NATION

PASSWORD

Pragmatarian Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Is the main premise of your theory for us to reveal our true valuation, yes or no?

The main premise is that DV is better than the alternatives (ie BV) at revealing valuations.

Yes, or no?

I am not asking you for an explanation.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:48 pm

This is slowly turning into more of a court case than a discussion.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Xerographica wrote:The main premise is that DV is better than the alternatives (ie BV) at revealing valuations.

Yes, or no?

I didn't give you an explanation. You asked for the main premise and I gave it to you. When it comes to revealing the demand for things, DV is better than the alternatives.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 pm

The South Falls wrote:This is slowly turning into more of a court case than a discussion.

I don't object.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 pm

It's kind of like the flaw in Austrian Economics, where you create models that rely on the assumption of perfect intentions and perfect knowledge.. great.. look at that.. but put it into reality and the outcomes all fail.

The market is efficient because people invest based on value.. even betting doesn't, we see the polls were better than betting in the Republican nomination process...

Who I will bet on to win might be different to who I think will win and who I think will win might be more accurate averaged out over who one bets will win.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Yes, or no?

I didn't give you an explanation. You asked for the main premise and I gave it to you. When it comes to revealing the demand for things, DV is better than the alternatives.

No, I asked you a yes or no question. You gave me a roundabout answer. I didn't ask you "could you please explain again your main premise" I asked you whether that was your preference or not.

Now, follow directions, is your premise that your system will reveal our true preferences, yes or no?
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm

The South Falls wrote:This is slowly turning into more of a court case than a discussion.

It was never much of a discussion. Xero doesn't listen to or care what the other side is saying.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Dogmeat wrote:

It was never much of a discussion. Xero doesn't listen to or care what the other side is saying.

Like, a court case where the defense has headphones and a blindfold. Yea.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Dogmeat wrote:

I object!

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:It was never much of a discussion. Xero doesn't listen to or care what the other side is saying.

I object!

You're objectionable.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:It was never much of a discussion. Xero doesn't listen to or care what the other side is saying.

I object!

Objection denied.

Now answer the fucking question, it's a yes or no question and it's not that hard.

Is your premise that your system will reveal our true preferences, yes or no?

I'm not letting you squeeze again from this, you can either learn how to answer a simple question the easy way or the hard way.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Xerographica wrote:I didn't give you an explanation. You asked for the main premise and I gave it to you. When it comes to revealing the demand for things, DV is better than the alternatives.

No, I asked you a yes or no question. You gave me a roundabout answer. I didn't ask you "could you please explain again your main premise" I asked you whether that was your preference or not.

Now, follow directions, is your premise that your system will reveal our true preferences, yes or no?

DV isn't perfect. I never claimed it was. My claim is that it's better than the alternatives.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Xerographica wrote:

DV isn't perfect. I never claimed it was. My claim is that it's better than the alternatives.

Yes, or no?

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Xerographica wrote:I object!

You're objectionable.

You're subjectionable.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Xerographica wrote:DV isn't perfect. I never claimed it was. My claim is that it's better than the alternatives.

Yes, or no?

Here's me using my words to communicate that I want justice for The Parkus Empire. Does this adequately reveal my demand for justice? Of course not. Demand can only be revealed by personal sacrifice.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Yes, or no?

Here's me using my words to communicate that I want justice for The Parkus Empire. Does this adequately reveal my demand for justice? Of course not. Demand can only be revealed by personal sacrifice.

Again, yes or no Xero? Is your premise that your system will reveal our true preferences, yes or no?

I'm not asking you about Parkus, and I sure as shit wasn't asking you whether or not you have claimed it was perfect, and I also didn't ask you to tell me what your premise was.

I asked you to tell me whether or not your premise is that your system will reveal our true preferences. I want you to tell me either "yes" or "no". I am not asking you for an explanation, I am not asking you for an excuse, and I am not asking you to give me an example. I know what I'm asking.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Xerographica wrote:Here's me using my words to communicate that I want justice for The Parkus Empire. Does this adequately reveal my demand for justice? Of course not. Demand can only be revealed by personal sacrifice.

Again, yes or no Xero? Is your premise that your system will reveal our true preferences, yes or no?

I'm not asking you about Parkus, and I sure as shit wasn't asking you whether or not you have claimed it was perfect, and I also didn't ask you to tell me what your premise was.

I asked you to tell me whether or not your premise is that your system will reveal our true preferences.

You've proved that my system won't always reveal people's true demand for things. But the alternatives will never reveal people's true demand for things.
Last edited by Xerographica on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:13 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Yes, or no?

