NATION

PASSWORD

SCOTUS Sides With Baker in LGBT Wedding Cake Case

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Telconi wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
This wasn't turnabout, love or war, it's just hypocrisy.

Well it wasn't love.

Or war. Or Turnabout.

Just you being a hypocrite.

I want an apology for that liar remark btw.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:07 pm

YES!

OH MY GOD!

FREEDOM OF CONTRACT PREVAILED!

(sorry for the caps, I cannot contain my absolute excitement and elation)

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:15 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Well it wasn't love.

Or war. Or Turnabout.

Just you being a hypocrite.

I want an apology for that liar remark btw.

No it was definitely the other two.

Good for you.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Right wing humour squad
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:YES!

OH MY GOD!

Dude go reread it.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

Dagnia
Senator

Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagnia » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Even as a gay man who hopes to marry some day, I was strongly in favor of the baker. Legally, I never thought the plaintiff had much ground to stand on. It's not like that Kentucky marriage license clerk, who rightfully went to jail, thinking she could legislate something from her desk and deny people a right that was already the law of the land. This is a private business that produces a certain range of goods and services, and gay wedding cakes were not on that list. Also, unless this is a major chain of bakeries, I think it's safe to say they have fewer than the number of employees usually required to be subject to any kind of discrimination law at all.
The biggest reason I'm happy about the decision is that otherwise this opens the door to either forcing any business to serve or produce products for anyone who asks, or simplifying things by creating a few protected classes of people that you can't discriminate against. If it's the former, I myself may be required to perform services for the KKK or Westboro Baptist Church against my will to accommodate their religious or social beliefs, and if it's the latter, you've just done more to kill the dream of equality than any religious nut could ever hope to.
And either way, if I'm shopping for cakes, I want to know that this person is totally willing and happy to make that cake. I need to be sure that the minute I say it should have two grooms as the top decoration, they don't just smile politely while hiding their resentment that they no longer feel they can even voice and in the process of making it give it a special ingredient or two, which is what I would certainly do if I were forced to make any food item for something that violated my conscience. I want them to say no so I can find someone who likes making gay wedding cakes.
Wait an hour, and it will be now again

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Right wing humour squad wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:YES!

OH MY GOD!

Dude go reread it.

that wasn't the court's reasoning but the practical effect will be in favour of the principle nevertheless

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Odinburgh wrote:I disagree with the decision as it will just only empower the bigots in the US. Yeah they have the right to refuse but it's also discrimination. I am not surprised as SCOTUS is a Republican controlled supreme court would rule this way. It's one more step towards total dictatorship under Trump which liberal voices and rights of all people don't really matter except bigots and wealthy people.

Fear me!
Korwin-Mikke 2020
Տխերք հավակեկ բոզերա. Կոոնել կոոնելով Արաչ ենկ երտոոմ մինչեվ Բակու

16 year old Monarchist from Rhode Island. Interested in economics, governance, metaphysical philosophy, European + Near Eastern history, vexillology, faith, hunting, automotive, ranching, science fiction, music, and anime.

Pro: Absolute Monarchy, Lex Rex, Subsidiarity, Guild Capitalism, Property Rights, Tridentine Catholicism, Unlimited Gun Rights, Hierarchy, Traditionalism, Ethnic Nationalism, Irredentism
Mixed: Fascism, Anarcho Capitalism, Donald Trump
Against: Democracy/ Democratic Republicanism, Egalitarianism, Direct Taxation, Cultural Marxism, Redistribution of Wealth

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:that wasn't the court's reasoning but the practical effect will be in favour of the principle nevertheless

Not in the slightest, you clearly haven't read the opinion in full.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:51 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:that wasn't the court's reasoning but the practical effect will be in favour of the principle nevertheless

Not in the slightest, you clearly haven't read the opinion in full.

I have not read it in full but I did read the linked article in full.

I don't so much care about the court's actual justification or its qualification that this is just a "narrow application" and not a "broader decision"... that's just typical political verbiage.

The practical effect, is that now companies have more room to tailor their goods and services... such that they can control the types of contracts they want to or don't want to enter into. For instance in this case, a cake baker can avoid baking cakes for groups he doesn't want to do business with (as he should have the right to in a society with freedom of contract) by specifying the TYPES of services he provides/doesn't provide. It creates a definitional tool (defining the services/goods you are producing) to control and influence who you will be doing business with and without.

Argentinstan
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentinstan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:53 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Argentinstan wrote:Surprisingly I don't know what to think of the ruling.

While I believe that the case is similar in the way to adoption agencies (religious) refusing to handle the cases of gay or LGBT couples because of the views, I don't support that. So I don't support this ruling in that way.

However the couple, in this case, should have the right to carry out their daily business without being harassed and be treated the same as other Americans, their rights under the law.

And also, in this case, this was in Colorado which allows same-sex marriage. I believe circumstances would be different in a state that prohibits same-sex marriage.

Regardless, this is a conflicting issue. I don't know what you all think but I am leaning to siding with the couple here.

It always gets complex when the wishes and rights of different groups in society directly clash. Sure, if certain people have the means to buy a product, they should be able to do so. However, a salesman has no obligation to sell something either. Gay people have a right not to be discriminated against, but artisans shouldn't be compelled to craft something that they don't want to either. It is one of those situations where nobody wins.

Agreed. This case ultimately comes down to how well each side argues their case...morale can be sent either way, making it ineffective in this situation.
A United Nations of Earthlings member state. Former Prime Minister.
Embassy Program l Bank of the Atlantic l Air Argentine l Argentinstan City Int'l Airport l Guide to Storefronts l Issues l City/County/State/Territory Websites
Telegram Me

Argentinstan is a constitutional monarchy representative democracy led by King Menem III and President Elijah Turner.

