NATION

PASSWORD

Religion and the LGBTQ community.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:57 pm

Infernia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I didn't say they seek to eradicate it totally, just to purge it from the public sphere.

But that’s still entirely untrue. There’s really nothing in it for lgbtq+ people to get rid of religion. It’s the religious that actually preach extermination of lgbtq+ people.

Certainly, they want it out of schools and out of politics.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Infernia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2017
Libertarian Police State

Postby Infernia » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:58 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Infernia wrote:
But that’s still entirely untrue. There’s really nothing in it for lgbtq+ people to get rid of religion. It’s the religious that actually preach extermination of lgbtq+ people.

That’s because religion has no place in education or administration.
The United Principalities of Infernia
Overview | The President | Embassy Programme | I’m A Proud Bisexual

"We Are What We Are"

Advocatus Diaboli: Entire Nation Rejoices In The Commencement Of Pride Month  Man Who Lost Arm By Plunging It Into Lava Complacently Refuses To Describe What Lava Feels Like  The Weather: Bright

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:59 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Infernia wrote:

Parkus, religion shouldn't be in politics, same as politics shouldn't be in religion. We want a separation of church and state because we have learned from history that we can't have one interfering with the other when it comes to countries.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:01 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Dylar wrote:Nein. I personally enjoy sharing my beliefs among my friends and co-workers outside of church

I grew up in a society that stated that we do not share our religious beliefs or political inclinations with those we do not know. That's why I believe matters of faith should stay in church. And not everyone you meet enjoys you talking about your beliefs with them. But that's how you operate, it's your right, so that's on you.

Do you oppose the LGBTQ community from getting equal protections under law? If the answer is no, then carry on.

Well, what really happens is that I tell some of my co-workers that I want to be a Catholic priest whenever we get onto a discussion about our future careers. And that's when they ask me questions about the faith. But I feel that faith should be spread outside of church. After all, the purpose of religion is to gather as many followers as possible to worship deities. And they can't really grow if all their material is kept inside the church and not spread out to anyone else.

No. Actually, I'm kinda neutral on the LGBTQ community. Of course, I adhere to the Church's teachings which is that homosexual acts are sins. And that I'm called to treat LGBTQ people with the same amount of dignity as anyone else. Only thing I have against the community is when members of the LGBTQ community start attacking the Church for obvious reasons.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Certainly, they want it out of schools and out of politics.

Parkus, religion shouldn't be in politics, same as politics shouldn't be in religion. We want a separation of church and state because we have learned from history that we can't have one interfering with the other when it comes to countries.

Well I don't want homosexuality in schools or politics.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Dylar wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I grew up in a society that stated that we do not share our religious beliefs or political inclinations with those we do not know. That's why I believe matters of faith should stay in church. And not everyone you meet enjoys you talking about your beliefs with them. But that's how you operate, it's your right, so that's on you.

Do you oppose the LGBTQ community from getting equal protections under law? If the answer is no, then carry on.

Well, what really happens is that I tell some of my co-workers that I want to be a Catholic priest whenever we get onto a discussion about our future careers. And that's when they ask me questions about the faith. But I feel that faith should be spread outside of church. After all, the purpose of religion is to gather as many followers as possible to worship deities. And they can't really grow if all their material is kept inside the church and not spread out to anyone else.

No. Actually, I'm kinda neutral on the LGBTQ community. Of course, I adhere to the Church's teachings which is that homosexual acts are sins. And that I'm called to treat LGBTQ people with the same amount of dignity as anyone else. Only thing I have against the community is when members of the LGBTQ community start attacking the Church for obvious reasons.

And that's the crux of the matter. In trying to eclipse them from the public (not saying you do that), many Christians aren't treating them with dignity. And in essence, that's all we ask. To be treated with dignity. You don't have to approve, but you don't have to be a dick about it (again, not calling you a dick- just a general statement).
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:03 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Tbh sexuality shouldn’t really be in either.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Infernia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Certainly, they want it out of schools and out of politics.

That’s because religion has no place in education or administration.

Ah, but your ideology and values do?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:03 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Why? Is it hard to treat gay people with respect? You don't have to approve, but you shouldn't oppose them having their rights respected.
Slava Ukraini

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Well I don't want homosexuality in schools or politics.

Why? Is it hard to treat gay people with respect? You don't have to approve, but you shouldn't oppose them having their rights respected.

The same reason you don't want Christianity in them.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:06 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

The same reason you don't want Christianity in them.