I mean, you're going to lose your nation if you keep spamming moderation. That's a sort of sacrifice. It won't accomplish anything, though.
Last edited by Dogmeat on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:13 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Xerographica wrote:It's not a waste to help fund our community, just like it's not a waste to help fund our government.

Also...

Justice For The Parkus Empire!

It would not indicate the community's wants since the only person who'd contribute is you, and only to 'prove your system, other than a few who'd spend more than you just to spite you.

So it would not indicate the community's wants, just yours and a couple other people.

Much as if we expanded, the greatest contributions would go to the upkeep of roads and security for well off areas.. unless.. unless what you really want is communism whereby we all have an equal allocation given equal pay - but then kind of pointless for your system since they haven't 'earned it' and therefore it's not a true indication.

You've been shown plenty of examples where DV does not have a better outcome than BV.. you state it is always better.. you seem to think it's a problem of our not understanding your theory.. we do.. we've shown examples of where it's wrong, we've explained why it doesn't work and some have had to provide actual realities of how markets and other such things work.. but you have this logical theory that works in your head but not always in reality.. sometimes yes, not always.

Parkus deserved his DEAT. I'm not happy he's gone per se, I remember him as relatively decent back in the day but turning this site into a popularity contest is not a great idea.

Quite. Rules are rules. It’s not a reflection on whethe people hate or want Parkus to leave. It’s that he broke forum rules and consequently, has to face the music.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
It would not indicate the community's wants since the only person who'd contribute is you, and only to 'prove your system, other than a few who'd spend more than you just to spite you.

So it would not indicate the community's wants, just yours and a couple other people.

Much as if we expanded, the greatest contributions would go to the upkeep of roads and security for well off areas.. unless.. unless what you really want is communism whereby we all have an equal allocation given equal pay - but then kind of pointless for your system since they haven't 'earned it' and therefore it's not a true indication.

You've been shown plenty of examples where DV does not have a better outcome than BV.. you state it is always better.. you seem to think it's a problem of our not understanding your theory.. we do.. we've shown examples of where it's wrong, we've explained why it doesn't work and some have had to provide actual realities of how markets and other such things work.. but you have this logical theory that works in your head but not always in reality.. sometimes yes, not always.

Parkus deserved his DEAT. I'm not happy he's gone per se, I remember him as relatively decent back in the day but turning this site into a popularity contest is not a great idea.

Quite. Rules are rules. It’s not a reflection on whethe people hate or want Parkus to leave. It’s that he broke forum rules and consequently, has to face the music.

Anyway, he's back as Unfear - it was a DEAT not a DOS.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:40 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Yes, or no?

Oh yes, such a sacrifice to beg the mods to have mercy on this person you hardly even know or care about. Shinedown has a good quote for this: “Find your martyr, I’m sure you’ve made the crown.” You (and Parkus) can quit looking now like you’re the victims of some terrible conspiracy. Take some personal responsibility. Stop hiding behind pretty words and stupid ideas (like this thread) to hide the fact that you are willing to use anyone you can find to die for ideas you won’t even put yourself on the line for. Both that thread and this one are drawn-out farces, one of which Kyrusia mercifully put down, the other which is only running because you dodge questions harder than Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 am

Xerographica wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
No, but we aren't after a metric for making decisions for what to vote for. We're after a metric to decide which system has performed best in the experiment.

Why don't we make a metric for making decisions for what to BV for?

Because the rest of us aren't claiming that there's a coherent universal definition of "better" for decision making processes and trying to make experiments to test such. But yes, your definition should, at a minimum, cover both BV and DV, and they should be comparable in the poset that it gives.
Last edited by Salandriagado on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:16 am

Xerographica wrote:
Yes, or no?

That was justice. Rules were broken, punishment was delivered. You're basically suggesting people should be allowed to bribe their way out of punishment here.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am

Xerographica wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
No it wouldn't, it would indicate who has the most money to waste.

It's not a waste to help fund our community, just like it's not a waste to help fund our government.

Also...

Justice For The Parkus Empire!

Xerographica wrote:
Yes, or no?

*** Warned for threadjacking ***

Parkus is not the subject of this thread. The continued use of this thread as a platform to litigate his deletion will result in the thread being locked and further punishments being handed out to whoever continues the threadjack.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:29 am

This experiment is strange in my opinion (I’m a total newb’ in this), but it seems clear that donation voting really transforms the results. But since it is a discussion forum, informal responses are expected either way.

Also, my BV for this thread is: Minoan Social Democracy.

Am i doing this right, or am I just not good enough?
Last edited by Minoa on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General