NATION

PASSWORD

The General Car Thread - The Facelift.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:39 am

Naustaria wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Hahaha, okay. Well, first...welcome to forums and hyperlinking. When you see the text in blue and underlined, that's a link. What you do is take your mouse and move the cursor over it and it will turn into like a pointing hand or something. That will open the website where, for example, I linked to an article about the cost of ownership versus a Toyota Camry. Here it is again for your convenience.

Second, I guess I have to prove that the other stuff? Okay. I'll start with proving that there is more than on Tesla model. Didn't think that we'd have to go that far in a car thread, but hey...here we are. So, here is the Model S. You can see on the right hand of your screen that base model price of $75,000. That's one of their models.

Also, 1/6th of $75,000 is around $12,000. It's been a while since I've had to do mathematical proofs, so I guess copy and paste this formula into your choice of calculators to verify it: 75,000/6=

Here is the Tesla Model 3. Again on the right you will see the starting price of just under $35,000.

Allowing for some fudging, 1/6th of that is $6,000. Here's that formula for you again: 35,000/6= You'll find I was being generous for the sake of round numbers.

Here is the Model X As before on the right you will see the price at just below $80,000. A sixth of that would be around $13,000. Again, the formula for you: 80,000/6=

The current average price of a new car is around $34.000 which for the record is one oneth the price of a Tesla Model 3.

Now, you may be surprised to know that generally speaking it's the person making the claim is the one who has to back it up. Claims look like this:

You can provide support of these things by finding evidence of them elsewhere. You take your cursor to the url, that's the thing that starts with "http" at the top of your browser, highlighting the whole thing and then pressing control and c. Than you cursor into the post and press control and v.

While we're at it, because apparently we need to establish everything before you'll support your own claims, the cheapest new car you can buy in the US currently is the Chevrolet Spark at $14,095. This means at base price the closest your statement gets to being true is with the Model X in terms of base price. So for a sixth of the price of a 518hp SUV you can get a 98hp subcompact. Which, seems about right. Hey...hey...looks like you get a fifth of the horsepower. Weird, right?

Wait, wait...sorry, I forgot I needed extraordinary evidence because of your claims for some reason. The previous link contains the HP of the Spark. Here is a link for a google search on the horsepower output of the Model X

So is there anything else I can do for you? Do you want me to hold up some pantone chips against the sky to make sure it's blue?

So, why were you saying that cars cost 6,000 dollars when you just admitted they don't?

Holy crap, dude.

Try and follow the bouncing ball.

Here is your opening statement:
Naustaria wrote:Tesla cars have a lot of hype about them and people seem to think they are cool. But, they are about 6 times more expensive than a regular gasoline-powered car and have high maintenance costs. It needs a lot of work.

Please note the name in that quote. This is your statement. You made the claim that Tesla's cost six times as much as gasoline cars.

You. You said that. That was you. I just want to be clear. The person that is you, the one on your side of the computer said that Teslas cost six times a gasoline car.

What I asked was 'where are you getting $6,000 cars.' This is not a claim, it as a request for clarification of your claim. Because, again, 1/6th of $35,000 is $6,000 rounded up. Because, as established, a Tesla Model 3 without subsidy starts at $35,000.

I'm not really sure how this can be made any clearer, mostly because I'm gobsmacked that you somehow thought I was actually saying cars cost $6,000.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Naustaria
Attaché

Founded: Jan 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Naustaria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:43 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Naustaria wrote:
So, why were you saying that cars cost 6,000 dollars when you just admitted they don't?

Holy crap, dude.

Naustaria wrote:Tesla cars have a lot of hype about them and people seem to think they are cool. But, they are about 6 times more expensive than a regular gasoline-powered car and have high maintenance costs. It needs a lot of work.

Please note the name in that quote. This is your statement. You made the claim that Tesla's cost six times as much as gasoline cars.

You. You said that. That was you. I just want to be clear. The person that is you, the one on your side of the computer said that Teslas cost six times a gasoline car.

What I asked was 'where are you getting $6,000 cars.' This is not a claim, it as a request for clarification of your claim. Because, again, 1/6th of $35,000 is $6,000 rounded up. Because, as established, a Tesla Model 3 without subsidy starts at $35,000.

I'm not really sure how this can be made any clearer, mostly because I'm gobsmacked that you somehow thought I was actually saying cars cost $6,000.

Yeah maybe in India, but not in the developed world. I don't know where you got $6,000 from.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:45 am

Naustaria wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Holy crap, dude.

Yeah maybe in India, but not in the developed world. I don't know where you got $6,000 from.

What the fuck is happening to words between the forum and your computer?

You know that you're the one who said this, right? This part right here:

This is you. Do you not remember making this post?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Naustaria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Naustaria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:48 am

Naustaria wrote:

What the fuck is happening to words between the forum and your computer?

