NATION

PASSWORD

112 operator makes fun of French mother who died

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

112 operator makes fun of French mother who died

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed May 09, 2018 10:01 am

The BBC would like to apologise for the next OP's sause

A recording of an emergency service operator mocking a young mother, who died hours after her call was ignored, has sparked outrage in France.

Naomi Musenga, 22, called Strasbourg's ambulance service with severe stomach pain and said: "I'm going to die".

"You'll definitely die one day, like everyone else," the worker replied.

The woman eventually called another service and was taken to a hospital but died after a heart attack. The health minister has ordered an investigation.

In the three-minute audio, Musenga - in a very weak voice - appeals for help and struggles to describe her pain while speaking with the ambulance service (Samu).

The operator, apparently in an annoyed voice, replies: "If you don't tell me what's going on, I'll hang up!"

"I'm in a lot of pain," the woman replies.

The worker then tells her to call a doctor, and gives her the number for a different service, SOS Médecins, which sends out doctors instead of an ambulance.

"Help me, I'm very ill," the woman repeats. "I can't help you, I don't know what you've got," answers the operator, giving the other number again, adding: "I can't do it for you."

On front line with ambulance service
How a speedy emergency services app is saving lives
The recording also has an exchange between the operator and another staff member making fun of Musenga.

The woman eventually managed to call SOS Médecins and, after a five-hour wait, was taken to a hospital by the ambulance service.

After suffering a stroke, she was transferred to the intensive care unit but died hours later of "multiple organ failure due to a hemorrhagic shock", according to Le Monde newspaper (in French).

Skip Facebook post by Justice pour Naomi Musenga
End of Facebook post by Justice pour Naomi Musenga
The case dates back to December but only came to light when a recording of the call, obtained by the victim's family, was published by a local website.

Days after the transcript of the phone-call became known, Strasbourg University Hospitals has said it is provisionally suspending the operator who took the call.

The hospital said initial inquiries had led it to believe that the "treatment of the call had not conformed to good practice". The local prosecutor has opened an investigation.

#JusticePourNaomi
Reacting on Tuesday, Health Minister Agnès Buzyn said on Twitter she was "deeply outraged" by the case and requested an investigation from the government agency in charge of health and social affairs, Igas.

"I would like to assure her family of my full support... I promise her family will get all the information".

Image Copyright @agnesbuzyn@AGNESBUZYN
Naomi Musenga's elder sister, Louange, said the way she had been treated was shocking. "She was alone, she said she was going to die, her sheets were filthy, no-one should die in these conditions."

Describing Musenga as "bright, strong, courageous", she added: "Naomi, as a human being... simply had the right to be rescued, to be cared for. This must not happen again."

You might also be interested in:
London ranked top city for students
Potential new cure found for baldness
Meghan Markle waxwork revealed by Tussauds
On Facebook, a page Justice pour Naomi Musenga (Justice for Naomi Musenga) has called for the "truth and justice", while a hashtag #JusticePourNaomi has been used hundreds of times on Twitter, with some accusing the Samu of "negligence" and "racism".

The case has also highlighted what the head of France's association of emergency doctors sees as a crisis in the country's ambulance service.

While condemning what happened in Strasbourg as shocking, Patrick Pelloux told Le Parisien newspaper the number of ambulance emergencies had mushroomed from eight million in 1988 to 21 million today, while the number of calls had trebled.

There were carers who were "exhausted, stressed and burnt out, who become detached from the patient's suffering," he said.

A former Samu worker pointed out that out of 100 calls, only 10 to 20 were real emergencies, with the majority being people who are drunk, anxious or want someone to talk to. "We're constantly afraid of being wrong."

An entirely horrible event that could have been prevented.
I suggest additional training for operator's to take everycall seriously.

What say you NSG?
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Wed May 09, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:I suggest additional training for operator's to take everycall seriously.

Except as the article says, "A former Samu worker pointed out that out of 100 calls, only 10 to 20 were real emergencies, with the majority being people who are drunk, anxious or want someone to talk to. "We're constantly afraid of being wrong."

