NATION

PASSWORD

GUN TALK: Doubletap

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite intermediate cartridge?

5.56 NATO
45%
6%
7.62x39
22%
.30 Carbine
7%
.30-30 WCF
5%
Other
16%

Total votes : 281

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:29 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Nah, new Remingtons are shit.

Then use your head and get one from the 90s or late 80s. They ain't exactly rare or expensive.

Good thing I said nothing about old Remingtons being shit.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 am

Sovaal wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Then use your head and get one from the 90s or late 80s. They ain't exactly rare or expensive.

Remington for the longest time was fantastic.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Good thing I said nothing about old Remingtons being shit.

Remington for the longest time was fantastic.

Just get a mossberg.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Tule wrote:This summer I've had the opportunity to try out a variety of guns. Been interested in getting a license for them for a while now, but my experiences were a bit different from what I expected in terms of which guns I want.

Turns out that rifles are my least favourite type of gun. Which is not what I expected.

Conversely, shotguns are REALLY fun. Far more fun than I expected.

Handguns are pretty fun too, more so than I expected. Don't mean to brag but I did far better with them than I thought I would: I actually hit the target.

I have little interest in driving 400 miles to Reindeer territory and back with a $2000 rifle with $1000 optics firing $2.50 rounds and gutting the whole thing. I might get a .22 rifle for target shooting but that would be a later purchase.

A shotgun will kill anything else that lives on this island, the ammo is c 35 per shell, no need for expensive sights and shooting clays is very difficult and way more fun than rifle shooting.

My first gun will definitely be a shotgun. Thinking of getting a Benelli M2. I was initially interested in a Beretta Outlander but was warned about getting a gas-operated shotgun due to the maintenance needed.

Thoughts?

My first shotgun was the Remington 870, and I still have it. As long as I keep it fed, it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, cycles smooth, and is comfortable to shoot. That said, I bought a Remington 1100 for shooting skeet, since its semi auto.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:35 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Tule wrote:This summer I've had the opportunity to try out a variety of guns. Been interested in getting a license for them for a while now, but my experiences were a bit different from what I expected in terms of which guns I want.

Turns out that rifles are my least favourite type of gun. Which is not what I expected.

Conversely, shotguns are REALLY fun. Far more fun than I expected.

Handguns are pretty fun too, more so than I expected. Don't mean to brag but I did far better with them than I thought I would: I actually hit the target.

I have little interest in driving 400 miles to Reindeer territory and back with a $2000 rifle with $1000 optics firing $2.50 rounds and gutting the whole thing. I might get a .22 rifle for target shooting but that would be a later purchase.

A shotgun will kill anything else that lives on this island, the ammo is c 35 per shell, no need for expensive sights and shooting clays is very difficult and way more fun than rifle shooting.

My first gun will definitely be a shotgun. Thinking of getting a Benelli M2. I was initially interested in a Beretta Outlander but was warned about getting a gas-operated shotgun due to the maintenance needed.

Thoughts?

My first shotgun was the Remington 870, and I still have it. As long as I keep it fed, it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, cycles smooth, and is comfortable to shoot. That said, I bought a Remington 1100 for shooting skeet, since its semi auto.

I've used both the 870 and the 1100. I have to say, I prefer the 870. It's a little lighter than the 1100, and it's fun to use the pump.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Zeclil
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeclil » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:18 am

Just picked up a SIG P320 X-Carry, trigger isn't quite what they had posted. Little bit of creep, but definitely worth it.
Heraldry and Vexillology are quite interesting
I like both receiving and sending Telegrams
I do NOT get involved in politics in public and I doubt I will here. I am from the South of the US of A
Breakdown of Sanity, Demon Hunter, Fit For A King, Impending Doom, Revocation, Rings of Saturn, Tremonti, Volbeat

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

I've used both the 870 and the 1100. I have to say, I prefer the 870. It's a little lighter than the 1100, and it's fun to use the pump.

Although the 1100 does kick a fair amount less.

As for rifles... $100 Mosin, $100 ammo-crate (two tins of 440 rds each), plus freebie accessories... If you're lucky the bore hasn't been shot-out and if you're dilligent with swabbing the bore clean you may be able to get a few good 300 meter shots off the iron-sights. Kicks about like a shotgun, except with more muzzle-flash.

Semi-auto or "precision" rifles (ie: something with a scope), $600 DPMS, scope and mount for maybe $150-$200, and roughly 0.35 to 0.45 / rd as long as you stick to 55 and 62 grain bullets.

