NATION

PASSWORD

Pragmatarian Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
A "D" coming from Mr. "I don't know shit about economics but totally trust me guys I went to school for public finance" means nothing to me.

So find somebody whose opinion you trust and ask them to grade your work.

I don't need to. I already know what it says; and in fact I have managed to frustrate you because you keep thinking you can truly reveal preference through your system, something Samuelson tried, and you haven't been able to with me.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:35 pm

For reference, this is the assumption made by revealed preference according to the Wiki:

Revealed preference models assume that the preferences of consumers can be revealed by their purchasing habits.

Your model assumes you can reveal the preference of people by making them purchase "votes" and "rankings".

This is no different from Samuelson and other's basic assumption about revealed preference.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Xerographica wrote:So find somebody whose opinion you trust and ask them to grade your work.

I don't need to. I already know what it says; and in fact I have managed to frustrate you because you keep thinking you can truly reveal preference through your system, something Samuelson tried, and you haven't been able to with me.

Samuelson never tried to prove that DV is more effective than BV. Why would he try and prove this when he genuinely believed that markets aren't at all necessary?
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Xerographica wrote:

Samuelson never tried to prove that DV is more effective than BV. Why would he try and prove this when he genuinely believed that markets aren't at all necessary?

I mean, what you've argued for here has no resemblance to a market, and eschews many elements of a market, which, according to you, will reveal preference better than a market, so... maybe?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Xerographica wrote:

Samuelson didn't try that, but he did try a more fundamental theorem behind your system, something you have been saying your system actually does, which is reveal preferences.

In this sense, you are fundamentally much like reveal preference theorists in that you want a solid solution to a person's ranking through consistencies. I know you have been frustrated at my dishonesty in your tests and you have tried to block every attempt at me being able to use dishonesty and get me to reveal my true valuations in your system, which you haven't been able to, which has made you salty about it.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:40 pm

Let's not turn this into r/iamverysmart, y'all.

Xero, I truly respect your persistence. While I think what you're saying is stupid, you have fought for two straight weeks against everyone. Good job.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:48 pm

The South Falls wrote:Let's not turn this into r/iamverysmart, y'all.

Xero, I truly respect your persistence. While I think what you're saying is stupid, you have fought for two straight weeks against everyone. Good job.

Let's be fair, this thread is just an extension of the general line of discussion Xero has pursued throughout his entire time on NS.

So really, he's fought for six straight years against everyone.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:50 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:

Let's be fair, this thread is just an extension of the general line of discussion Xero has pursued throughout his entire time on NS.

Not to mention the years, perhaps even a decade, he has fought on nearly every forum on the internet, trying to sell this snake oil.

We're just fighting his six long year last stand
All shall tremble before me

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Xerographica wrote:Samuelson never tried to prove that DV is more effective than BV. Why would he try and prove this when he genuinely believed that markets aren't at all necessary?

Samuelson didn't try that, but he did try a more fundamental theorem behind your system, something you have been saying your system actually does, which is reveal preferences.

In this sense, you are fundamentally much like reveal preference theorists in that you want a solid solution to a person's ranking through consistencies. I know you have been frustrated at my dishonesty in your tests and you have tried to block every attempt at me being able to use dishonesty and get me to reveal my true valuations in your system, which you haven't been able to, which has made you salty about it.

The point of these experiments is to test the difference between BV and DV. Why are you motivated to be dishonest? It's because you don't want these experiments to prove that DV is more effective than BV. But you're just delaying the inevitable.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:Not to mention totally outside the scope of their powers.

Here are numerous prominent economists, including three Nobel laureates, explaining to the Supreme Court that free-riding is a real problem. If it is in the power of the Supreme Court to ignore their input and abolish compulsory dues, then it was also in their power to leave compulsory dues alone but give employees the freedom to earmark them.

It's possible for the Supreme Court to strike down a law, or rule a practice unconstitutional. It is not possible for the Supreme Court to establish a law, which is what you're suggesting they do.

All of which is far removed from you elaborating on your email correspondence.
Last edited by Dogmeat on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Xerographica wrote:

The point of these experiments is to test the difference between BV and DV. Why are you motivated to be dishonest? It's because you don't want these experiments to prove that DV is more effective than BV. But you're just delaying the inevitable.

Indeed, you found me out!

Any more insights, armchair psychologist and telepathist?

