NATION

PASSWORD

Mocking of the French in WW2

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm

Uxupox wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Negative ghost rider. Germany should have been squashed after WW1

hmm. something like this?

All lands to have permanent allied bases at the will of the victorious allies. Foreign policy for all these created states would have been non existent as well.

What a great (read: horrible) idea to implement in a time when political extremist movements were blooming left and right (pun completely intented).
Last edited by Baltenstein on Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Baltenstein wrote:I'm not even sure the whole "cheese eating surrender monkeys" thing dates back as far as World War 2. It would be rather absurd to think that the Anglo-American public, during a time when one European country after the other fell under German occupation in record time, would have specifically singled-out France for mockery over something that affected the rest of the continent as well. Personally, I believe the stereotype doesn't go further back than the 90ies, when the end of the Cold War (and the subsequent decay of the Soviet menace) spawned a broad re-newed interest in WW2 and its legacy.
As such, it's really just one more aspect of the "frenemy" opinion the French and the Anglo-Saxons have of each other, not much different than remarks about silly accents, cuisine, personal hygiene habits etc.

Well this francophile will not stop until England is rightful French clay. And yes I mean just England. The welsh can be left to their sheep, Nord Iron does whatever it does, and in regards to Scotland well the Romans had the right idea; build a wall and let them fucking be.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Wed May 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:I'm not even sure the whole "cheese eating surrender monkeys" thing dates back as far as World War 2. It would be rather absurd to think that the Anglo-American public, during a time when one European country after the other fell under German occupation in record time, would have specifically singled-out France for mockery over something that affected the rest of the continent as well. Personally, I believe the stereotype doesn't go further back than the 90ies, when the end of the Cold War (and the subsequent decay of the Soviet menace) spawned a broad re-newed interest in WW2 and its legacy.
As such, it's really just one more aspect of the "frenemy" opinion the French and the Anglo-Saxons have of each other, not much different than remarks about silly accents, cuisine, personal hygiene habits etc.

Well this francophile will not stop until England is rightful French clay. And yes I mean just England. The welsh can be left to their sheep, Nord Iron does whatever it does, and in regards to Scotland well the Romans had the right idea; build a wall and let them fucking be.

You had one job Bonaparte

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Wed May 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
Uxupox wrote:
hmm. something like this?

All lands to have permanent allied bases at the will of the victorious allies. Foreign policy for all these created states would have been non existent as well.

What a great (read: horrible) idea to implement in a time when political extremist movements were blooming left and right (pun completely intented).

just stomp em out with gas.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 pm

I think it came about because the US wanted to treat France like a collaborationist country for having thrown in the towel. The English were much better tempered and spare them our full fury in that regard. They did a good job during the campaign, bad luck, shitty English support and other things but before they shit the bed. Case Red a book that came out recently details it well.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm

The East Marches II wrote:

I think it came about because the US wanted to treat France like a collaborationist country for having thrown in the towel. The English were much better tempered and spare them our full fury in that regard. They did a good job during the campaign, bad luck, shitty English support and other things but before they shit the bed. Case Red a book that came out recently details it well.

If they didn't surrender, they saw what happened to Poland, which didn't surrender past 15 September 1939. It might have happened to them. They didn't want more people to die, so they surrendered.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 16, 2018 3:04 pm

De Gaul played a large part in making sure that France wasn’t seen as a collaborator
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Wed May 16, 2018 3:04 pm

I think it came about because the US wanted to treat France like a collaborationist country for having thrown in the towel.

Was that really a widespread notion during WW2 and its aftermath though? I mean, you had collaborationists in Norway, the Netherlands, Greece, Belgium and Denmark as well. None of these countries lasted longer against German invasion than France (except Norway who I believe lasted for two months before oficially surrendering) and some of them fell in mere days. You don't see any of them getting a snotty treatment in regards to their WW2 performance though.
I mean you could argue that those countries were never held to the same standards due to their small size, but I'd argue that, in the American imagination at least, France was not considered a "great power" playing in the league of Britain and Germany anymore by the 1940ies either.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 16, 2018 3:06 pm

The South Falls wrote:

If they didn't surrender, they saw what happened to Poland, which didn't surrender past 15 September 1939. It might have happened to them. They didn't want more people to die, so they surrendered.

