NATION

PASSWORD

Ranking Books - Voting VS Donating

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which books match your preferences?

12 Rules For Life
4%
50 Shades of Grey
4%
A Theory of Justice
5%
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
16%
Principia
6%
The Bible
14%
The Cat in the Hat
13%
The Origin Of Species
14%
The Wealth of Nations
13%
War and Peace
12%

Total votes : 502

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Gallo's communications are much better attested than yours are.

What do you mean?

We have a long history of communications with Gallo's, all of which is in a consistent style that's clearly different to Gallo's own. With yours, we have precisely one message supposedly from him, written in a style fairly similar to yours, with no evidence whatsoever that you didn't write it.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:49 pm

I made a donation of $5 dollars...

Wealth of Nations: $5 dollars
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Xerographica wrote:What do you mean?

We have a long history of communications with Gallo's, all of which is in a consistent style that's clearly different to Gallo's own. With yours, we have precisely one message supposedly from him, written in a style fairly similar to yours, with no evidence whatsoever that you didn't write it.

If you don't believe me then all you have to do is e-mail the professor yourself.
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Xerographica wrote:I made a donation of $5 dollars...

Fucking seriously? Not only do you create a bizarre experiment with an entirely subjective metric, not only do you participate in it yourself, but then, THEN, when others do participate, you throw in more money? This undermines everything. If you're donating $5 now, why didn't you donate $7 in the first place? Has your esteem for the Wealth of Nations more than tripled since yesterday?

Of course not. You're just turning this into a bidding war for your own pet theory. And yet you dare to claim you're trying to conduct an experiment, as if you're actually seeking truth.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Anywhere Else But Here wrote:

Fucking seriously? Not only do you create a bizarre experiment with an entirely subjective metric, not only do you participate in it yourself, but then, THEN, when others do participate, you throw in more money? This undermines everything. If you're donating $5 now, why didn't you donate $7 in the first place? Has your esteem for the Wealth of Nations more than tripled since yesterday?

Of course not. You're just turning this into a bidding war for your own pet theory. And yet you dare to claim you're trying to conduct an experiment, as if you're actually seeking truth.

Let's be honest. Did you expect anything different?
Last edited by Galloism on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

If you don't believe me then all you have to do is e-mail the professor yourself.

Who will naturally refuse to tell me who he has and hasn't been communicating with.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Xerographica wrote:If you don't believe me then all you have to do is e-mail the professor yourself.

Who will naturally refuse to tell me who he has and hasn't been communicating with.

Maybe. So just ask him for his thoughts on using voting and donating to rank things.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
I didn't. Now pony up to the fact that you're wrong.

If you didn't make it up, then link to the professor's page.

Here you go.

Now pony up and admit you are wrong.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:20 pm

Galloism wrote:
Anywhere Else But Here wrote:Fucking seriously? Not only do you create a bizarre experiment with an entirely subjective metric, not only do you participate in it yourself, but then, THEN, when others do participate, you throw in more money? This undermines everything. If you're donating $5 now, why didn't you donate $7 in the first place? Has your esteem for the Wealth of Nations more than tripled since yesterday?

Let's be honest. Did you expect anything different?

I...well...but...so blatant and...

Yeah, no. I should have predicted this.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Galloism wrote:Let's be honest. Did you expect anything different?

I...well...but...so blatant and...

Yeah, no. I should have predicted this.

You really should have. But you did ask an interesting question.

So, I put it back to you Xero, why did your valuation of Wealth of Nations more than triple in the last two days?
Last edited by Galloism on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Getting on Xero's case for this is actually kind of unfair, which is something you won't hear me say twice.
The whole structure of this is that it's a bidding war on ranking. It's arguably even less useful (and that's saying something) if one can't donate multiple times.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:28 pm

I made a second donation of 5 dollars.

I wish to put it all on 50 Shades of Grey again.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Kubra wrote:Getting on Xero's case for this is actually kind of unfair, which is something you won't hear me say twice.
The whole structure of this is that it's a bidding war on ranking. It's arguably even less useful (and that's saying something) if one can't donate multiple times.

No, actually, it's not.

Because here's the thing. Xero has argued that his system will reveal preference strength, something that voters will not do, because bidders will bid their valuation. According to Xero, we must reveal our valuations or we're not giving the "truth", and this is detrimental. Yet, it doesn't appear that Xero has bid his valuation, at least not consistently.

