NATION

PASSWORD

WHO classifies 'gaming disorder' as Mental Health Condition

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Good thing I don’t go to church either. :p

Churches have lawn mowing to get done too.
Ah! It's all making sense now!

Maybe there ought to be lawn mowing video games for old codgers where players win by cutting the grass best. Will need a scratch and sniff fresh grass smell on the packaging to soothe the usual Dad cravings.

I fix shit. Aka start projects that never get finished
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Unconquered Frontier
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Unconquered Frontier » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:24 am

I had this (went on computer games all the time as a teenager) but I blame autism and being a teenager. I'm not sure if an adult who's neurotypical and otherwise mentally healthy could have that. If they did and it got in the way of living life they wanted to, it would be a problem. Not sure about illness, but not ideal in terms of mental health either. Something an adult ought to self-intervene with. As for teens and kids, parents should step in if it becomes addictive. Not the state outside of school doing something if it's getting in the way of class time.
There was a mother on TV yesterday who said 'my kid is addicted to video games, it's like alcohol, sure, some people can handle a glass of wine but other people can't and it's the same with games'.
Well, I'm pretty sure if she had any alcholic in the house at all, even her husband or herself, she'd ban alcohol from the house. Most people do. Drink outside if you want but don't take it home to an alcoholic and let the local pubs and off licenses know the problem. Why don't people like her simply ban devices in their homes, search his room for devices and tell the school/rest of the family/family friends about this 'addiction' the boy has? If nothing else, at least he'd be getting out and about to search for places to do the gaming from and might get to talk to real life people in the process... You can't be addicted to video games if you can't access them. Unless, of course, it's because it's not as deadly as alcoholism is and she shouldn't be comparing it.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:30 am

It seems very unlikely that the WHO is going to be considering anyone who plays games - even extensively as suffering from this disorder. The crucial criteria for diagnosis seem to be very similar to a lot of mental health conditions - from the WHO page (bold added for emphasis)

Gaming disorder is defined in the draft 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) as a pattern of gaming behavior (“digital-gaming” or “video-gaming”) characterized by impaired control over gaming, increasing priority given to gaming over other activities to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other interests and daily activities, and continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences.

For gaming disorder to be diagnosed, the behaviour pattern must be of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning and would normally have been evident for at least 12 months.

So this isn't a case of someone playing online quite a lot. It's beyond that - it's the cases in which someone's gaming is having a severe impact on other spheres of their life. It also has to be present for quite some time.

I'd broadly agree with this. There's no problem with playing games at all. It's an enjoyable hobby and it's been really interesting to watch video games go from taking those first faltering steps to proudly standing up as a valid cultural medium on a par with film and literature.

However, if you're playing videogames to the extent that you've lost your job, that your relationship with your family and friends is atrophying and suffering and you are forgetting to take care of yourself then yes, you have a problem.

As for why Gaming Disorder hasn't simply been included under other categories. Not being a trained psychologist, I am also going to defer to the experts who drew up this - again taken from the WHO page and bolded for emphasis:

A decision on inclusion of gaming disorder in ICD-11 is based on reviews of available evidence and reflects a consensus of experts from different disciplines and geographical regions that were involved in the process of technical consultations undertaken by WHO in the process of ICD-11 development.

The inclusion of gaming disorder in ICD-11 follows the development of treatment programmes for people with health conditions identical to those characteristic of gaming disorder in many parts of the world, and will result in the increased attention of health professionals to the risks of development of this disorder and, accordingly, to relevant prevention and treatment measures.

It seems like (inferring here) that the reason that Gaming Disorder has been created as a distinct label could be because the condition itself, methods used to diagnose it and treatments are different enough from other mental health treatments (for OCD ect) to warrant its own label.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:31 am

The Free Joy State wrote:-Snip-

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I have no doubt that there has been considerable research devoted to this issue, I just question the validity of having this as a distinct disorder, instead of putting it with the other obsessive-compulsive disorders, and whether gaming addiction isn't a mere symptom of other psychological issues, as others have pointed out in the thread.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:42 am

The New California Republic wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:-Snip-

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I have no doubt that there has been considerable research devoted to this issue, I just question the validity of having this as a distinct disorder, instead of putting it with the other obsessive-compulsive disorders, and whether gaming addiction isn't a mere symptom of other psychological issues, as others have pointed out in the thread.

