NATION

PASSWORD

Poll Taxes and their Merits

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:00 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Conservatives in America tend to reject a living document approach because it's shitting on the Constitution

And I guess my grandpa is shitting on GM, because he recently had a tuneup in his car.

I don't really see bastardizing the law to further your ideology as tuning it up.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:02 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:And I guess my grandpa is shitting on GM, because he recently had a tuneup in his car.

bastardizing the law to further your ideology

I think the same about your views.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:11 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:bastardizing the law to further your ideology

I think the same about your views.

Which would be entirely correct on your part, I was being facetious about bastardizing the Constitution. It's unfortunate that folks like yourself however see bastardizing as simply a tune up
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:14 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:I think the same about your views.

Which would be entirely correct on your part, I was being facetious about bastardizing the Constitution. It's unfortunate that folks like yourself however see bastardizing as simply a tune up

If it is broke, fix it.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:26 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Which would be entirely correct on your part, I was being facetious about bastardizing the Constitution. It's unfortunate that folks like yourself however see bastardizing as simply a tune up

If it is broke, fix it.

You mean if it doesn't support imposing your views, it's broken.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:59 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:If it is broke, fix it.

You mean if it doesn't support imposing your views, it's broken.

As opposed to yours?

Yeah.

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:27 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:Well, you want the letter of the constitution to be followed.

I want the purpose of the Constitution followed. The interpretation according to the Constitution itself includes equity

The purpose of the constitution hardly matters, especially when the purpose will often directly contradict the written word of the constitution.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Environmental protections
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Authoritarianism/Totalitarianism
- Traditionalism
- Ethnic/racial supremacy
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Laissez-faire capitalism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism
- Climate change denialism

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:36 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:You mean if it doesn't support imposing your views, it's broken.

As opposed to yours?

Yeah.

I don't try to use the Constitution to impose my views, neither do other conservatives
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:37 am

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I want the purpose of the Constitution followed. The interpretation according to the Constitution itself includes equity

The purpose of the constitution hardly matters, especially when the purpose will often directly contradict the written word of the constitution.

The purpose obviously matters in equity
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:39 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:As opposed to yours?

Yeah.

I don't try to use the Constitution to impose my views, neither do other conservatives

So when the Second Amendment crowd starts screaming, that's not using the Constitution to impose their views?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:44 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:I never said it supported my religious views about the soul, I said abortion was a misdemeanor. The law did not recognize the fetus was alive prior to then (as your quote shows--and "quick" then meant alive, e.g. "the quick and the dead"). Abortion became outlawed from conception in the next century due to advances in medical science making it clear that it was erroneous to think a fetus only lived from sensible movement. As it were, legal "quickening" (to come alive) was pushed back. You are incorrectly looking at this as women being entitled to kill a fetus in the past: they were not, it was very much a crime. The only reason a pregnancy could be terminated earlier is because it was presumed the fetus was not alive, and therefore was not being killed.

"They weren't entitled to kill a fetus in the past! It just was viewed as lacking personhood, allowing them to kill it."

On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:

Yeah.

Too bad you’re wrong.

The Parkus Empire wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:The purpose of the constitution hardly matters, especially when the purpose will often directly contradict the written word of the constitution.

The purpose obviously matters in equity

Not when it directly contradicts the written word of the constitution, then the purpose can be thrown entirely out the window.
Last edited by The Greater Ohio Valley on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Traditionalism
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I don't try to use the Constitution to impose my views, neither do other conservatives

So when the Second Amendment crowd starts screaming, that's not using the Constitution to impose their views?

No, conservatives (here meaning whoever Parkus agrees with) are wholly Pure unlike the weak, vulgar, licentious crowd.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:47 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:

Yeah.

No, obviously you don't see gun ownership as a human right because the 2nd, or claim the 1st when a private party stops hosting your thoughts, you're a too good bunch for that.

/sarcasm

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:50 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I don't try to use the Constitution to impose my views, neither do other conservatives

That's unfortunate but unless you want to abolish to 20th Century precedent that states are subject to the Bill of Rights, can't really be helped. Most conservatives are simply not THAT conservative anymore, and have essentially accepted that major change. Only the very, very conservative actually wants that sort of roll back: for example, the Constution Party (which I have been tempted to convert to) is strongly opposed to all firearm restrictions, but they only emphasize Federal gun laws as unconstitutional. They oppose state regulation of guns as a conservative party, but don't really attack it as unconstitutional.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:53 am

Too bad you’re wrong.

The Parkus Empire wrote:The purpose obviously matters in equity

Not when it directly contradicts the written word of the constitution, then the purpose can be thrown entirely out the window.