Taking every call seriously would mean only a fraction of ambulances going to those who need help.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Wed May 09, 2018 10:06 am

Lawsuit.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed May 09, 2018 10:29 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:I suggest additional training for operator's to take everycall seriously.

Except as the article says, "A former Samu worker pointed out that out of 100 calls, only 10 to 20 were real emergencies, with the majority being people who are drunk, anxious or want someone to talk to. "We're constantly afraid of being wrong."

Taking every call seriously would mean only a fraction of ambulances going to those who need help.

Wait, why are we not charging these other 80-90?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Wed May 09, 2018 10:34 am

Galloism wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:

Wait, why are we not charging these other 80-90?

Likely because they've spent everything on booze.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Wait, why are we not charging these other 80-90?

Likely because they've spent everything on booze.

I meant "charge" as in "prosecute", but that was a fair play on the field.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed May 09, 2018 10:39 am

France has 911 operators? :o

I thought the alarm number there was 112.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Keskinen
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Keskinen » Wed May 09, 2018 10:43 am

Petrolheadia wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this way. There are entirely too many times someone abuses the 911 system to get a medical taxi ride to the hospital or as a way to get somewhere else near the hospital. Operators are burned out by volume of calls as it is, this "taking every call seriously" thing already happens, there does however come a point that you realize who ever is on the other end isn't actually in need of help, they're just crowding a line.
THE ROYAL SOVEREIGN MONARCHY OF KESKINEN\\//Kuninkaallinen suvereeni monarkia Keskinen
A Modern Tech nation based on Finland with German and some American influence.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 am

That is enough explanation for me. She must've been unhealthy if she is having heart problems and strokes all the time. She was going to die anyways, so not worth saving. Hell, if I had problems like that; I'd be open to letting myself expire. It is better than a lifetime of medical debts.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Wed May 09, 2018 10:50 am

Saiwania wrote:That is enough explanation for me. She must've been unhealthy if she is having heart problems and strokes all the time. She was going to die anyways, so not worth saving. Hell, if I had problems like that; I'd be open to letting myself expire. It is better than a lifetime of medical debts.

It's France, not the US, they actually have the courtesy not to leave fellow countrymen dead.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed May 09, 2018 10:52 am

Petrasylvania wrote:Lawsuit.

And jail time for the operator.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed May 09, 2018 10:53 am

The blAAtschApen wrote:France has 911 operators? :o

Yes it apparently is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ne_numbers

Op is wrong.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Wed May 09, 2018 10:57 am

"You'll definitely die one day, like everyone else,"

#justexistientialistthings

Shitpost aside, this is terrible. Truly awful. She should be fired, but will the unions allow it?
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Wed May 09, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed May 09, 2018 10:59 am

Petrolheadia wrote:It's France, not the US, they actually have the courtesy not to leave fellow countrymen dead.

If they keep giving people unlimited medical services as opposed to only French people, then of course it is going to go bankrupt. All the Algerians, Moroccans, and etc. going into France- are no good for them.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am

Saiwania wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:It's France, not the US, they actually have the courtesy not to leave fellow countrymen dead.

If they keep giving people unlimited medical services as opposed to only French people, then of course it is going to go bankrupt. All the Algerians, Moroccans, and etc. going into France- are no good for them.

If I look at the topic, they'd be all calling the wrong number anyway.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed May 09, 2018 11:17 am

STOP THE PRESSES

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Wed May 09, 2018 11:19 am

Saiwania wrote:

We did try restricting services in the world to the white race. It worked so well, we stopped.

Also, remember that there are actual dead people behind your savings.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Wed May 09, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Second Helghan Empire
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Second Helghan Empire » Wed May 09, 2018 11:38 am

I am a 911 operater in the states, the biggest surprise in this for me was learning they use some kind of on call doctor that SOS Médecins, our center sends EMS even if the caller doesn't want them, if they called 911 or whatever france has for 911 then it's worth sending someone to check. Everyday all day here you hear better safe than sorry. Very surprised by that. Furthermore though they should have some sort of transfer for calls so they can go straight to the SOS Médecins rather than leave that to the caller.

