NATION

PASSWORD

GUN TALK: Doubletap

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite intermediate cartridge?

5.56 NATO
45%
6%
7.62x39
22%
.30 Carbine
7%
.30-30 WCF
5%
Other
16%

Total votes : 281

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Len Hyet wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:looks like its time to get a bigger job and move out. my dad insists on being the only gun owner in the house. So basically now the only reason he votes republican is because he's bigoted it seems.

I'm sorry to hear that.

On the plus side now you can get an apartment, pop in a gun safe, and start collecting.

Problems are: I won't rent. No idea where to move to. Won't be able to keep the car. No guarantee of a quality job that isn't torture. Not enough money.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Democratic Exodian Territories
Minister

Founded: Aug 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Exodian Territories » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:(Image)

about ~10 minutes with a dremel to make these adulterations:
(Image)(Image)

It fits fine and flush with the AR-18's internal feed lips, and still engages with the AR-15's mag catch. Will have to take to the range this weekend to see how it feeds.

nice.
An early-PMT island-archipelago nation in the Gulf of Mexico with right-libertarian and neoconservative tendencies. Born on memes and guns by the British and Spanish but built for something deeper.
_[ ]_
(-_Q)
Only NS official Policy, Government, Economy stats used
FACTBOOKS ARE NOT CANON. Most forum posts are.
Angel's Alliance Founder.
#comeandtakeit
RBC News Channel, brought to you by Sapphire Systems Ltd:
| US President MacArthur doubles down on internal corruption | Aid sent to Nicaragua after Tropical Storm Marta | Stocks down 2 points |

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Took it to the range last week, it doesnt feed at all. The rounds push the magazine lower than just the follower.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:Took it to the range last week, it doesnt feed at all. The rounds push the magazine lower than just the follower.
Feed issues are the worst, I spent hours on my wife's carbine with a Dremel so it feeds correctly.
Last edited by Telconi on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:Took it to the range last week, it doesnt feed at all. The rounds push the magazine lower than just the follower.

So you're saying you needed to cut the notch for the mag-catch a bit lower than anticipated?

Lessons learned: Dremmel-test with dummy rounds, or in a super-clean situation and a firing-pin free bolt.

However, if feed/cycle testing ammunition through a questionably dremmelled P-mag... make sure the ammunition matches the chamber.
-Getting a 5.45 stuck in a 5.56 can be embarrassing. (and frustrating to fix)
-Getting a .300 BLK chambered is just plain dangerous.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:(Image)

about ~10 minutes with a dremel to make these adulterations:
(Image)(Image)

It fits fine and flush with the AR-18's internal feed lips, and still engages with the AR-15's mag catch. Will have to take to the range this weekend to see how it feeds.

*Tiocfaidh ár lá Intensifies*
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:07 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:

So you're saying you needed to cut the notch for the mag-catch a bit lower than anticipated?

Lessons learned: Dremmel-test with dummy rounds, or in a super-clean situation and a firing-pin free bolt.

However, if feed/cycle testing ammunition through a questionably dremmelled P-mag... make sure the ammunition matches the chamber.

A bit higher. The notch is too low with rounds in, not too high.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Is what happens when you tamper with rifle.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:03 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:
Hurtful Thoughts wrote:So you're saying you needed to cut the notch for the mag-catch a bit lower than anticipated?

A bit higher. The notch is too low with rounds in, not too high.

So why not just extend the notch?

You may lose positive control of the mag (can become over-seated) but that can be fixed by taping around the magwell edge. Future P-mag mods can have the notch properly located.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Taihei Tengoku wrote:A bit higher. The notch is too low with rounds in, not too high.

That's what I'm going to do once I get my hands on a suitable file--file the top edge upwards maybe by a millimeter.
REST IN POWER
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:
Hurtful Thoughts wrote:

That's what I'm going to do once I get my hands on a suitable file--file the top edge upwards maybe by a millimeter.

Diamond deburring tool.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:35 pm

I think the burr I have is too large for the slot provided.
Last edited by Taihei Tengoku on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REST IN POWER
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Anyone here familiar with the good old SA80?
The Wielderdom of Hrythingia
Þæs Ƿealdaríċe Hrýðinglondes

State type: Semi-Elective Monarchy
Leader: Earl Wynmar II of The Ashwold, Hrythwealda
Capital: Ernburh
Language: Hrystic (Old English)
Religion: Catholicism
Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Industries: sheep/beef agriculture, fishing, offshore oil, financial services
Britonnis nati, Anglis Dei Gratia! A Catholic Conservative Briton, Late Antiquities Student and Reservist Officer in training. Interests: hunting, rugby, choral music, history, literature, linguistics and alcohol.

Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad, Roddi i mi galon lân.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:39 pm

It's like my AR-18, but worse
REST IN POWER
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:39 pm

Hrythingia wrote:Anyone here familiar with the good old SA80?

What about that piece of crap?
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Len Hyet wrote:
Hrythingia wrote:Anyone here familiar with the good old SA80?

What about that piece of crap?

Ho ho just wondering. As my standard issue I was wondering what people thought about it here. Can be rather pestly but I haven't used any other automatic weapon so I have nothing else to go by really.

Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Britonnis nati, Anglis Dei Gratia! A Catholic Conservative Briton, Late Antiquities Student and Reservist Officer in training. Interests: hunting, rugby, choral music, history, literature, linguistics and alcohol.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Postby Len Hyet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Hrythingia wrote:
Len Hyet wrote:What about that piece of crap?

Ho ho just wondering. As my standard issue I was wondering what people thought about it here. Can be rather pestly but I haven't used any other automatic weapon so I have nothing else to go by really.

To be completely fair the A2 fixed almost all of the A1's problems, but didn't fix the inferiority of the bullpup design.
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Len Hyet wrote:
Hrythingia wrote:Ho ho just wondering. As my standard issue I was wondering what people thought about it here. Can be rather pestly but I haven't used any other automatic weapon so I have nothing else to go by really.

To be completely fair the A2 fixed almost all of the A1's problems, but didn't fix the inferiority of the bullpup design.

I don't mind the bullpup too much really, it would feel weird for me to have the magazine further forward. It does seem to jam a lot, even when I take extra care to make sure that it won't (which is harder than one thinks when on exercise and you're sprinting from a to b and hitting the forest floor covered in pine needles and all sorts of other lovely things).

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Postby Len Hyet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:48 pm

Hrythingia wrote:
Len Hyet wrote:To be completely fair the A2 fixed almost all of the A1's problems, but didn't fix the inferiority of the bullpup design.

I don't mind the bullpup too much really, it would feel weird for me to have the magazine further forward. It does seem to jam a lot, even when I take extra care to make sure that it won't (which is harder than one thinks when on exercise and you're sprinting from a to b and hitting the forest floor covered in pine needles and all sorts of other lovely things).

Well to each their own. I regularly commit Gun Heresy by saying I don't care for Glocks.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:49 pm

It fires a round really close to the point of aim almost every time when you pull the trigger. That said it's a less elegant, sophisticated, or well-executed design than almost every other bullpup rifle.
REST IN POWER
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:It fires a round really close to the point of aim almost every time when you pull the trigger. That said it's a less elegant, sophisticated, or well-executed design than almost every other bullpup rifle.

Well yes it is rather good to get a good grouping with it on the target range.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Hrythingia wrote:
Len Hyet wrote:To be completely fair the A2 fixed almost all of the A1's problems, but didn't fix the inferiority of the bullpup design.

If you have a blank firing adapter on expect your gun to run like a bolt action. The only thing I've found to work reliably with a BFA on is an M240.
REST IN POWER
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:
Hrythingia wrote:I don't mind the bullpup too much really, it would feel weird for me to have the magazine further forward. It does seem to jam a lot, even when I take extra care to make sure that it won't (which is harder than one thinks when on exercise and you're sprinting from a to b and hitting the forest floor covered in pine needles and all sorts of other lovely things).

If you have a blank firing adapter on expect your gun to run like a bolt action. The only thing I've found to work reliably with a BFA on is an M240.

I usually fire it on exercise with a BFA yes. Also bloody hell, the amount of mess blanks make in the working parts comapared to live rounds is ridiculous. Especially when the colour sergeant wants them sparkly silver for inspection. :(

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:13 am

Len Hyet wrote:
Hrythingia wrote:I don't mind the bullpup too much really, it would feel weird for me to have the magazine further forward. It does seem to jam a lot, even when I take extra care to make sure that it won't (which is harder than one thinks when on exercise and you're sprinting from a to b and hitting the forest floor covered in pine needles and all sorts of other lovely things).

Well to each their own. I regularly commit Gun Heresy by saying I don't care for Glocks.

I'm not a fan of them either.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Hrythingia wrote:
Len Hyet wrote:What about that piece of crap?

Functionality-wise, it works.

Ergonomicly, it's a very distinctly British mess.
-The considerations the designers gave no cares about, they gave absolutely no cares.
-So it prob sucks if you're a lefty or not sized like what a normal person was back in 1982.

The other bits were how well the furniture stays on the gun, and what other corners the unionized workers took when they were told they'd be fired regardless of how well they put the rifles together.

Later reworks with better sourced internal components tended to fix most problems... although the stock probably still tends to dissassemble itself at poor times.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General