No really. Blackstone cites a law for instance in which a doctor is arrested (this happened historically because he had political enemies) because he performed an operation when someone was suffering an emergency in the street. The law said anyone who sheds blood in the streets shall be put to death. The judge still acquitted him

Was the judge right to do so?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:57 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:No really. Blackstone cites a law for instance in which a doctor is arrested (this happened historically because he had political enemies) because he performed an operation when someone was suffering an emergency in the street. The law said anyone who sheds blood in the streets shall be put to death. The judge still acquitted him

Yes. But I don't expect you to agree with that - after all, that would be far too Thurgood Marshallesque for you. =^)

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:01 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:No really. Blackstone cites a law for instance in which a doctor is arrested (this happened historically because he had political enemies) because he performed an operation when someone was suffering an emergency in the street. The law said anyone who sheds blood in the streets shall be put to death. The judge still acquitted him

Yes. But I don't expect you to agree with that - after all, that would be far too Thurgood Marshallesque for you. =^)

I agree with interpreting law according to intent, which is what Blackstone uses this as an example of.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:47 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Too bad you’re wrong.

No really. Blackstone cites a law for instance in which a doctor is arrested (this happened historically because he had political enemies) because he performed an operation when someone was suffering an emergency in the street. The law said anyone who sheds blood in the streets shall be put to death. The judge still acquitted him

Yes. It doesn't take a genius to deduce that "sheds blood in the streets" is a euphemism for murder.
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Traditionalism
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:58 am

Yes. It doesn't take a genius to deduce that "sheds blood in the streets" is a euphemism for murder.

It's not really a euphemism. It's an idiom. Specifically it wasn't just about murder, but fighting and feuding as well. But what I am saying is that using the letter to override the point of the law is perverse.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Xenopolis Confederation
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2017
Anarchy

Postby The Xenopolis Confederation » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:08 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Too bad you’re wrong.

There's a difference between following what a document says instead of what one believes the intention behind it is, and taking metaphors literally.
Pro: Liberty, Liberalism, Capitalism, Secularism, Equal opportunity, Democracy, Windows Chauvinism, Deontology, Progressive Rock, LGBT+ Rights, Live and let live tbh.
Against: Authoritarianism, Traditionalism, State Socialism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Autocracy, (A)Theocracy, Apple, "The ends justify the means," Collectivism in all its forms.
Nationality: Australian
Political Ideology: If "milktoast liberalism" had a baby with "bleeding-heart libertarianism."
Discord: mellotronyellow

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:11 am

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:

There's a difference between following what a document says instead of what one believes the intention behind it is, and taking metaphors literally.

It's not a metaphor, it's an idiom.

The intention behind it is of course not something that can be feasibly and easily discerned. Blackstone says the best option in going for intent is looking to the reason the law was made, which is not so obscure.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Yes. It doesn't take a genius to deduce that "sheds blood in the streets" is a euphemism for murder.

It's not really a euphemism. It's an idiom. Specifically it wasn't just about murder, but fighting and feuding as well. But what I am saying is that using the letter to override the point of the law is perverse.

Not really, the judge knew what phrases meant and knew it didn't apply and ruled correctly in line with the law since the doctor didn't murder or fight anybody. But since we are talking about US Constitutional law, ruling by the letter of the constitution is a lot better than ruling by intent in the majority of circumstances because you then get into potential slippery slopes.
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Traditionalism
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:30 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:It's not really a euphemism. It's an idiom. Specifically it wasn't just about murder, but fighting and feuding as well. But what I am saying is that using the letter to override the point of the law is perverse.

Not really, the judge knew what phrases meant and knew it didn't apply and ruled correctly in line with the law since the doctor didn't murder or fight anybody. But since we are talking about US Constitutional law, ruling by the letter of the constitution is a lot better than ruling by intent in the majority of circumstances because you then get into potential slippery slopes.

Strict constructionism is doable, I guess
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Xenopolis Confederation
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2017
Anarchy

Postby The Xenopolis Confederation » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:40 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:There's a difference between following what a document says instead of what one believes the intention behind it is, and taking metaphors literally.

It's not a metaphor, it's an idiom.

The intention behind it is of course not something that can be feasibly and easily discerned. Blackstone says the best option in going for intent is looking to the reason the law was made, which is not so obscure.

Same principle appies.

The reason the law was made is not always clear. The only thing that is (almost) always clear is what the document says, taking metaphors and idioms as their commonly understood meaning. Deciding a law based on the reason it was made could have bad effects, as shown by anti-second amendmenters who say the second amendment was made for 18th century circumstances. Or hate-specch prohibitionists who say that free speech doesn't apply because free speech was created only to create stable democracy and allow one to criticize the government.
Pro: Liberty, Liberalism, Capitalism, Secularism, Equal opportunity, Democracy, Windows Chauvinism, Deontology, Progressive Rock, LGBT+ Rights, Live and let live tbh.
Against: Authoritarianism, Traditionalism, State Socialism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Autocracy, (A)Theocracy, Apple, "The ends justify the means," Collectivism in all its forms.
Nationality: Australian
Political Ideology: If "milktoast liberalism" had a baby with "bleeding-heart libertarianism."
Discord: mellotronyellow

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General