Yes. So where do you get $6,000 from? Just admit you made a mistake. There is no shame in it.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:50 am

Naustaria wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:What the fuck is happening to words between the forum and your computer?

Yes. So where do you get $6,000 from? Just admit you made a mistake. There is no shame in it.

Wow.

Okay, you know division is in math, right? Do you know how to divide? I want to make sure we understand this simple concept first.

Naustaria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Naustaria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:51 am

Naustaria wrote:

Wow.

Okay, you know division is in math, right? Do you know how to divide? I want to make sure we understand this simple concept first.

Dude, just admit that your $6,000 car doesn't exist. At least, not outside of shady Craigslist ads.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:55 am

Naustaria wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Wow.

Dude, just admit that your $6,000 car doesn't exist. At least, not outside of shady Craigslist ads.

Your devotion to this is astounding.

Once more with feeling.

Your claim...YOURS: Teslas cost 6 times as much as a gas car. This is your claim, right?

Naustaria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Naustaria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:57 am

Naustaria wrote:

Your devotion to this is astounding.

Once more with feeling.

Your claim...YOURS: Teslas cost 6 times as much as a gas car. This is your claim, right?

Yes, but what does that have to do with your $6,000 car? Do you live in India or some place were things are really that cheap or do you buy off craigslist?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:00 am

Naustaria wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Your devotion to this is astounding.

Once more with feeling.

Yes, but what does that have to do with your $6,000 car? Do you live in India or some place were things are really that cheap or do you buy off craigslist?

Ever vigilant.

The Tesla Model 3 costs $35,000. Do we need to establish that again? Can we just rely on the links already provided?

If we round up to the nearest thousand, do you know what number we get when we divide $35,000 by six?

Naustaria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Naustaria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:02 am

Naustaria wrote:

Ever vigilant.

The Tesla Model 3 costs $35,000. Do we need to establish that again? Can we just rely on the links already provided?

If we round up to the nearest thousand, do you know what number we get when we divide $35,000 by six?

Yes, so why are you saying it costs $6,000 when you just admit it costs $35,000?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:03 am

Naustaria wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Ever vigilant.

Yes, so why are you saying it costs $6,000 when you just admit it costs $35,000?

Is...is this a bit? Are you doing a bit right now?

Naustaria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Naustaria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 am

Naustaria wrote:

Is...is this a bit? Are you doing a bit right now?

No, but I am starting to wonder if you are...

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:05 am

Naustaria wrote:Yes, but what does that have to do with your $6,000 car? Do you live in India or some place were things are really that cheap or do you buy off craigslist?

I think this is what he was trying to clarify - you said:
But, they are about 6 times more expensive than a regular gasoline-powered car and have high maintenance costs.

Teslas cost close to 100K

Teslas cost less than that nowadays:
Tesla offers three models, four once the Cybertruck enters production. The Model S, which in 2012 was their only model, can cost as much as $100,000 (which, using your math means that the 'average' gas car costs around $17,000, at which point you're not really comparing apples to apples). Also, the Model S starts at $75,000 but can be optioned up into six figures. Same with the Model X that starts at $81,000. But it's 2020. Tesla also has the Model X and the Model 3, that latter of which costs $35,000. Before tax credits, since Tesla largely outsold the quotas for them.

Further, true cost of ownership over five years has the Tesla Model 3 coming in lower than a Camry that's not as well equipped.

"So where did the $6,000 come from?", you ask.

The cheapest Tesla - $35,000

But, they are about 6 times more expensive than a regular gasoline-powered car and have high maintenance costs.

If so, then that means regular petrol / diesel cars cost 35,000/6 - which would be close to $6,000.
Do you understand now?

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:10 am

-Astoria wrote:
Naustaria wrote:Yes, but what does that have to do with your $6,000 car? Do you live in India or some place were things are really that cheap or do you buy off craigslist?

I think this is what he was trying to clarify - you said:

Teslas cost close to 100K

Tesla offers three models, four once the Cybertruck enters production. The Model S, which in 2012 was their only model, can cost as much as $100,000 (which, using your math means that the 'average' gas car costs around $17,000, at which point you're not really comparing apples to apples). Also, the Model S starts at $75,000 but can be optioned up into six figures. Same with the Model X that starts at $81,000. But it's 2020. Tesla also has the Model X and the Model 3, that latter of which costs $35,000. Before tax credits, since Tesla largely outsold the quotas for them.

Further, true cost of ownership over five years has the Tesla Model 3 coming in lower than a Camry that's not as well equipped.

If so, then that means regular petrol / diesel cars cost 35,000/6 - which would be close to $6,000.
Do you understand now?

*fingers crossed*

Naustaria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Naustaria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:14 am

-Astoria wrote:I think this is what he was trying to clarify - you said:

Do you understand now?

