NATION

PASSWORD

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Yes
42%
No
43%
Do Not Care
14%

Total votes : 472

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Galloism wrote:
Dytarma wrote:Thus making it one slice of bread, there for not a sandwich.

Is this a sandwich?

#cursedimage /s

No, that is a PB&J (I assume) hotdog. Either that or the one bun was split in half, and then put on top of the other half, therefor it is a sandwich.
Last edited by Dytarma on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Loltacos wrote:So, I want to know want you guys think.
Is a hot dog a sandwich?
P.S. Dear Mods, if I posted it in the wrong spot, please tell me via forum post in this thread.

It's fine here but two sentences do not an OP make. You should provide you're opinion, your reasons, maybe some background on the sandwich as a thing. I believe there have been court cases about what constitutes a sandwich. Get hopping.

I personally do not think a hot dog is a sandwich. It is a sausage on a bun. Hamburgers, on the other hand, are.

Since you have expressed your opinion on the bun issue in your "voice of mod" color, Can we to assume this is the official position of moderation on the issue? That as far as NationStates is concerned sausages on a bun are not sandwiches , yet hamburgers are. ?

How do I get a second opinion?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:39 pm

--- double p9st -----
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It's fine here but two sentences do not an OP make. You should provide you're opinion, your reasons, maybe some background on the sandwich as a thing. I believe there have been court cases about what constitutes a sandwich. Get hopping.

I personally do not think a hot dog is a sandwich. It is a sausage on a bun. Hamburgers, on the other hand, are.

Since you have expressed your opinion on the bun issue in your "voice of mod" color, Can we to assume this is the official position of moderation on the issue? That as far as NationStates is concerned sausages on a bun are not sandwiches , yet hamburgers are. ?

How do I get a second opinion?

File a GHR.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Galloism wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:A bun is one piece of bread; it's just bent. Thus, a hot dog is not a sandwich.

Is this a sandwich?

As soon as you break off the bent part, yes, but not currently.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:43 pm

If this abomination can be considered a sandwich, I have no qualms letting hot dogs be sandwiches.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Galloism wrote:Is this a sandwich?

As soon as you break off the bent part, yes, but not currently.

So what would call this? A peanut butter what?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Cute Puppies wrote:Yes. No question. Anyone who disagrees is a dirty capitalist pig.

I'm a dirty capitalist pig, I still think a hot dog is a sandwich.
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Hatterleigh wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:A bun is one piece of bread; it's just bent. Thus, a hot dog is not a sandwich.

No it isn't. It's two slices of bread that are connected at the edge. This comment really does anger me on a primal level.

And how do you presume the bread got to be connected at the edge, fusion?

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Galloism wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:As soon as you break off the bent part, yes, but not currently.

What is it exactly?
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

A Sandwich
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby A Sandwich » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Personally speaking, I am disgusted one would even think to lump my brethren in with these repulsive, inedible excuses for sausages.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 pm

Galloism wrote:

We don't have a word for this because that's not a common piece of cuisine here (for good reason, that thing looks disgusting). I'd imagine most would say it's a sandwich, but it isn't by the technical definition.

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 pm

Galloism wrote:

A peanut butter hotdog. Sounds silly, but that's what I'd call it.
Luziyca wrote:If this abomination can be considered a sandwich, I have no qualms letting hot dogs be sandwiches.

Oh... god, what did you look up?
Last edited by Dytarma on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Dytarma wrote:
Galloism wrote:So what would call this? A peanut butter what?
A peanut butter hotdog. Sounds silly, but that's what I'd call it.

Oh... god, what did you look up?

I just searched Google Images for "most disgusting sandwiches."

I have no regrets. :P
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Galloism wrote:

Half sandwich. Not a complete one. It is lacking.... half.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:47 pm

I swear i'm about to lash out at someone i'm that mad dude so I think I need to take a break from this argument. I leave for now with one last message - if this is a sandwich, then there is literally no reason that a hot dog isn't a sandwich. As long as there are two lobes covering the sandwich, it doesn't matter if they're connected or not.
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Galloism wrote:So what would call this? A peanut butter what?

We don't have a word for this because that's not a common piece of cuisine here (for good reason, that thing looks disgusting). I'd imagine most would say it's a sandwich, but it isn't by the technical definition.

And yet, Merriam-Webster dictionary sayeth:

Definition of sandwich

1 a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
b : one slice of bread covered with food

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sandwich
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Hatterleigh wrote:I swear i'm about to lash out at someone i'm that mad dude so I think I need to take a break from this argument. I leave for now with one last message - if this is a sandwich, then there is literally no reason that a hot dog isn't a sandwich. As long as there are two lobes covering the sandwich, it doesn't matter if they're connected or not.

That's a sub, not a sandwich.

A Sandwich
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby A Sandwich » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Luziyca wrote:If this abomination can be considered a sandwich, I have no qualms letting hot dogs be sandwiches.

What in God's name!?

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Galloism wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:We don't have a word for this because that's not a common piece of cuisine here (for good reason, that thing looks disgusting). I'd imagine most would say it's a sandwich, but it isn't by the technical definition.

And yet, Merriam-Webster dictionary sayeth:

Definition of sandwich

1 a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
b : one slice of bread covered with food

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sandwich

That's pretty clearly heresy -- one slice of bread covered with food? Anyway, Dictionary.com says it's
two or more slices of bread or the like with a layer of meat, fish, cheese, etc., between each pair.

One split slice of bread is not two or more slices of bread.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Hatterleigh wrote:I swear i'm about to lash out at someone i'm that mad dude so I think I need to take a break from this argument. I leave for now with one last message - if this is a sandwich, then there is literally no reason that a hot dog isn't a sandwich. As long as there are two lobes covering the sandwich, it doesn't matter if they're connected or not.

That's why the connected aspect is a blind alley.. it has no bearing on whether it's a sandwich or not. The key is whether you can eat it in a default cold state.

十年

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

Sub stands for submarine sandwich!!!

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

"Subs" redirects here. For the film, see Subs (film).

They're sandwiches.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

Behold, The Submarine Sandwich.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Hatterleigh wrote:I swear i'm about to lash out at someone i'm that mad dude so I think I need to take a break from this argument.

Seriously? :blink:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General