NATION

PASSWORD

Libertarian Discussion Thread II - Don't Thread on Me

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is the best libertarian ideology?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Classical liberalism
48%
Minarchism
9%
Anarcho-capitalism
5%
Bakunin's anarchism
8%
Anarcho-syndicalism
17%
Other/Anarcho-statism
14%

Total votes : 66

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:36 pm

The South Falls wrote:Libertarian faith? Is this a religion?

Haven't you joined the Church of Ayn Rand (pbuh) yet?
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:39 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:

I'm still in the church of Jesus Christ. It's a little better.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Torrocca wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:
You jest but this is unironically a good synopsis of Marxist thought.

TIL teethbrushes = the means of production and a society with money, a state, and a stratified, hierarchical class-system

They aren't fundamentally different, my toothbrush is as much my toothbrush as my 20,000 square foot shop building and various factory machines are mine.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:46 pm

The South Falls wrote:

I'm still in the church of Jesus Christ. It's a little better.

Jesus was a red. He sacrifices himself, without anyone else's consent, and then like a true extortionist demands you to pay him back because you "owe" him.

Also hail satan

Yes, I am back(ish)

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:56 pm

The South Falls wrote:I'm still in the church of Jesus Christ. It's a little better.

Jesus was a red. He sacrifices himself, without anyone else's consent, and then like a true extortionist demands you to pay him back because you "owe" him.

Also hail satan

Quite the contrary, Jesus is an eminent capitalist. He has a product that he offers to sell you for the low, low, price of faith and atonement. And you're free to buy it, or not.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:34 pm

The South Falls wrote:I'm still in the church of Jesus Christ. It's a little better.

That's just the government

Muhammad, on the other hand, steals your shit and then demands more.
All shall tremble before me

The New United States
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The New United States » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:57 pm

Yo, pretty sure that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka Mormonism) is the libertarian faith.

>LDS scripture explicitly says the Constitution was inspired by God (D&C 101:80)
>LDS scripture explicitly says that government exists to protect life, liberty, and property (D&C 134:1-2)
>LDS leaders have been openly libertarian and were among the founding members of FEE (Ezra Taft Benson and J Reuben Clark, specifically)
>LDS leaders taught that communism was of the Devil

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:

That's just the government

Muhammad, on the other hand, steals your shit and then demands more.

Didn't he also say words to the effect of "prices rise and fall when God wills them to"?

Autarkheia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Autarkheia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:26 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:Classical liberalism is the copout word for "I have no consistent principles whatsoever.
" or "I use this word to make myself look smart." Essentially Sargon and the rest of the skeptics fall into this camp.

Historically liberals were quite diverse and there was a libertarian attempt to reclaim it after progressives stopped using it. I would say neither camp squarely fits in, as the former was influenced by market anarchism and classical US conservatism and the latter by fabianism and social democracy.
"Classical liberal" is now code for "I'm a conservative but I want to LARP as a centrist because that makes me appear more enlightened".

On a side note, it's a bit weird you describe yourself as a "liberalist" when that's a term Sargon tried to reclaim/make up for his own ideology. Unless it has some other, even more obscure meaning.
Many libertarians adopt very radical beliefs once they discover it, much like people do with religion. This is called the zeal of the convert.
We are free to believe that this is the century of authority, a century tending to the right, a Fascist century. If the XIXth century was the century of the individual (liberalism implies individualism) we are free to believe that this is the "collective" century, and therefore the century of the State.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:38 am

Autarkheia wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:Classical liberalism is the copout word for "I have no consistent principles whatsoever.
" or "I use this word to make myself look smart." Essentially Sargon and the rest of the skeptics fall into this camp.

Historically liberals were quite diverse and there was a libertarian attempt to reclaim it after progressives stopped using it. I would say neither camp squarely fits in, as the former was influenced by market anarchism and classical US conservatism and the latter by fabianism and social democracy.
"Classical liberal" is now code for "I'm a conservative but I want to LARP as a centrist person who actually likes freedom because that makes me appear more enlightened".

ftfy
Autarkheia wrote:Many libertarians adopt very radical beliefs once they discover it, much like people do with religion. This is called the zeal of the convert.

That's every ideology though.
All shall tremble before me

Autarkheia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Autarkheia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:"Classical liberal" is now code for "I'm a conservative but I want to LARP as a centrist person who actually likes freedom because that makes me appear more enlightened".

rekt
That's every ideology though.
True, but I wouldn't say it happens to the same degree with every ideology. Radical ones invite this kind of thinking by default, especially when they have a simple worldview that seems to have all the answers ("it's the gumt regulations!!" "it's the bourgeosie!!").
We are free to believe that this is the century of authority, a century tending to the right, a Fascist century. If the XIXth century was the century of the individual (liberalism implies individualism) we are free to believe that this is the "collective" century, and therefore the century of the State.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:33 pm

Autarkheia wrote:On a side note, it's a bit weird you describe yourself as a "liberalist" when that's a term Sargon tried to reclaim/make up for his own ideology. Unless it has some other, even more obscure meaning.