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Here are numerous prominent economists, including three Nobel laureates, explaining to the Supreme Court that free-riding is a real problem. If it is in the power of the Supreme Court to ignore their input and abolish compulsory dues, then it was also in their power to leave compulsory dues alone but give employees the freedom to earmark them.

It's possible for the Supreme Court to strike down a law, or rule a practice unconstitutional. It is not possible for the Supreme Court to establish a law, which is what you're suggesting they do.

Did the Supreme Court strike down the law that says that people should be forced to pay for things that don't match their preferences?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:It's possible for the Supreme Court to strike down a law, or rule a practice unconstitutional. It is not possible for the Supreme Court to establish a law, which is what you're suggesting they do.

Did the Supreme Court strike down the law that says that people should be forced to pay for things that don't match their preferences?

They struck down the regulation (not law) that stated that public employees must associate with those for whom they choose not to, on the basis of freedom of association under the first amendment.

Let's not invent things not in the constitution shall we?
Last edited by Galloism on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Did the Supreme Court strike down the law that says that people should be forced to pay for things that don't match their preferences?

They struck down the regulation (not law) that stated that public employees must associate with those for whom they choose not to, on the basis of freedom of association under the first amendment.

Can you substantiate your claim with a quote?

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 pm

I mean Xero never answered this but here's a simple experiment I posted before..

You have 10 cars and 1 car at traffic lights, whenever the lights change the same number appear. So when the initial 10 move another 10 appear and another individual car appears.

BV.. 10 cars will vote to move and 1 car becomes two cars, eventually moving when they outvote with 11.
DV - we can equalise with money, thus each car has $1.. and there's no practical difference except people are wasting money for the same effect as BV. Or we equalise on sides so the 10 cars have $1 each and the individual has $10 - now no one moves at all.

So.. BV everyone moves with no money wasted. DV either money is wasted to no effect or no one moves at all.

BV is clearly better.

It's not really about whether DV reveals truer preferences, it's really about the desired outcome.. and we've shown time and again that the outcome is generally poorer with DV.. doesn't have to be all the time, just one is enough to be honest.
Last edited by Bombadil on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Seriously Xero, if you think I've spent all this effort into actually saying that ballot voting is better than your system, a system that is essentially reveal preference theory but with a money ballot, then you are into some deep state conspiracy bullshit world where you must also think I am working with Jews and the Illuminati to prove your idea wrong because you think of yourself as the next Alex Jones, a warrior trying to topple down the evil democratic government and their ballot voting systems.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:It's possible for the Supreme Court to strike down a law, or rule a practice unconstitutional. It is not possible for the Supreme Court to establish a law, which is what you're suggesting they do.

I haven't read the ruling, but I'm pretty sure they didn't.

But please, Xero, elaborate on your email correspondence. The one you definitely didn't make up.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:They struck down the regulation (not law) that stated that public employees must associate with those for whom they choose not to, on the basis of freedom of association under the first amendment.

It is literally the Supreme Court ruling which you can see in Oyez.

Holy shit, you're talking about a case you really haven't seen the ruling on?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Galloism wrote:They struck down the regulation (not law) that stated that public employees must associate with those for whom they choose not to, on the basis of freedom of association under the first amendment.

My bad, it was freedom of speech.

The First Amendment, made applicable to the States by
the Fourteenth Amendment, forbids abridgment of the
freedom of speech. We have held time and again that
freedom of speech “includes both the right to speak freely
and the right to refrain from speaking at all.” Wooley v.
Maynard, 430 U. S. 705, 714 (1977); see Riley v. National
Federation of Blind of N. C., Inc., 487 U. S. 781, 796–797
(1988); Harper & Row, Publishers, Inc. v. Nation Enterprises,
471 U. S. 539, 559 (1985); Miami Herald Publishing
Co. v. Tornillo, 418 U. S. 241, 256–257 (1974); accord,
Pacific Gas & Elec. Co. v. Public Util. Comm’n of Cal., 475
U. S. 1, 9 (1986) (plurality opinion). The right to eschew
association for expressive purposes is likewise protected.
Roberts v. United States Jaycees, 468 U. S. 609, 623 (1984)
(“Freedom of association . . . plainly presupposes a freedom
not to associate”); see Pacific Gas & Elec., supra, at
12 (“[F]orced associations that burden protected speech
are impermissible”). As Justice Jackson memorably put it:
“If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation,
it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what
shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other
matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or
act their faith therein.” West Virginia Bd. of Ed. v. Barnette,
319 U. S. 624, 642 (1943) (emphasis added).
Compelling individuals to mouth support for views they
find objectionable violates that cardinal constitutional
command, and in most contexts, any such effort would be
universally condemned. Suppose, for example, that the
State of Illinois required all residents to sign a document
expressing support for a particular set of positions on
controversial public issues—say, the platform of one of the
major political parties. No one, we trust, would seriously
argue that the First Amendment permits this.
Perhaps because such compulsion so plainly violates the
Constitution, most of our free speech cases have involved
restrictions on what can be said, rather than laws compelling
speech. But measures compelling speech are at least
as threatening.