Christianity, religion in general, as well as sexuality should be a home and/or church thing. All gay people ask is to be treated with dignity. That's not hard or a forcing of their lives on anyone. It's not ok to bully a child for being religious, but the same applies to a child who is gay. It's not ok to bully them.
Slava Ukraini

Dylar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Infernia wrote:
Dylar wrote:Oh really? I want proof that shows that major religions seek to exterminate the LGBT people

If not the ridiculous speeches of the former senator Louie Gohmert
Southern Baptist. Not a major religion/major denomination of Christianity.
, any sermon under pastor Steven Anderson
Fundamentalist Independent Baptist church. Definitely not a major denomination.
and Leviticus 20:13
See, Leviticus 20:13, if you look at it are 2 laws. One part of the law is a Moral Law. The other part is a Judicial Law. The Moral Law is, obviously, "men lying with men is an abomination." The Judicial Law is, you guessed it, stoning to death. Christians only follow the Moral Laws of the Old Testament because the Ceremonial Laws(eating pork, wearing certain fabrics) and the Judicial Laws(stonings, burnings) were fulfilled by Christ's coming. While the Moral Laws are still in effect.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Infernia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2017
Libertarian Police State

Postby Infernia » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:09 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Infernia wrote:That’s because religion has no place in education or administration.

Ah, but your ideology and values do?

Not when they are all but proven to be untrue or based on fairytales. Likewise, ideologies don’t give themselves clauses that say they are the best, or that disagreers are demon possessed.

The lgbtq+ community, or anyone, believing in the separation of church and state does not inheritly mean they live religiously by their ideals.
The United Principalities of Infernia
Overview | The President | Embassy Programme | I’m A Proud Bisexual

"We Are What We Are"

Advocatus Diaboli: Entire Nation Rejoices In The Commencement Of Pride Month  Man Who Lost Arm By Plunging It Into Lava Complacently Refuses To Describe What Lava Feels Like  The Weather: Bright

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:The same reason you don't want Christianity in them.

Christianity, religion in general, as well as sexuality should be a home and/or church thing. All gay people ask is to be treated with dignity. That's not hard or a forcing of their lives on anyone. It's not ok to bully a child for being religious, but the same applies to a child who is gay. It's not ok to bully them.

I'm certainly not advocating picking on queers. I am talking about teaching about homosexuality in schools, or making laws pertaining to its recognition in matrimony etc.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Dylar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:11 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Dylar wrote:Well, what really happens is that I tell some of my co-workers that I want to be a Catholic priest whenever we get onto a discussion about our future careers. And that's when they ask me questions about the faith. But I feel that faith should be spread outside of church. After all, the purpose of religion is to gather as many followers as possible to worship deities. And they can't really grow if all their material is kept inside the church and not spread out to anyone else.

And that's the crux of the matter. In trying to eclipse them from the public (not saying you do that), many Christians aren't treating them with dignity. And in essence, that's all we ask. To be treated with dignity. You don't have to approve, but you don't have to be a dick about it (again, not calling you a dick- just a general statement).

Luckily you got some ammunition to throw at them if they happen to be Catholic
2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:12 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I'm certainly not advocating picking on queers. I am talking about teaching about homosexuality in schools, or making laws pertaining to its recognition in matrimony etc.

Why not? Saying that homosexuality shouldn't be a subject of bullying in schools is not bad. Likewise, no one is forcing churches to marry gay couples. But there's no reason to bar them from having a civil union. That affords them equal protections under law. This doesn't affect your belief system in any way.
Slava Ukraini

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Infernia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Ah, but your ideology and values do?

Not when they are all but proven to be untrue or based on fairytales. Likewise, ideologies don’t give themselves clauses that say they are the best, or that disagreers are demon possessed.

The lgbtq+ community, or anyone, believing in the separation of church and state does not inheritly mean they live religiously by their ideals.

I don't think you're demon possessed, I just think you want to censor God from politics and school.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote: I'm certainly not advocating picking on queers. I am talking about teaching about homosexuality in schools, or making laws pertaining to its recognition in matrimony etc.

Why not? Saying that homosexuality shouldn't be a subject of bullying in schools is not bad. Likewise, no one is forcing churches to marry gay couples. But there's no reason to bar them from having a civil union. That affords them equal protections under law. This doesn't affect your belief system in any way.

No one should be bullied in schools.

If gays are entitled to civil unions, why not threesomes?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:16 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Infernia wrote:Not when they are all but proven to be untrue or based on fairytales. Likewise, ideologies don’t give themselves clauses that say they are the best, or that disagreers are demon possessed.

I don't think you're demon possessed, I just think you want to censor God from politics and school.

God can be part of the curriculum in Catholic and other religious schools. But that's not necessary in public schools.
Slava Ukraini

Dylar
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I don't think you're demon possessed, I just think you want to censor God from politics and school.

God can be part of the curriculum in Catholic and other religious schools. But that's not necessary in public schools.

Not even comparative religions class?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Dylar wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Not even comparative religions class?

Are those part of the curriculum or in a history class? Because if it's about prayer, religious kids can pray silently.
Slava Ukraini

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I don't think you're demon possessed, I just think you want to censor God from politics and school.

It is if the community is Catholic
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:21 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Usually those kids are sent to Catholic school. *shrug*
Slava Ukraini

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:It is if the community is Catholic

Usually those kids are sent to Catholic school. *shrug*

Correct. Protestant communities are far more common, so Catholic minorities historically used private schools
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Firaxin
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Firaxin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:23 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Public institutions are not owned by the community for the community, they are owned by the state for the people. There is also likely a minority who may not be Catholic, and may not need to learn about it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General