NATION

PASSWORD

California to Vote on Splitting in Three in November

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
New Emeline
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6280
Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Water rights is actually an interesting discussion.

User avatar
Northeast American Federation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 796
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Northeast American Federation » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:58 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Northeast American Federation wrote:Shh, they can't blame white racist Drumpf supporters for that, so we don't talk about it.

If you think we should talk about it, make a thread for it.

Thread OPs require more than just me saying "this happens and I don't like it", which is about the extent of what I have to say about it because I honestly know very little about what's going on there.
Geneviev wrote:
Northeast American Federation wrote:It's a breakup, not a secession. Well, at least this particular push isn't for secession. And last I checked, there are certain areas of policy in which the federal government has authority over the states. Constitutional authority at that. I suppose we could go crazy over the states rights argument but in the state this country is in, it's liable to go the same way it did the last time it came up during a time when the country was frenzied.

I meant a state, as in one state. Secession is something completely different and a subject of its own. I mean, Yes California and Calexit campaigns are trying to revive again.

This country's going to ruin itself in my opinion. A house divided on itself can not stand and all that. Even this thread has people saying they don't like California - which, last I checked, is unrelated.

I give it a couple decades, tops, the way things are going. Less if there's any major global destabilization events.
Last edited by Northeast American Federation on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: United States of America, American Exceptionalism, Bill of Rights, Capitalism, Western Civilization, Federalism, Nationalism, Democratic Republics, Militarism, Traditional Families and gender roles, Space Exploration, Law and Order, Equality of opportunity(not to be confused with outcome), Border Security
Anti: Communism, Socialism, Modern Feminism, "Progressivism", Nazism(actual nazism, not "you disagree with me so you're a nazi" nazism), Monarchy, Globalism, Racism and racial supremacy groups of all colors, radical Islamic terrorism, Anarchism, Direct Democracy, Open Borders, Drugs, Antifa

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51453
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Northeast American Federation wrote:
Bakra wrote:
Probably for the same reason we’re discussing the non-possibility of California dividing rather than the ethnic cleansings in Burma.

Shh, they can't blame white racist Drumpf supporters for that, so we don't talk about it.


That's a mighty fine strawman you got there.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
Northeast American Federation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 796
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Northeast American Federation » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 pm

New Emeline wrote:Water rights is actually an interesting discussion.

Maybe a good thread topic someone could start......
Pro: United States of America, American Exceptionalism, Bill of Rights, Capitalism, Western Civilization, Federalism, Nationalism, Democratic Republics, Militarism, Traditional Families and gender roles, Space Exploration, Law and Order, Equality of opportunity(not to be confused with outcome), Border Security
Anti: Communism, Socialism, Modern Feminism, "Progressivism", Nazism(actual nazism, not "you disagree with me so you're a nazi" nazism), Monarchy, Globalism, Racism and racial supremacy groups of all colors, radical Islamic terrorism, Anarchism, Direct Democracy, Open Borders, Drugs, Antifa

User avatar
New Emeline
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6280
Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Northeast American Federation wrote:
New Emeline wrote:Water rights is actually an interesting discussion.

Maybe a good thread topic someone could start......

I meant in pertaining to this specific discussion.

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 42120
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby San Lumen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Kramanica wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
Why dont you care?

Because I don't care about someone's tuition at UC Berkley.

what about prisons, state pensions, education funding? All that would have to worked out as well. And you should care about someone having their tuition rise even though they are down the coast. Thats just wrong and absurd.

User avatar
Northeast American Federation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 796
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Northeast American Federation » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:01 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Northeast American Federation wrote:Maybe a good thread topic someone could start......

I meant in pertaining to this specific discussion.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge California already sources some of its water from other states. These states don't seem to have had many issues with supplying them(presumably so long as CA pays for it). The argument that this suddenly would change if California split up therefore seems quite weak to me.
Pro: United States of America, American Exceptionalism, Bill of Rights, Capitalism, Western Civilization, Federalism, Nationalism, Democratic Republics, Militarism, Traditional Families and gender roles, Space Exploration, Law and Order, Equality of opportunity(not to be confused with outcome), Border Security
Anti: Communism, Socialism, Modern Feminism, "Progressivism", Nazism(actual nazism, not "you disagree with me so you're a nazi" nazism), Monarchy, Globalism, Racism and racial supremacy groups of all colors, radical Islamic terrorism, Anarchism, Direct Democracy, Open Borders, Drugs, Antifa

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23694
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm

It's a non issue
FUTBOL GANG
Somewhere to the left of Attila the Hun
Social Juchetice Warrior
More cool stuff

Pizzagate expert
Guinean Unionist

The NS Parliament—Christian People's Congress: Join us! For family and faith.

User avatar
Zyr and Pony
Envoy
 
Posts: 286
Founded: Feb 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Zyr and Pony » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Northeast American Federation wrote:
New Emeline wrote:I meant in pertaining to this specific discussion.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge California already sources some of its water from other states. These states don't seem to have had many issues with supplying them(presumably so long as CA pays for it). The argument that this suddenly would change if California split up therefore seems quite weak to me.

The states do take issue with California taking their water, actually. There have been multiple SCOTUS cases over the issue, in fact, under the name Arizona v. California, where SCOTUS had to decide how the water was divided up
The Burden of proof is on the one making the claim, not the one challenging it. If you make a claim, you back it up. (and no, anecdotes are not evidence)
Bleeding-heart Liberal, through and through.
Aspie
Agnostic
Social Democrat
Yuri fan
Because so many have this
For: social democracy, gun control, LGBT rights, high taxes on the rich, cats, progressivism
Anti: gun bans, unrestrained capitalism, punitive taxes on the poor, tradition for the sake of tradition, claims that gun control advocates are after gun bans

User avatar
New Emeline
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6280
Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Northeast American Federation wrote:
New Emeline wrote:I meant in pertaining to this specific discussion.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge California already sources some of its water from other states. These states don't seem to have had many issues with supplying them(presumably so long as CA pays for it). The argument that this suddenly would change if California split up therefore seems quite weak to me.

