NATION

PASSWORD

Immigration Discussion: Its a hard knock life!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your View On Immigration?

Full open borders, no security
4%
Open borders, with security and can be denied if commited major crime in the last few years
39%
Limited Immigration, based on basic labor standards
11%
Limited Immigration, based on high skilled labor. Melting Pot Model
36%
Closed Borders
6%
Closed Borders, no emigration
4%

Total votes : 124

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Why? For example, I am an immigrant to Japan. My wife is of Japanese birth. My sons hold duel citizenship.

Now, I, as an adult, work, pay taxes, am a teacher, and a volunteer firefighter in my community.

None of the above apply to my sons nor my wife at this point in her life (Actually I have a longer record of paying taxes than she does currently). So... why is it logical to value them over me?

*sighs* Here we go again. See the post a bit above you about that.

Just more sad about the ignorance, really.

Did you move to Japan illegally?

No, but that has nothing to do with the post.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:52 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Sicaris wrote:

How so? Nationalism is, as defined by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary;

“loyalty and devotion to a nation”.

How is that bad?

Mostly because nationalist have a tendency to take it to the "That means we're better than them*".

*Them can be applied however you wish.

In addition, it's a great excuse for people to turn a blind eye to horrors just because they happen across a border.

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:54 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Did you move to Japan illegally?

No, but that has nothing to do with the post.

It does have to do with Sicaris's however. If you come to a country illegally the only thing you ''deserve'' is a one way trip back. Moving to other people's lands isn't a right.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
NERVUN wrote:No, but that has nothing to do with the post.

It does have to do with Sicaris's however. If you come to a country illegally the only thing you ''deserve'' is a one way trip back. Moving to other people's lands isn't a right.

It technically is.
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
NERVUN wrote:No, but that has nothing to do with the post.

You may want to read again.

Sicaris wrote:Resources should not be given to illegal immigrants and immigrants from another country should not be the primary concern of the country they want to live in. Let the country take care of it’s own citizens and own problems first before devoting resources to people that aren’t even of that country.

He didn't just call out only illegal immigrants, but ALL immigrants.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:57 pm

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declarat ... an-rights/
Article 3: Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.
Article 13: (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.
Article 15: (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:01 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

You may want to read again.

Sicaris wrote:Resources should not be given to illegal immigrants and immigrants from another country should not be the primary concern of the country they want to live in. Let the country take care of it’s own citizens and own problems first before devoting resources to people that aren’t even of that country.

He didn't just call out only illegal immigrants, but ALL immigrants.

I agree with the illegal immigrant bit however.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:16 pm

All this not wanting illegal immigrants. So make them legal or at least give them yearly temporary work permits after which time they go back home until next year.

One result of getting tough on immigrants can be found in the state of Michigan. Seems that they cannot find enough people to milk and take care of cows in Michigan. Seems US citizens are not into milking cows or cleaning up after them for the price they are paying unless everyone would like to pay $10 for a gallon of milk.

So there solution is to advertise for cheap labor at the job centers located in the US territories :o They should go milk there own cows or get out of the cow milking business altogether. :lol:

Actually, Bolivians and Nicaraguans workers would be ideal for this job since both nations have plenty of people who tend to cows/cattle.
Last edited by Rio Cana on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Rio Cana wrote:All this not wanting illegal immigrants. So make them legal or at least give them yearly temporary work permits after which time they go back home until next year.

Please go and rethink these two sentences for a little bit, and then come back to this thread.

One result of getting tough on immigrants can be found in the state of Michigan. Seems that they cannot find enough people to milk and take care of cows in Michigan. Seems US citizens are not into milking cows or cleaning up after them for the price they are paying unless everyone would like to pay $10 for a gallon of milk.

Same goes for this one.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Rio Cana wrote:All this not wanting illegal immigrants. So make them legal or at least give them yearly temporary work permits after which time they go back home until next year.

um no? they need to go back.

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:

Please go and rethink these two sentences for a little bit, and then come back to this thread.

Same goes for this one.

So what's the problem!!

People complain about illegals but certain industries need them. So make them legal. If you want it more clearly then I mean this
Temporary worker visas are for persons who want to enter the United States for employment lasting a fixed period of time, and are not considered permanent or indefinite. Each of these visas requires the prospective employer to first file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

When it comes to the last statement what's the problem!! I am just showing an example. It seems with the tough stance on illegals immigrants, many low paying industries have decided to look for cheap labor in the US territories since in there own States they cannot find anyone willing to work under who knows what conditions and most likely no benefits for those low wages.