When speech is compelled, however, additional damage
is done. In that situation, individuals are coerced into
betraying their convictions. Forcing free and independent
individuals to endorse ideas they find objectionable is
always demeaning, and for this reason, one of our landmark
free speech cases said that a law commanding “involuntary
affirmation” of objected-to beliefs would require
“even more immediate and urgent grounds” than a law
demanding silence. Barnette, supra, at 633; see also Riley,
supra, at 796–797 (rejecting “deferential test” for compelled
speech claims).
Compelling a person to subsidize the speech of other
private speakers raises similar First Amendment concerns.
Knox, supra, at 309; United States v. United Foods,
Inc., 533 U. S. 405, 410 (2001); Abood, supra, at 222, 234–
235. As Jefferson famously put it, “to compel a man to
furnish contributions of money for the propagation of
opinions which he disbelieves and abhor[s] is sinful and
tyrannical.” A Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom, in
2 Papers of Thomas Jefferson 545 (J. Boyd ed. 1950) (emphasis
deleted and footnote omitted); see also Hudson, 475
U. S., at 305, n. 15. We have therefore recognized that a
“‘significant impingement on First Amendment rights’”
occurs when public employees are required to provide
financial support for a union that “takes many positions
during collective bargaining that have powerful political
and civic consequences.” Knox, supra, at 310–311 (quoting
Ellis v. Railway Clerks, 466 U. S. 435, 455 (1984)).

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... ily&wpmm=1

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Can you substantiate your claim with a quote?

as threatening.

speech claims).

It's both, from your quote:

The right to eschew
are impermissible”).

They just decided to talk more extensively about speech, but association is also implied to have been abridged.

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:09 pm

Galloism wrote:
Xerographica wrote:Can you substantiate your claim with a quote?

as threatening.

speech claims).

Look at this Xero, Gallo substantiated a claim immediately with relevant data, and admitted error.

This is why people take him seriously.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:15 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:

Honestly speaking, it has been the same thread, over and over again. All that changes are the subjects, but ever since he started posting, it's been about this idea. Quite the fixation. This is but the latest incarnation, and the batshit-est one yet because instead of keeping it in NSG, it has spilled toxic waste into Technical, and Moderation even.

He should have given up a long time ago. Or as soon as the mods told him that no, his idea is not something that interests the site. Not once, or twice, but multiple times. The truth is he got his answer a long time ago. He just doesn't like it because it proves his take is shit but eh. Some people don't go down easily, not even when they have been proven wrong. A fucking hydra of a thread.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:18 pm

I am still waiting on your proof that your system does something else rather than Samuelson's idea of revealing preferences, which you said "any economist with half a brain would refute it".

Your system is not donation voting, so you can stop bullshitting me Xero. For years you have argued that your system would reveal preferences and would rank shit in order of priorities, you even said so in this thread. So it sounds awfully similar to Samuelson's argument for reveal preference theory.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:47 pm

Xero, are you ever going to explain why I shouldn't DV for my true preference of getting myself a set on the lifeboat since I have no chance of winning, even though the supposed point of your system is to "reveal true preference"?
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:03 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:Xero, are you ever going to explain why I shouldn't DV for my true preference of getting myself a set on the lifeboat since I have no chance of winning, even though the supposed point of your system is to "reveal true preference"?

Xero's only belief here is if you have more money you deserve your seat, that's it. If a drunk lottery winner buys all the seats to better ensure his survival then he gets all the seats and everyone else can sink.

Much as if people allocated taxes the rich would have a lovely road system and security and everyone else can suffer. Which effectively already occurs already since politicians vote according to their campaign donor interests over the electorate.

Remove any practical outcome and assume pure intentions then DV probably does determine intent better but in reality it only has use in certain cases, certainly not all.

But bees..
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General