NATION

PASSWORD

Why do you believe in religion?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Risen Prussia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Prussia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Brizalia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
When confronted with the option of eternal torment, eternal life, or an eternal sleep where I don't "record" anything, I'll probably choose the eternal sleep after any given amount of time.

Immortality gets old, even with promises of never wanting anything.

Well all I know I wouldn't want to sleep for eternity, it doesn't seem all that pleasent.....

I would love to go to heaven and stay with my other family members...

(Have you heard of the little boy who went to heaven and came back, powerful story)

You mean the book, “Heaven is for Real”? Yes

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Brizalia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
When confronted with the option of eternal torment, eternal life, or an eternal sleep where I don't "record" anything, I'll probably choose the eternal sleep after any given amount of time.

Well all I know I wouldn't want to sleep for eternity, it doesn't seem all that pleasent.....

(Have you heard of the little boy who went to heaven and came back, powerful story)

It wouldn't be anything, that's what an eternal sleep is. You wouldn't feel it, you wouldn't recognize it. Take a moment and blink - that's basically how long forever feels like when you're dead.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Brizalia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Brizalia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Risen Prussia wrote:
Brizalia wrote:amazing, miracles, miracles, all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH!?!

Hallelujah! Lol

I would die for Christ and that is how I plan to die

agreed, whatever the Lord wants me to do I will. If he wants me to carry a elder up mount. Everest I will without hesitation.

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:08 pm

I don't remember what made my go from protestant to atheist.

Maybe it was the "Why is sin sin" argument.

Maybe it was the arbitrary levels of organizations in one's one body.

Maybe it was the bible's silent disregard for free will, which contradicts the way God talks about and acts against sin.

Maybe it was the fossil record.

Maybe it was something else.
Last edited by VoVoDoCo on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Brizalia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

There's been several children who have reported going to the afterlife and coming back. It's an uncommon but not unheard of effect of coming extremely close to death... or dying for short amounts of time but being revived.

There's non-religious explanations for them, but I won't poop on your party with 'em.

Brizalia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Brizalia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Brizalia wrote:Well all I know I wouldn't want to sleep for eternity, it doesn't seem all that pleasent.....

It wouldn't be anything, that's what an eternal sleep is. You wouldn't feel it, you wouldn't recognize it. Take a moment and blink - that's basically how long forever feels like when you're dead.

Well I know (not physically) but I don't like the concept of it......also wouldn't that lead up to the idea of reincarnation??

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Brizalia wrote:Well all I know I wouldn't want to sleep for eternity, it doesn't seem all that pleasent.....

There's been several children who have reported going to the afterlife and coming back. It's an uncommon but not unheard of effect of coming extremely close to death... or dying for short amounts of time but being revived.

There's non-religious explanations for them, but I won't poop on your party with 'em.

Also if we want to be technical, nobody's ever come back from true death. That is, a complete cessation of functions in the brain.

Rosengarten
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Rosengarten » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 pm

My experiences with religion below (Methodism, Baptism, Atheism, Judaism)
I grew up obligatorily religious. No one in my family is actually religious beyond believing in a god and being scared of death, but it's was just expected to put me in a Methodist preschool when I lived in Illinois and then Baptist youth group when I was lived in Mississippi.

I can't remember not being agnostic/atheist as a child despite countless after school programs, school prayers, and expectations. I would pray some nights, asking for some proof or a sign because I felt depressed I didn't believe in something so beautiful because it didn't seem scientifically possible. Then I started to see the uglier parts of organized religion as I grew older, particularly as a questioning lgbt kid (ended up trans and gay).

Around middle school, I had a phase where I hated religion, I hated church. I never had any real proof and now the experience and culture of religion left such a stain on my childhood. I remember we had to write argumentative essays in bible belt ass middle school, and I wrote about not allowing creationism in public school (Confused, distraught glares) while my classmate wrote about how gays and trannies should be institutionalized and forced to attend church every day (Not an exaggeration. Also got applause.) Needless to say, I was turned away from religion for a long time because of people, not God.

Cut to today after my slow trek out of reactionary (in my case) atheism, and I'm constantly questioning converting to Judaism. I've always wanted, prayed, to have more faith and for something to push me in that direction. A few months ago, I was in the throes of believing I wouldn't worship God even if I knew he was real because I don't think I'm worth(?) it to be a worshipper, but just a tool. Idk, it was an interesting spot to be to say the least.

But now I'm slowing coming around to treating religion as just a betterment of myself and the world around me through faith. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you think a higher being scientifically exists or not. What's real is how I use my religion to physically help myself and those around me by creating a culture of knowledge, sharing, and self-discipline.

