NATION

PASSWORD

Soccer mom?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Soccer mom?

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:39 am

Smunkeeville wrote:I want to know what's supposedly so wrong about them though? I mean like, they pay attention to their kids and take care of them and stuff? This is evil? :palm:

It may have something to do with those that go over board such as some of the more extreme soccer mums verbally abusing referees at sport simply because the referee made a decision against their child or team.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 am

Levity wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:I'm still confused about what a "soccer mom" is.

Define please. :eyebrow:

Well, a working mom is a woman who is a mother and works for a living.

A single mom is a woman who is a mother and is not in a relationship.

Therefore, a soccer mom is a woman who is a mother and who plays soccer.

But for all this "soccer mom" talk, I've yet to see a signup sheet at my parks and rec department for the middle-aged women's league. My bet is, they don't really exist.

Ooooh, I think I might be a martini-mom, or wait, a baseball mom......what if you just watch baseball? Maybe I'm beer/spectator mom. Hmm... it's so confusing.
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:42 am

Smunkeeville wrote:Ooooh, I think I might be a martini-mom, or wait, a baseball mom......what if you just watch baseball? Maybe I'm beer/spectator mom. Hmm... it's so confusing.

Not a margarita mum?
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:43 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:Ooooh, I think I might be a martini-mom, or wait, a baseball mom......what if you just watch baseball? Maybe I'm beer/spectator mom. Hmm... it's so confusing.

Not a margarita mum?

Only during the summer. Oh wait! I must be piña colada mom! :clap: You've found my identity for me!
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Levity
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Levity » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:44 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Levity wrote:But for all this "soccer mom" talk, I've yet to see a signup sheet at my parks and rec department for the middle-aged women's league. My bet is, they don't really exist.

The female equivalent of my soccer club actually has quite a few mothers on their teams.

Just because your government department (if that is what it is and why they are the ones organising it and not some league or association is strange but off topic) does not mean it doesn't happen.

So, when you hear the term "soccer mom" you instantly think of adult athletes?

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:45 am

Smunkeeville wrote:Only during the summer. Oh wait! I must be piña colada mom! :clap: You've found my identity for me!

Yay, of course if we go off what the media call a margarita mum basically when a bunch of mothers get together once a week or so in the afternoon and drink margaritas or something.

But then while I usually despise media identity's and titles, I don't understand why you try and redefine what the word is.

DBC26-Winner

Kadinichung
Secretary

Founded: May 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kadinichung » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:46 am

TheCapitalWasteland wrote:I went to the most reliable dictionary to define what this unheard of species of woman-only creatures are.

A usually white, middle-classed woman. She drives an SUV. Her kids are her "little angels" and are more important than anything or anyone else in the world and deserve to play game demos or do anything else more than everyone. She doesn't let her "little angels" watch TV with "naughty words" such as crap, pussywillow, and pants. Her kids aren't allowed to go on the internet because it's all about sex, raping little children, buying useless crap, and getting scammed. She strictly enforces the ESRB ratings systems; by that I mean makes up her own: EC = 10 and under, E = 11 and up, T and above = "Not in my house" (Movies: PG and under = Only movies you can see). Anything that doesn't say they're Christian is automatically Satanic; this includes 99.998% of music. Her children participate in as many after-school activities as possible and are usually at day camp during the summer.

Soccer moms are usually seen screaming at people, getting into car accidents, and breaking copies of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and refusing to pay for them.

Thats what they are. Only some of them now drive those stupid Priuses aswell.
Economic Left/Right: -0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

Brutanion
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Brutanion » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:46 am

Smunkeeville wrote:Oh, um......I live in the city and drive my kids to baseball and golf, so I guess I'm not one. :unsure:

I want to know what's supposedly so wrong about them though? I mean like, they pay attention to their kids and take care of them and stuff? This is evil? :palm:

In one use, it can mean a woman who is self centred about her children.
Thus her children can do no wrong and are in the centre of the universe, not her. She expects everyone else to accept this too. Her vehicle of choice is a SUV, called a Chelsea Tractor in England, because killing other people's children in an accident doesn't matter as long as her own, more important, children survive unscathed.

In another use it can mean a woman with an active role in her child's life but, to those outside her social circle, little evidence of a life of her own. She lives vicariously through her children.

In a more positive use, it means a woman who drives her children to school, etc, and has a definite interest in their lives and activities.

Type one is a horrible person to know and her children end up selfish. Type two is hard to know unless your children are friends with her children or you are one of her few long term friends. Type three is as potentially likeable as anyone else.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:47 am

Levity wrote:So, when you hear the term "soccer mom" you instantly think of adult athletes?

Only if I was going to go along the definition that a soccer mum was a mum who played soccer. You said you would bet that this type of person doesn't exist, I am simply telling you that they do.

DBC26-Winner

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:50 am

TheCapitalWasteland wrote:Her kids aren't allowed to go on the internet because it's all about sex, raping little children, buying useless crap, and getting scammed.

There's more on the internet? :eyebrow:
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:52 am

Brutanion wrote:In one use, it can mean a woman who is self centred about her children.
Thus her children can do no wrong and are in the centre of the universe, not her. She expects everyone else to accept this too. Her vehicle of choice is a SUV, called a Chelsea Tractor in England, because killing other people's children in an accident doesn't matter as long as her own, more important, children survive unscathed.

In another use it can mean a woman with an active role in her child's life but, to those outside her social circle, little evidence of a life of her own. She lives vicariously through her children.

In a more positive use, it means a woman who drives her children to school, etc, and has a definite interest in their lives and activities.

Type one is a horrible person to know and her children end up selfish. Type two is hard to know unless your children are friends with her children or you are one of her few long term friends. Type three is as potentially likeable as anyone else.

Actually it is quite funny as I know mums belonging to all three, however, one and two also tend to be much more stuck up and snobby even if their social class is below or the same of those people (usually mothers whom they do not know) they don't want to know and will be rude to.

In other words Type 2 are the bitches of the group and if they don't want to know you any attempt to talk with them (at say a child's birthday party) or approach them and their little group of friends you will be actively rebuked and made to feel worthless. I am glad my mother wasn't like this as I see the way they treat their children, but many of her friends are.

It's a bit like being back at school really, I suppose they never grew up.

DBC26-Winner

Ferrous Oxide
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferrous Oxide » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:55 am

Blouman Empire wrote:Why didn't you answer my question?

I didn't understand it.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:57 am

Ferrous Oxide wrote:I didn't understand it.

How hard is it to understand the question "Did your mum take you to soccer when you were a child?"

DBC26-Winner

Ferrous Oxide
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferrous Oxide » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:02 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Ferrous Oxide wrote:I didn't understand it.

How hard is it to understand the question "Did your mum take you to soccer when you were a child?"

It seemed too simple, I though that there was an underlying meaning that I was missing.

"No."

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:03 am

Ferrous Oxide wrote:It seemed too simple, I though that there was an underlying meaning that I was missing.

"No."

Ok then, did you used to play younger or have you only recently started playing?

DBC26-Winner

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General