That's a good point. I read somewhere that people with certain traits are more likely to become addicted to gaming. This is only an abstract (I wish I could get the whole thing) but it hypothesises that higher neuroticism, anxiety and sensation-seeking are linked to gaming addiction.

I'm not sure that's sufficient evidence for it being a symptom of another psychological issue, rather than a distinct disorder. As I say, a lot of research -- by people way more qualified than me -- has been done. But, perhaps further research will show there's an argument for it being more likely to occur with people who already have another disorder?
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:44 am

Inane, in my mind. Wouldn't a "gaming disorder" just fall into a broader category of addiction to material and stimulatory things (excluding alcohol, drugs etc). Or am I totally wrong here?

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:45 am

Major-Tom wrote:Inane, in my mind. Wouldn't a "gaming disorder" just fall into a broader category of addiction to material and stimulatory things (excluding alcohol, drugs etc). Or am I totally wrong here?

I read it as the reason it's separated is because the process of diagnoses and the treatment of the condition are different enough to warrant a new category.

I could be wrong though - just what I inferred from the WHO website.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:48 am

Major-Tom wrote:Inane, in my mind. Wouldn't a "gaming disorder" just fall into a broader category of addiction to material and stimulatory things (excluding alcohol, drugs etc). Or am I totally wrong here?

I believe it's a considered to be a subcategory of behavioural addiction, as opposed to substance addiction.

EDIT: Yes. It's a subset of behavioural addiction. Here's the ICD-11's brief cover page on what addiction are considered behavioural: https://icd.who.int/browse11/l-m/en#/ht ... f499894965
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:19 pm

The New California Republic wrote:I think there are other obsessive human behaviors that are far more worthy of being classified as a mental health condition. For example, the obsession with cellphones or social media, and the radical change in behavior that results...

No reason why they can't both be mental health problems.

The key thing is the severity of the obsession and the extent to which it interferes with someone's life, not whether it is video games, social media, etc.

Not everyone that goes to a blackjack table has a gambling addiction and not everyone that plays a video game has video game addiction, but there are some people that have an unhealthy relationship with their games.

I also think the amount of time that some people spend in front of their TV should be part of the same discussion. I mean, there's watching a movie, and then there's parking yourself in front of the TV for 10 hours.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Khataiy
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:21 pm

Reminds me of when the UN or something wanted to make playing violent video games a war crime.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:36 pm

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:Also, there exists a "cure" for this """""""disorder"""""". I reccomend employing it liberally on anyone who says "they can't help it". (Yes, BTW, I am now aware this video was staged.)

I play video games for six, eight, or more hours a day because I want to. I only do this because I am currently mentally incapable of holding a job and am unable to drive. I actually have a real mental illness, and I laugh at anyone who says that palying too many video games is a form of mental defect. They don't know what it's like to bare the yoke of autism. They will NEVER understand it.

Would you like me to call you a whambulance?

Just because some disorders are more serious than others doesn't mean the less serious ones are not real. That's like saying flu isn't a disease because cancer is worse. Well, yeah, cancer is worse, but they're both real diseases.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:59 pm

The Burke Islands wrote:I bet the people who call this a mental illness have never picked up a controller in their life.

Or they have, and they had trouble putting it down.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:13 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
TURTLESHROOM II wrote:Also, there exists a "cure" for this """""""disorder"""""". I reccomend employing it liberally on anyone who says "they can't help it". (Yes, BTW, I am now aware this video was staged.)

I play video games for six, eight, or more hours a day because I want to. I only do this because I am currently mentally incapable of holding a job and am unable to drive. I actually have a real mental illness, and I laugh at anyone who says that palying too many video games is a form of mental defect. They don't know what it's like to bare the yoke of autism. They will NEVER understand it.

Just because some disorders are more serious than others doesn't mean the less serious ones are not real. That's like saying flu isn't a disease because cancer is worse. Well, yeah, cancer is worse, but they're both real diseases.

This is actually one of those things that “human psychology is weird”. Almost anything can be psychologically addicting - basketball, driving, skydiving, eating, even throwing up (oddly true). It just has to activate the reward response in the brain, and the brain want more of it more than anything else.

