NATION

PASSWORD

GUN TALK: Doubletap

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite intermediate cartridge?

5.56 NATO
45%
6%
7.62x39
22%
.30 Carbine
7%
.30-30 WCF
5%
Other
16%

Total votes : 281

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:02 am

You and i are still agreeing regardless. Get a 0.30/7.62 rifle that is semi-auto and make use of volume of fire and vehicles.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:43 am

Free-Don wrote:You and i are still agreeing regardless. Get a 0.30/7.62 rifle that is semi-auto and make use of volume of fire and vehicles.

I prefer the "nuke the site from orbit" option.

I like big booms and I cannot lie. :D
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:30 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Free-Don wrote:You and i are still agreeing regardless. Get a 0.30/7.62 rifle that is semi-auto and make use of volume of fire and vehicles.

You call yourself a gun nut but the idea of dinosaur hunting doesn't make you nut. Hillarycrat detected.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:43 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Free-Don wrote:LIterally hollow bones or extremely fragile bones, thin skin for most, fingernails for armor, heads that take up 1/6th their body mass, and large fleshy lungs with little to no protection coupled with the fact they are probably obvious and large. There's also the fact that elephants are being poached with AKs and their weight range is typically around 5-7 mT but has gone pasted 9mT. Compared to a t-reck which is typically 6-8 mT but can get as high as 12mT.

So you and everyone around you can pretty much just hunt down and re-extinct dinos with aks given some time and the fact that you can still probably outrun most of the big dinos or if you have a good racing bike out bike nearly all of them. If you really want to outrun a dino just get a car and if you are a bad shot just use any 7.62/0.30 full power rifle and it'll work.

Basic me and naza are agreeing. You want bigger but standard stuff will do.

In Jurassic Park they don't have hollow bones except for the raptor skeleton at the montana dig site in JP1. Or the blunt force trauma would have killed a few more dinos. The genetic gaps led to the use of frog and reptilian genes so the skin is much thicker and their pain tolerance is massive.

The big problem is that you are being hunted the moment you set foot on the island. The raptors reach over 50mph and can navigate the jungle extraordinarily fast you're only going to get a shot off when it's in your face. The Theropods will smell you first and the loud thumps won't help you find it first.

Basically these aren't dinosaurs but monsters with dinosaur attributes.

Actually, if I were hunting dinos, just give me an A-10 Warthog.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

You call yourself a gun nut but the idea of dinosaur hunting doesn't make you nut. Hillarycrat detected.

Bullshit. I just have a different weapons preference.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:In Jurassic Park they don't have hollow bones except for the raptor skeleton at the montana dig site in JP1. Or the blunt force trauma would have killed a few more dinos. The genetic gaps led to the use of frog and reptilian genes so the skin is much thicker and their pain tolerance is massive.

The big problem is that you are being hunted the moment you set foot on the island. The raptors reach over 50mph and can navigate the jungle extraordinarily fast you're only going to get a shot off when it's in your face. The Theropods will smell you first and the loud thumps won't help you find it first.

Basically these aren't dinosaurs but monsters with dinosaur attributes.

Actually, if I were hunting dinos, just give me an A-10 Warthog.

I want one for squirrel season. And hog hunting. And plain shits and giggles.
Hail Satan!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:12 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Actually, if I were hunting dinos, just give me an A-10 Warthog.

I want one for squirrel season. And hog hunting. And plain shits and giggles.

Agreed. Those hogs are toast.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Free-Don wrote:A T-rex has a maximum running speed of around 17 MPH if they are willing to run soo hard that they would probably be tearing and ripping their own joints and tendons off. 6-7 MPH is the more accepted running speed. The vast majority of their head is nasal and ear cavities and are themselves composed of flappy flesh that just sucks in and absorbs air of which the head takes up around a tenth of it's entire body mass. They also have extremely large lungs and organs that aren't protected much at all and even the sort of protective scales might just be as thick and strong as finger nails.