That's fair.

User avatar
Geneviev
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13270
Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Geneviev » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Kramanica wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
Why dont you care?

Because I don't care about someone's tuition at UC Berkley.

I would have to pay out-of-state to go to Berkeley if this happens. I already don't know if I'll be able to pay now, let alone with that additional cost. I'd be forced to go to UC San Diego.

If you don't care, I still do.
"An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge." Proverbs 18:15

User avatar
Herskerstad
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10259
Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Would even the divisions give one Red block for two blue ones, or would it just accomplish giving Cali 6 senators?
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 139962
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:19 pm

First one California. Then three. Soon all of America will be California.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Coughing Etiquette That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30570
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:22 pm

You guys gotta stop making a thread every time someone goes on about splitting California up or separating it. This has been a state pastime since before WWII.
Everything for the cat.

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 105658
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Northeast American Federation wrote:
Bakra wrote:
Probably for the same reason we’re discussing the non-possibility of California dividing rather than the ethnic cleansings in Burma.

Shh, they can't blame white racist Drumpf supporters for that, so we don't talk about it.

Substituting "Drumpf" for "Trump" is considered trolling by political nicknaming. Do not do it. This is your one and only free pass. You might find the Rules illuminating.
Wash Your Damned Hands!

Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
Albrenia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12609
Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Albrenia » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Ifreann wrote:First one California. Then three. Soon all of America will be California.


Then the world will just be an endless series of California. Then those will split into smaller ones, and soon we'll all be our own California.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 139962
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:First one California. Then three. Soon all of America will be California.


Then the world will just be an endless series of California. Then those will split into smaller ones, and soon we'll all be our own California.

We are California. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our marijuana breeding programs and tech industry.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Coughing Etiquette That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33305
Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:36 pm

No, just no.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA wrote:
New Emeline wrote:Why do they want to do this?

To level out the playing field in favor of smaller states during national elections and to give political and other minorities a voice.



I love your name.

User avatar
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Apr 11, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 pm

San Lumen wrote:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA wrote:To level out the playing field in favor of smaller states during national elections and to give political and other minorities a voice.


Smaller states already have more power. This proposal wouldn't give any minority a voice.

See: Northern California.
THE NAMELESS VOID OF AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, Led by The SCREECHER. FEAR THE SCREECHER
A division of Earth Industries LLC

( ༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ )
THE NEWS!!! | "AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!" SAYS THE SCREECHER | THE NAMELESS VOID DECLARES WAR ON PUBLIC LIBRARIES IN ANTI-SILENCE CAMPAIGN! | THE SCREECHER DEMANDS THAT PRETENTIOUS PLAYERS BE ERADICATED! | "THE MUSIC OF ERICH ZAHN" NOW STREAMING ON CHILL BEATS RADIO! |

i n t e r s t i n g | a m b i e n c e

User avatar
The Creatures Beyond the Forth Wall
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Apr 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Creatures Beyond the Forth Wall » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
Smaller states already have more power. This proposal wouldn't give any minority a voice.

See: Northern California.

See: All of California that isn't the coast.
Last edited by The Creatures Beyond the Forth Wall on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This nation is solely for forum 7 shitposting
TL;DR/W: The IRL Humans become a hivemind and discover that NSverse is real. So, they did what humanity does best and invaded
The only nation stronger than Hammer Britannia

User avatar
Maichuko
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1574
Founded: May 02, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Maichuko » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:15 pm

It seems like a rich guy in Silicon valley is always trying to break up the my state.
Sometimes were in the world war 2 era, sometimes were in the modern day.
Long Live the Emperor of all Maichukoans! May he live 100 years!
(V)(;,,;)(V) woop woop woop woop

User avatar
New Emeline
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6280
Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Maichuko wrote:It seems like a rich guy in Silicon valley is always trying to break up the my state.

Wait, who did it before?

User avatar
The Creatures Beyond the Forth Wall
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Apr 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Creatures Beyond the Forth Wall » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Maichuko wrote:It seems like a rich guy in Silicon valley is always trying to break up the my state.

A Rich Silicon Valley guy is always wanting to do literally anything and everything
This nation is solely for forum 7 shitposting
TL;DR/W: The IRL Humans become a hivemind and discover that NSverse is real. So, they did what humanity does best and invaded
The only nation stronger than Hammer Britannia

User avatar
New Emeline
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6280
Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:22 pm

The Creatures Beyond the Forth Wall wrote:
Maichuko wrote:It seems like a rich guy in Silicon valley is always trying to break up the my state.

A Rich Silicon Valley guy is always wanting to do literally anything and everything

True

User avatar
Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30570
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:39 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Maichuko wrote:It seems like a rich guy in Silicon valley is always trying to break up the my state.

Wait, who did it before?

The list goes back decades.
Everything for the cat.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aeritai, Asle Leopolka, Fedel, Fuvuni, Greed and Death, Lamenia, Loben The 2nd, Maineiacs, Majestic-12 [Bot], Polish Prussian Commonwealth, Pup01, Salus Maior, Shazbotdom, South Odreria 2, Spirit of Hope, Stellar Colonies, The Chuck, Tlaceceyaya, United Holdings Incorporated, VVerkia

Advertisement

Remove ads