NATION

PASSWORD

GUN TALK: Doubletap

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite intermediate cartridge?

5.56 NATO
45%
6%
7.62x39
22%
.30 Carbine
7%
.30-30 WCF
5%
Other
16%

Total votes : 281

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Len Hyet wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
There are also .223 pump action rifles that use AR mags as well. In fact, unless they made pump actions in .30-30, .444 Marlin or .45-70, those are the only two pump action rifles I want.

The Savage Model 170 is a pump-action in .30-30 iirc

w00t.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:17 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Len Hyet wrote:The Savage Model 170 is a pump-action in .30-30 iirc

w00t.

.30-30, now that's a legendary caliber.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
w00t.

I more prefer 8mm Mauser.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
w00t.

Treinta-Treinta :clap:
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 am

Germanic Templars wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:.30-30, now that's a legendary caliber.

Can't shoot 8mm outta most lever guns
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 am

Sovaal wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:

Lever actions are awesome.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:

But why would I? Bolt-actions are better, if you ask me.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Can't shoot 8mm outta most lever guns

But why would I? Bolt-actions are better, if you ask me.

Imma need to ask you to hand over your American citizenship.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:23 am

On the subject of pump rifles, I figured out what we need: a mag fed pump rifle in .50 cal.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:god this makes me all hot. Even though I'm sure that is a fake Russian.

IIRC, the guy was a machinist, and died of a head-injury/stroke a year or two ago.
[Press X to doubt]

More Ivanisms

Well then Rest In Piece Ivan. You were a gift.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:On the subject of pump rifles, I figured out what we need: a mag fed pump rifle in .50 cal.

a real sized 50 sounds like a pain in the ass to pump. You'd have to shrink that sucker down so that the rifle isn't longer than it needs to be.
Anarchist

Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"

Astraliniai
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Astraliniai » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Living in a country with heavy gun restrictions, I've never had much experience with guns. I do have a thing for Kalashnikovs, though.
THE ASTRALINIAI CONVERGENCE
A race of 10-12 ft tall, genderless, non-humanoid aliens who communicate with a series of growls, thumps, groans and other noises.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:On the subject of pump rifles, I figured out what we need: a mag fed pump rifle in .50 cal.

a real sized 50 sounds like a pain in the ass to pump. You'd have to shrink that sucker down so that the rifle isn't longer than it needs to be.

I know it would be a pain in the neck, but it would be perfect for hunting dinosaurs.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 pm

A T-rex has a maximum running speed of around 17 MPH if they are willing to run soo hard that they would probably be tearing and ripping their own joints and tendons off. 6-7 MPH is the more accepted running speed. The vast majority of their head is nasal and ear cavities and are themselves composed of flappy flesh that just sucks in and absorbs air of which the head takes up around a tenth of it's entire body mass. They also have extremely large lungs and organs that aren't protected much at all and even the sort of protective scales might just be as thick and strong as finger nails.

So we have a slow moving animal that is extremely large with a face that is probably more flesh than bone with little in the way of protection... 0.5 cal anything is overkill.
Last edited by Free-Don on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Free-Don wrote:A T-rex has a maximum running speed of around 17 MPH if they are willing to run soo hard that they would probably be tearing and ripping their own joints and tendons off. 6-7 MPH is the more accepted running speed. The vast majority of their head is nasal and ear cavities and are themselves composed of flappy flesh that just sucks in and absorbs air of which the head takes up around a tenth of it's entire body mass. They also have extremely large lungs and organs that aren't protected much at all and even the sort of protective scales might just be as thick and strong as finger nails.

So we have a slow moving animal that is extremely large with a face that is probably more flesh than bone with little in the way of protection... 0.5 cal anything is overkill.

Juvenile tyrannosaurs are hypothesize to have been much, much faster than a full grown tyrannosaur, possibly even the fastest animals in their ecosystem, and potentially hunted in packs, at least for some species. So you’re going to want to bring something with auto capabilities.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Also, anyone avenue some suggestions on a good modern scope for a .30-30?

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:53 pm

Here's my latest acquisition. Gen 4 Glock 35 MOS. It came with Trijicon night sights, and I've added a Burris Fastfire III and Lone Wolf "Pro Pick" Trigger Kit.

