NATION

PASSWORD

GUN TALK: Doubletap

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite intermediate cartridge?

5.56 NATO
45%
6%
7.62x39
22%
.30 Carbine
7%
.30-30 WCF
5%
Other
16%

Total votes : 281

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Fri May 28, 2021 8:04 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:My second to last shipment of AR stuff should get here today. I can’t wait.

Always a good feeling to get that final shipment of firearms parts/accessories.
The few parts I ordered tracking said delayed in transit, and I was yelling, NOOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:17 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:My second to last shipment of AR stuff should get here today. I can’t wait.

Always a good feeling to get that final shipment of firearms parts/accessories.
The few parts I ordered tracking said delayed in transit, and I was yelling, NOOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

Update: I’m just waiting for the last thing I need, which I ordered over a week ago. It still hasn’t shown up and I’m starting to get worried.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:41 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Always a good feeling to get that final shipment of firearms parts/accessories.

Update: I’m just waiting for the last thing I need, which I ordered over a week ago. It still hasn’t shown up and I’m starting to get worried.

What does tracking say? Mine got held up in commiefornia for 3 days, pissed me off.
In the past I've contacted both the shipper and the shipping company to inquire on the status of my now very late package and see if they can track it down to where it was last seen.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:49 am

Found a guy selling four or five .308 M1 Garands, two of which had new match barrels. I've never so much as seen a .308 Garand, never mind five of them in one place. Bought one with a GI barrel, pretty stoked.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:04 am

Krasny-Volny wrote:Found a guy selling four or five .308 M1 Garands, two of which had new match barrels. I've never so much as seen a .308 Garand, never mind five of them in one place. Bought one with a GI barrel, pretty stoked.

Must share price and locale? /crosses fingers that this in Louisiana.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:31 am

Giggle time.
Belt fed AR 15 with a Rare Breed forced reset trigger.
https://youtu.be/7R7SpRgWp-4?t=51

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:15 am

:kiss:
Grinning Dragon wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Update: I’m just waiting for the last thing I need, which I ordered over a week ago. It still hasn’t shown up and I’m starting to get worried.

What does tracking say? Mine got held up in commiefornia for 3 days, pissed me off.
In the past I've contacted both the shipper and the shipping company to inquire on the status of my now very late package and see if they can track it down to where it was last seen.

I ordered as a guest, so it won’t show me tracking info. If it doesn’t come by tommorow, I’m gonna contact them.
Krasny-Volny wrote:Found a guy selling four or five .308 M1 Garands, two of which had new match barrels. I've never so much as seen a .308 Garand, never mind five of them in one place. Bought one with a GI barrel, pretty stoked.

That’s cool! I didn’t think they actually made Garands in .308.
Last edited by Pax Nerdvana on Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:57 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:

Must share price and locale? /crosses fingers that this in Louisiana.

Phoenix area, AZ. Price ranged from $1,800 to $2,500 for the nicest of the five.

Pax Nerdvana wrote::kiss:
Grinning Dragon wrote:What does tracking say? Mine got held up in commiefornia for 3 days, pissed me off.

I ordered as a guest, so it won’t show me tracking info. If it doesn’t come by tommorow, I’m gonna contact them.

Well, the .308 Garands were originally .30-06s that were rechambered by the US Navy in the ‘60s when everybody else switched over to the M-14, or by the CMP, or by private gunsmiths since then.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:08 am

Krasny-Volny wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Must share price and locale? /crosses fingers that this in Louisiana.

Phoenix area, AZ. Price ranged from $1,800 to $2,500 for the nicest of the five.

Well, the .308 Garands were originally .30-06s that were rechambered by the US Navy in the ‘60s when everybody else switched over to the M-14, or by the CMP, or by private gunsmiths since then.

Okay, that makes sense.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:34 am

Krasny-Volny wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Must share price and locale? /crosses fingers that this in Louisiana.

