NATION

PASSWORD

The Hangar: the Aviation Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you want to be a pilot, or are you already a pilot?

Yes
41%
No
34%
I already have my pilot's license
17%
I'm not sure
7%

Total votes : 29

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 am

Datlofff wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I love aircraft and aviation in general, and I've never seen a thread here specifically devoted to flight and aviation on this forum before. I would love to be a pilot, or at least work with aircraft in some manner. This thread's purpose is the discussion of aircraft, aviation, and spacecraft. I'm especially interested in WWII military aircraft, one of my favorite aircraft is the P-51D Mustang. What airplanes do you guys like? Would you want to be a pilot?

Clearly the best aircraft from ww2 is the BF-109. Look at the kill ratio.

I said the P-51D was one of my personal favorites, not necessarily the best. :)
Vassenor wrote:Pretty sure I would fail the "fit to fly" medical (since have things like an asthma diagnosis that while not current - symptom free for at least five years - I believe is a life-time lockout).

That's too bad. I might be able to get a license, but I'm not sure what the vision requirements are.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Democratic Exodian Territories
Minister

Founded: Aug 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Exodian Territories » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:04 am

Datlofff wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I love aircraft and aviation in general, and I've never seen a thread here specifically devoted to flight and aviation on this forum before. I would love to be a pilot, or at least work with aircraft in some manner. This thread's purpose is the discussion of aircraft, aviation, and spacecraft. I'm especially interested in WWII military aircraft, one of my favorite aircraft is the P-51D Mustang. What airplanes do you guys like? Would you want to be a pilot?

Clearly the best aircraft from ww2 is the BF-109. Look at the kill ratio.

Screw you, that’s the Hawker Hurricane. Workhorse of the Allies during the first few years of the war, with its versatility vital during the Battle of Britain.

The F6F Hellcat is my favorite, though. I like the Hellcat and the Hurricane because they always seemed like underdogs, pitted against these legendary Axis aircraft such as the BF-109 and Zero but never receiving any recognition.
An early-PMT island-archipelago nation in the Gulf of Mexico with right-libertarian and neoconservative tendencies. Born on memes and guns by the British and Spanish but built for something deeper.
_[ ]_
(-_Q)
Only NS official Policy, Government, Economy stats used
FACTBOOKS ARE NOT CANON. Most forum posts are.
Angel's Alliance Founder.
#comeandtakeit
RBC News Channel, brought to you by Sapphire Systems Ltd:
| US President MacArthur doubles down on internal corruption | Aid sent to Nicaragua after Tropical Storm Marta | Stocks down 2 points |

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 am

Democratic Exodian Territories wrote:
Datlofff wrote:Clearly the best aircraft from ww2 is the BF-109. Look at the kill ratio.

Screw you, that’s the Hawker Hurricane. Workhorse of the Allies during the first few years of the war, with its versatility vital during the Battle of Britain.

The F6F Hellcat is my favorite, though. I like the Hellcat and the Hurricane because they always seemed like underdogs, pitted against these legendary Axis aircraft such as the BF-109 and Zero but never receiving any recognition.

True. Besides, the F6F was a good plane, or at least better than the F4F.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Datlofff
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:10 am

Datlofff wrote:Clearly the best aircraft from ww2 is the BF-109. Look at the kill ratio.

The Hawer Hurricane only proved effective during the battle of the Britain because Britain had RADAR, the British themselves admitted that the plane was woefully outclassed against the BF-109. Although, the polish in me wants to agree with you.
Im a slightly Authoritarian Moderate, I believe limited monarchies are the best systems of government, and that every 2016 presidential candidate was an idiot.
I personally feel that most people, in the act of trying to sound smart, often usually don't know what the fuck they are talking about.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 am

Datlofff wrote:
Democratic Exodian Territories wrote:Screw you, that’s the Hawker Hurricane. Workhorse of the Allies during the first few years of the war, with its versatility vital during the Battle of Britain.

The Hawer Hurricane only proved effective during the battle of the Britain because Britain had RADAR, the British themselves admitted that the plane was woefully outclassed against the BF-109. Although, the polish in me wants to agree with you.

