modern Skepticism wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

To be quite honest, yes. Though make that around 3 (US, Russia, China). Add secondary powers as you will and feel free to include the UK. Indeed, sixth largest economy and that seems the only real thing to boast about while the tides of political and social chaos perform their mad ballet in the background. Though really, the US and much of the West is the same way, but the UK is the true leader of the world in terms of political incompetence and indecision it seems.

I guess in the end, we can always count our dollars and pounds sterling notes eh?

And what puts Russia in the same catogory as the USA and China? The USSR has fallen, and Russia is a pale ghost of what it once was.

The UK isn’t on America’s level, but it’s hardly irrelevant. And while the UK government is admitadly bad, it’s no worse then any other at the moment. A lot of it is surface, the only way to tell will be in hindsight.
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:24 am

Irish Laren wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Funny how the criticism always boils down to BUT IMMIGRANTS.

That doesn't really change my point.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Irish Laren
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Irish Laren » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:32 am

Vassenor wrote:
Irish Laren wrote:

Yes it does, you are acting like i was talking about all immigrants which is not true, legal immigrants and illegal immigrants are very different things
Catholic
I do not use NS stats
History of Irish Laren
Political Parties
Independent: The leader of the now banned group called "Feck the Brits" called for a civil war in Irish Laren if the President doesn't uplift the ban and ban all the British people and everything British. Which got him arrested just an hour ago and President Dave Hagen reacted to this by saying: "We do not accept such threats simply because they doesn't like the UK, we had a harsh past, but after all, the UK and Ireland are both trade partners of Irish Laren, even when Irish Laren was under British rule", the INP condemns the ant-British group and supports the President

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:34 am

Irish Laren wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Yes it does, you are acting like i was talking about all immigrants which is not true, legal immigrants and illegal immigrants are very different things

So how about you stop trying to push words into my mouth, hm?

Also refugees are not illegal migrants.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Irish Laren
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Irish Laren » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 am

Vassenor wrote:
Irish Laren wrote:

Almost all refugees are illegal immigrants because they are trying to enter countries like Ireland illegally and how about you stop being ignorant and attack me because I am a Conservative and against refugees and illegal immigration
Catholic
I do not use NS stats
History of Irish Laren
Political Parties

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:38 am

Irish Laren wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Almost all refugees are illegal immigrants because they are trying to enter countries like Ireland illegally and how about you stop being ignorant and attack me because I am a Conservative and against refugees and illegal immigration

Do you understand how refugee status works?

Also when did I attack you for being a conservative?
Last edited by Vassenor on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Modern Skepticism
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Modern Skepticism » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:08 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Modern Skepticism wrote:

And what puts Russia in the same catogory as the USA and China? The USSR has fallen, and Russia is a pale ghost of what it once was.

The UK isn’t on America’s level, but it’s hardly irrelevant. And while the UK government is admitadly bad, it’s no worse then any other at the moment. A lot of it is surface, the only way to tell will be in hindsight.

1) You’re half-correct on Russia. It’s nowhere near the great power it was in the past, but it’s political and economical interests nevertheless reach out internationally in a capacity that can keep up with China’s rising influence and America’s declining power. The USSR might be gone, but Russia’s military and industrial capacity hasn’t. It’s taking it’s phoenix-like ascension not in a blaze of glory, but slow and steadily just as the West is slowly and steadily crumbling.

2) Outside of the UK’s now non-existant control over it’s former overseas doninion states, it exercises little real international independence in terms of influence. With the whole Trump debacle proving to be a road block, it nevertheless merely goes along with the American and NATO status quo.

3) The UK government is indeed quite bad and I do agree with you it’s not worse off than any government either. That should actually say something exceedingly worrisome about the state of modern political affairs. That nevertheless is not an excuse for the sheer incompetency and tyranny of the British government. It being similar in crisis to many other governments does not at all justify it’s actions thus far. You say all will be revealed in hindsight, but it seems to me this “hindsight” event has already occurred and I think you can very properly conclude what the British government is and is not at this point. The longer this crisis goes on and the longer both the people and those in power adopt a course of indefinite inaction, a “wait and see” attitude, the worse the situation gets and the more extreme solutions will be conjured up. This, of course, is not limited to the UK but to the West in general.

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:17 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Modern Skepticism wrote:

The largest nuclear weapons stockpile may be a reason.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:44 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Modern Skepticism wrote:

depends entirely on how you quantify "bad".
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Souseiseki wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

depends entirely on how you quantify "bad".

Waste of oxygen, short term, spin experts, blarite, partisan careerist politicians?

So yes, very very bad.

Auze wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

The largest nuclear weapons stockpile may be a reason.

