NATION

PASSWORD

The General Car Thread - The Facelift.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Thu May 23, 2019 11:51 pm

Cappuccina wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:Have you ever actaully bought a sports car?

Because when people put that much money down on a car (even the cheapest sports cars cost as much as a Ford Focus), they prefer not to have a one-trick-pony. And I don't think something like a new 911, F-Type or 812 Superfast isn't an event.

I've bought, owned several, and still own sports cars of various types and styles. All older cars of course.

I just don't enjoy modern cars, I loathe the majority of them to be frank. I like having a sports car not a Swiss army knife. I don't need or want infotainment, or a million buttons, or ridiculous reverse cameras.

You bought them used?

Well, that's the thing. If you spend a few grand on a car, you may expect less than what someone who decided to spare a few dozen, or over a hundred grand.

And you can have modern features in a cool sports car. MX-5,anyone?
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 24, 2019 12:10 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Cappuccina wrote:I've bought, owned several, and still own sports cars of various types and styles. All older cars of course.

I just don't enjoy modern cars, I loathe the majority of them to be frank. I like having a sports car not a Swiss army knife. I don't need or want infotainment, or a million buttons, or ridiculous reverse cameras.

You bought them used?

Well, that's the thing. If you spend a few grand on a car, you may expect less than what someone who decided to spare a few dozen, or over a hundred grand.

Dude, do you even have your license yet? You really gotta stop trying to lecture people who have been driving longer than you've been alive about what they want in a car.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Fri May 24, 2019 12:47 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:You bought them used?

Dude, do you even have your license yet? You really gotta stop trying to lecture people who have been driving longer than you've been alive about what they want in a car.

I'm talkinga about money here. If you are spending a wad of cash on something, it better not be a one-trick pony.

Plus,complaining about things like infotainment is quite superficial, especially since sports cars historically weren't skimping on creature comforts.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 24, 2019 1:30 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Dude, do you even have your license yet? You really gotta stop trying to lecture people who have been driving longer than you've been alive about what they want in a car.

I'm talkinga about money here.

We're talking about cars.
Petrolheadia wrote: If you are spending a wad of cash on something, it better not be a one-trick pony.

Again, you haven't bought a car from anywhere other than a toy shelf. You don't get to lecture someone who has had multiple actual cars on what they want.
Petrolheadia wrote:Plus,complaining about things like infotainment is quite superficial, especially since sports cars historically weren't skimping on creature comforts.

Patently false. Some luxury and GT cars have had creature comforts, sure. Others have pointedly not, and enthusiasts have flocked to those cars just as well. Even today Porsche regularly makes special models for enthusiasts where the list of shit the car doesn't have is longer than the shit the car does. Hell, the new Speedster for the outgoing 991 doesn't even have door handles, it has a strap.

You gotta stop with this, dude. Like the cars you like, that's the fun. Quit trying to tell people they're wrong about what they like. It's dumb. Especially when you're talking to people who have had and enjoyed cars for years. Try just enjoying shit. It won't hurt, I swear.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Fri May 24, 2019 1:55 am

Petrolheadia wrote:I'm talkinga about money here.

We're talking about cars.
Petrolheadia wrote: If you are spending a wad of cash on something, it better not be a one-trick pony.

Again, you haven't bought a car from anywhere other than a toy shelf. You don't get to lecture someone who has had multiple actual cars on what they want.
Petrolheadia wrote:Plus,complaining about things like infotainment is quite superficial, especially since sports cars historically weren't skimping on creature comforts.

Patently false. Some luxury and GT cars have had creature comforts, sure. Others have pointedly not, and enthusiasts have flocked to those cars just as well. Even today Porsche regularly makes special models for enthusiasts where the list of shit the car doesn't have is longer than the shit the car does. Hell, the new Speedster for the outgoing 991 doesn't even have door handles, it has a strap.

You gotta stop with this, dude. Like the cars you like, that's the fun. Quit trying to tell people they're wrong about what they like. It's dumb. Especially when you're talking to people who have had and enjoyed cars for years. Try just enjoying shit. It won't hurt, I swear.

TBH it's a debate that started with accusatory ex cathedra statements about sports cars, so I'm trying to bring a contrary opinion.

I'm debating because I like it. It's not like all old sports cars were spartan - even some supercars had tons of kit.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri May 24, 2019 5:10 am

Cappuccina wrote:
NeoOasis wrote:
Last I heard, modern sports cars are about competence and speed. Manual uptake rates reflect this. You can go faster and do it more consistenly in a self shifting sports car, and the increased fuel economy is just an added bonus. And as far as comfortable and accommodating goes... I disagree. All cars regardless of purpose should have a modicum of comfort and usablility. Otherwise why would I drive it? If I'm buying any car, it'll be driven daily, and I won't find myself in a iron maiden, manual or not.