It surprises me none that video games can do the same. We used to refer to Evercrack as a joke, but it was funny because it had a kernel of truth.

It may not be as addicting as literal crack, but psychological addiction is a thing.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:09 am

Galloism wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

This is actually one of those things that “human psychology is weird”. Almost anything can be psychologically addicting - basketball, driving, skydiving, eating, even throwing up (oddly true). It just has to activate the reward response in the brain, and the brain want more of it more than anything else.

It surprises me none that video games can do the same. We used to refer to Evercrack as a joke, but it was funny because it had a kernel of truth.

It may not be as addicting as literal crack, but psychological addiction is a thing.
In that regard, I believe it isn't so much about what is being done as an addiction, but rather the causes behind the addiction that should be focused on.

I mean, I hate to armchair quarterback a literal group of health professionals, but this seems like it's looking at the symptoms rather than the cause.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:31 am

What's the real reason the WHO decided to classify playing video games as a disorder? Are they paving the way for pharmaceutical companies to sell drugs to supposedly sick kids? I don't get it.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:40 am

-Ocelot- wrote:What's the real reason the WHO decided to classify playing video games as a disorder? Are they paving the way for pharmaceutical companies to sell drugs to supposedly sick kids? I don't get it.

The WHO haven't classified "playing video games" as a disorder.

The WHO is very clear that it's not about playing video games, but a "behaviour pattern [that] must be of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning and would normally have been evident for at least 12 months." and that not everyone who plays video games -- even for significant periods of time -- is addicted or susceptible to addiction.

Treating behavioural addiction, I believe, is usually more focused on psychological therapies rather than medication.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:59 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:What's the real reason the WHO decided to classify playing video games as a disorder? Are they paving the way for pharmaceutical companies to sell drugs to supposedly sick kids? I don't get it.

The WHO haven't classified "playing video games" as a disorder.

The WHO is very clear that it's not about playing video games, but a "behaviour pattern [that] must be of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning and would normally have been evident for at least 12 months." and that not everyone who plays video games -- even for significant periods of time -- is addicted or susceptible to addiction.

Treating behavioural addiction, I believe, is usually more focused on psychological therapies rather than medication.

That sounds incredibly vague. What constitutes "significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas"? If a parent decrees that their child is significantly impaired because they play videogames and got a "B" instead of "A", should that kid go through the process of therapy? If a person is very introverted, has minimal social life by choice and happens to play videogames, should they also undergo therapy? Who gets to define what is impairment and what isn't? Aside from the time period, other criteria are vague enough that you can pretty much label anyone who plays videogames habitually problematic.

And even if drugs won't be the solution to this newfound problem, who is going to profit from this in the long run?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:13 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:The WHO haven't classified "playing video games" as a disorder.

That sounds incredibly vague. What constitutes "significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas"? If a parent decrees that their child is significantly impaired because they play videogames and got a "B" instead of "A", should that kid go through the process of therapy? If a person is very introverted, has minimal social life by choice and happens to play videogames, should they also undergo therapy? Who gets to define what is impairment and what isn't? Aside from the time period, other criteria are vague enough that you can pretty much label anyone who plays videogames habitually problematic.

And even if drugs won't be the solution to this newfound problem, who is going to profit from this in the long run?

It's newly added, but not that newfound. They've been researching it for awhile.

Earlier, I posted a link to the Lemmens Gaming Addiction Scale, which tells you the kind of criteria. Here it is again. It's about so much more than introverts with minimal social lives who happen to play a lot of video games.

The criteria isn't actually vague. It's easily in line with that for gambling addiction, for example. This is the whole scale:

How often during the last six months...
Salience
...did you think about playing a game all day long? *
...did you spend much free time on games?
...have you felt addicted to a game?
Tolerance
...did you spend increasing amounts of time on games? *
...did you play longer than intended?
...were you unable to stop once you started playing?
Mood Modification
...did you play games to forget about real life? *
...have you played games to release anger or stress?
...have you played games to feel better?
Relapse
...have others unsuccessfully tried to reduce your game use? *
...were you unable to reduce your game time?
...have you failed when trying to reduce game time?
Withdrawal
...have you felt bad when you were unable to play? *
...have you become angry when unable to play?
...have you become stressed when unable to play?
Conflict
...did you have fights with others (e.g., family, friends) over your time spent on games? *
...have you neglected others (e.g., family, friends) because you were playing games?
...have you lied about time spent on games?
Problems
...have you neglected other important activities (e.g., school, work, sports) to play games? *
...has your time on games caused sleep deprivation?
...did you feel bad after playing for a long time?