Right wing humour squad
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:53 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:Not in the slightest, you clearly haven't read the opinion in full.

I don't so much care about the court's actual justification or its qualification that this is just a "narrow application" and not a "broader decision"... that's just typical political verbiage.

The practical effect, is that now companies have more room to tailor their goods and services... such that they can control the types of contracts they want to or don't want to enter into. For instance in this case, a cake baker can avoid baking cakes for groups he doesn't want to do business with (as he should have the right to in a society with freedom of contract) by specifying the TYPES of services he provides/doesn't provide. It creates a definitional tool (defining the services/goods you are producing) to control and influence who you will be doing business with and without.

Nope. Go reread. This is a judgement against anti religious bigotry by anti discrimination bodies. Not the desperately needed freedom of contract.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:54 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:The practical effect, is that now companies have more room to tailor their goods and services... such that they can control the types of contracts they want to or don't want to enter into.

I thought the court merely sided with the baker because the people that investigated the case were condenscending jerks - and made no statement on it being right or wrong that he refused to sell ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:58 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:The practical effect, is that now companies have more room to tailor their goods and services... such that they can control the types of contracts they want to or don't want to enter into.

I thought the court merely sided with the baker because the people that investigated the case were condenscending jerks - and made no statement on it being right or wrong that he refused to sell ?

That's correct. The functional decision here was on rather he received a fair shake before the law.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:00 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Nope. Go reread. This is a judgement against anti religious bigotry by anti discrimination bodies. Not the desperately needed freedom of contract.

I'm talking about the practical results of the decision, not the exact language used to justify the decision.

If a decision sets the world on fire... I would be talking about how it sets the world on fire. What the decision explicitly says, doesn't say, doesn't concern me. This isn't some LSAT reading comp multiple choice where you can only frame your answers in terms of what's explicitly spelled out.

Right wing humour squad
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:01 pm

What I’d really like to know is if this judgement can be used as an example later on of anti-religious bigotry in government. Because that would have some useful and interesting repercussions.

Tip of the wedge into removing anti discrimination laws.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.

Rashidi Jabal Shammar
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rashidi Jabal Shammar » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:06 pm

What's the difference between this and a painter?

I'm sure that a religious painter has a right to refuse service if asked to create a piece mocking their religion. Ditto the baker.
Russian Nationalist, Orthodox Christian, Eurasianist

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:10 pm

Rashidi Jabal Shammar wrote:What's the difference between this and a painter?

I'm sure that a religious painter has a right to refuse service if asked to create a piece mocking their religion. Ditto the baker.

The cake requested did not mock the baker's religion.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Rashidi Jabal Shammar
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rashidi Jabal Shammar » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Rashidi Jabal Shammar wrote:What's the difference between this and a painter?

The cake requested did not mock the baker's religion.

No it didn't. But my point stands.

I can simply change the example to a painter being asked to paint something that they oppose, for example, a Jewish painter asked to paint anti-Semitic propaganda. The painter has the right to refuse, so should the baker. He shouldn't be forced to create art.
Russian Nationalist, Orthodox Christian, Eurasianist

Balnik
Envoy

Founded: Mar 10, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Balnik » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Huzzah huzzah! I can totally see where the supreme court is coming from. I think they totally made the right decision in this case with siding with the baker.
Literal Nationalist

Oilworker & Albertan Proud

Balnik
Envoy

Founded: Mar 10, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Balnik » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Rashidi Jabal Shammar wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:The cake requested did not mock the baker's religion.

I can simply change the example to a painter being asked to paint something that they oppose, for example, a Jewish painter asked to paint anti-Semitic propaganda. The painter has the right to refuse, so should the baker. He shouldn't be forced to create art.

I think that is a bit outlandish of an example but I can see where you are coming from. Homosexuality is considered sinful, And sin is the direct antagonist to the ethics and morals of Christianity. Thus corroborating with "Sinners" to make a cake celebrating said "sin" would be a rude gesture to the baker.
Literal Nationalist

Oilworker & Albertan Proud

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Rashidi Jabal Shammar wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:The cake requested did not mock the baker's religion.

You're entitled to your opinion. The Court ruled that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission demonstrated an anti-religious bias in making the their ruling. End of story. Trying to read anything else into it is a mistake. And an artist is rather different than a retail bakery.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Right wing humour squad
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Rashidi Jabal Shammar wrote:No it didn't. But my point stands.

You're entitled to your opinion. The Court ruled that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission demonstrated an anti-religious bias in making the their ruling. End of story. Trying to read anything else into it is a mistake. And an artist is rather different than a retail bakery.

That last sentence is solely under the discretion of the baker.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

I'm talking about the practical results of the decision, not the exact language used to justify the decision.

The practical result is "do not be biased if you want a court to uphold your ruling".

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Farnhamia wrote:You're entitled to your opinion. The Court ruled that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission demonstrated an anti-religious bias in making the their ruling. End of story. Trying to read anything else into it is a mistake. And an artist is rather different than a retail bakery.

Sez you, which is your right.

I think you want "mouth off" instead of "mouth of" in your signature, by the way.

Right wing humour squad
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Sez you, which is your right.

I think you want "mouth off" instead of "mouth of" in your signature, by the way.

Well unless you want a government mandated list of artists and we’ve all seen enough xmen to know how apocalyptic that’s going to go.

Roger.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General