Because if his original bid, $2, was his valuation, then he's not bid OVER his valuation and is lying about his valuation of the book now that he's bid $7 - hiding his preference strength. If his valuation really is $7, then his first bid was therefore a lie when he only bid $2 and he was hiding his preference strength.

Alternatively, he might have discovered some nugget of wisdom in Wealth of Nations that has more than tripled his valuation in two days.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Galloism wrote:
Kubra wrote:Getting on Xero's case for this is actually kind of unfair, which is something you won't hear me say twice.

No, actually, it's not.

Because here's the thing. Xero has argued that his system will reveal preference strength, something that voters will not do, because bidders will bid their valuation. According to Xero, we must reveal our valuations or we're not giving the "truth", and this is detrimental. Yet, it doesn't appear that Xero has bid his valuation, at least not consistently.

Because if his original bid, $2, was his valuation, then he's not bid OVER his valuation and is lying about his valuation of the book now that he's bid $7 - hiding his preference strength. If his valuation really is $7, then his first bid was therefore a lie when he only bid $2 and he was hiding his preference strength.

Alternatively, he might have discovered some nugget of wisdom in Wealth of Nations that has more than tripled his valuation in two days.
The thing is that where it's a ranking system valuation is comparative: I think such and so is better than such and so title, so I must value it higher to keep pace with the valuation of the other title. Prices are dynamic, and the value of something to you is often affected by how others value it. It's allocation the way it's supposed to go.
And besides, being able to donate more means that 50 shades of grey, a landmark work of 21st century metamodernism, is well on its way to the top spot.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Kubra wrote:
Galloism wrote:No, actually, it's not.

The thing is that where it's a ranking system valuation is comparative: I think such and so is better than such and so title, so I must value it higher to keep pace with the valuation of the other title. Prices are dynamic, and the value of something to you is often affected by how others value it. It's allocation the way it's supposed to go.
And besides, being able to donate more means that 50 shades of grey, a landmark work of 21st century metamodernism, is well on its way to the top spot.

Which then proves me right, since one of my criticisms of Xero's hypothesis is that it is merely a glorified system of gambling, which he also has denied.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Kubra wrote:

Which then means Xero needs to explain why his valuation tripled in two days.

It's a landmark of something.

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:45 pm

It was always supposed to be a bidding war. I'm not exactly sure why you assumed otherwise. Admittedly, perhaps I never explicitly stated that it's supposed to be a bidding war. But everybody knows that it's a fundraiser. Why in the world would it make sense to limit donations?

Several times I've shared the results from the libertarian party's fundraiser...

$6,327.00 — I’m That Libertarian!
$5,200.00 — Building Bridges, Not Walls
$1,620.00 — Pro Choice on Everything
$1,377.77 — Empowering the Individual
$395.00 — The Power of Principle
$150.00 — Future of Freedom
$135.00 — Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
$105.00 — Rise of the Libertarians
$75.00 — Free Lives Matter
$42.00 — Be Me, Be Free
$17.76 — Make Taxation Theft Again
$15.42 — Taxation is Theft
$15.00 — Jazzed About Liberty
$15.00 — All of Your Freedoms, All of the Time
$5.00 — Am I Being Detained!
$5.00 — Liberty Here and Now

It should be self-evident that donors were permitted to make unlimited donations for their preferred convention themes.

Yesterday all it took was $2 dollars to put The Wealth of Nations in first place. Then it dropped to second place when $12 dollars was put on War and Peace. Obviously this didn't bother me enough to make another donation for the Wealth of Nations. It was a different story though when $5 dollars was put on 50 Shades of Grey. Clearly it was worth it for me to donate $5 dollars to put the Wealth of Nations back in second place.

Does this make the experiment unrealistic? The point of the experiment is to determine whether voting or donating is better at ranking things. From my perspective, the experiment would be far less realistic if participants could only make one donation.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Kubra wrote:

Xero's core claim is that it isn't comparative: in particular, he claims that you should pay some static maximum amount that you are willing to pay in all circumstances, even and especially when cheaper options are available.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Anywhere Else But Here wrote:Fucking seriously? Not only do you create a bizarre experiment with an entirely subjective metric, not only do you participate in it yourself, but then, THEN, when others do participate, you throw in more money? This undermines everything. If you're donating $5 now, why didn't you donate $7 in the first place? Has your esteem for the Wealth of Nations more than tripled since yesterday?