So we have a slow moving animal that is extremely large with a face that is probably more flesh than bone with little in the way of protection... 0.5 cal anything is overkill.

Actually, early estimates back in the 1990's paced them in their mid 20's, and that was presuming solid reptillian bone-structure.

The fact that the younglings had a less-dense/more-mass-effiecent hollow bone structure of avians kinda cranks their max running speed in their "prime" to something like 40 mph. (turns slower than a dump-truck, though)

And then there are estimates on how fast those things could swim... Imagine a giant gator that can jump like a bunny...

Plus, there's how long a hit in the "vitals" would take to actually drop a T-rex... A dying T-rex can still do a lot of damage in 15 seconds at close range.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:01 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Free-Don wrote:A T-rex has a maximum running speed of around 17 MPH if they are willing to run soo hard that they would probably be tearing and ripping their own joints and tendons off. 6-7 MPH is the more accepted running speed. The vast majority of their head is nasal and ear cavities and are themselves composed of flappy flesh that just sucks in and absorbs air of which the head takes up around a tenth of it's entire body mass. They also have extremely large lungs and organs that aren't protected much at all and even the sort of protective scales might just be as thick and strong as finger nails.

So we have a slow moving animal that is extremely large with a face that is probably more flesh than bone with little in the way of protection... 0.5 cal anything is overkill.

Actually, early estimates back in the 1990's paced them in their mid 20's, and that was presuming solid reptillian bone-structure.

The fact that the younglings had a less-dense/more-mass-effiecent hollow bone structure of avians kinda cranks their max running speed in their "prime" to something like 40 mph. (turns slower than a dump-truck, though)

And then there are estimates on how fast those things could swim... Imagine a giant gator that can jump like a bunny...

Plus, there's how long a hit in the "vitals" would take to actually drop a T-rex... A dying T-rex can still do a lot of damage in 15 seconds at close range.

That's what follow up shots are for.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:45 pm

The theoretical mechanical human maximum running speed is set at 40+ MPH and Chickens at 20-35MPH for our joint average muscle and bone set ups, for both running speed are more around 8-12 MPH. The issue with technical maximum running speed is a quadratic problem with the whole cube law stuff that increases with size and scale. T-Rex maximum being at 27ish MPH will probably realistically only be at 4-8 MPH.

40+ round magazines are going to be a staple for dino hunting rifles.
Last edited by Free-Don on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:50 am

Free-Don wrote:Human maximum running speed is set at 40+ MPH and Chickens at 20-35MPH for our joint average muscle and bone set ups, for both running speed are more around 8-12 MPH. The issue with technical maximum running speed is a quadratic problem with the whole cube law stuff that increases with size and scale. T-Rex maximum being at 27ish MPH will probably realistically only be at 4-8 MPH.

A jeep or a Humvee is probably a good idea as well.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 am

Free-Don wrote:Human maximum running speed is set at 40+ MPH and Chickens at 20-35MPH for our joint average muscle and bone set ups, for both running speed are more around 8-12 MPH. The issue with technical maximum running speed is a quadratic problem with the whole cube law stuff that increases with size and scale. T-Rex maximum being at 27ish MPH will probably realistically only be at 4-8 MPH.

Fastest a human has ever been recorded running is around 28 mph.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 am

Sovaal wrote:Fastest a human has ever been recorded running is around 28 mph.

Yes, and the fastest chickens were only 9 mph. I was talking about fastest a human can mechanically move is more than 40 mph sorry I didn't mention that in the original post for i edited it.
Last edited by Free-Don on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:28 am

Free-Don wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Fastest a human has ever been recorded running is around 28 mph.

Yes, and the fastest chickens were only 9 mph. I was talking about fastest a human can mechanically move is more than 40 mph.

Ah, alright.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:31 pm

This summer I've had the opportunity to try out a variety of guns. Been interested in getting a license for them for a while now, but my experiences were a bit different from what I expected in terms of which guns I want.