And honestly I question the feel of an old fashioned 5 speed. Since manual transmissions are often an after thought on modern cars, the manual transmission is a dog to use and enjoy half the time. Not every automaker is Honda, and not every automaker can be arsed to make a manual as good as Honda's...

The reasons for manual transmissions these days are more emotional than practical. The strides made with automatic transmissions really puts manuals at a disadvantage in everything but simplicity and price. Despite that I'll still have my next car as a manual simply because that's what I like. (should be harder to steal as well)

Performance cars aren't supposed to be practical.

In my opinion modern sports cars have gone too far from their roots, there aren't many I'd actually car a sports car, most are just grand tourers. They're too big, too heavy, too cushie. My heart goes to the more Spartan cars, no a/c, no heat, manual, rough ride, no electronics, just a sexy car that looks good, sounds good, and and is an event everytime you're behind the wheel. Modern cars in general have more in common with smartphone than an automobile.

This only works if you can buy (and store) multiple cars. And then the sport car gets little use.
Yes such an event can be fun from time to time but not all the time.

Depending on where you live a car without heat and AC is outright unsafe much of the year.

You can get modern performance and comfort.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Fri May 24, 2019 7:03 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Dude, do you even have your license yet? You really gotta stop trying to lecture people who have been driving longer than you've been alive about what they want in a car.

I'm talkinga about money here. If you are spending a wad of cash on something, it better not be a one-trick pony.

Plus,complaining about things like infotainment is quite superficial, especially since sports cars historically weren't skimping on creature comforts.

If we are talking historically, you are mistaken. Look at the Jaguars like the 120/140 series, any MG, the Alfa Romeros of the post war era and you will find cramped cockpits, stiff seats, and at most a radio for entertainment. Many did not even include that, as driving the car was both entertaining and attention keeping enough.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 24, 2019 7:24 am

Elwher wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:I'm talkinga about money here. If you are spending a wad of cash on something, it better not be a one-trick pony.

If we are talking historically, you are mistaken. Look at the Jaguars like the 120/140 series, any MG, the Alfa Romeros of the post war era and you will find cramped cockpits, stiff seats, and at most a radio for entertainment. Many did not even include that, as driving the car was both entertaining and attention keeping enough.

There's an old Tim Allen joke about when he took his old Mercedes in and joked to the German mechanic about a lack of a cup holder and the mechanic snapped back, "Maybe ve are more interested in driving zen you distracted Americans" or some shit like that.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri May 24, 2019 7:39 am

Elwher wrote:

There's an old Tim Allen joke about when he took his old Mercedes in and joked to the German mechanic about a lack of a cup holder and the mechanic snapped back, "Maybe ve are more interested in driving zen you distracted Americans" or some shit like that.

Historically US and European cars often followed dramatically different design philosophies, although the differences have been reduced over time.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 24, 2019 7:46 am

Novus America wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:There's an old Tim Allen joke about when he took his old Mercedes in and joked to the German mechanic about a lack of a cup holder and the mechanic snapped back, "Maybe ve are more interested in driving zen you distracted Americans" or some shit like that.

Historically US and European cars often followed dramatically different design philosophies, although the differences have been reduced over time.

I think it would look like a pea pod or something like that. Early on, flat radiator pre-war cars all look more or less samish, though even then the cars that Jaguar and Mercedes were making were dead sexy, but once they started shaping the cars we went in vastly different directions. As the world markets and design hegemony have become more dominant they're getting closer. Though now it's Europe making a bunch of SUVs like they was Americans.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Fri May 24, 2019 11:23 am

Elwher wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:I'm talkinga about money here. If you are spending a wad of cash on something, it better not be a one-trick pony.

European cars of these years also did not have much in the way of creature comforts.

Sure, the sports cars weren't quite personal luxury, but they had nothing to be ashamed of either.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 24, 2019 11:57 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Elwher wrote:

European cars of these years also did not have much in the way of creature comforts.

Sure, the sports cars weren't quite personal luxury, but they had nothing to be ashamed of either.

This was a time when luxury cars started having electric windows while some of the cars he's talking about had canvas inserts as half of the door.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Fri May 24, 2019 1:03 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:European cars of these years also did not have much in the way of creature comforts.

This was a time when luxury cars started having electric windows while some of the cars he's talking about had canvas inserts as half of the door.

Key word - "started".

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Fri May 24, 2019 5:33 pm

I for one enjoy driving for extended periods of time in comfort. I'm willing to trade on hard performance if it means I get creature comforts like a radio, heating/AC, and seats that aren't designed for lego people.

I can certainly understand the attraction to older cars for their design and simplicity, but I personally see no reason to view modern cars with as much disdain as some people here. If you want to broil yourself alive in an Alabama summer while your Jagently XJ-Shadow overheats and geysers the coolant fluid, that's on you. If you want to scream in frustration at your factory nav system locking up for the 3rd time this commute... go for it. Not gonna judge. Be thrilled you even have a car, and be furious at a self driving future.

