NATION

PASSWORD

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Yes
42%
No
43%
Do Not Care
14%

Total votes : 472

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:The more important question is, is soup a beverage

Depends: if it is a smooth puree or broth, yes. If it has chunks of stuff in it, no.

Wouldn’t soup with chunks of stuff in it be considered stew?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:The more important question is, is soup a beverage

Depends: if it is a smooth puree or broth, yes. If it has chunks of stuff in it, no.

I see your chunks and I raise you.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 pm

How about my favorite. Would bread, with air in between, because air is an object, be a sandwich? I think yes, because air is an object.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 pm

Galloism wrote:How narrowly or broadly are we defining “bread” for this purpose?

(Image)

That's a sandwich, I've had a PB&J with butter on it, but in this case it's glaze and donuts, so ye, sandwich.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 pm

Galloism wrote:How narrowly or broadly are we defining “bread” for this purpose?

(Image)

My teeth hurt looking at that -- but you could stretch a point and call that a sandwich. Also: food within two discrete slices of bagel or croissant could also be called a sandwich.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Dytarma wrote:

(Image)

That's a sandwich, I've had a PB&J with butter on it, but in this case it's glaze and donuts, so ye, sandwich.

Not necessarily a pure sandwich, I'd call it a donut sandwich.. having said that it looks appealing.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Galloism wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Depends: if it is a smooth puree or broth, yes. If it has chunks of stuff in it, no.

Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Back to the hotdog, would a taco also not count as a sandwich? They share surprisingly a lot of things in common.
Last edited by Dytarma on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Dytarma wrote:Back to the hotdog, would a taco also not count? They share surprisingly a lot of things in common.

Hot dog tacos ... very interesting.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Galloism wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Depends: if it is a smooth puree or broth, yes. If it has chunks of stuff in it, no.

Minestrone is not stew, nor is pasta e fagioli. And Italian Wedding Soup has meatballs in it.

I would say a stew is a thickened liquid containing primarily meat, with the addition of some vegetables.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Dytarma wrote:That's a sandwich, I've had a PB&J with butter on it, but in this case it's glaze and donuts, so ye, sandwich.

Not necessarily a pure sandwich, I'd call it a donut sandwich.. having said that it looks appealing.

Yeah, I'd give it an adjective to describe it more in detail.
Dytarma's Birthday

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Dytarma wrote:Back to the hotdog, would a taco also not count as a sandwich? They share surprisingly a lot of things in common.

No, a taco is not a sandwich. A soft taco uses a single tortilla, so not a sandwich. A hard taco is meat and veg inside a tortilla chip.
Last edited by Katganistan on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Dytarma wrote:Back to the hotdog, would a taco also not count? They share surprisingly a lot of things in common.

Well, for the double slicers, a taco wouldn’t be a sandwich.

However, a Mexican pizza would.

Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:42 pm

By the logic of a sandwich being any sweet or savory thing between grain, a lasagna would be a sandwich
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Aureumterra wrote:By the logic of a sandwich being any sweet or savory thing between grain, a lasagna would be a sandwich

Well, a lasagna does have multiple layers of bread disconnected from each other.

Dytarma
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Dytarma wrote:Back to the hotdog, would a taco also not count as a sandwich? They share surprisingly a lot of things in common.

No, a taco is not a sandwich.

Yeah, I thought that.
Galloism wrote:

I love some Mexican pizza, it's very good.
Farnhamia wrote:

Hot dog tacos ... very interesting.

I just now thought of the Spaghetti Taco from iCarly when thinking of weird food combinations.
Last edited by Dytarma on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dytarma's Birthday

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Galloism wrote:

Hmm. I'd have to agree, although it does lose the "able to be picked up and eaten by hand" quality. Then again, there are open-faced sandwiches, so that should not be a disqualifier.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Aureumterra wrote:By the logic of a sandwich being any sweet or savory thing between grain, a lasagna would be a sandwich

Bread. And it would be disastrous to try to pick up and eat by hand.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Katganistan wrote:

Where’s your sense of adventure?

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Galloism wrote:
Dytarma wrote:It is indeed a sandwich, though let's hope that we don't go anywhere more cursed.

There’s always sandwich options without bread:

On a tangential note, thank you for giving me my revenge to the delegate declaring pineapple pizza the OG pizza in Esquarium. :P

I don't think pizzas are sandwiches, but at least I am satisfied with the way things turned out.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Galloism wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

I don't use my hands at all when I eat.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 pm

Dogmeat wrote:
Galloism wrote:Where’s your sense of adventure?

I don't use my hands at all when I eat.

That sounds very challenging.

Neo Confederate States
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Confederate States » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 pm

SCREW U GUYS I JUST ATE AND NOW IM HUNGRY AGAIN CUZ OF ALL THIS CRAP!

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Galloism wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

Experience in an Italian-American family watching kidlets eat lasagna by hand tells me this will end poorly -- or with a commercial about washing machines or laundry detergent with stain fighting power.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Neo Confederate States wrote:SCREW U GUYS I JUST ATE AND NOW IM HUNGRY AGAIN CUZ OF ALL THIS CRAP!

EAT MOAR.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General