NATION

PASSWORD

GUN TALK: Doubletap

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite intermediate cartridge?

5.56 NATO
45%
6%
7.62x39
22%
.30 Carbine
7%
.30-30 WCF
5%
Other
16%

Total votes : 281

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue May 18, 2021 6:23 am

Adamede wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:AR building is slightly less confusing then PC building. All these different things, half of which seem to be out of stock.
On the subject of out of stock, I was looking at ammo last night. The only .22LR I found in stock anywhere was $10 for fifty rounds.

Haven’t been to an actual gun store in a while but every big brand store that also sells guns has been out of stock on ammo of all types.

Also the $80 shotguns at Walmart are now like $110. I’m just glad I was able to build my second AR effort everything went to shit.

Update: I actually found some .223 steel case in stock.
I have a whole bunch of AR parts on mail order, and I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Mon May 24, 2021 7:25 pm

While not exactly a gun....

How much is a fair/good condition M1905 Bayonet from Springfield arsenal dated 1918 worth? 16" blade, black walnut grips. Asking for a friend.

Blade is a bit pitted near the hilt and the interior of the M3 sheath smells a bit of rancid animal-fat and blood. Still locks onto an M1 Garand, tho.

My dad said he paid $19 for it. ;)
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Mon May 24, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue May 25, 2021 6:09 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:While not exactly a gun....

How much is a fair/good condition M1905 Bayonet from Springfield arsenal dated 1918 worth? 16" blade, black walnut grips. Asking for a friend.

Blade is a bit pitted near the hilt and the interior of the M3 sheath smells a bit of rancid animal-fat and blood. Still locks onto an M1 Garand, tho.

I did a quick search, and they seem to be going for a couple hundred dollars, depending on condition.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Tue May 25, 2021 6:28 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

I did a quick search, and they seem to be going for a couple hundred dollars, depending on condition.

Geez. For just a knife?!

OP of Empire's End RP, Frequenter of P2TM, and part of the F7 delegation along with -Astoria, Valentine Z, Western Fardelshufflestein, La Xinga, and Nooooooooooooooo.
“...My only complaint is that this guy seems to have plot armor thicker than the hull of a battleship. What’s this Holy Grail thing, anyway? I tried looking it up using foreign information networks but I kept seeing footage of knights being butchered by a rabbit... I don’t think that was a legitimate source.”

...and Josephus sorta started a nuclear war, so I'll just ignore the fact that Kakistopia has almost 50% of deaths due in some part to the God-Empress, and I'll also ignore that Josephus XII was raised as a child-soldier, and I'll say Josephus is the more horrible leader.

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Tue May 25, 2021 6:32 am

Nevertopia wrote:question to gun enthusiasts, how do you deal with criminals gaining guns legitimately due to lax gun control or having someone legally purchase said guns by legal entities for the purpose of handing it to criminals such as during the rittenhouse shooting?

Hasn't he done this before? Is there anything we can do to make him stop?

I don't think this is actionable by the mods, except maybe as spam, but it is getting annoying.

EDIT: Search revealed two occurences... out of four posts on the thread.
Last edited by Abbeyverne on Tue May 25, 2021 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

OP of Empire's End RP, Frequenter of P2TM, and part of the F7 delegation along with -Astoria, Valentine Z, Western Fardelshufflestein, La Xinga, and Nooooooooooooooo.
“...My only complaint is that this guy seems to have plot armor thicker than the hull of a battleship. What’s this Holy Grail thing, anyway? I tried looking it up using foreign information networks but I kept seeing footage of knights being butchered by a rabbit... I don’t think that was a legitimate source.”

...and Josephus sorta started a nuclear war, so I'll just ignore the fact that Kakistopia has almost 50% of deaths due in some part to the God-Empress, and I'll also ignore that Josephus XII was raised as a child-soldier, and I'll say Josephus is the more horrible leader.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue May 25, 2021 6:36 am

Abbeyverne wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I did a quick search, and they seem to be going for a couple hundred dollars, depending on condition.

Geez. For just a knife?!

Since there is a market for tools used in and during war time, makes sense as there are collectors for just about anything.

Lady Victory
Minister

Founded: Apr 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Victory » Tue May 25, 2021 8:23 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:
Geez. For just a knife?!

Since there is a market for tools used in and during war time, makes sense as there are collectors for just about anything.

"Anything"? Are there collectors who collect collectors?
☆ American Left-wing Nationalist and Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
"Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
"Fascism is not to be debated, it is to be destroyed!"

She/Her - Call me Jenny or LV

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue May 25, 2021 8:27 am

Lady Victory wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:

Heh. I'm sure there are.
Then again I did say "just about anything"

Lady Victory
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Victory » Tue May 25, 2021 8:29 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Lady Victory wrote:

Heh. I'm sure there are.

What should we call the collectors who collect collectors, though?

Slavers? Human traffickers? Polygamists?

:p
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
"Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue May 25, 2021 8:31 am

Lady Victory wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Heh. I'm sure there are.

Tivan's derived from the man who started it all Taneleer Tivan
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Tue May 25, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Victory
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Victory » Tue May 25, 2021 1:58 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Lady Victory wrote:

Tivan's derived from the man who started it all Taneleer Tivan

Sufficiently geeky. I approve.

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Tue May 25, 2021 3:19 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:
Geez. For just a knife?!