Last edited by Gun Manufacturers on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:59 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:Here's my latest acquisition. Gen 4 Glock 35 MOS. It came with Trijicon night sights, and I've added a Burris Fastfire III and Lone Wolf "Pro Pick" Trigger Kit.

(Image)
Im not familiar wiht Glocks, what caliber is it?

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:21 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:Here's my latest acquisition. Gen 4 Glock 35 MOS. It came with Trijicon night sights, and I've added a Burris Fastfire III and Lone Wolf "Pro Pick" Trigger Kit.

(Image)
Im not familiar wiht Glocks, what caliber is it?

It's chambered in .40S&W
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Good luck with the Burris. I think Sage Dynamics' studies have shown it having some issues under more "dynamic" use (may be fine for range/competition, though).

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:06 am

Sovaal wrote:
Free-Don wrote:A T-rex has a maximum running speed of around 17 MPH if they are willing to run soo hard that they would probably be tearing and ripping their own joints and tendons off. 6-7 MPH is the more accepted running speed. The vast majority of their head is nasal and ear cavities and are themselves composed of flappy flesh that just sucks in and absorbs air of which the head takes up around a tenth of it's entire body mass. They also have extremely large lungs and organs that aren't protected much at all and even the sort of protective scales might just be as thick and strong as finger nails.

Juvenile tyrannosaurs are hypothesize to have been much, much faster than a full grown tyrannosaur, possibly even the fastest animals in their ecosystem, and potentially hunted in packs, at least for some species. So you’re going to want to bring something with auto capabilities.

I know, we can use a Jeep with an M2 mounted. That should do the trick, I think.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:a real sized 50 sounds like a pain in the ass to pump. You'd have to shrink that sucker down so that the rifle isn't longer than it needs to be.

I know it would be a pain in the neck, but it would be perfect for hunting dinosaurs.

See my post. Jurassic Park dinosaurs have a high pain tolerance.
Anarchist

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 am

LIterally hollow bones or extremely fragile bones, thin skin for most, fingernails for armor, heads that take up 1/6th their body mass, and large fleshy lungs with little to no protection coupled with the fact they are probably obvious and large. There's also the fact that elephants are being poached with AKs and their weight range is typically around 5-7 mT but has gone pasted 9mT. Compared to a t-reck which is typically 6-8 mT but can get as high as 12mT.

So you and everyone around you can pretty much just hunt down and re-extinct dinos with aks given some time and the fact that you can still probably outrun most of the big dinos or if you have a good racing bike out bike nearly all of them. If you really want to outrun a dino just get a car and if you are a bad shot just use any 7.62/0.30 full power rifle and it'll work.

Basic me and naza are agreeing. You want bigger but standard stuff will do.
Last edited by Free-Don on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Spreewerke wrote:Good luck with the Burris. I think Sage Dynamics' studies have shown it having some issues under more "dynamic" use (may be fine for range/competition, though).

Yeah, like most of my firearms, it's just going to see use at the range.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Free-Don wrote:LIterally hollow bones or extremely fragile bones, thin skin for most, fingernails for armor, heads that take up 1/6th their body mass, and large fleshy lungs with little to no protection coupled with the fact they are probably obvious and large. There's also the fact that elephants are being poached with AKs and their weight range is typically around 5-7 mT but has gone pasted 9mT. Compared to a t-reck which is typically 6-8 mT but can get as high as 12mT.

So you and everyone around you can pretty much just hunt down and re-extinct dinos with aks given some time and the fact that you can still probably outrun most of the big dinos or if you have a good racing bike out bike nearly all of them. If you really want to outrun a dino just get a car and if you are a bad shot just use any 7.62/0.30 full power rifle and it'll work.

Basic me and naza are agreeing. You want bigger but standard stuff will do.

In Jurassic Park they don't have hollow bones except for the raptor skeleton at the montana dig site in JP1. Or the blunt force trauma would have killed a few more dinos. The genetic gaps led to the use of frog and reptilian genes so the skin is much thicker and their pain tolerance is massive.

The big problem is that you are being hunted the moment you set foot on the island. The raptors reach over 50mph and can navigate the jungle extraordinarily fast you're only going to get a shot off when it's in your face. The Theropods will smell you first and the loud thumps won't help you find it first.

Basically these aren't dinosaurs but monsters with dinosaur attributes.
Anarchist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General