Not really. Every member of the UNSC 5 have enough nukes to destroy/devastate one - three of the other members, having a stockpile 30x larger is just overcompensating, and a waste of money/security risk.
Last edited by Dooom35796821595 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:20 pm

Modern Skepticism wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

1) You’re half-correct on Russia. It’s nowhere near the great power it was in the past, but it’s political and economical interests nevertheless reach out internationally in a capacity that can keep up with China’s rising influence and America’s declining power. The USSR might be gone, but Russia’s military and industrial capacity hasn’t. It’s taking it’s phoenix-like ascension not in a blaze of glory, but slow and steadily just as the West is slowly and steadily crumbling.

2) Outside of the UK’s now non-existant control over it’s former overseas doninion states, it exercises little real international independence in terms of influence. With the whole Trump debacle proving to be a road block, it nevertheless merely goes along with the American and NATO status quo.

3) The UK government is indeed quite bad and I do agree with you it’s not worse off than any government either. That should actually say something exceedingly worrisome about the state of modern political affairs. That nevertheless is not an excuse for the sheer incompetency and tyranny of the British government. It being similar in crisis to many other governments does not at all justify it’s actions thus far. You say all will be revealed in hindsight, but it seems to me this “hindsight” event has already occurred and I think you can very properly conclude what the British government is and is not at this point. The longer this crisis goes on and the longer both the people and those in power adopt a course of indefinite inaction, a “wait and see” attitude, the worse the situation gets and the more extreme solutions will be conjured up. This, of course, is not limited to the UK but to the West in general.

Russia may be willing to play dirty, but it was left behind by the USA and China a while ago.
And the UK is still a moderate player in soft power, and has enough hard power to see off any likely rivals that wouldn’t trigger article 5. So just as influentual as Russia, albeit in a more behind the scenes way. And the UK influences NATO, and doesn’t get into things it doesn’t want to.

Yes, current western politics is in a very bad place, and if they don’t find some sort of unifying factor, cause or enemy it’ll likely just deteriorate until China becomes the new global hegemony. And the wait and see is more for the general populace, since no party or person seemed to have the ability to address, let alone fix many of the problems currently faced by western civilisation. Likely the reason for the slide to the right, a dictator gets stuff done while democracy is very...squishy outside of war.

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 pm

So outside is roughly the same temperature as the surface of the sun. Greater Manchester is on fire. Manchester Airport has run out of electricity/forgotten to feed the meter. The road gritters are out across the nation because apparently they're dual use when it gets hot enough the roads are melting. The railways are all doing 5mph because instead of the wrong kind of leaves it's the wrong kind of summer.

And we've run out of CO2 so we can't even have a cold beer to help deal with it all...

On the plus side, the stench of smoke has now overtaken the stench of rotting chinese food.

Freezic Vast
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:So outside is roughly the same temperature as the surface of the sun. Greater Manchester is on fire. Manchester Airport has run out of electricity/forgotten to feed the meter. The road gritters are out across the nation because apparently they're dual use when it gets hot enough the roads are melting. The railways are all doing 5mph because instead of the wrong kind of leaves it's the wrong kind of summer.

And we've run out of CO2 so we can't even have a cold beer to help deal with it all...

On the plus side, the stench of smoke has now overtaken the stench of rotting chinese food.

Sounds like the Summer of Discontent over in Britain.
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.
Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson ft. Miley Cyrus
Tired, and bored, need sleep.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:33 pm

Freezic Vast wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:So outside is roughly the same temperature as the surface of the sun. Greater Manchester is on fire. Manchester Airport has run out of electricity/forgotten to feed the meter. The road gritters are out across the nation because apparently they're dual use when it gets hot enough the roads are melting. The railways are all doing 5mph because instead of the wrong kind of leaves it's the wrong kind of summer.

Sounds like the Summer of Discontent over in Britain.

More like summer of can’t be bothered, it’s too hot. :lol:

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Freezic Vast wrote:Sounds like the Summer of Discontent over in Britain.

So a typical British summer then.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 pm

Trumptonium1 wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Mostly because we're demonstrating what an utterly stupid idea it is.

I can't hear you over all these extra pounds coming into the UK economy, speak louder

Economic impacts don't time travel? What a surprise!
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:19 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

So a typical British summer then.

Pretty much. Although it has gotten worse as of late.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:28 pm

The idea of an airport running on an electricity meter tickled me for some reason.

Yeah, shit's pretty hot.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:Manchester Airport has run out of electricity/forgotten to feed the meter.

Better not have, I need to work there tomorrow.

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Alvecia wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Manchester Airport has run out of electricity/forgotten to feed the meter.

Terminal 2 for about 2 hours. But someone found 50p so it's back now.

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Alvecia wrote:Better not have, I need to work there tomorrow.

Terminal 2 for about 2 hours. But someone found 50p so it's back now.

Ah, lovely.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Alvecia wrote:

Yup, it is true.

In other news, I am still having a good laugh at the "fuck business" Boris Johnson quote...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General