It wasn’t so much the surrender but the fact that Vichy France was a thing. Nothing would have been said about being a collaborator if Vichy France hadn’t been established
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
I think it came about because the US wanted to treat France like a collaborationist country for having thrown in the towel.

Was that really a widespread notion during WW2 and its aftermath though? I mean, you had collaborationists in Norway, the Netherlands, Greece, Belgium and Denmark as well. None of this countries lasted longer against German invasion than France (except Norway who I believe lasted for two months before oficially surrendering) and some of them fell in mere days. You don't see any of them getting a snotty treatment in regards to their WW2 performance though.
I mean you could argue that those countries were never held to the same standards due to their small size, but I'd argue that, in the American imagination at least, France was not considered a "great power" playing in the league of Britain and Germany anymore by the 1940ies either.

Norway technically never surrendered. Only the government that the Nazis set up did
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Wed May 16, 2018 3:07 pm

The South Falls wrote:

The original plan was to give back the whole region of Francia(Minus Alsace -Lorraine) back to France once Operation Sealion was underway and have them participate against the Soviet Union but that never did quite happen.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Baltenstein wrote:

Was that really a widespread notion during WW2 and its aftermath though? I mean, you had collaborationists in Norway, the Netherlands, Greece, Belgium and Denmark as well. None of this countries lasted longer against German invasion than France (except Norway who I believe lasted for two months before oficially surrendering) and some of them fell in mere days. You don't see any of them getting a snotty treatment in regards to their WW2 performance though.

It was in our top leadership. The idea of their collapse being a meme stuck around for long after that. I agree that it was frankly ridiculous by the end of the war but as Uxpox point out, that was the Kraut plan and the French may have gone along with it during that phase of the war when our perceptions of it were being formed.

Communist Zombie Horde
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Zombie Horde » Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 pm

France was beaten down pretty easily, and the legitimate army fought for the Germans most of the war. Russia contributed far more to the allies, especially after they were back stabbed by Hitler. The French Resistance are probably the only ones not to be heavily mocked. Plus, the allies had to send many paratroopers into Franch. Lots of Allied frustration was caused by France’s pathetic loss. Even if they were good, it would of been worse.
While many European nations got taken over by Germany, the only thing gained by the Germans was gold. And while these Europeans had atrocities committed against them, France’s government got off fine. Everyone else hated the Nazis, but the cowardly French in charge bowed down to him with basically no resistance.
The mocking of France’s defeat is probably because they were cowards who saved themselves and let Hitler kill millions more easily. They probably also wanted Germany to invade Britain.
Good job France! Thanks for letting the Axis almost win Europe!
NS Parliament: Arnold Delbert; National People's Party

This nation is not entirely representative of my views. I've had some fun with the stats and I want to keep them that way.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Baltenstein wrote:

It was in our top leadership. The idea of their collapse being a meme stuck around for long after that. I agree that it was frankly ridiculous by the end of the war but as Uxpox point out, that was the Kraut plan and the French may have gone along with it during that phase of the war when our perceptions of it were being formed.

Well not all of them. A few of the African colonies said fuck that and kept on fighting as the Free French
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Communist Zombie Horde wrote:France was beaten down pretty easily, and the legitimate army fought for the Germans most of the war. Russia contributed far more to the allies, especially after they were back stabbed by Hitler. The French Resistance are probably the only ones not to be heavily mocked. Plus, the allies had to send many paratroopers into Franch. Lots of Allied frustration was caused by France’s pathetic loss. Even if they were good, it would of been worse.
While many European nations got taken over by Germany, the only thing gained by the Germans was gold. And while these Europeans had atrocities committed against them, France’s government got off fine. Everyone else hated the Nazis, but the cowardly French in charge bowed down to him with basically no resistance.
The mocking of France’s defeat is probably because they were cowards who saved themselves and let Hitler kill millions more easily. They probably also wanted Germany to invade Britain.

Um the French didn’t give up with no resistance. They unwisely left parts of the line unguarded and left little troops behind in the rest of France as they thought it would be a repeat of WWI
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Communist Zombie Horde wrote:France was beaten down pretty easily, and the legitimate army fought for the Germans most of the war. Russia contributed far more to the allies, especially after they were back stabbed by Hitler. The French Resistance are probably the only ones not to be heavily mocked. Plus, the allies had to send many paratroopers into Franch. Lots of Allied frustration was caused by France’s pathetic loss. Even if they were good, it would of been worse.