As for how the operator handled things, she would be lucky to be retrained, but in my opinion should be fired. Her response saying the woman would definitely die one day would be more than enough to show she is in the wrong field.
Well now, that hibernation has gotten boring, daddy is back again.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed May 09, 2018 11:50 am

I want to give that operator a promotion or at least keep them in that job because lets face it, they were keeping it real. I honestly believe that if an ambulance was sent, that they still wouldn't have made it.
Sith Acolyte

United Islamic Commonwealth
Senator

Founded: Mar 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Islamic Commonwealth » Wed May 09, 2018 12:01 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

If I look at the topic, they'd be all calling the wrong number anyway.

You're not going to let that one go, are you? XD

Saiwania wrote:I want to give that operator a promotion or at least keep them in that job because lets face it, they were keeping it real. I honestly believe that if an ambulance was sent, that they still wouldn't have made it.

It's a damn good thing that the medical field isn't filled with more people such as yourself. You can have a heart attack and still survive. Not to mention that you don't need to fucking belittle and mock the person calling with an emergency. Fucking disgusting. Congrats. This is the most disgusting thing I have read on NSG yet today.
The United Islamic Commonwealth | Islamic republic | Factbook
Population: 135,931,000 | Area: 2,663,077 km² | Location: Middle East
Excidium Planetis Index: Tier 6; Level 0; Level 5 | Current year: 2020
Supreme Leader: Abbas Mosuli
President: Haashid al-Abdulla
Former Nizari Ismaili Muslim living in the US.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed May 09, 2018 12:13 pm

United Islamic Commonwealth wrote:It's a damn good thing that the medical field isn't filled with more people such as yourself. You can have a heart attack and still survive. Not to mention that you don't need to fucking belittle and mock the person calling with an emergency. Fucking disgusting. Congrats. This is the most disgusting thing I have read on NSG yet today.

If someone has a heart attack, chances are they will again later. The medical field being full of foolish ideals is partially why it is more expensive than it has to be. I'm more in favor of the Cuban approach to medical care, which is presumably to prevent more than it is to cure; after a person is too unhealthy to function well.
Sith Acolyte

Second Helghan Empire
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Second Helghan Empire » Wed May 09, 2018 12:15 pm

Thats true it's possible that she wouldn't have made it either way, but treating a person calling for emergency medical that way and then her having to wait, what was it 5 hours before she could get the help required? Thats deserving immediate termination. Not that it matters as that was obviously a joke or a trolling comment on your part.
Well now, that hibernation has gotten boring, daddy is back again.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed May 09, 2018 12:16 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:France has 911 operators? :o

Yes it apparently is.

Op is wrong.

Sorry sheep. I'm not good with france numbers

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed May 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Second Helghan Empire wrote:Not that it matters as that was obviously a joke or a trolling comment on your part.

No, I mean every bit. I know enough people who have enough bad experiences with hospitals and medical professionals to know that more often than not, it just outright isn't worthwhile to get any help from them. Doctors want to charge you $300+ just to see them and you don't get much value from the money you give them. People in the medical field think they're entitled to six figure earnings just because their education is ridiculously expensive.

Medical providers and insurers are the enemy so far as I'm concerned. To remain rich and not go bankrupt, you have to find ways to not require their help ever, simply put. If your country has as big of a clusterfuck as the US has, with its medical sector.

Course, I have no experience with what a universal healthcare system is really like, but the trade off is that it comes with a much higher tax burden generally speaking. You get all sorts of people who get medical service whom you don't want them to get anything such as illegal immigrants.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed May 09, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Wed May 09, 2018 12:27 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:
Yes it apparently is.

Op is wrong.

Sorry sheep. I'm not good with france numbers

You must really hate the metric system then.
All shall tremble before me

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General