The Brewster Buffalo was totally the best fighter of the war. :)
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Exodian Territories » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 am

Despite me fawning over the Hellcat and Hurricane, my favorite WWII plane that wasn’t a dedicated fighter has to be the de Havilland Mosquito multirole aircraft. Fuggin’ made of wood yet one of the fastest operational aircraft at its time.
An early-PMT island-archipelago nation in the Gulf of Mexico with right-libertarian and neoconservative tendencies. Born on memes and guns by the British and Spanish but built for something deeper.
_[ ]_
(-_Q)
#comeandtakeit
| US President MacArthur doubles down on internal corruption | Aid sent to Nicaragua after Tropical Storm Marta | Stocks down 2 points |

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:51 am

Datlofff wrote:
Democratic Exodian Territories wrote:Screw you, that’s the Hawker Hurricane. Workhorse of the Allies during the first few years of the war, with its versatility vital during the Battle of Britain.

The Hawer Hurricane only proved effective during the battle of the Britain.

The what, and the what?

Regardless. I have a very keen interest in Soviet aircraft from the Cold War period (I have an interest in Soviet military hardware in general), it is verging on aficionado status. Most of my favourite aircraft are Soviet. I have had the privilege of going on several of them. I'd say my favourites are, in no particular order: Tupolev Tu-154, Ilyushin Il-62, MiG-25, Antonov An-225, Tupolev Tu-114, MiG-21, MiG-29, and the A-90 Orlyonok. The Ilyushin Il-62M in particular is, in my mind, one of the most aesthetically-pleasing aircraft ever.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:09 am

Democratic Exodian Territories wrote:Despite me fawning over the Hellcat and Hurricane, my favorite WWII plane that wasn’t a dedicated fighter has to be the de Havilland Mosquito multirole aircraft. Fuggin’ made of wood yet one of the fastest operational aircraft at its time.

Oh yeah, the legendary Mosquito. Although it can't beat out the B-17 in terms of durability...
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Datlofff
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:45 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Democratic Exodian Territories wrote:Despite me fawning over the Hellcat and Hurricane, my favorite WWII plane that wasn’t a dedicated fighter has to be the de Havilland Mosquito multirole aircraft. Fuggin’ made of wood yet one of the fastest operational aircraft at its time.

Oh yeah, the legendary Mosquito. Although it can't beat out the B-17 in terms of durability...

Except for the fact that the average b-17 crewman only had a 1/4th chance of actually surviving his 25 required missions.
Im a slightly Authoritarian Moderate, I believe limited monarchies are the best systems of government, and that every 2016 presidential candidate was an idiot.
I personally feel that most people, in the act of trying to sound smart, often usually don't know what the fuck they are talking about.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:52 am

Datlofff wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Oh yeah, the legendary Mosquito. Although it can't beat out the B-17 in terms of durability...

Except for the fact that the average b-17 crewman only had a 1/4th chance of actually surviving his 25 required missions.

That was more to do with the intensity of the flak, as well as the Luftwaffe air cover, rather than an inherent flaw with the aircraft itself...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Datlofff
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Datlofff wrote:Except for the fact that the average b-17 crewman only had a 1/4th chance of actually surviving his 25 required missions.

That was more to do with the intensity of the flak, as well as the Luftwaffe air cover, rather than an inherent flaw with the aircraft itself...

The b-17 wasn't really that durable of an aircraft, nothing about it made it any more durable than any other bomber of its size. Yah it had a defensive armament that was good, but that doesn't help you when the nazis are blowing you ass out from underneath you with flak.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:55 am

Datlofff wrote:Except for the fact that the average b-17 crewman only had a 1/4th chance of actually surviving his 25 required missions.

Yeah. I've heard stories of B-17s flying home on one or two engines.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 am

Datlofff wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:That was more to do with the intensity of the flak, as well as the Luftwaffe air cover, rather than an inherent flaw with the aircraft itself...

The b-17 wasn't really that durable of an aircraft, nothing about it made it any more durable than any other bomber of its size.

Wrong. The B-17 was a durable aircraft. It could survive considerable punishment before it succumbed. It has a reputation of being one of the most durable aircraft of the war.