Um the French didn’t give up with no resistance. They unwisely left parts of the line unguarded and left little troops behind in the rest of France as they thought it would be a repeat of WWI

The French put all of their efforts into the Maginot Line, not remembering the lessons of the Schlieffen Plan during the First World War, i.e. the Germans tend to use Belgium as a side door into France, as well as cutting through the Ardennes.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quelsh
Envoy

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Quelsh » Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm

I think France is mocked for their performance in WWII because of the reasons you gave

Superior weapons and extensive preparation by a country that on paper should have beaten their enemies instead falls very quickly

I run an NS nation called Quelsh, which resides in the region of Australialia. A real shocker, I know.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed May 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Quelsh wrote:Superior weapons and extensive preparation by a country that on paper should have beaten their enemies instead falls very quickly

French weapons and preparation were far inferior to German weapons and preparation, it was one of the reasons that the Germans trampled all over them.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 16, 2018 3:30 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Um the French didn’t give up with no resistance. They unwisely left parts of the line unguarded and left little troops behind in the rest of France as they thought it would be a repeat of WWI

The French put all of their efforts into the Maginot Line, not remembering the lessons of the Schlieffen Plan during the First World War, i.e. the Germans tend to use Belgium as a side door into France, as well as cutting through the Ardennes.

Exactly hence why they where quickly defeated because they got the majority of their army surrounded at Dunkirk
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Wed May 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Um the French didn’t give up with no resistance. They unwisely left parts of the line unguarded and left little troops behind in the rest of France as they thought it would be a repeat of WWI

The Maginot Line was conceived specifically so that the Germans would use Belgium as a side door though. The French were counting on it.
What they didn't expect was German tank columns crossing the Ardennes and to be fair, it was a game that was considered insane by a large chunk of the German leadership as well.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Quelsh wrote:Superior weapons and extensive preparation by a country that on paper should have beaten their enemies instead falls very quickly

French weapons and preparation were far inferior to German weapons and preparation, it was one of the reasons that the Germans trampled all over them.

Though if they had said screw Belgium and went all the way to the sea with the heavy fortifications then WWII would have been a lot different
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Wed May 16, 2018 3:34 pm

In this I have to disagree. The French were far better prepared and equipped. The Germans just used their gear better. They made a gamble and the French gamble did not pay off.

Luminumbra
Envoy

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Luminumbra » Wed May 16, 2018 3:36 pm

The french made the maginot line, thinking a second war would be like WWI, which shows their not cowardly, but very militarily-inclined mindset. The germans just flew over though.
A 6.3 civilization, according to this index.
Magiscience/FanT/FT
Theme/Aesthetic: Think of Theatre Masks, jewelry and cult-like robes, and make a sci-fi country out of it.
Government: Think democratically elected pope, except it's an unorthodox cult.
People: Traditional, Reserved, Soft-speakers.
Elites: Fine wines, wax candles, hallways of gold, violet, ruby, emerald. Parties inspired by the Greek God Dionysus. A conservative, elegant, mardi gras all day, every day.
Common Folk: A contrast to the above--Dark, medieval style alleys. Small, cold, metallic apartments, prone to collapse on terrestrial worlds, or platforms prone to falling to the depths on jovian ones.

Lumin Intergalactic Starport
The National Anthem-Oath of Sacrifice

Communist Zombie Horde
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Zombie Horde » Wed May 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The French put all of their efforts into the Maginot Line, not remembering the lessons of the Schlieffen Plan during the First World War, i.e. the Germans tend to use Belgium as a side door into France, as well as cutting through the Ardennes.

The Maginot Line was conceived specifically so that the Germans would use Belgium as a side door though. The French were counting on it.
What they didn't expect was German tank columns crossing the Ardennes and to be fair, it was a game that was considered insane by a large chunk of the German leadership as well.

Actually, France wanted to build it on all sides, but Belgium didn’t allow them. Had they labeled it a fence and garrison, they would of done better.
NS Parliament: Arnold Delbert; National People's Party

This nation is not entirely representative of my views. I've had some fun with the stats and I want to keep them that way.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed May 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Luminumbra wrote:The french made the maginot line, thinking a second war would be like WWI, which shows their not cowardly, but very militarily-inclined mindset. The germans just flew over though.

The Germans didn’t fly over it but went around it. And they went through the Arden’s which where thought to be impassable
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General