NATION

PASSWORD

Puerto Rico and the UN

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gaine Moon
Attaché

Founded: Jun 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaine Moon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:49 am

Puerto Rico is about $74 billion in debt. With all that debt, would their state government be able to function? If so, then they should become a state. If not, I don't think so.
Last edited by Gaine Moon on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:52 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Auze wrote:Puerto Ricians seem to not want that.

Irrelevant. I don't believe in the doctrine of popular sovereignty.

Irrelevant, it's kinda important here.
Gaine Moon wrote:Puerto Rico is about $74 billion in debt. With all that debt, would their state government be able to function? If so, then they should become a state. If not, I don't think so.

Considering that they have more people than Wyoming, they should be brought in as a state.
Last edited by Auze on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Gaine Moon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaine Moon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:54 am

Austria Minor wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Um no. Like you’re ideas in the Dino thread this is also dumb

So you'd rather see a culture get absorbed into American culture? Are you an imperialist or something? I mean what about all the Hispanic people with cultural heritage living on the island? You want to start a riot that would only effect and diminish a beautiful culture? Like Internationalist Bastard said modern day Puerto Rico is just fine and doesn't need anymore U.S interaction then it already has.

Ideally, America should have one culture. I'm not talking about race or religion, but simply culture. However, considering there is already a vast Puerto Rican diaspora across the United States, I doubt statehood alone would erase its culture and heritage. So, I disagree with your point about its culture being "absorbed".

Considering that they have more people than Wisconsin, they should be brought in as a state.

A state government would have to house all those people, educate their children, rebuild everything destroyed or damaged in the recent hurricane, and do everything that a state government would need to do.
Last edited by Gaine Moon on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auze
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:58 am

Gaine Moon wrote:
Austria Minor wrote:
So you'd rather see a culture get absorbed into American culture? Are you an imperialist or something? I mean what about all the Hispanic people with cultural heritage living on the island? You want to start a riot that would only effect and diminish a beautiful culture? Like Internationalist Bastard said modern day Puerto Rico is just fine and doesn't need anymore U.S interaction then it already has.

Ideally, America should have one culture. I'm not talking about race or religion, but simply culture. However, considering there is already a vast Puerto Rican diaspora across the United States, I doubt statehood alone would erase its culture and heritage. So, I disagree with your point about its culture being "absorbed".

Of course, the regions already have different cultures. I don't think we should erase the creole cultures like the Gullah, anyway.

[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.

Gaine Moon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaine Moon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:01 am

Auze wrote:
Gaine Moon wrote:

Of course, the regions already have different cultures. I don't think we should erase the creole cultures like the Gullah, anyway.

Considering the Gullah culture was born in the American south, I believe it is American in culture.

Gaine Moon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaine Moon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:03 am

Gaine Moon wrote:
Auze wrote:Of course, the regions already have different cultures. I don't think we should erase the creole cultures like the Gullah, anyway.

Considering the Gullah culture was born in the American south, I believe it is American in culture.

Also, I'm not saying the US government should actively erase other cultures, I just think they should assimilate into American culture.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:

We do, however, believe, that the island is guarded by the world's greatest army, which respects the popular sovereignty, and if the Spanish do a damn thing, they'll get their asses on a platter, and that it is rather asinine to tell actual Americans they are Spanish.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:52 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:

Spain lost the war. They don’t deserve shit.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:53 am

Gaine Moon wrote:Puerto Rico is about $74 billion in debt. With all that debt, would their state government be able to function? If so, then they should become a state. If not, I don't think so.

The Federal government actually takes on state debt if they default
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Gaine Moon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaine Moon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:56 am

Thermodolia wrote:

The Federal government actually takes on state debt if they default

Doesn't the Federal government have enough debt as it is? :eyebrow:

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:59 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Irrelevant. I don't believe in the doctrine of popular sovereignty.

We do, however, believe, that the island is guarded by the world's greatest army, which respects the popular sovereignty, and if the Spanish do a damn thing, they'll get their asses on a platter,

I merely stated what I believe should happen. I am under no illusions with regards to its likelihood.
and that it is rather asinine to tell actual Americans they are Spanish.

They may be regarded as Americans under US law, but that means nothing to me.
Thermodolia wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Irrelevant. I don't believe in the doctrine of popular sovereignty.

Spain lost the war. They don’t deserve shit.

"Might makes right," then. Classy. I suspect that if a country you didn't like were to invade and annex the territory of its neighbour, your attitude would be different.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:02 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:We do, however, believe, that the island is guarded by the world's greatest army, which respects the popular sovereignty, and if the Spanish do a damn thing, they'll get their asses on a platter,

I merely stated what I believe should happen. I am under no illusions with regards to its likelihood.

Mostly because your point is "I don't give a shit about any rational point".
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:02 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:We do, however, believe, that the island is guarded by the world's greatest army, which respects the popular sovereignty, and if the Spanish do a damn thing, they'll get their asses on a platter,

Thermodolia wrote:Spain lost the war. They don’t deserve shit.

"Might makes right," then. Classy. I suspect that if a country you didn't like were to invade and annex the territory of its neighbour, your attitude would be different.