Are you now satisfied.
Last edited by Rio Cana on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Even being a regular immigrant is somewhat of a pain - one needs a visa to work, but that also means one needs to work to maintain a visa. That can be restrictive in the decisions one makes, you're less free to quit, you have less support if you do and if you're laid off your decisions are that more stark.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Neu Leonstein
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:16 pm

Bombadil wrote:Even being a regular immigrant is somewhat of a pain - one needs a visa to work, but that also means one needs to work to maintain a visa. That can be restrictive in the decisions one makes, you're less free to quit, you have less support if you do and if you're laid off your decisions are that more stark.

Tell me about it. Me and my partner are about to spend more than A$10,000 just on paperwork so that she can come live with me permanently and work and all that. And the amount of information they want about your private life to make a judgement on whether or not they deem your relationship genuine would make anyone with even the slightest hint of a civil liberties bent shudder.
“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:34 pm

Neu Leonstein wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Even being a regular immigrant is somewhat of a pain - one needs a visa to work, but that also means one needs to work to maintain a visa. That can be restrictive in the decisions one makes, you're less free to quit, you have less support if you do and if you're laid off your decisions are that more stark.

Tell me about it. Me and my partner are about to spend more than A$10,000 just on paperwork so that she can come live with me permanently and work and all that. And the amount of information they want about your private life to make a judgement on whether or not they deem your relationship genuine would make anyone with even the slightest hint of a civil liberties bent shudder.

You have my sympathies. I went through the same circus when going from instructor to spouse visa. They wanted photos, letters, etc.

Oddly enough, the paperwork wasn't nearly so invasive going from spouse to permanent resident.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:01 am

Neu Leonstein wrote:

Wasn't there a case a couple of years ago of someone who was technically an illegal immigrant in Australia who had married a single mother with children, essentially been a good husband who paid his taxes yet was discovered some 10-15 years later and threatened with being thrown out.

There's been a spate of cases recently in the UK where this is the same, people who've lived there for some 30-40 years on a review, and finally in comes the review to kick them out despite having built a life.

I think people really need to consider the different types of immigrants before blanket judging. Truth is sometimes it's hard to move somewhere even legally. It can be very hard to stay somewhere illegally but they're looking for a better life so it's worth it.

And it's hard to drop the comfort of cultural memories in a new environment.

The language around immigration is often so at the edge of definitions, good or bad without the millions of stories in between. And frankly the strict and lengthy legislation often in place creates the path of illegal entry because it can be easier just to get there first and ask questions later.
Last edited by Bombadil on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Pamat
Secretary

Founded: Apr 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Pamat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:24 am

Dang. This thread is getting farther then I though. I though it would have died but no, it keeps getting better!

Likar
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Likar » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:38 am

Bump
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Muslim and proud!
Your Local Dank Meme Lord™
Classical(ish) Liberal
Seriously, why are you looking at this.

Likar
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Likar » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:23 am

I did melting pot model
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Muslim and proud!
Your Local Dank Meme Lord™
Classical(ish) Liberal
Seriously, why are you looking at this.

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:56 am

Neu Leonstein wrote:
Trumptonium1 wrote:Either way, what's your point?

You know the answer to that question. But let's just say that, having grown up in Germany in the 1990s, the idea of an anti-immigration eastern European is amusing to me.

Kubumba Tribe wrote:American who has lived in Australia for a year. Does that help?

It does, though obviously not as much as if it had been to somewhere that's genuinely different.

North Ogaden wrote:Limiting the discussion to an extremely small and likely biased demographic doesn't seem intuitive to a good debate/discussion at all.

Well, first of all, ask yourself why that demographic would be biased.

But aside from that, why should actual experience not be a prerequisite for having one's opinion be taken seriously? Nobody will take my opinion about period pains seriously, because as a biological male I haven't had any and won't have any. Similarly, I don't see the value of someone in some 95%-white medium-sized town in the American midwest making pronouncements on how people of different cultures can't live together.

Well I've only lived in immigrant heavy neighborhoods, and most others I frequent are immigrant heavy too.

But I'm not an immigrant.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Xadufell
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Xadufell » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:07 am

Mushet wrote:
Neu Leonstein wrote:You know the answer to that question. But let's just say that, having grown up in Germany in the 1990s, the idea of an anti-immigration eastern European is amusing to me.

It does, though obviously not as much as if it had been to somewhere that's genuinely different.

Well, first of all, ask yourself why that demographic would be biased.