It was always supposed to be a bidding war. I'm not exactly sure why you assumed otherwise. Admittedly, perhaps I never explicitly stated that it's supposed to be a bidding war. But everybody knows that it's a fundraiser. Why in the world would it make sense to limit donations?

Several times I've shared the results from the libertarian party's fundraiser...

$42.00 — Be Me, Be Free

It should be self-evident that donors were permitted to make unlimited donations for their preferred convention themes.

Yesterday all it took was $2 dollars to put The Wealth of Nations in first place. Then it dropped to second place when $12 dollars was put on War and Peace. Obviously this didn't bother me enough to make another donation for the Wealth of Nations. It was a different story though when $5 dollars was put on 50 Shades of Grey. Clearly it was worth it for me to donate $5 dollars to put the Wealth of Nations back in second place.

Does this make the experiment unrealistic? The point of the experiment is to determine whether voting or donating is better at ranking things. From my perspective, the experiment would be far less realistic if participants could only make one donation.

So your entire system is a glorified gambling scheme and therefore I was right when I addressed it as such?

Just want to make sure that you are finally conceding to my point.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Xerographica wrote:

$42.00 — Be Me, Be Free

Ah, so your system doesn't reveal what you said it would reveal. You claimed that your system would reveal people's "true valuations" of things. By your own admission, it doesn't: it reveals that someone was willing to pay slightly more than the most someone else was willing to pay, but gives zero information about how much more than that they would be willing to pay.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Xerographica
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xerographica » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:I made a second donation of 5 dollars.

If you made a second donation, then why doesn't it show it on your Nation page?

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Kubra wrote: The thing is that where it's a ranking system valuation is comparative: I think such and so is better than such and so title, so I must value it higher to keep pace with the valuation of the other title. Prices are dynamic, and the value of something to you is often affected by how others value it. It's allocation the way it's supposed to go.

Which then proves me right, since one of my criticisms of Xero's hypothesis is that it is merely a glorified system of gambling, which he also has denied.
Well, depends how you define it. By that measure any auction is a form of gambling. Not that I would disagree with that assertion, of course.

Galloism wrote:
Kubra wrote: The thing is that where it's a ranking system valuation is comparative: I think such and so is better than such and so title, so I must value it higher to keep pace with the valuation of the other title. Prices are dynamic, and the value of something to you is often affected by how others value it. It's allocation the way it's supposed to go.

Which then means Xero needs to explain why his valuation tripled in two days.

It's a landmark of something.
Simple: because the valuation of other options went up. You're not paying for the valuation of a work, but for its comparative ranking: if you value the top spot, you gotta put your money down for it a few times.

great for cucumber sales mirite or mirite

Salandriagado wrote:

Xero's core claim is that it isn't comparative: in particular, he claims that you should pay some static maximum amount that you are willing to pay in all circumstances, even and especially when cheaper options are available.
Well I'm doing him a favour then, aren't I? It seems I'm the top economist now, boyo's.
Comrade J. Posadas

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Xerographica wrote:It was always supposed to be a bidding war. I'm not exactly sure why you assumed otherwise. Admittedly, perhaps I never explicitly stated that it's supposed to be a bidding war. But everybody knows that it's a fundraiser. Why in the world would it make sense to limit donations?

$42.00 — Be Me, Be Free

Ah, so your system doesn't reveal what you said it would reveal. You claimed that your system would reveal people's "true valuations" of things. By your own admission, it doesn't: it reveals that someone was willing to pay slightly more than the most someone else was willing to pay, but gives zero information about how much more than that they would be willing to pay.

It's a false valuation, and here's the catch: I can keep donating 5 dollar amounts all day to NS. I have enough money to donate to NS and leave Xero biting dust, not only that but the only reason I am doing it is because I know it is the least favorite book of Xero, so I'm just doing it just because I can and I have the money to do it, not because I truly value 50 shades of grey more than its retail value.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Xerographica wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:I made a second donation of 5 dollars.

If you made a second donation, then why doesn't it show it on your Nation page?

Because I bought telegram stamps.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

It's a false valuation, and here's the catch: I can keep donating 5 dollar amounts all day to NS. I have enough money to donate to NS and leave Xero biting dust, not only that but the only reason I am doing it is because I know it is the least favorite book of Xero, so I'm just doing it just because I can and I have the money to do it, not because I truly value 50 shades of grey more than its retail value.
heyoo page one called it
the deciding votes will be those made just to spite xero
Comrade J. Posadas

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General