It's a bit of a LARP, but

http://theliberalists.net/about/

Except the part about Peterson is cringeworthy.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Telconi wrote:

Also hail satan

Quite the contrary, Jesus is an eminent capitalist. He has a product that he offers to sell you for the low, low, price of faith and atonement. And you're free to buy it, or not.

merci beaucoup pour cet exchange

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:14 am

are you enjoying the ride to hell that markets have been taking after one decade of bailouts and easy credit
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:04 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:are you enjoying the ride to hell that markets have been taking after one decade of bailouts and easy credit

One decade?

Dow Jones 12/1/08 - 8149

Dow Jones 11/30/18 - 25538

One real ride to hell the last decade, for sure.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Just found this Reddit post on r/gaming about why capitalism should end:
https://removeddit.com/r/pcgaming/comme ... talism_is/

The comment section has more bullshit than my cousins' cattle farm.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:45 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:Just found this Reddit post on r/gaming about why capitalism should end:
https://removeddit.com/r/pcgaming/comme ... talism_is/

The comment section has more bullshit than my cousins' cattle farm.

Gamer-Americans are being oppressed by capitalism!

Also EA

Yes, I am back(ish)

Autarkheia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Autarkheia » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:53 pm

The final triumph of Marxist-Gamerism will take place and usher in a new age of unrivaled prosperity and freedom. You have nothing to lose but your lag. Gamers of the world, unite!

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Well then

Dunno how much of it is Mother Jone's own brand of leftist sensationalism, but it is funny that they picked it up.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Autarkheia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Autarkheia » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Paradox of tolerance in action. Reddit thinks they're brave free speech absolutists, subreddits get overrun by alt-right dipshits and become toxic cesspools of hate, the mods finally ban them, the userbase cries about m'freeze peach some more, rinse and repeat.

The ancap subreddit is also full of fascists so it was only a matter of time. Also, the pipeline is real.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:14 pm

The pipeline is not real, it is leftist media slander that tries to group in all ideologies that it dislikes with "naziism."

Yes, I am back(ish)

Autarkheia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Autarkheia » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:51 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:The pipeline is not real, it is leftist media slander that tries to group in all ideologies that it dislikes with "naziism."
I've seen alt-righters say themselves that they became alt-right because of the pipeline and the editor of Reason (not exactly a pinko rag) has talked about it. It doesn't imply all libertarians are proto-fascists, but just a lot of prominent alt-righters falsely claim to be libertarian, or once did.

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:06 am

^ @Autharkeia, @Liberated territories.

to previus posters; for this isn t unusual. in my vicinity, and in the place where I live, most profiteers people, whose faith was loyalty to the party that had deal with them.

it was a rather personal and quite reactionnary party and government, they have said for decades them to be classical liberals. it was corruption, using the public treasure.

the nature doesn t see the void as good. if a good glass is half-unfulled, steamy water will flock and fill the half of the glass. there is no a more precious motivation
Last edited by Phoenicaea on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Darussalam
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Darussalam » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:44 am

Autarkheia wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:The pipeline is not real, it is leftist media slander that tries to group in all ideologies that it dislikes with "naziism."
I've seen alt-righters say themselves that they became alt-right because of the pipeline and the editor of Reason (not exactly a pinko rag) has talked about it. It doesn't imply all libertarians are proto-fascists, but just a lot of prominent alt-righters falsely claim to be libertarian, or once did.

Libertarianism used to be a mantle for whites as a reaction for expropriation and exploitation on the behalf of the NAM criminal underclass.The idea that each can keep their own productivity instead of being taxfarmed under parasitic relationship seemed appealing. It has since then evolved among some into "the state for me but not to thee", i.e the alt-right.

At any case, they are a symptom, not the disease.
Last edited by Darussalam on Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Eternal Phantasmagoria
Nation Maintenance
A Lovecraftian (post?-)cyberpunk Galt's Gulch with Arabian Nights aesthetics, posthumanist cults, and occult artificial intellects.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:23 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:Well then

Dunno how much of it is Mother Jone's own brand of leftist sensationalism, but it is funny that they picked it up.

With me being a car guy, Mother Jones doesn't exactly ring "quality journalism" to me, with how they drummed the Pinto case up.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General