Wave on, wave on

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Exodian Territories » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:04 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

Well, naturally. The Mosquito was made of wood, the B-17 sheet metal.
_[ ]_
(-_Q)
#comeandtakeit

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:05 am

Datlofff wrote:The b-17 wasn't really that durable of an aircraft, nothing about it made it any more durable than any other bomber of its size.

Wrong. The B-17 was a durable aircraft. It could survive considerable punishment before it succumbed. It has a reputation of being one of the most durable aircraft of the war.

Yeah, that sounds about right.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Exodian Territories » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 am

Datlofff wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:That was more to do with the intensity of the flak, as well as the Luftwaffe air cover, rather than an inherent flaw with the aircraft itself...

The b-17 wasn't really that durable of an aircraft, nothing about it made it any more durable than any other bomber of its size. Yah it had a defensive armament that was good, but that doesn't help you when the nazis are blowing you ass out from underneath you with flak.

It was really durable, it just had little chance of surviving when pretty much every Wehrmacht AA crew on the ground and every Luftwaffe Bf-109 in the air trying to kill it via firing squad.
_[ ]_
(-_Q)
#comeandtakeit

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 am

Datlofff wrote:The b-17 wasn't really that durable of an aircraft, nothing about it made it any more durable than any other bomber of its size. Yah it had a defensive armament that was good, but that doesn't help you when the nazis are blowing you ass out from underneath you with flak.

It was really durable, it just had little chance of surviving when pretty much every Wehrmacht AA crew on the ground and every Luftwaffe Bf-109 in the air trying to kill it via firing squad.

Yep. The other tough aircraft is the Warthog.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:17 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

Yep. The other tough aircraft is the Warthog.

You say that but can it fly with just one wing?

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:19 am

Fartsniffage wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Yep. The other tough aircraft is the Warthog.

I didn't realize the F15 was so durable.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Datlofff
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Yep. The other tough aircraft is the Warthog.

Any plane is capable of flying with 1 wing. there are plenty of ww2 examples
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Datlofff
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Datlofff wrote:The b-17 wasn't really that durable of an aircraft, nothing about it made it any more durable than any other bomber of its size.

I too can show some evidence of other similar sized bombers sustaining similar damage and making it back.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Datlofff wrote:

Any plane is capable of flying with 1 wing. there are plenty of ww2 examples

Such as?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Datlofff wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Wrong. The B-17 was a durable aircraft. It could survive considerable punishment before it succumbed. It has a reputation of being one of the most durable aircraft of the war.

I too can show some evidence of other similar sized bombers sustaining similar damage and making it back.

Unsourced photo devoid of context. Proves nothing. For all I know, that Heinkel He 111 sustained the damage on the ground.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wave on, wave on

Datlofff
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Datlofff wrote:I too can show some evidence of other similar sized bombers sustaining similar damage and making it back.
(Image)

Unsourced photo devoid of context. Proves nothing. For all I know, that Heinkel He 111 sustained the damage on the ground.

Actually given what Ive researched on it people are determinate what brought her down, but they are all sure that it was in the air, and the damage was done by a fighter, as the damage isn't conducive to flack damage. Due to the camp on the He-111 It was a night bomber, so it was probably from a British night fighter. Although there is one person suggesting it could have been a Swiss BF-109 that did the damage, due to the fact that that type of damage is conducive to Meingeshoss damage from a German 20mm gun.

EDIT: From what I've found there is also the claim that the British found this plane on a captured runway in eygpt.
Last edited by Datlofff on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Datlofff wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Unsourced photo devoid of context. Proves nothing. For all I know, that Heinkel He 111 sustained the damage on the ground.

Actually given what Ive researched on it people are determinate what brought her down, but they are all sure that it was in the air, and the damage was done by a fighter, as the damage isn't conducive to flack damage. Due to the camp on the He-111 It was a night bomber, so it was probably from a British night fighter. Although there is one person suggesting it could have been a Swiss BF-109 that did the damage, due to the fact that that type of damage is conducive to Meingeshoss damage from a German 20mm gun.

EDIT: From what I've found there is also the claim that the British found this plane on a captured runway in eygpt.

Unsourced speculation. You may as well have thrown a photo of any damaged bomber in front of me, and claimed that it is battle damage sustained in the air. Complete speculation on your part.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General