NATION

PASSWORD

2018 FIFA World Cup Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

World Cup?

Great World Cup!
50%
Good World Cup!
23%
Meh
10%
Bad World Cup!
2%
Awful World Cup!
15%

Total votes : 48

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:23 am

Relikai wrote:
DesAnges wrote:I assume you mean focal point, rather than target man? Cause target man is not an adequate description of Timo Werner.

< Cause target man is not an adequate description of Timo Werner. >

Exactly.

Germany performed well with a Target Man. Is Timo Werner the best the country has, perhaps one who plays as a smaller pacey attacker with technique easily snuffed out in a crowded box?

Germany needs steel up front. They have plenty of playmakers, plenty of creativity which did not appear this World Cup. They need steel, raw pace (Sane), and strength to power through a bunch of opponents and exploit space to score in. Diego Costa and Romelu Lukaku are fine examples of what a finesse side needs. The Premier League has shown the world over 3-4 seasons how to force silky sides to the flank in disciplined boxes, and Germany could not power through.

Germany haven't used a target man since Carsten Jancker retired 16 years ago. They won a World Cup 4 years ago with Miroslav Klose up front. They don't need a target man.

What they do need is a striker who actually wants to be in the box, I'll concede there. But hanging around in the penalty area doesn't make someone a target man.

Edit: I suppose you could argue either way on Mario Gomez but I'm inclined to not describe him as such despite his height. He has much more to his game than just being a target man.
Last edited by DesAnges on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Cryptomypt
Attaché

Founded: May 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cryptomypt » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:26 am

Relikai wrote:EDIT : Did Ozil play? Don't recall seeing him on the pitch.

he started. he must've went to take a piss the entire game because i didn't see him either.
views:
PRO: multiculturalism, diversity, LGBT rights, pragmatism, internationalism, freedom of speech, environmentalism, death penalty, spirituality, satanism, religious liberty
ANTI: fascism, marxism/communism, anarchism, extremism, bigotry, racism + supremacy, guns, democratic party, republican party, progressivism, autocracy, atheism, organized religion, drugs, palestine, israel, nationalism, abortion

about me:
a wilting flower. new jersey. african/european. somewhat literate in twi.

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 am

DesAnges wrote:
Relikai wrote:

Exactly.

Germany performed well with a Target Man. Is Timo Werner the best the country has, perhaps one who plays as a smaller pacey attacker with technique easily snuffed out in a crowded box?

Germany needs steel up front. They have plenty of playmakers, plenty of creativity which did not appear this World Cup. They need steel, raw pace (Sane), and strength to power through a bunch of opponents and exploit space to score in. Diego Costa and Romelu Lukaku are fine examples of what a finesse side needs. The Premier League has shown the world over 3-4 seasons how to force silky sides to the flank in disciplined boxes, and Germany could not power through.

Germany haven't used a target man since Carsten Jancker retired 16 years ago. They won a World Cup 4 years ago with Miroslav Klose up front. They don't need a target man.

What they do need is a striker who actually wants to be in the box, I'll concede there. But hanging around in the penalty area doesn't make someone a target man.

Really? Miroslav Klose is their legitimate target man as identified in his role by plenty of people. Lacking the finesse possessed by Mueller/Ozil/Gotze, he and Podolski were the steel in the past teams, Klose being the one they'd trust to find in the box most of the time.

https://thelaziali.com/2018/03/06/legen ... lav-klose/
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-German-str ... -Messi-are
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2105 ... rds#slide3

Edit - Well, Gomez... Lacks that quality of finishing although he did get shots on target. However, SoTs =/= goals unfortunately for the man. He's like the Olivier Giroud of Germany, but was unable to make an impact when goalies become god-tier against Germany.
Last edited by Relikai on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to be legitimately recognised in NS? Be a proper Roleplayer.
In a community where knowledge should be used to uplift the teachable and be used as an interest instead of a necessity, the arrogant abuse of knowledge is interesting to watch.

