NATION

PASSWORD

Poll Taxes and their Merits

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:27 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:On the logic of this is my ideology so that's what it means now. :^)

So authoritarianism then.

Decisionism
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:28 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:It does not say what arms, and how to keep it.

In fact, it does not even say if the arms are supposed to be loaded.

But unless you're a strict constructionist that hardly matters

Well, you want the letter of the constitution to be followed.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:29 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:But unless you're a strict constructionist that hardly matters

Well, you want the letter of the constitution to be followed.

I want the purpose of the Constitution followed. The interpretation according to the Constitution itself includes equity
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:31 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:Well, you want the letter of the constitution to be followed.

I want the purpose of the Constitution followed.

A.K.A. living document.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:32 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:Well, you want the letter of the constitution to be followed.

I want the purpose of the Constitution followed. The interpretation according to the Constitution itself includes equity

And the purpose of the twenty-fourth amendment to the constitution is to prevent exactly what you are proposing.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:33 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I want the purpose of the Constitution followed.

A.K.A. living document.

I believe that's what they are getting at, yes.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 am

Poll Taxes, if they are even implemented, should be low enough that anyone can pay. However, high enough to at least make a little money. The problem with poll taxes in the past was that people would not have enough money to pay, and if they did, then the money would be driven up to where they could not pay. If this is avoided, then Poll Taxes could be an alright way to make revenue for money-starved states.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I want the purpose of the Constitution followed.

A.K.A. living document.

William Blackstone's jurisprudence (which was accepted by all legal proponents of the American Revolution, and which was what the U.S. Constitution presumes), when judging equity ("equity" means what is not covered by the letter of the law) a law is to be interpreted according to *the reason it was made*. This is referred to as "Originalism" (contrary to popular belief, "Originalism" does not mean "only covering situations existing at the time the law was written", and Blackstone stresses this: the reason the law was made, is what allows it to be applied to unforseen developments; Originalism is a method for judging equity). Progressives by contrast adhere to what in the United States is called, "Living Document" theory, which says that the reason for a law can change. Living Document theory grew out of the Darwinist craze, which tried to apply Darwin from everything to society and eugenics and art, to law.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:37 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I want the purpose of the Constitution followed. The interpretation according to the Constitution itself includes equity

And the purpose of the twenty-fourth amendment to the constitution is to prevent exactly what you are proposing.

That's correct, but Living Document means the purpose is irrelevant. The judge can determine a new purpose
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:38 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:A.K.A. living document.

William Blackstone's jurisprudence (which was accepted by all legal proponents of the American Revolution, and which was what the U.S. Constitution presumes), when judging equity ("equity" means what is not covered by the letter of the law) a law is to be interpreted according to *the reason it was made*. This is referred to as "Originalism" (contrary to popular belief, "Originalism" does not mean "only covering situations existing at the time the law was written", and Blackstone stresses this: the reason the law was made, is what allows it to be applied to unforseen developments; Originalism is a method for judging equity). Progressives by contrast adhere to what in the United States is called, "Living Document" theory, which says that the reason for a law can change. Living Document theory grew out of the Darwinist craze, which tried to apply Darwin from everything to society and eugenics and art, to law.

In other words, both get to the idea that the law needs to change to accomodate historical changes.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:38 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

That's correct, but Living Document means the purpose is irrelevant. The judge can determine a new purpose

You might wanna apply an exthunguisher to your pants.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:45 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:

In other words, both get to the idea that the law needs to change to accomodate historical changes.

Er, no. Equity in the Constitution is not about changing the law, hence why the Constitution distinguishes equity from law.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:47 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:That's correct, but Living Document means the purpose is irrelevant. The judge can determine a new purpose

You might wanna apply an exthunguisher to your pants.

To give an example, the article against unreasonable search and seizure was not meant to prohibit outlawing abortion (which of course was outlawed back then). That was not its purpose. It is a new purpose assigned to it much, much later
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

You want the purpose followed but the purpose is irrelevant. I am not sure I follow.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:50 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:You might wanna apply an exthunguisher to your pants.

To give an example, the article against unreasonable search and seizure was not meant to prohibit outlawing abortion (which of course was outlawed back then). That was not its purpose. It is a new purpose assigned to it much, much later

>> tfw abortion wasn't banned until the 1820s

For such a 'dedicated' traditionalist, you don't seem to know the traditions of what you supposedly defend.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Tomerlands
Envoy

Founded: Jun 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tomerlands » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:52 am

Albrenia wrote:
The Tomerlands wrote:
Mentally competent tests are stupid as well and was another thing that was used to keep African Americans from voting.