For me it isn't the car, but the drive that's important. For me to enjoy the drive and the views, I'd much rather have a reliable car I can take on the road. I can't enjoy anything when the car I own prevents me from doing so for whatever reason.
Eternally salty, quite tired, and perhaps looking for a brighter future.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 24, 2019 5:42 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:This was a time when luxury cars started having electric windows while some of the cars he's talking about had canvas inserts as half of the door.

Key word - "started".

While a lot of sports cars had tents for doors. C'mon, man.

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Fri May 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:Key word - "started".

While a lot of sports cars had tents for doors. C'mon, man.

Fast forward 60 years, and sports cars have real doors with real roofs, while the companies that made tent roofed cars have been bought out by the Germans or the Chinese. People desire more comfort, and they vote with their wallets... which really doesn't explain Ferrari or Maserati. Ah well, can't expect people to be brutally logically 100% of the time. Happily we often vote with our hearts leading automakers to keep making cars like the WRX or Miata.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 24, 2019 6:05 pm

NeoOasis wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:While a lot of sports cars had tents for doors. C'mon, man.

Fast forward 60 years, and sports cars have real doors with real roofs, while the companies that made tent roofed cars have been bought out by the Germans or the Chinese. People desire more comfort, and they vote with their wallets... which really doesn't explain Ferrari or Maserati. Ah well, can't expect people to be brutally logically 100% of the time. Happily we often vote with our hearts leading automakers to keep making cars like the WRX or Miata.

Or the 2019 Porsche Speedster that has straps for door handles.

Look, if there was a 'people want' there would be one car. But people want a bunch of different shit, so they make all kinds of cars. Including cars that still have tents for tops. Your logic isn't everyone's logic. Your wants isn't everyone's wants. That's what makes cars cool, there's something out there for everyone.

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Fri May 24, 2019 6:10 pm

NeoOasis wrote:

Or the 2019 Porsche Speedster that has straps for door handles.

Look, if there was a 'people want' there would be one car. But people want a bunch of different shit, so they make all kinds of cars. Including cars that still have tents for tops. Your logic isn't everyone's logic. Your wants isn't everyone's wants. That's what makes cars cool, there's something out there for everyone.

Ah well, can't expect people to be brutally logically 100% of the time. Happily we often vote with our hearts leading automakers to keep making cars like the WRX or Miata.

I'm not disagreeing with you here. Also if I remember correctly even the Speedster still has plenty of creature comforts. I just think that a relentless drive for one answer can be pretty silly. That being said mass demand for at least the basics is quite nice. AC is one thing I will never ever go without. Give me straps for door handles and a tent for a roof. As long as I can keep cool in the summer, I'm interested.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 24, 2019 6:23 pm

NeoOasis wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Or the 2019 Porsche Speedster that has straps for door handles.

Ah well, can't expect people to be brutally logically 100% of the time. Happily we often vote with our hearts leading automakers to keep making cars like the WRX or Miata.

I'm not disagreeing with you here. Also if I remember correctly even the Speedster still has plenty of creature comforts. I just think that a relentless drive for one answer can be pretty silly. That being said mass demand for at least the basics is quite nice. AC is one thing I will never ever go without. Give me straps for door handles and a tent for a roof. As long as I can keep cool in the summer, I'm interested.

I don't even have roll down windows.

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Fri May 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I don't even have roll down windows.

Not gonna lie, but I do miss roll down windows as an option on cars. Electric windows are convenient, but the cheaper price and weight reduction of hand crank cannot be denied. Ah well, progress I suppose.

Elwher
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 pm

NeoOasis wrote:

I don't even have roll down windows.

Do you have electric or removable? Neither are roll down.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat May 25, 2019 9:12 am

Elwher wrote:

Two pieces of glass, one on a rail that slides back and forth:

Elwher
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Sat May 25, 2019 9:41 am

Elwher wrote:

Two pieces of glass, one on a rail that slides back and forth:

Very good - I had forgotten about that type.
Ambrose Bierce

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat May 25, 2019 10:03 am

NeoOasis wrote:

Not gonna lie, but I do miss roll down windows as an option on cars. Electric windows are convenient, but the cheaper price and weight reduction of hand crank cannot be denied. Ah well, progress I suppose.

I don't, likely because I have rather recent experience with them.

Auzkhia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Auzkhia » Sat May 25, 2019 10:12 am

Baby Boomers are killing the sedan

I presented another statistic from carmax, and they report that the average age of a sedan owner is 37 years old, that's millennial right there. And, the average age of the new car buyer is 54, well in the boomer range.
Me irl. (she/her/it)
IC name: Celestial Empire of the Romans
Imperial-Royal Statement on NS Stats
Factbook Embassy App
Trans Lesbian Non-binary Lady Greco-Roman Pagan Socialist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General