That assumes I gave a shit about it’s neighbor. Also if PR goes back to Spain than so should Gibraltar
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:04 am

Gaine Moon wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:The Federal government actually takes on state debt if they default

Doesn't the Federal government have enough debt as it is? :eyebrow:

$74 Billion isn’t gonna make a difference
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:06 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:I merely stated what I believe should happen. I am under no illusions with regards to its likelihood.

That assumes I gave a shit about it’s neighbor. Also if PR goes back to Spain than so should Gibraltar

Gibraltar was not seized in a naked war of aggression. Puerto Rico was.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Gaine Moon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaine Moon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:08 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:

Thermodolia wrote:Spain lost the war. They don’t deserve shit.

They aren't regarded as Americans, they are Americans
Last edited by Gaine Moon on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:10 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:That assumes I gave a shit about it’s neighbor. Also if PR goes back to Spain than so should Gibraltar

And a 120+ years later, Puerto Ricans are Americans, and the Spanish can't even take the island.

In other words, PR is American by culture and by force, and Spanish by "gib bacc".

Gaine Moon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaine Moon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:17 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:That assumes I gave a shit about it’s neighbor. Also if PR goes back to Spain than so should Gibraltar

So why don't we give Texas back to Mexico? Or why not all of North America to the pre-Columbian civlizations?

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 am

Gaine Moon wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:I merely stated what I believe should happen. I am under no illusions with regards to its likelihood.

They aren't regarded as Americans, they are Americans

Only by decree of the island's occupiers. History has demonstrated that Puerto Ricans themselves have no particular qualms with switching their allegiance according to convenience, so claims that they "want to be American" fall rather flat.
Gaine Moon wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Gibraltar was not seized in a naked war of aggression. Puerto Rico was.

So why don't we give Texas back to Mexico?

I mean, I wouldn't object to that. It'd be even less practical at present than returning Puerto Rico to Spain, however.

Texas will probably end up Mexican again at some point in the future anyway if current demographic trends continue.
Or why not all of North America to the pre-Columbian civlizations?

They no longer exist as sovereign political entities whilst the Spanish Crown clearly does.
Last edited by Old Tyrannia on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:25 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:

Spain has enough problems with nationalist movements already without adding another one.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Auze
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:29 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:

Seems like it.
In 1704, Anglo-Dutch forces captured Gibraltar from Spain during the War of the Spanish Succession on behalf of the Habsburg claim to the Spanish throne. The territory was ceded to Great Britain in perpetuity under the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713.
Last edited by Auze on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:35 am

Auze wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Gibraltar was not seized in a naked war of aggression. Puerto Rico was.

Seems like it.
In 1704, Anglo-Dutch forces captured Gibraltar from Spain during the War of the Spanish Succession on behalf of the Habsburg claim to the Spanish throne. The territory was ceded to Great Britain in perpetuity under the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713.

Except obviously not, because the War of the Spanish Succession was not an imperialistic campaign on the part of the British but an intervention in a succession dispute. Gibraltar was ceded to the British in good faith in return for recognising Philip V as King of Spain. The Spanish-American War was launched purely in order for the United States to seize Spanish territories on a flimsy pretext.
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Gaine Moon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaine Moon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:37 am

History has demonstrated that Puerto Ricans themselves have no particular qualms with switching their allegiance according to convenience, so claims that they "want to be American" fall rather flat.

Puerto Rico has been part of the USA for 120 years, and never once have their government or people expressed a desire to return to being a Spanish colony.

Gaine Moon
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaine Moon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:38 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Auze wrote:Seems like it.

Except obviously not, because the War of the Spanish Succession was not an imperialistic campaign on the part of the British but an intervention in a succession dispute. Gibraltar was ceded to the British in good faith in return for recognising Philip V as King of Spain. The Spanish-American War was launched purely in order for the United States to seize Spanish territories on a flimsy pretext.

And why would the British want to intervene in a soveriegn nation's succession dispute? Imperialism by another name.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:47 am

Gaine Moon wrote:
History has demonstrated that Puerto Ricans themselves have no particular qualms with switching their allegiance according to convenience, so claims that they "want to be American" fall rather flat.

Puerto Rico has been part of the USA for 120 years, and never once have their government or people expressed a desire to return to being a Spanish colony.

Probably because it has been convenient for them to remain a US territory (not a "part" of the United States- Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory, meaning that the United States itself does not regard Puerto Rico as being legally part of the US). Puerto Ricans were enthusiastically pro-Spanish until it became clear that the US was going to win.
"I have never seen such a servile, ungrateful country [i.e., Puerto Rico].... In twenty-four hours, the people of Puerto Rico went from being fervently Spanish to enthusiastically American.... They humiliated themselves, giving in to the invader as the slave bows to the powerful lord."
- Julio Cervera Baviera, Spanish soldier in the Puerto Rico campaign

Gaine Moon wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Except obviously not, because the War of the Spanish Succession was not an imperialistic campaign on the part of the British but an intervention in a succession dispute. Gibraltar was ceded to the British in good faith in return for recognising Philip V as King of Spain. The Spanish-American War was launched purely in order for the United States to seize Spanish territories on a flimsy pretext.

And why would the British want to intervene in a soveriegn nation's succession dispute? Imperialism by another name.

Because the outcome of said dispute threatened to radically alter the balance of power in Europe, and the opposing candidate- a French prince- was openly supported by Britain's main rival France.
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General