In this case mental competence basically means you are aware enough of your surroundings to make your wishes known. Only the seriously mentally handicapped (such as one person I have known) would ever fall under that umbrella.

Oh, okay then.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:58 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:That's correct, but Living Document means the purpose is irrelevant. The judge can determine a new purpose

You want the purpose followed but the purpose is irrelevant. I am not sure I follow.

I am being facetious of course. Conservatives in America tend to reject a living document approach because it's shitting on the Constitution
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:59 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:To give an example, the article against unreasonable search and seizure was not meant to prohibit outlawing abortion (which of course was outlawed back then). That was not its purpose. It is a new purpose assigned to it much, much later

>> tfw abortion wasn't banned until the 1820s

For such a 'dedicated' traditionalist, you don't seem to know the traditions of what you supposedly defend.

Abortion is a crime in Blackstone, he says it's misdemeanor homicide, but in earlier days it was treated as murder
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:Abortion is a crime in Blackstone, he says it's misdemeanor homicide, but in earlier days it was treated as murder

TIL tradition is one man's opinion contradicting English law and, more relevantly, fucking American law, which is what's being discussed. Best part is, the claim made by Blackstone is that it should be misdemeanor homicide - AFTER quickening. Before that, it's not homicide. He admits, furthermore, that such a conclusion regarding post-quickening abortions as misdemeanor homicide was not supported by contemporary English law.

But hey, anything to fuel your fantasies of a past that never existed, right? Who needs facts when you have bald-faced lies?
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 am

Albrenia wrote:
The Tomerlands wrote:
Mentally competent tests are stupid as well and was another thing that was used to keep African Americans from voting.

In this case mental competence basically means you are aware enough of your surroundings to make your wishes known. Only the seriously mentally handicapped (such as one person I have known) would ever fall under that umbrella.

So why shouldn't a fifteen year old be able to vote?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:06 am

Tell me, Parkus, do you believe your own lies, or do you cynically spread your bullshit like a farmer fertilizing his fields?

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:17 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:Abortion is a crime in Blackstone, he says it's misdemeanor homicide, but in earlier days it was treated as murder

TIL tradition is one man's opinion contradicting English law and, more relevantly, fucking American law, which is what's being discussed. Best part is, the claim made by Blackstone is that it should be misdemeanor homicide - AFTER quickening. Before that, it's not murder. He admits, furthermore, that such a conclusion regarding post-quickening abortions as misdemeanor murder was not supported by contemporary English law.

But hey, anything to fuel your fantasies of a past that never existed, right? Who needs facts when you have bald-faced lies?

"But the modern law doth not look on this offense in quite so attrocious a light, but merely as a heinous misdemeanor."
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:39 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:"But the modern law doth not look on this offense in quite so attrocious a light, but merely as a heinous misdemeanor."

Literally right before that wrote:Life... begins in contemplation of law as soon as an infant is able to stir in the mother's womb. For if a woman is quick with child, and by a potion, or otherwise, killeth it in her womb; or if any one beat her, whereby the child dieth in her body, and she is delivered of a dead child; this, though not murder, was by the ancient law homicide or manslaughter.

In context it doesn't support your views. What a surprise.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:50 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Conservatives in America tend to reject a living document approach because it's shitting on the Constitution

And I guess my grandpa is shitting on GM, because he recently had a tuneup in his car.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:58 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:"But the modern law doth not look on this offense in quite so attrocious a light, but merely as a heinous misdemeanor."

Literally right before that wrote:Life... begins in contemplation of law as soon as an infant is able to stir in the mother's womb. For if a woman is quick with child, and by a potion, or otherwise, killeth it in her womb; or if any one beat her, whereby the child dieth in her body, and she is delivered of a dead child; this, though not murder, was by the ancient law homicide or manslaughter.

In context it doesn't support your views. What a surprise.

I never said it supported my religious views about the soul, I said abortion was a misdemeanor. The law did not recognize the fetus was alive prior to then (as your quote shows--and "quick" then meant alive, e.g. "the quick and the dead"). Abortion became outlawed from conception in the next century due to advances in medical science making it clear that it was erroneous to think a fetus only lived from sensible movement. As it were, legal "quickening" (to come alive) was pushed back. You are incorrectly looking at this as women being entitled to kill a fetus in the past: they were not, it was very much a crime. The only reason a pregnancy could be terminated earlier is because it was presumed the fetus was not alive, and therefore was not being killed.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General