I really don't see any grand plot or profit here.

The only people who'll profit are the people who do have a problematic relationship with gaming who, with the problem acknowledged, will be able to find appropriate help.

Of course, there's a chance parents will see the headlines and view their child's perfectly normal hobby as a clinical disorder. But it's doctors and psychologists who will make the diagnoses (or not, in cases of the healthy offspring over-anxious parents who've consulted Dr. Google), and not parents reading spurious pseudo-diagnostic websites that tell you your headache is a brain tumour.

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:12 am

Sounds to me like it's just a different expression of a particular type of obsessive disorder. Video games just happens to be the subject of the behaviour.
Don't really see the need to give it it's own category, but I'm no psychologist. Maybe there is one.

Calling it a Video Gaming Disorder though almost makes it sound like the games are the cause.

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 am

Galloism wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Yes, and it's because of this that I'm not sure it was entirely necessary to create a "gaming disorder" rather than simply rolling it in with a generalized addictive disorder.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:21 am

Alvecia wrote:Sounds to me like it's just a different expression of a particular type of obsessive disorder. Video games just happens to be the subject of the behaviour.
Don't really see the need to give it it's own category, but I'm no psychologist. Maybe there is one.

Calling it a Video Gaming Disorder though almost makes it sound like the games are the cause.

Specific categories are given to types of obsessive disorders, such as gambling addiction or in this case gaming addiction. This doesn't mean that whatever they're addicted to is the direct cause, just like casinos aren't the cause of gambling addiction and video games aren't the cause of gaming addiction.

Iridencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Iridencia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:37 am

Anything in excess can be bad, it's not saying video games alone are bad.

United Muscovite Nations wrote:The survey you linked is a little misleading because it includes casual and mobile games like Angry Birds or Ruzzle. If you look at more dedicated gaming platforms like Steam, it's well known that there is a huge gender disparity (some estimates are that 96% of steam profiles are owned by males).

So? Why don't phone games count? They are games delivered through electric digital format. They're certainly less grand than something that comes from a cartridge or disc, but why is that an important distinction?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:42 am

Iridencia wrote:Anything in excess can be bad, it's not saying video games alone are bad.

United Muscovite Nations wrote:The survey you linked is a little misleading because it includes casual and mobile games like Angry Birds or Ruzzle. If you look at more dedicated gaming platforms like Steam, it's well known that there is a huge gender disparity (some estimates are that 96% of steam profiles are owned by males).

So? Why don't phone games count? They are games delivered through electric digital format. They're certainly less grand than something that comes from a cartridge or disc, but why is that an important distinction?

Being fair, calling my 91 year old grandmother a gamer because she plays candy crush on her tablet when bored seems a little wrong or useless. It just means gamer means “lives in a western country”, with a few exceptions.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:58 am

Galloism wrote:
Iridencia wrote:Anything in excess can be bad, it's not saying video games alone are bad.

Being fair, calling my 91 year old grandmother a gamer because she plays candy crush on her tablet when bored seems a little wrong or useless. It just means gamer means “lives in a western country”, with a few exceptions.

If it was books and not video games, would you say that your grandmother isn't a reader because she reads short stories, not War And Peace?
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:11 am

Ifreann wrote:
Galloism wrote:Being fair, calling my 91 year old grandmother a gamer because she plays candy crush on her tablet when bored seems a little wrong or useless. It just means gamer means “lives in a western country”, with a few exceptions.

If it was books and not video games, would you say that your grandmother isn't a reader because she reads short stories, not War And Peace?

If she only read newspaper funnies, and “reader” in the common parlance meant something more substantial than that (ie, reading whole books), then I wouldn’t call her a “reader”, no.

Which is a more apt comparison.

If I did, “reader” would be diluted to mean basically nothing. Do you consider people who read nationstates “readers”?
Last edited by Galloism on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General