Yaana Noore
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaana Noore » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:32 am

Relikai wrote:
DesAnges wrote:I assume you mean focal point, rather than target man? Cause target man is not an adequate description of Timo Werner.

Exactly.

EDIT : Did Ozil play? Don't recall seeing him on the pitch.

Considering Diego Costa is a big reason why they did so poorly in 2014 and is again inhibiting their attack this is rubbish. He inhibits how Spain play. Not even Spanish anyway so should bugger off.

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:35 am

Yaana Noore wrote:
Relikai wrote:

Exactly.

EDIT : Did Ozil play? Don't recall seeing him on the pitch.

Considering Diego Costa is a big reason why they did so poorly in 2014 and is again inhibiting their attack this is rubbish. He inhibits how Spain play. Not even Spanish anyway so should bugger off.

And Klose didn't really shine in Semis/Finals until the 2010 generation matured into winners, and then losers in 2018. Klose should bugger off too from the start I suppose 8)
Last edited by Relikai on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to be legitimately recognised in NS? Be a proper Roleplayer.
In a community where knowledge should be used to uplift the teachable and be used as an interest instead of a necessity, the arrogant abuse of knowledge is interesting to watch.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:35 am

Relikai wrote:
DesAnges wrote:Germany haven't used a target man since Carsten Jancker retired 16 years ago. They won a World Cup 4 years ago with Miroslav Klose up front. They don't need a target man.

Really? Miroslav Klose is their legitimate target man as identified in his role by plenty of people. Lacking the finesse possessed by Mueller/Ozil/Gotze, he and Podolski were the steel in the past teams, Klose being the one they'd trust to find in the box most of the time.

https://thelaziali.com/2018/03/06/legen ... lav-klose/
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-German-str ... -Messi-are
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2105 ... rds#slide3

Edit - Well, Gomez... Lacks that quality of finishing although he did get shots on target. However, SoTs =/= goals unfortunately for the man. He's like the Olivier Giroud of Germany, but was unable to make an impact when goalies become god-tier against Germany.

I'd personally go for the poacher description for Klose with added physicality but I suppose you could argue either way. The Bleacher Report one seems to be using target man as code for focal point anyway.

Neither Diego Costa nor Lukaku are target men, incidentally.

But yeah. Germany will be fine without a target man. What is of more concern is the poor form of senior players.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Mint Jelly
Attaché

Founded: Apr 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mint Jelly » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:Fun fact, all world cup matches of Germany when I was inside Germany were lost by them (I was in NL last weekend).

A SPY!

THE SHEEP IS A SPY!

SHEAR IT!

And then,....

Give him to me. :twisted:

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:Fun fact, all world cup matches of Germany when I was inside Germany were lost by them (I was in NL last weekend).

A SPY!

THE SHEEP IS A SPY!

SHEAR IT!

Guess Blaat was at home in '74 then. >:(
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Yaana Noore
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaana Noore » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:55 am

Relikai wrote:
Yaana Noore wrote:

And Klose didn't really shine in Semis/Finals until the 2010 generation matured into winners, and then losers in 2018. Klose should bugger off too from the start I suppose 8)

Makes no sense.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:07 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:A SPY!

THE SHEEP IS A SPY!

SHEAR IT!

Guess Blaat was at home in '74 then. >:(

Now, now. You can't blame Blaat for everything.

You also lost the world cup final in '78 and '10, after all.

Just in case you forgot~

San Regada
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby San Regada » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:36 am

1-0 Brazil, 1-0 Switzerland.

My Group E predictions are becoming more of a reality.
<3 BaD mAmI <3
Incorrect spelling... I have Santa Regada for a reason!
Snapchat: You will never know
Discord: TG me for it
Anything Else: See above
Call me R/a/e/yna
Viejo Gringoland (UK)
Soy Colombiana
R E P Ú B L I C A  D E  S A N  R E G A D A
Adelante, madre-patria!—Forward, motherland!

