NATION

PASSWORD

Libertarian Discussion Thread II - Don't Thread on Me

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is the best libertarian ideology?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Classical liberalism
48%
Minarchism
9%
Anarcho-capitalism
5%
Bakunin's anarchism
8%
Anarcho-syndicalism
17%
Other/Anarcho-statism
14%

Total votes : 66

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:ok retard

In the meanwhile, anyone willing to fite me about my hot take on automation? :^)

if we make the humans part robot we can live on desolate worlds near the galactic core

I'd unironically like to take a week/month-long stay near Sagittarius' black hole
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:if we make the humans part robot we can live on desolate worlds near the galactic core

I'd unironically like to take a week/month-long stay near Sagittarius' black hole

Because it reminds you of your heart you libertarian scum?
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All shall tremble before me

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:I'd unironically like to take a week/month-long stay near Sagittarius' black hole

Because it reminds you of your my mom's heart you libertarian scum?

ftfy
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:Because it reminds you of your my mom's heart you libertarian scum?

ftfy

yeesh, spot on
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Torrocca wrote:Gonna take the weekend to read some Smith, Rothbard, and an assortment of Communist and left-Libertarian works before dropping my new thoughts on right-Libertarianism here, friendos.

ok retard

In the meanwhile, anyone willing to fite me about my hot take on automation? :^)

*** Warned for flaming. ***
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:I'd unironically like to take a week/month-long stay near Sagittarius' black hole

Because it reminds you of your heart you libertarian scum?

Nice.

*** Warned for flaming. ***
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Hawdhanah
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hawdhanah » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol wrote:
Hawdhanah wrote:Many jobs mentioned in that article - delivery, customer service, order fulfilment - are in fact the subjects of replacement.

Technology creates but not at a rate enough to compensate for what was taken. Nowhere near enough. Jobs created decades ago remain very far down on the list in terms of number of people who can rely on it for a living.

Perhaps those that work in delivery, customer service, order fulfillment or whatever could learn new skills to operate the machine and/or software of said technology. You know, rather than slowing down or halting societal progress.

My whole point all along was that there's not enough jobs created from operating or programming said machines, as evident by what has been created a long time ago still not the bulk of the workforce...
Voluntarist Panexousy of Autania
السلطةجَمِيعية طوعية الاحوذانـِيَّة

A Hoppean stateless society
Fallen Britannia wrote:These guys just say liberty then shoot someone.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:03 pm

tfw everyone is ignoring my hot take on automation

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:tfw everyone is ignoring my hot take on automation

Because It's trash

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Should I pick up more literature from Rothbard or Friedman? I can only consume so much Hoppe.
Last edited by Northern Davincia on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:tfw everyone is ignoring my hot take on automation

Then let me say this: are you saying that half of the jobs won't disappear in the US, and that serves as a reason why we won't need some form of welfare, even if it's market-based?

Northern Davincia wrote:Should I pick up more literature from Rothbard or Friedman? I can only consume so much Hoppe.

You got to Fried (yourself) man and get rid of that Roth!
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Hawdhanah wrote:
Perhaps those that work in delivery, customer service, order fulfillment or whatever could learn new skills to operate the machine and/or software of said technology. You know, rather than slowing down or halting societal progress.

My whole point all along was that there's not enough jobs created from operating or programming said machines, as evident by what has been created a long time ago still not the bulk of the workforce...

Perhaps this will encourage people not to rely on low or no skilled jobs, and encourage them to improve their skills? To put an halt to automation would putting on halt on human and societal progress. Humans have been using technology forever, and making advancements in technology ever since we have been able too.
Officially retired as of 8/10/2018. Don’t bother sending TG’s since I’m not coming back.

Isilanka
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 13, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Isilanka » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:17 am

Hawdhanah wrote:My whole point all along was that there's not enough jobs created from operating or programming said machines, as evident by what has been created a long time ago still not the bulk of the workforce...

Perhaps this will encourage people not to rely on low or no skilled jobs, and encourage them to improve their skills? To put an halt to automation would putting on halt on human and societal progress. Humans have been using technology forever, and making advancements in technology ever since we have been able too.

In that case you need to help them get a better access to education as well. Most people who do low-skilled jobs don't do them because they're lazy idiots who could do better but because they couldn't get the education to do something else, or because they can't find a job suited to their education.