Plus the vast majority of them got chopped-up at the arsenal level into M1 Bayonets (M1905E1 to collectors) or simply outright destroyed in use. So a full-length original condition sword bayonet is running somewhere between 300 and 500 dollars plus tax and shipping.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Tue May 25, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Jianxi Fujian Soviet
Attaché

Founded: Oct 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Jianxi Fujian Soviet » Tue May 25, 2021 5:05 pm

... https://emilitariacollector.com/product ... d-original

that thing could be worth serious money apparently... go have it checked out and quickly read up on preservation...and for fucks sake don't polish it. A little bit of brasso ruined many a collectors item...
中国共产党万岁! Support the Party!

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Tue May 25, 2021 10:43 pm

Jianxi Fujian Soviet wrote:

that thing could be worth serious money apparently... go have it checked out and quickly read up on preservation...and for fucks sake don't polish it. A little bit of brasso ruined many a collectors item...

Step 1: get the blood off of it.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed May 26, 2021 5:50 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:

Plus the vast majority of them got chopped-up at the arsenal level into M1 Bayonets (M1905E1 to collectors) or simply outright destroyed in use. So a full-length original condition sword bayonet is running somewhere between 300 and 500 dollars plus tax and shipping.

Huh... I saw one for sale last weekend for maybe $100 and passed up on it. They seem to be pretty common around these parts still, which might explain the price difference.

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed May 26, 2021 6:13 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:

Step 1: get the blood off of it.

Depending on whose blood it is, the blood stains might make it more valuable.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Wed May 26, 2021 4:36 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Step 1: get the blood off of it.

Depending on whose blood it is, the blood stains might make it more valuable.

Step 2: Grind off the serial numbers :roll:

Oh, wait... wrong set of instructions.

But yeah, the link seems to think a demilled mosin should cost 6x to 12x more than a working mosin. So that appraisal is a bit steep.

And last I checked, hex-receiver mosins weren't ever given scopes. So "sniper-mosin" is blatantly false advertising.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Wed May 26, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu May 27, 2021 6:16 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Depending on whose blood it is, the blood stains might make it more valuable.

Step 2: Grind off the serial numbers :roll:

Oh, wait... wrong set of instructions.

But yeah, the link seems to think a demilled mosin should cost 6x to 12x more than a working mosin. So that appraisal is a bit steep.

And last I checked, hex-receiver mosins weren't ever given scopes. So "sniper-mosin" is blatantly false advertising.

That is odd.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Abbeyverne
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Abbeyverne » Thu May 27, 2021 10:26 am

I like WWII weapons, so the site is neat, but all the guns they sell are demilled! :(

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Thu May 27, 2021 4:04 pm

Abbeyverne wrote:

I like WWII weapons, so the site is neat, but all the guns they sell are demilled! :(

TFW you figure the demilling is only so they can deliver it straight to your door, and if you really know how a Mosin works, we can rebuild it, tovarish.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Thu May 27, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

Mercatus
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercatus » Thu May 27, 2021 6:52 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Abbeyverne wrote:

TFW you figure the demilling is only so they can deliver it straight to your door, and if you really know how a Mosin works, we can rebuild it, tovarish.

At that point why not just go to the hardware store and buy some materials to make replica firearms? You really don’t need things like a milling machine or lathe to do so.
About Me: Far-Right high schooler from Texas disillusioned with the progressive path being taken by society and propagated by young people.
Political Ideology: Right Wing Populism
Religion: Evangelical Baptist Christian

Pro: Gun Rights, Nuclear Family, Protectionist Economics, Capitalism, Israel, Border Wall, Fossil Fuels, Nuclear Energy, Traditional Social Values.
Anti: Communism, Socialism, BLM, LGBTQ Rights, Environmentalism, Affirmative Action, Globalism, Corporatism, Universalism, New Age Spirituality.

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Thu May 27, 2021 8:54 pm

Per the advice I got on this thread, I'm looking at getting a ZPAP for my first AK. Hoping to find a deal at the local gun show day after tomorrow, if not there's a retailer who's got one up for a little over a grand.

I guess the one concern I have left is the weight. Seems compared to the RAK-47, the ZPAP is noticeably heavier. Not heavy enough to be a deal breaker, but heavy enough it's easy to tell the difference.

What is the reason for this? The thickness of the receiver alone doesn't seem to be enough to account for the extra weight. Did they just stick heavier barrels on the Yugos?
"Cold, analytical, materialistic thinking tends to throttle the urge to imagination." - Michael Chekhov

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri May 28, 2021 6:17 am

My second to last shipment of AR stuff should get here today. I can’t wait.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Fri May 28, 2021 7:52 am

San Marlindo wrote:Per the advice I got on this thread, I'm looking at getting a ZPAP for my first AK. Hoping to find a deal at the local gun show day after tomorrow, if not there's a retailer who's got one up for a little over a grand.

I guess the one concern I have left is the weight. Seems compared to the RAK-47, the ZPAP is noticeably heavier. Not heavy enough to be a deal breaker, but heavy enough it's easy to tell the difference.

What is the reason for this? The thickness of the receiver alone doesn't seem to be enough to account for the extra weight. Did they just stick heavier barrels on the Yugos?

How much extra? The difference of weight between AKs shouldn't be significant enough to notice if the models are well regarded.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Fri May 28, 2021 8:00 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
San Marlindo wrote:Per the advice I got on this thread, I'm looking at getting a ZPAP for my first AK. Hoping to find a deal at the local gun show day after tomorrow, if not there's a retailer who's got one up for a little over a grand.

How much extra? The difference of weight between AKs shouldn't be significant enough to notice if the models are well regarded.

Just under a pound heavier. That's my feel guess, anyway.

Not enough to affect my decision, but like I said enough to be noticed.
Last edited by San Marlindo on Fri May 28, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Cold, analytical, materialistic thinking tends to throttle the urge to imagination." - Michael Chekhov

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General