But aside from that, why should actual experience not be a prerequisite for having one's opinion be taken seriously? Nobody will take my opinion about period pains seriously, because as a biological male I haven't had any and won't have any. Similarly, I don't see the value of someone in some 95%-white medium-sized town in the American midwest making pronouncements on how people of different cultures can't live together.

Well I've only lived in immigrant heavy neighborhoods, and most others I frequent are immigrant heavy too.

But I'm not an immigrant.

Sweet dollar tea from McDonalds, I drink that. Supah-hot-fire, I spit dat.

But I'm not a rapper

28 Year old autistic twat.
!!!WE MADE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Pro: Right Wing, Israel, The Donald, Guns, Free Speech, Capitalism, Switzerland, Germany, Britain leaving the EU, TEMPORARY ban on Muslims until everything gets sorted out, Republicans, Russia.
Anti: Hillary, Sanders, Democrats, Radical Islam, ISIS, Illegal Immigration, BLM (Because they obviously do.), Obama, MSNBC, Left Wing, Radical Anything (Virtually), Turkey, Trump Protesters who have no valid points.

Grinning Dragon wrote:Why would anyone waste a good bullet on the likes of CNN anyway? I don't understand why anyone would get that worked up over a bunch of dipshits, christ if their shit show is getting you that worked up, just turn the damn thing off and go for a walk/run/ride.

Aillyria
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aillyria » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:25 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:http://www.un.org/en/universal-declarat ... an-rights/
Article 13: (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.
Article 15: (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Good, they have 190 or so countries to choose from. So, they can go to Europe and take advantage of their save-all-the immigrants-at-the-expense-of-our-citizens policies :p
Conserative Morality wrote:If RWDT were Romans, who would they be?
Aillyria would be Claudius. Temper + unwillingness to suffer fools + supporter of the P E O P L E + traditional legalist

West Oros wrote:GOD DAMMIT! I thought you wouldn't be here.
Well you aren't a real socialist. Just a sociopath disguised as one.
Not to mention that this thread split off from LWDT, so I assumed you would think this thread was a "revisionist hellhole".

L/R: -5.38 L/A: +2.36 8values: Theocratic Distributist
I am female, Sorelianist, Sufi Muslim, Biracial, Murican
USN Vet, Semper Fortis dirtbags!!!

Huntpublic
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Huntpublic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:27 am

Personally I'm not against immigration, I'm against Illegal immigration
HUNTPUBLIC TIMES: The Huntpublican Military has joined the NATO planned Trident Juncture 2018, it's Amphibious Assault Forces will be working closely with U.S. Marines in a simulated naval invasion of Norway, 
more photos and videos to come!

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:30 am

Aillyria wrote:

Good, they have 190 or so countries to choose from. So, they can go to Europe and take advantage of their save-all-the immigrants-at-the-expense-of-our-citizens policies :p

Europe's not doing anything at the expense of its own citizens.
Pro: (Pan-)Islamism--Palestine--RBG--Choice to an extent--Giving land back to Native Americans--East--Afrika--etc.
Anti: US gov--West gov--Capitalism--Imperialism/Colonialism--Racism/White Supremacy--Secularism getting into everything--Western 'intervention' in the East--Zionism--etc.
I'm a New Afrikan Muslim :) https://www.16personalities.com/isfj-personality Sister nation of El-Amin Caliphate
Farnhamia wrote:A word of advice from your friendly neighborhood Mod, be careful how you use "kafir." It's derogatory usage by some people can get you in trouble unless you are very careful in setting the context for it's use.

This means we can use the word, just not in a bad way. So don't punish anyone who uses kafir.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 am

Aillyria wrote:

Foolish Eurotypes, helping people in need instead of just helping people with the right paperwork.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 am

Pamat wrote:Hello everyone! My first discussion so please mind that this will be cringed and bad. But hey might as well try...

Immigration and Migration are things humans have been doing since the dawn of humanity. First leaving Africa, then crawling into the North American grounds and then expanding world wide. Soon people started to think in there tribes and newly found coubtri “How can we keep the good in and bad guys out?”. So they made border control. Then there like “How much birder control?”. The left on politics be like “Let’s accept more people!” while the right be like “More regulation equals no bad guys!”. Back to 2018, everyone thinks different. Now it’s even more complicated with Immigration, because refugees, illegal immigrants and so much more!

Your opinion?

The idea that all of the left is anti-borders is hilarious, just like the idea that pro-borders is a entirely right wing idea
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General