I don't think it's a mere coincidence if major technological advancements in industry and manufacturing in the 19th and th century have almost always been correlated with improvements in public education and the education system as a whole. Saying "we need more qualified people" or "people will seek more qualified jobs" also implies that you give them the means to acess higher education in the first place.
Pagan, slightly matriarchal nation with near future technology. Northern-european inspired culture in the north, arabic-inspired in the south. Liberal, left-leaning, high-tech environmentalist nation.
Uses most NS stats.

Native of The Pacific. Usually non-aligned. Make of that what you will.

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:24 am

Isilanka wrote:

In that case you need to help them get a better access to education as well. Most people who do low-skilled jobs don't do them because they're lazy idiots who could do better but because they couldn't get the education to do something else, or because they can't find a job suited to their education.

I don't think it's a mere coincidence if major technological advancements in industry and manufacturing in the 19th and th century have almost always been correlated with improvements in public education and the education system as a whole. Saying "we need more qualified people" or "people will seek more qualified jobs" also implies that you give them the means to acess higher education in the first place.

There are certainly regional differences, but here in Western NY there are at least two Universities, three four-year colleges, three 2-year public colleges and 3 private 2-year ones (that I can think of) all within a 50 mile radius. The problem is, if one spends one's high school years dividing one's time between pursuing the opposite sex (or the same one) and finding a new drug dealer to try out, one is not going to qualify for the higher education opportunities available. This, coupled with an educational system that explicitly states that a student cannot be held back a grade if he or she is incapable of doing the work, is one of the, if not the most, important reasons why people do not get the education to get high-skilled jobs.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 am

Zurkerx wrote:Then let me say this: are you saying that half of the jobs won't disappear in the US, and that serves as a reason why we won't need some form of welfare, even if it's market-based?

Such jobs may likely disappear, but this doesn't mean that there won't be an equally massive job creation. By the contrary. On the other hand, job changes have become more and more consistent over the time, so I doubt any significant impact at all. Precedent behavior justifies the same future behavior until there's a break in the pattern.
Last edited by Great Minarchistan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:18 am

Zurkerx wrote:Then let me say this: are you saying that half of the jobs won't disappear in the US, and that serves as a reason why we won't need some form of welfare, even if it's market-based?

Such jobs may likely disappear, but this doesn't mean that there won't be an equally massive job creation. By the contrary. On the other hand, job changes have become more and more consistent over the time, so I doubt any significant impact at all. Precedent behavior justifies the same future behavior until there's a break in the pattern.

And I agree, so we're pretty much on the same page.

"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:05 pm

Will Gen Z save America?
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:17 am

Fellow Libertarian Champions,

To bring greater awareness to our ideals, our friend Great Minarchistan, set up a Discord channel a while back. I have made a signature for everyone to put in although, you are free to modify it.

Code: Select all
[b][background=#FFBF00][color=#000000]Looking for a Libertarian Community?[/color][/background] [url=https://discordapp.com/invite/qvjB7nw]Join The Libertarian Discord[/url][/b]

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Zurkerx wrote:Fellow Libertarian Champions,

To bring greater awareness to our ideals, our friend Great Minarchistan, set up a Discord channel a while back. I have made a signature for everyone to put in although, you are free to modify it.

[b][background=#FFBF00][color=#000000]Looking for a Libertarian Community?[/color][/background] [url=https://discordapp.com/invite/qvjB7nw]Join The Libertarian Discord[/url][/b]

Based!

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Zurkerx wrote:Fellow Libertarian Champions,

freedom and liberty are the only rewards that a true american should strive for.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Will Gen Z save America?

You mean the the generation that are make it so the only two choices are the alt-right and Antifa? Noooo, thank you.
Officially retired as of 8/10/2018. Don’t bother sending TG’s since I’m not coming back.

Firaxin
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Firaxin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Will Gen Z save America?

You mean the the generation that are make it so the only two choices are the alt-right and Antifa? Noooo, thank you.

HEY! That was the millenials.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Why aren't recreational nukes on the poll? I feel insulted.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Firaxin wrote:

HEY! That was the millenials.

As a member of Gen Z I can tell you it's all the same shit in a pot.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Firaxin wrote:HEY! That was the millenials.

As a member of Gen Z I can tell you it's all the same shit in a pot.

And this is why I love gen X. ;)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General