I'm not sure how that converts to english currency, though. And I'm sure the local authorities would have some nasty glances of jealousy if they saw the commoner meandering around with a bigger black dakka-stick than themselves.
-They're black for much the same reason why the Ford model Ts and gun barrels are generally black. Physics/chemistry, cost, and quality-control.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:17 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I've used both the 870 and the 1100. I have to say, I prefer the 870. It's a little lighter than the 1100, and it's fun to use the pump.

Although the 1100 does kick a fair amount less.

As for rifles... $100 Mosin, $100 ammo-crate (two tins of 440 rds each), plus freebie accessories... If you're lucky the bore hasn't been shot-out and if you're dilligent with swabbing the bore clean you may be able to get a few good 300 meter shots off the iron-sights. Kicks about like a shotgun, except with more muzzle-flash.

Semi-auto or "precision" rifles (ie: something with a scope), $600 DPMS, scope and mount for maybe $150-$200, and roughly 0.35 to 0.45 / rd as long as you stick to 55 and 62 grain bullets.

I'm not sure how that converts to english currency, though. And I'm sure the local authorities would have some nasty glances of jealousy if they saw the commoner meandering around with a bigger black dakka-stick than themselves.
-They're black for much the same reason why the Ford model Ts and gun barrels are generally black. Physics/chemistry, cost, and quality-control.

I didn't notice much of a difference in recoil between the 870 and the 1100, which were both 20 GA.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:15 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Although the 1100 does kick a fair amount less.

I didn't notice much of a difference in recoil between the 870 and the 1100, which were both 20 GA.

Probably a bit more noticeable when you get to a brick of one ounce slugs doing 1400+ fps.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:41 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I didn't notice much of a difference in recoil between the 870 and the 1100, which were both 20 GA.

Probably a bit more noticeable when you get to a brick of one ounce slugs doing 1400+ fps.

That might have something to do with that. I was shooting skeet, so no slugs. Iirc, we were firing 20 GA 2 3/4 inch shells.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 am

Sovaal wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Then use your head and get one from the 90s or late 80s. They ain't exactly rare or expensive.

I am still wondering if their new 15+1 1911 is worth it.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:59 pm

Big Jim P wrote:

They make an M1911 with a capacity like that? Sweet.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:02 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

They make an M1911 with a capacity like that? Sweet.

I've read about them.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:14 am

Big Jim P wrote:

Dammit. I need Ivan right now.
Anarchist

Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"

Datlofff
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:45 am

Big Jim P wrote:

Just buy a Glock. :rofl:
Im a slightly Authoritarian Moderate, I believe limited monarchies are the best systems of government, and that every 2016 presidential candidate was an idiot.
I personally feel that most people, in the act of trying to sound smart, often usually don't know what the fuck they are talking about.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:49 am

Datlofff wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Just buy a Glock. :rofl:

I already have Glocks, and their 45 only has 13 round mags. ;)
Hail Satan!

Datlofff
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:52 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Datlofff wrote:Just buy a Glock. :rofl:

Extended magazines ;)
Im a slightly Authoritarian Moderate, I believe limited monarchies are the best systems of government, and that every 2016 presidential candidate was an idiot.
I personally feel that most people, in the act of trying to sound smart, often usually don't know what the fuck they are talking about.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:55 am

Datlofff wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Extended magazines ;)

Not the same, and not a 1911. My next glock will be a 10mm G40 MOS.
Hail Satan!

Datlofff
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:12 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Datlofff wrote:
Extended magazines ;)

Why would you want a 1911 anyways? The only one I own that runs well is my grandfather's, and that one is ww2 era.

10mm is a fun round tho.
Last edited by Datlofff on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:15 am

Datlofff wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Why would you want a 1911 anyways? The only one I own that runs well is my grandfather's, and that one is ww2 era.

10mm is a fun round tho.

I want a wide variety of guns. A VERY wide variety. ;)
Hail Satan!

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:15 am

Datlofff wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

10mm is a fun round tho.

Come on now, a 1911 is one of those Americana must own type of firearms. One of those, just because categories.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:01 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Datlofff wrote:

10mm is a fun round tho.

Come on now, a 1911 is one of those Americana must own type of firearms. One of those, just because categories.

I wonder how much a WWII era 1911 is? Probably out of my price range...
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:58 am

Datlofff wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Why would you want a 1911 anyways?

While Glock and Beretta are better in the eyes of most the m1911a1 is still considered god's preferred handgun.
Anarchist

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:19 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Come on now, a 1911 is one of those Americana must own type of firearms. One of those, just because categories.

I wonder how much a WWII era 1911 is? Probably out of my price range...

If I remember correctly around the $2000.00 mark.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:15 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I wonder how much a WWII era 1911 is? Probably out of my price range...

If I remember correctly around the $2000.00 mark.

GEEEEEEZZZZZZZ. I could buy a small arsenal with that amount.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General