NATION

PASSWORD

Atheism Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your position regarding religion?

Atheist
33%
Theist
21%
Agnostic/Agnostic Atheist
19%
Secular Humanist
9%
Skeptic
2%
Nihilist/Relativist
4%
Anti-Theist
4%
Anti-Atheist
4%
Satanist/Occultist
2%
Esoterical Post-Positivist Dialecticist
2%

Total votes : 293

Sensual Lettuce
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sensual Lettuce » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:34 am

"Do you think god stays in heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he's created?" - Spy Kids 2

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:52 am

Sensual Lettuce wrote:"Do you think god stays in heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he's created?" - Spy Kids 2

I mean, He came down to Earth as Jesus Christ and then descended into Hell to conquer death after He was crucified, so He knows what it's like down here.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:30 pm

I don't know enough about the repair mechanisms of DNA to comment on that part, but I do know from the host of disabilities, mutations and the like that it is far from perfect, even though I'll admit it is quite impressive.

Again, it's all exactly what one would expect from Evolution.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Dylar wrote:
Sensual Lettuce wrote:"Do you think god stays in heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he's created?" - Spy Kids 2

I mean, He came down to Earth as Jesus Christ and then descended into Hell to conquer death after He was crucified, so He knows what it's like down here.

Why would he need to conquer death if he created it?
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:57 pm

The New California Republic wrote:If you can't talk to me in a civilized manner, then don't talk to me at all. I have had this problem with you before, it needs to stop.

Lower Nubia wrote:Easily. Avoidable... right, sure, you get back to me when you present an easy alternative, also, Basic. Cellular. Mechanisms. Are you ... I mean... what? There so ridiculously complicated, beyond anything that man, and the very limit at which nature can operate! Basic. Cellular... That's how I know you know nothing, because someone who knows, does not call Cellular machinery: "Basic". Yeah, it's basic... gosh I wonder why its taken us 50 years to just scratch the surface of this "Basic" thing. Ughhh.

And the major attitude problem continues unabated. There is no excuse for it. I asked you to stop, and you doubled down. Consider yourself ignored. If you cannot debate with me in a civil manner, then you won't debate with me at all.

Godular wrote:
Dylar wrote:I mean, He came down to Earth as Jesus Christ and then descended into Hell to conquer death after He was crucified, so He knows what it's like down here.

Good point. Unless it is claimed that Satan created it.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

New Emeline
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:09 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:If you can't talk to me in a civilized manner, then don't talk to me at all. I have had this problem with you before, it needs to stop.

Lower Nubia wrote:Easily. Avoidable... right, sure, you get back to me when you present an easy alternative, also, Basic. Cellular. Mechanisms. Are you ... I mean... what? There so ridiculously complicated, beyond anything that man, and the very limit at which nature can operate! Basic. Cellular... That's how I know you know nothing, because someone who knows, does not call Cellular machinery: "Basic". Yeah, it's basic... gosh I wonder why its taken us 50 years to just scratch the surface of this "Basic" thing. Ughhh.

And the major attitude problem continues unabated. There is no excuse for it. I asked you to stop, and you doubled down. Consider yourself ignored. If you cannot debate with me in a civil manner, then you won't debate with me at all.

Godular wrote:

Besides, basic doesn't mean easy to figure out...

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:13 pm

New Emeline wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:And the major attitude problem continues unabated. There is no excuse for it. I asked you to stop, and you doubled down. Consider yourself ignored. If you cannot debate with me in a civil manner, then you won't debate with me at all.

Sure, that too. But to be honest I am done debating with him. You can carry it on if you want, but I'm done.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:16 pm

Godular wrote:

God created Satan, so... still his responsibility.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Godular wrote:God created Satan, so... still his responsibility.

Yup. That always bothered me as well, if God really is omnipotent, why didn't he just destroy Satan as soon as he rebelled against him? Was God having an off day, or feeling generous perhaps?

Wave on, wave on

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:19 pm

New Emeline wrote:

One only needs to look at the surface of Evo Devo to recognize that basic rules can have very complicated results. Hell, that’s how ALL science works.
New to F7? Click here!

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Godular wrote:
New Emeline wrote:Besides, basic doesn't mean easy to figure out...

One only needs to look at the surface of Evo Devo to recognize that basic rules can have very complicated results. Hell, that’s how ALL science works.

That's heathen speak ;)

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Godular wrote:God created Satan, so... still his responsibility.

Yup. That always bothered me as well, if God really is omnipotent, why didn't he just destroy Satan as soon as he rebelled against him? Was God having an off day, or feeling generous perhaps?

The only viable answer is the devil’s working under orders.
New to F7? Click here!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Godular wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yup. That always bothered me as well, if God really is omnipotent, why didn't he just destroy Satan as soon as he rebelled against him? Was God having an off day, or feeling generous perhaps?

There was a time when Christians would burn us at the stake for claiming that God is in cahoots with Satan.

Wave on, wave on

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Godular wrote:

There was a time when Christians would burn us at the stake for claiming that God is in cahoots with Satan.

Well, that would technically be incorrect as it implies that God is the one taking orders.

No, Satan is in cahoots with God.

As we all know, the phrasing is critical... even taking imperfect translations into account because reasons!
New to F7? Click here!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Godular wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:There was a time when Christians would burn us at the stake for claiming that God is in cahoots with Satan.

Well, that would technically be incorrect as it implies that God is the one taking orders.

As we all know, the phrasing is critical... even taking imperfect translations into account because reasons!

Meh. We are talking about fictional characters from a story book anyway, so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

Wave on, wave on

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Godular wrote:

Meh. We are talking about fictional characters from a story book anyway, so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

Religions and mythologies are bit more interesting than "fictional characters from a storybook" even though that's technically what they are.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Valrifell wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Meh. We are talking about fictional characters from a story book anyway, so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

Religions and mythologies are bit more interesting than "fictional characters from a storybook" even though that's technically what they are.

Just as an aside, I actually find the Arthurian legends to be infinitely more interesting than the Biblical ones.

Wave on, wave on

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Valrifell wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Meh. We are talking about fictional characters from a story book anyway, so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

Not really. I find it eminently more entertaining when somebody tells a good story that keeps things realistic... a particularly hard feat in sci-fi.
New to F7? Click here!

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:37 pm

Whoa...

Does this make Star Wars Prequels the OT or the NT?

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Albrenia wrote:Whoa...

OT, right?

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:40 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Albrenia wrote:Whoa...

OT, right?

That's what I'd go with, what with the less likeable characters, earlier timeline and nonsensical explanations.

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Albrenia wrote:
New Emeline wrote:OT, right?

That's what I'd go with, what with the less likeable characters, earlier timeline and nonsensical explanations.

Does that mean Luke is Jesus?

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:42 pm

Godular wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Not really. I find it eminently more entertaining when somebody tells a good story that keeps things realistic... a particularly hard feat in sci-fi.

That's just preference, I think. But I also find the whole concept of ritualistic faith to be really interesting.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:42 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Does that mean Luke is Jesus?

Skywalker... walk on water... rain falls from the sky... rain is water.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Albrenia wrote:
New Emeline wrote:Does that mean Luke is Jesus?

Skywalker... walk on water... rain falls from the sky... rain is water.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

Wait, so who's God? Is the Force equivalent to God?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General