The .308 Garands require special clips to account for the difference in cartridge length between that and the .30-06. From what I understand, amongst Garand enthusiasts, the .308 is scarce to rare.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:22 am

Talked with the company yesterday. Apparently the last thing I need is on backorder, and won’t ship for a couple weeks.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:42 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:Talked with the company yesterday. Apparently the last thing I need is on backorder, and won’t ship for a couple weeks.

Ugh, that sucks. They could have sent an email or called to inform that they were on back order after you had placed your order.
In my case I keep on top of that when that happens and pretty much inquire everyday on the status.

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:40 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Krasny-Volny wrote:

The .308 Garands require special clips to account for the difference in cartridge length between that and the .30-06. From what I understand, amongst Garand enthusiasts, the .308 is scarce to rare.

Incorrect.

.308 and .30-06 have such similar base sizes they actually feed from the exact same en-blocs. As video demonstrates, the plastic spacer is actually optional.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:29 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Talked with the company yesterday. Apparently the last thing I need is on backorder, and won’t ship for a couple weeks.

Ugh, that sucks. They could have sent an email or called to inform that they were on back order after you had placed your order.
In my case I keep on top of that when that happens and pretty much inquire everyday on the status.

The site did say it was shipping in a week. Guess they forgot to update it. What bugs me is that this is the piece I need to actually finish the gun.
I thinking I’m gonna order some more ammo, and maybe a couple more 30 round mags.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:42 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Ugh, that sucks. They could have sent an email or called to inform that they were on back order after you had placed your order.

The site did say it was shipping in a week. Guess they forgot to update it. What bugs me is that this is the piece I need to actually finish the gun.
I thinking I’m gonna order some more ammo, and maybe a couple more 30 round mags.

I can understand the 1 week lead time to ship. Was that information available at the time when you placed the order or was that just recently added?
In any case as I said before, I would have been on the phone daily with their customer support/shipping dept inquiring about updates and perhaps to inquire about a financial resolution as in a partial refund in shipping, store credit, etc.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:49 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:The site did say it was shipping in a week. Guess they forgot to update it. What bugs me is that this is the piece I need to actually finish the gun.

I can understand the 1 week lead time to ship. Was that information available at the time when you placed the order or was that just recently added?
In any case as I said before, I would have been on the phone daily with their customer support/shipping dept inquiring about updates and perhaps to inquire about a financial resolution as in a partial refund in shipping, store credit, etc.

That info was on the site when I ordered. I’m honestly not too worried about it getting here late, as long as it gets here. They told me it’d ship in about two weeks, when I emailed them last week. I also just hate making phone calls.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:I can understand the 1 week lead time to ship. Was that information available at the time when you placed the order or was that just recently added?

That info was on the site when I ordered. I’m honestly not too worried about it getting here late, as long as it gets here. They told me it’d ship in about two weeks, when I emailed them last week. I also just hate making phone calls.

I'm a pretty impatient man, the minute I click order, I want it at my door step in the next 5 minutes. HA
As for making phone calls, guess I'm use to it since I deal with making such phone calls on a daily basis for work.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:00 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:That info was on the site when I ordered. I’m honestly not too worried about it getting here late, as long as it gets here. They told me it’d ship in about two weeks, when I emailed them last week. I also just hate making phone calls.

I'm a pretty impatient man, the minute I click order, I want it at my door step in the next 5 minutes. HA
As for making phone calls, guess I'm use to it since I deal with making such phone calls on a daily basis for work.

Makes sense. As long as I get it, I don’t really care. I’m just kind of easy going.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:03 am

Got an email yesterday saying it shipped. Should be here by Saturday!
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Mercatus
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercatus » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:49 pm

Anyone else pissed that AK parts are crazy expensive now? After writing off buying a complete rifle because anything I could afford would be utter shit that could blow my face off, I decided to start tracking down the parts to build an AK. Well, thing is, parts kits are either out of stock or 700+ dollars, excepting that Kolarms KAM-17 virgin kit from Slovakia, which even at almost 500 dollars is overpriced for what it is. I decided to look for individual parts, and they’re actually in stock!

