NATION

PASSWORD

Opting Opt of Taxes

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Nulla Bellum wrote:
For SNAP benefits? 62% of them.

This is what we call a lie. In particular most SNAP recipients are employed.

Cuav.
Replying to posts addressed to you is harrassment.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Cuav.

A right-wing opinion magazine or a research paper...hmm so hard to choose.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Yeah, no. That's not the claim that we've made. You have specifically claimed that those benefits add up to more than $35,000/year (and also that you think that ability to use google translate to write fucking abysmal Japanese makes you look intelligent, apparently, but that one's clearly wrong). You have provided zero evidence of that, and until you do, it's bullshit.

Ulikuwa na matatizo ya kusoma Kiingereza. Kwa nini Google haiwezi kuunga mkono madai yako?

Because I haven't made a claim. I've just pointed out, repeatedly, that you haven't provided evidence to support yours.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Cuav.

Hmm, let's see, the Centre on Budget and Policy Priorities, or a shitty news outlet that doesn't name its sources? I wonder which one might be false?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Nulla Bellum wrote:
For SNAP benefits? 62% of them.

It's food stamps.

The sort of people who can't afford food aren't the most likely to have a job.

Not the point. The able-bodied receiving SNAP are required by law to work or enter job training after 3 months. This law isn't being enforced.
Replying to posts addressed to you is harrassment.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Yeah, no. That's not the claim that we've made. You have specifically claimed that those benefits add up to more than $35,000/year (and also that you think that ability to use google translate to write fucking abysmal Japanese makes you look intelligent, apparently, but that one's clearly wrong). You have provided zero evidence of that, and until you do, it's bullshit.

Ulikuwa na matatizo ya kusoma Kiingereza. Kwa nini Google haiwezi kuunga mkono madai yako?

This is an English language forum and you were just warned by Lamoni for harassment, but chose to double down and continue being obnoxious.

*** 3 day ban for spam and continuing harassment ***
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:01 pm

Taxes are taxes for a reason, if you create an opt out system then you'll have revenue massively reduced. Around 55% of the taxpayers believe that the federal income tax they pay is fair, so we are talking about 45% that don't. Assuming that some 25% would not pay taxes and the other 20% would pay... half? of what they current pay, this would imply in an effective loss of 35% in revenue. Income taxes bring up 1800bn in revenue yearly, so it's a loss of 600 billion a year (implying a budget deficit twice as large). That's not to say of course about dangerous fluctuations that could happen through general lack of satisfaction due to political, social and economic factors, resulting on an uncertain source of revenue.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:Taxes are taxes for a reason, if you create an opt out system then you'll have revenue massively reduced. Around 55% of the taxpayers believe that the federal income tax they pay is fair, so we are talking about 45% that don't. Assuming that some 25% would not pay taxes and the other 20% would pay... half? of what they current pay, this would imply in an effective loss of 35% in revenue. Income taxes bring up 1800bn in revenue yearly, so it's a loss of 600 billion a year (implying a budget deficit twice as large). That's not to say of course about dangerous fluctuations that could happen through general lack of satisfaction due to political, social and economic factors, resulting on an uncertain source of revenue.

Which basically means that the nation is ripe for a dictatorship or a military coup
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:
Galloism wrote:Generally speaking yes. However, there may be circumstances where the job costs more to maintain than its worth. Think of a single father with three kids, but the only job he can get is working at night, which means he has to hire someone to babysit.

That person who babysits is making at least as much as he is (minimum wage and all), so what have we accomplished?

A system that rewards sloth. Or at least makes stupid non-lethal.

If you think taking care of 2 kids on your own is sloth, and that escaping an abusive husband is stupid, I have no words for you.

Or I do, but they're all considered impolite.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Isilanka
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 13, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Isilanka » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:37 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Nulla Bellum wrote:
A system that rewards sloth. Or at least makes stupid non-lethal.

If you think taking care of 2 kids on your own is sloth, and that escaping an abusive husband is stupid, I have no words for you.

Or I do, but they're all considered impolite.

No, you don't understand.
Anyone who doesn't earn at least a million dollars each year in an ideal job, doesn't date a super-model spouse and doesn't have a shiny retirement plan by the age of 30 is obviously lazy. Context, desires, viewpoints, random life problems don't matter. Only lazyness.

Seriously, fuck this neo-darwinian view of "helping people in need means rewarding sloth."
I
Last edited by Isilanka on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pagan, slightly matriarchal nation with near future technology. Northern-european inspired culture in the north, arabic-inspired in the south. Liberal, left-leaning, high-tech environmentalist nation.
Uses most NS stats.

Native of The Pacific. Usually non-aligned. Make of that what you will.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General