IIWiki||Placeholder||Placeholder||Placeholder

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:39 am

DESTROY THE SERBS

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:41 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:Guess Blaat was at home in '74 then. >:(

Now, now. You can't blame Blaat for everything.

You also lost the world cup final in '78 and '10, after all.

Just in case you forgot~

Can't remember any German involvement in those finales so no jynxing sheep shenanigans :kiss:
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

San Regada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby San Regada » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:42 am

MERIZoC wrote:DESTROY THE SERBS

Great minds think alike :lol:

I prefer Brazil & Switzerland way more... even Costa Rica
Last edited by San Regada on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<3 BaD mAmI <3
Call me R/a/e/yna
Viejo Gringoland (UK)
Soy Colombiana

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:51 am

Fuck off Brazil, you Joga Bonito wankers. We need a new winner this time.
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:55 am

if mexico beat sweden

it wouldnt been mexico and korea going up and sweden and germany eliminated damn
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

True Alimeria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby True Alimeria » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Germany lost and dropped out of World Cup.

F
Motrialh Petalumer §2: "You are Alimerian. Fear nothing and no one but your government and God."#TheTruthIsAlimeria
Read new factbook: August 17th, 1999

Alimerian glory grows with strength

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Tobiasia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tobiasia » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:11 pm

I don’t care how England does now, we’ve beaten the Germans
British, liberal, Labour Party member

Join World Conference!

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:13 pm

Tobiasia wrote:I don’t care how England does now, we’ve beaten the Germans

In typical British fashion, by letting your allies do all for the work for you.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

San Regada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby San Regada » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Never saw this coming, but Costa Rica have somehow drawn level... its now Switzerland 1-1 Costa Rica :shock:

This could give Serbia a life line if the Costa Ricans some how put another one in and hold out, but Serbia need to draw with Brazil.

Edit: Nah, based Brazil doubled up their lead now. Brazil 2-0 Serbia. I guess its time to say goodbye to the Serbs.
Last edited by San Regada on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
<3 BaD mAmI <3
Call me R/a/e/yna
Viejo Gringoland (UK)
Soy Colombiana

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:51 pm

England Belgium to devolve into a mass brawl in order to lose points in the fair play table.
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

San Regada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby San Regada » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Costa Rica, just wow! Very impressive performance, they've never really given up. 2-2 was the deserved scoreline.

Anyway, bye bye Serbia.
Last edited by San Regada on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
<3 BaD mAmI <3
Call me R/a/e/yna
Viejo Gringoland (UK)
Soy Colombiana

San Regada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby San Regada » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:57 pm

What's with the underdogs that are already guaranteed to go home, suddenly turning up against a challenging/superior side in the last game?

Saudi Arabia, Morocco, South Korea, Peru, and now Costa Rica. Here's to hoping that Panama can get something out of the game with Tunisia.
Last edited by San Regada on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<3 BaD mAmI <3
Call me R/a/e/yna
Viejo Gringoland (UK)
Soy Colombiana

Tobiasia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tobiasia » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:13 pm

San Regada wrote:What's with the underdogs that are already guaranteed to go home, suddenly turning up against a challenging/superior side in the last game?

Saudi Arabia, Morocco, South Korea, Peru, and now Costa Rica. Here's to hoping that Panama can get something out of the game with Tunisia.

You’re forgetting Russia
British, liberal, Labour Party member

Join World Conference!

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Although the result didn't fit my personal bias, the Serbia-Brazil game was a nice watch - both teams did a good job most of the time. Unlike that, Germany-South Korea wasn't any fun to watch for me - it was boring the first 80 minutes and terrible after that.
This will turn Germany into the laughstock of the world (my comment after determining this: "Hell, even in Antarctica, the penguins will laugh their arses off about us!"). I'm sure Löw will be gone very soon.
Now, since my favorites are out, whom to root for? I'm tending to pick Switzerland right now.
Last edited by Lillorainen on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General