I’m gonna build a polish under folder on an 80% Childers blank, because both of those components are in stock for *reasonable* prices (99 bucks for the stock and trunnion is a steal nowadays). The only barrels in stock were Green Mountain for 150 bucks, and the only front trunnion I found was a Bulgarian one for 99 bucks. Everything else, such as the grip, rivets, top cover etc. were found with no issues. However, I can’t find any components for barrel population, such as the front and rear sight block, handguard retainers, and handguards. Do y’all know any website that has those in stock for an AKM? I can only find Yugo or milled parts in stock, but they don’t fit the rifle I’m gonna build.
About Me: Far-Right high schooler from Texas disillusioned with the progressive path being taken by society and propagated by young people.
Political Ideology: Right Wing Populism
Religion: Evangelical Baptist Christian

Pro: Gun Rights, Nuclear Family, Protectionist Economics, Capitalism, Israel, Border Wall, Fossil Fuels, Nuclear Energy, Traditional Social Values.
Anti: Communism, Socialism, BLM, LGBTQ Rights, Environmentalism, Affirmative Action, Globalism, Corporatism, Universalism, New Age Spirituality.

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:53 pm

Damnit, I hate it when I go to a gun store, think I see a cool old gun behind the counter, ask to look at it, and then it's a .22 conversion. I got really excited when I thought I found a nice Enfield yesterday, and it was an original Enfield, but some fool had converted it to a .22 sometime in the last 70 years.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Mercatus
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercatus » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:48 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:Damnit, I hate it when I go to a gun store, think I see a cool old gun behind the counter, ask to look at it, and then it's a .22 conversion. I got really excited when I thought I found a nice Enfield yesterday, and it was an original Enfield, but some fool had converted it to a .22 sometime in the last 70 years.

Fuckin’ bubbas. It was probably cheaper to just buy a new .22, why would they convert a surplus gun?
About Me: Far-Right high schooler from Texas disillusioned with the progressive path being taken by society and propagated by young people.
Political Ideology: Right Wing Populism
Religion: Evangelical Baptist Christian

Pro: Gun Rights, Nuclear Family, Protectionist Economics, Capitalism, Israel, Border Wall, Fossil Fuels, Nuclear Energy, Traditional Social Values.
Anti: Communism, Socialism, BLM, LGBTQ Rights, Environmentalism, Affirmative Action, Globalism, Corporatism, Universalism, New Age Spirituality.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:39 pm

PSA actually has some 5.56 and .223 in stock for not horrible prices. Ordered a couple boxes.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Crossposting from /k/ since I posted in the milsurp thread there:

Was fiddling with my Arisaka 99. Haven't had a chance to use it since I got it last year and ammo shortage, but one thing I was concerned with was that the safety was inoperable. Took it apart, fiddled with it, put it back together, nothing. Was very perplexed. Decided to take dust cover off to see if anything moved when pulling the trigger, nothing. With the dust cover off though, I noticed I could engage the safety, and when I did so, and took it off, successfully dry-fired the rifle, and did so a couple more times to ensure proper function, reengaging safety, etc. etc. My conclusion is that the dust cover was for some reason impeding operation of the rifle, though they were matching serial numbers so I don't know why the soldier it was issued to would have kept the dust cover if it impeded operation of the rifle. Is it possible the dust cover has deformed or been damaged in some way in the intervening years since the war? Is this a common issue with Arisakas, etc. etc.?

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed the problem. Upon closer examination, whoever fiddled with the dust cover prior to me fit it on improperly. When properly fitted, the rifle functions as normal.
Last edited by Punished UMN on Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017

Postby Greater Cesnica » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:30 pm

Punished UMN wrote:EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed the problem. Upon closer examination, whoever fiddled with the dust cover prior to me fit it on improperly. When properly fitted, the rifle functions as normal.

"Finally, a happy ending."
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General