Turns out that rifles are my least favourite type of gun. Which is not what I expected.

Conversely, shotguns are REALLY fun. Far more fun than I expected.

Handguns are pretty fun too, more so than I expected. Don't mean to brag but I did far better with them than I thought I would: I actually hit the target.

I have little interest in driving 400 miles to Reindeer territory and back with a $2000 rifle with $1000 optics firing $2.50 rounds and gutting the whole thing. I might get a .22 rifle for target shooting but that would be a later purchase.

A shotgun will kill anything else that lives on this island, the ammo is c 35 per shell, no need for expensive sights and shooting clays is very difficult and way more fun than rifle shooting.

My first gun will definitely be a shotgun. Thinking of getting a Benelli M2. I was initially interested in a Beretta Outlander but was warned about getting a gas-operated shotgun due to the maintenance needed.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Tule on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Tule wrote:This summer I've had the opportunity to try out a variety of guns. Been interested in getting a license for them for a while now, but my experiences were a bit different from what I expected in terms of which guns I want.

Turns out that rifles are my least favourite type of gun. Which is not what I expected.

Handguns are pretty fun too, more so than I expected. Don't mean to brag but I did far better with them than I thought I would: I actually hit the target.

I have little interest in driving 400 miles to Reindeer territory and back with a $2000 rifle with $1000 optics firing $2.50 rounds and gutting the whole thing. I might get a .22 rifle for target shooting but that would be a later purchase.

A shotgun will kill anything else that lives on this island, the ammo is c 35 per shell, no need for expensive sights and shooting clays is very difficult and way more fun than rifle shooting.

My first gun will definitely be a shotgun. Thinking of getting a Benelli M2. I was initially interested in a Beretta Outlander but was warned about getting a gas-operated shotgun due to the maintenance needed.

Thoughts?

See I'm kinda the opposite really. Rifles are my favorite, with shotguns being my least favorite, although I will give them that they are fun and extremely powerful.

As for a semi shotgun I don't haven much experience but everything I've heard about Benellis was good.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 pm

A Benelli is fine and will do just about everything you need it to.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Tule wrote:This summer I've had the opportunity to try out a variety of guns. Been interested in getting a license for them for a while now, but my experiences were a bit different from what I expected in terms of which guns I want.

Thoughts?

Either way, a pump or a semi-auto shotty is going to require maintenance. I own both types and general cleaning and lubricating is pretty much all I've done and both shottys perform flawlessly. Just like anything mechanical, inspection during cleaning/lubricating is also key.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Thoughts?

Get yourself a pump, like a nice brand new Remington 870.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Telconi wrote:

Thoughts?

Shooting doubles in International skeet is much more tough with a pump than in American skeet. It's very easy to lose the second pigeon.
I like the 870 but it's just not good for what I intend to use a shotgun for.

O/U's would work, but they're hideously expensive.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Telconi wrote:

Thoughts?

Nah, new Remingtons are shit.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 am

Sovaal wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Nah, new Remingtons are shit.

Then use your head and get one from the 90s or late 80s. They ain't exactly rare or expensive.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:54 am

Thoughts?

Skeet shooting is so much fun. I'm planning on saving up for an 870, probably in 12 GA.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:57 am

Tule wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Shooting doubles in International skeet is much more tough with a pump than in American skeet. It's very easy to lose the second pigeon.

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/index_air.php?id=8
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 am

Telconi wrote:

Thoughts?

Play nice Tel.

Tule wrote:
Telconi wrote:

For skeet you might consider a side-by-side, they're cheaper than O/Us usually and at least when I shoot skeet I've never had a problem acquiring the second target. I don't know if it's available around you but I've heard good things about the Condor Competition, which is probably the cheapest O/U you can get but it shoots like a much more expensive one from everything I've heard.

You could get the Viper G2 SR Sport, which is exactly the same as the Viper G2 Sport but so fuckugly they knocked $200 USD off the price.
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General