NATION

PASSWORD

2018 FIFA World Cup Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

World Cup?

Great World Cup!
50%
Good World Cup!
23%
Meh
10%
Bad World Cup!
2%
Awful World Cup!
15%

Total votes : 48

The Transhuman Union
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Transhuman Union » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:47 am

Quite eventful first half with chances.
A big, 1.8 M blob filled with joy and enthusiasm, with a small dash of ingenuity combined with a youthful, healthy dose of idealism.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am

The Belgians have a strong defensive line. However, I think the French can break through in the second half.

Riemstagrad
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Riemstagrad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:56 am

The French have a strong defensive line. However, I think the Belgians can break through in the second half.

:p

It's all on a knife's edge. good game so far.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Lloris and Courtois have both been absolutely solid thus far. This match may come down to which of them gets caught out of position first.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

The Transhuman Union
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Transhuman Union » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Good.
A big, 1.8 M blob filled with joy and enthusiasm, with a small dash of ingenuity combined with a youthful, healthy dose of idealism.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:10 pm

There it is. I hope Belgium can tie it back up.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

The Transhuman Union
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Transhuman Union » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm

Mbappe just keeps missing those chances

Basran
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Basran » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm

France with a well fought-for lead :lol:

Allez les Bleus!!!
The Transhuman Union wrote:Mbappe just keeps missing those chances

Looks like he's only human after all, but yeah
Last edited by Basran on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Eh, it's not over until it's over, but Belgium are starting to look as though they're out of their depth here.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Belgium showing signs of life, but Pogba is playing some incredible defense today.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Basran
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Basran » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Fellaini not booked? Clear violent conduct, he can fuck off.

Mbappe is the best troll, timewasting. Belgique are getting angry.
Last edited by Basran on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Transhuman Union
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Transhuman Union » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 pm

French are going to the finals.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:53 pm

What a classless move by Mbappe on that throw. There's no place for those shenanigans.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:55 pm

YES!

WHAT A GLORIOUS VICTORY!

Some of those corner dances/duels though... hilarious
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basran
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Basran » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Salty Belgique, the bandit state :lol:

It was a good game, the antics towards the end were hilarious.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Croatia is our last hope for a new winner, but in honesty, it's France's to lose now.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Well deserved win for France, but their time-wasting antics at the end irked me extremely.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Basran
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Basran » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:04 pm

Idzequitch wrote:...but their time-wasting antics at the end irked me extremely.

Name one team in the lead by 1 goal that doesn't time waste at the end of a knockout game that's hanging by a thread.

Pro tip: You can't.

Sure, time-wasting is a highly subjective and controversial tactic but at the end of the day it worked.
Last edited by Basran on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Idzequitch wrote:Well deserved win for France, but their time-wasting antics at the end irked me extremely.

It was absolute tactical/strategic brilliance

this is on the same level as the implementation of Blitzkrieg by the Germans in WWII...

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Phew, eternal shame averted.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Basran wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:...but their time-wasting antics at the end irked me extremely.

Name one team in the lead by 1 goal that doesn't time waste at the end of a knockout game that's hanging by a thread.

Pro tip: You can't.

Sure, time-wasting is a highly subjective and controversial tactic but at the end of the day it worked.

There's time wasting, and there's deliberately dribbling the ball away from the location of a throw. I get it. It makes sense to waste time. But there's a point where it's incredibly poor sportsmanship. Mbappe surely crossed that line. It's ashame that yellow card means absolutely nothing.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Riemstagrad
Ambassador

Left-Leaning College State

Postby Riemstagrad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:42 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:Phew, eternal shame averted.

Next time i'll cheer for Holland (whenever they're not playing Belgium..)

France did what they had to do, excellent defensive play. They kept De Bruyne and Lukaku out of the game. Belgium missed Meunier on the right (and Chadli on the left...) Moussa Dembélé played a terrible game.

Anyway, France didn't sparkle with adventurous football, but it was still an interesting game to watch. You could clearly see how changing tactics had an impact on the game.

Football comes down to playing good and having luck. France had both today. Belgium had both in the BRA-BEL game.
Can't see Croatia or England stopping this France from winning this cup. England should play their B-team tomorrow so we can finally get that ENG-BEL rematch and England can dream forever about what might have happened if they went for the win in CRO-ENG.

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:<expletive deleted>

With you there, that match was a total shower after 60 mins.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Viva La France!

Next up: the English make the finals, only to lose 7-1 to the French :P

Edit: semi political commentary in spoiler:

Also, good job Croatia: https://sputniknews.com/worldcup-2018-a ... d-cup-ban/

The Croatian Football Federation (HNS) has suspended coaching assistant Ognjen Vukojevic from his duties at this summer's FIFA World Cup in Russia, the federation announced on its official website on Monday. "I understand and respect the Croatian Football Federation's decision, I don't want to burden the national team ahead of the World Cup semi-finals. There was no political message in my statement. But I realize that it can be interpreted differently. I regret it and apologize to the Russian fans if they understood my statement in this way," Vukojevic said as quoted by HNS.

The HNS has since apologized for the Croatian delegation members' behavior, and Vida also expressed regret for his words... On Sunday, FIFA's Disciplinary Committee issued a warning to Vida, but did not ban the 29-year-old Besiktas player from the World Cup semi-finals.

Naturally, Ukraine's idiots decided to comment on it: https://www.thestar.com/sports/worldcup ... icial.html

The Ukraine Football Federation has offered to pay a fine imposed on a Croatia official for making a pro-Ukraine video at the World Cup. Soccer’s international governing body has fined Ognjen Vukojevic 15,000 Swiss francs (US$15,150) for “unsporting behaviour” after he and Croatia defender Domagoj Vida... Russia annexed the Crimean peninsula from Ukraine in 2014 and political tensions remain high. UFF president Andriy Pavelko, wearing a Croatia shirt and scarf, tells Ukrainian broadcaster 112 that he and other members of the UFF management offered to pay the fine and help Vukojevic with legal costs if he wants to appeal the ruling. The Croatia soccer federation has already removed Vukojevic from its World Cup delegation. Vida was let off with an official warning and no match sanction, leaving him available to play in Wednesday’s World Cup semifinal against England.

The ruling was FIFA's, not Russia's. But if Ukraine wants to challenge FIFA, perhaps FIFA can give Crimea special status, and Crimea can then field it's own football team, like Taiwan does. Just saying :P
Last edited by Shofercia on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General