*Also if you're wondering why Judaism, my family isn't ethnically or culturally Jewish, but I've done a bit of reading and talking with a few friends about what religion means to them, and everything just kind of struck me in a way it never has before. So I'm excited to talk to a Rabbi soon and potentially re-establish my faith!
The Republic of Rosengarten
Wikipedia | Political Compass
Est. 1848 | MT Tech | Maps
Gerhard. Trans Male. Student.
Art of the Week
Self-Portrait as a Heel II
Song of the Week Nemesis

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Brizalia wrote:(Have you heard of the little boy who went to heaven and came back, powerful story)

The Heaven is for Real kid? The authors of that story have since come out saying they'd made the whole thing up.
Last edited by VoVoDoCo on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Brizalia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Well I know (not physically) but I don't like the concept of it......also wouldn't that lead up to the idea of reincarnation??

Not necessarily, it's a metaphor since there's not enough time to register the thought that you've blinked in that moment.

The point is you don't feel or consciously experience anything, and this pure nothingness is a very difficult concept to grasp and understand.

Risen Prussia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Prussia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Brizalia wrote:
Risen Prussia wrote:Hallelujah! Lol

agreed, whatever the Lord wants me to do I will. If he wants me to carry a elder up mount. Everest I will without hesitation.

I support that the second coming of Christ will happen soon (because Jerusalem is Israel’s now, and they’re going to rebuild the temple soon), and before that comes the tribulation (3 1/2 years of persecution) so I’m ready to be persecuted for my faith when the time comes...

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:12 pm

I don’t, however, many are trying to search for greater meaning for their lives. In comes religion.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Brizalia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Brizalia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Vovodoco wrote:
Brizalia wrote:(Have you heard of the little boy who went to heaven and came back, powerful story)

The God is for Real kid? The authors of that story have since come out saying they'd made the whole thing up.

huh? Show meh proof please.......Also the kid said it himself, describing every bit, that kind of stuff can't be made up....!

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Vovodoco wrote:

The God is for Real kid? The authors of that story have since come out saying they'd made the whole thing up.

Yeah, they did. There's been other cases that have not admitted to lying though although I find them suspect too.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Risen Prussia wrote:
Brizalia wrote:agreed, whatever the Lord wants me to do I will. If he wants me to carry a elder up mount. Everest I will without hesitation.

I support that the second coming of Christ will happen soon (because Jerusalem is Israel’s now, and they’re going to rebuild the temple soon), and before that comes the tribulation (3 1/2 years of persecution) so I’m ready to be persecuted for my faith when the time comes...

The theme of martyrdom in Christianity may have gone too far.

Crushbossian
Political Columnist

Founded: May 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Crushbossian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Risen Prussia wrote:
Brizalia wrote:amazing, miracles, miracles, all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH!?!

Hallelujah! Lol

That is also how I plan to die

You a Pentecostal?

Brizalia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Brizalia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Crushbossian wrote:

You a Pentecostal?

No, I'm not sure what I am, all I know is that im Christian, I used to go to a catholic church & catholic school though/.........

Brizalia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Brizalia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Vovodoco wrote:The God is for Real kid? The authors of that story have since come out saying they'd made the whole thing up.

Yeah, they did. There's been other cases that have not admitted to lying though although I find them suspect too.

I refuse to believe that..

Risen Prussia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Prussia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Crushbossian wrote:

You a Pentecostal?

I’m non-denominational, but I agree with the Pentecostal theology

Brizalia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Brizalia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Risen Prussia wrote:I support that the second coming of Christ will happen soon (because Jerusalem is Israel’s now, and they’re going to rebuild the temple soon), and before that comes the tribulation (3 1/2 years of persecution) so I’m ready to be persecuted for my faith when the time comes...

what do you mean by that? (not in a rude way tho)

There is going to be the end of the world/rapture when the Lord believes it's time.....well that is what many Christians, including myself, believe

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Brizalia wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

I refuse to believe that..

Doing a google search quickly found me a rather large amount of places reporting it, including the child in question specifically recanting it.

Crushbossian
Political Columnist

Founded: May 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Crushbossian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Risen Prussia wrote:I support that the second coming of Christ will happen soon (because Jerusalem is Israel’s now, and they’re going to rebuild the temple soon), and before that comes the tribulation (3 1/2 years of persecution) so I’m ready to be persecuted for my faith when the time comes...

Meh, it’s prophesied to happen. I too think it’ll happen soon and am ready to give my life.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Valrifell wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:If I am being honest, it is out of fear.

The alternative to not believing in it is believing that when you die, nothing happens. Thats just it. No heaven no hell, just nothing.

I don't want to believe that, it's just too scary.

Heaven sounds nice, more fun then any mortal can have.

Shabandra
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Shabandra » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 pm

i don't believe in religion i believe in the message most religions send out into the world.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General