*fingers crossed*

Dude, just admit you made a mistake a be done with it. There is no $6,000 car and no matter how you slice it, a Tesla is way more expensive than a gasoline powered car.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:16 am

Naustaria wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:*fingers crossed*

Dude, just admit you made a mistake a be done with it. There is no $6,000 car and no matter how you slice it, a Tesla is way more expensive than a gasoline powered car.

This has GOT to be a bit.

You know that you're the one saying that a gasoline car costs $6,000, right? You know that and you're just fucking with us? Like, you just want to see how long someone will play along? That's the shtick, right?

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:18 am

Naustaria wrote:Dude, just admit you made a mistake a be done with it. There is no $6,000 car and no matter how you slice it, a Tesla is way more expensive than a gasoline powered car.

No one is saying that a car costs $6,000 here. Please reread my earlier post.

Naustaria
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Naustaria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:20 am

Naustaria wrote:

This has GOT to be a bit.

You know that you're the one saying that a gasoline car costs $6,000, right? You know that and you're just fucking with us? Like, you just want to see how long someone will play along? That's the shtick, right?

Dude, for the last time, I did NOT say anything about a $6,000 car. That is all you. Either you are doing a bit or you are just too proud to admit that you made a mistake. Really, there is no shame in it. Either way, I think I am done here. You had your fun.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:22 am

Naustaria wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:This has GOT to be a bit.

Dude, for the last time, I did NOT say anything about a $6,000 car. That is all you. Either you are doing a bit or you are just too proud to admit that you made a mistake. Really, there is no shame in it. Either way, I think I am done here. You had your fun.

Do you live in a world where the Model 3 exists?

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:44 am

Naustaria wrote:

Do you live in a world where the Model 3 exists?

I think you've just been had mate.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:59 am

Fartsniffage wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Do you live in a world where the Model 3 exists?

I think you've just been had mate.

Yeah...has to be a bit.

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Great mini documentary about a guy who tunes Porsche 964s (my personal favorite styling of the 911):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6pdwdMjkZE

Plus, Petrolicious is a badass channel.
W̵̲͔͇͒̌̉̆̇͛̋ͅa̸̢̼̺̅̉̊͝l̶̟͈̳̗͒͜l̷̫͝ ̶̱̱̘͖̙̬͖̈́̏̕͘ō̴̼̭̥͔̮̟͒̒͒ͅn̴̖̦͎̯͕̈́̿͘͠ ̸̞̼͉͙́͐̏͝ẗ̴̮͕̰̫̖͉̩̍͆̂͛͝h̵̖̋̉̾̎͆e̸̞̩̳̲͙͎͑ ̴̩̈̽̈́͑S̵̯̮̟͈͎̭͠t̸͍̗̹̬͉̙̓͆̔̿r̸̡̤̺̱̹͈̦͑̈́̅ẹ̶̮͔̳̆͆̄̏̔e̴̢̺͚̠̟͕̋̄̂̓̽͘t̴̢̡̩͙̫̼̚,̸̩̖͌̈́͐̇ ̷̨͐͆P̵̳̦͗r̶̹̪̯͕̬̰̍̓͆o̷̠̱͙̠͔̗̫̽f̶̱͙͇̼̬̮̻̊͌̋į̸̯̩̖͇̍͋̓̾́̏̽ͅt̴͇̬͍̗̺̀̈́̈́͗͊ ̴̧̯̼̩͑̓̒͗i̷̪̲̜̮̼̲̎͑͊̂̕n̶͍̂ ̴͓̻̤̬͎̫̹̎͌̈́́̕͝t̸̺͚͍̕h̷͖͎̙͍̬̫̰̍̀̃̿̓e̷̛̩̔̑̌̾͊ ̵̤̖͎͔͖̂͘͝S̴̳͖̩̪͕̒͒̌͌͝h̷̝͇̱̝̻̓̓͂͑̒ȅ̶̛̞̱̮̏͐͜ḕ̷͙͉̄͜ť̸̫̩̟s̴̲̲̏̑̏̇͆͂͘͜

ᛖᚷᛟ ᛋᚢᛗ ᛒᛖᛋᛏᛁᚨ ᛖᚷᛟ ᚲᚢᛚᛏᚢᛋ
Personality: Chaotic Good | ENTJ | Math dominant | Pro business
Politically: Classical liberal | Pro 2A | Pro Choice | Behavioral economist

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:52 pm

Almost 6 months in, and I'm still loving my 'rolla. Only real "issue" I've experienced so far is a lack of Android Auto. Hopefully Toyota does plan on releasing an update soon. But otherwise I've been having a blast driving her around.
Eternally salty, quite tired, and perhaps looking for a brighter future.

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:55 am

That convo was.... interesting to read.
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:11 am

Cappuccina wrote:That convo was.... interesting to read.

I was in it and I didn't even want to read it. Like the airplane parked on the off ramp, just shake your head and drive on.

Bullitt's Mustang just sold for $3.7 million dollars.
I got out bid by $3.7 million.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General