NATION

PASSWORD

Pro-US Infantino (FIFA's President) Accused of Corruption

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Snazzy Blaat wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Dude, once you get out of school no one cares.

Football (actual football, not soccer) is the sport people will burn down cities over.

Apparently football (actual football, not that stuff where you hold the ball in your hands and run with it on the field) is so not cared about, that people who do not care about it, have to tell other people that they don't care about it :roll:

Blaat - you're missing his point. If people don't burn down cities for it - it's just not a popular sport in America. Is your city still standing? Clearly, you have no popular sports!

:P

Just for you:

Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Snazzy Blaat
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 30, 2015

Postby Snazzy Blaat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Snazzy Blaat wrote:
Apparently football (actual football, not that stuff where you hold the ball in your hands and run with it on the field) is so not cared about, that people who do not care about it, have to tell other people that they don't care about it :roll:

Blaat - you're missing his point. If people don't burn down cities for it - it's just not a popular sport in America. Is your city still standing? Clearly, you have no popular sports!

:P

Just for you:

Given that I live in Berlin, apparently the popular sport around here is conquering Soviet Russia. It's when this place got quite burned down :unsure:

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:34 pm

But didn't FIFA say there was no corruption anywhere in FIFA?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Snazzy Blaat wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:iirc Morocco was promised the cup a bit ago but it went to Russia instead? Or one of the other countries, can't remember what year it was for. I would be perfectly happy with it in the US, since, you know, that's close to home.

Why do these get votes?

Because FIFA has strange notions of the term country.

Curacao and Aruba are, but Sint-Maarten isn't. Huh? What?

All three have the exact same status (seperate states inside the Kingdom of Netherlands).

But FIFA changed a rule regarding who gets to be in, and Aruba was grandfathered, Curacao inherited the now grandfathered spot of the now defunct Netherlands Antilles.

Strange, but those are still technically countries. The American ones are territories.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:37 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/13/n ... ght-season

NFL: Attendance of 17,253,425 and here's your source: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ndance.htm

The people attendance said games aren't usually high school students. Dude, I live in California. People here are crazy for NBA, just as they are for NFL.

Are you just going to keep carting out different links?

That pales in comparison to the 103 million who watched the superbowl.

And how many people watch other football games? The Superbowl is an American Tradition. You're throwing that out there, like Hasan Minaj was throwing out a single massively watched soccer game, as proof of women's soccer being profitable on a league-wide level. And you're failing to grasp the irony. You're using a single example to pretend that it's a trend.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Snazzy Blaat
Spokesperson

Postby Snazzy Blaat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:37 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Snazzy Blaat wrote:
Because FIFA has strange notions of the term country.

Curacao and Aruba are, but Sint-Maarten isn't. Huh? What?

All three have the exact same status (seperate states inside the Kingdom of Netherlands).

But FIFA changed a rule regarding who gets to be in, and Aruba was grandfathered, Curacao inherited the now grandfathered spot of the now defunct Netherlands Antilles.

Strange, but those are still technically countries. The American ones are territories.

The strange thing is that one of them is not allowed to be in, while the other two are.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:39 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Are you just going to keep carting out different links?

That pales in comparison to the 103 million who watched the superbowl.

And how many people watch other football games? The Superbowl is an American Tradition. You're throwing that out there, like Hasan Minaj was throwing out a single massively watched soccer game, as proof of women's soccer being profitable on a league-wide level. And you're failing to grasp the irony. You're using a single example to pretend that it's a trend.

And tell me why is the Superbowl a national tradition, while soccer-related events are not?
Running out of nation names faster than I can think of them
American National Syndicalist
"B-but gun control works in Australia..."

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Vassenor wrote:But didn't FIFA say there was no corruption anywhere in FIFA?

There's also no corruption in the IOC. The hotels just volunteer the penthouse rooms for honored guests :P

Snazzy Blaat wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:Strange, but those are still technically countries. The American ones are territories.

The strange thing is that one of them is not allowed to be in, while the other two are.

Boycott FIFA! Long Live Sint-Maarten :P

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:41 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

And tell me why is the Superbowl a national tradition, while soccer-related events are not?

Because Americans love a sport which means they don't have to compete with the rest of the world as much? :p

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:42 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:And tell me why is the Superbowl a national tradition, while soccer-related events are not?

Because Americans love a sport which means they don't have to compete with the rest of the world as much? :p

You wound me, sir.

Snazzy Blaat
Spokesperson

Postby Snazzy Blaat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:42 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:And tell me why is the Superbowl a national tradition, while soccer-related events are not?

It's probably the easiest way to be the best at something.

The Super Bowl is the American version of Korfball :) :blush:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korfball

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

High Quality Marketing. Also, once again, you're using a single example, while trying to pretend, rather desperately, that it's a general trend. It's not. College basketball was hardly watched until March Madness was introduced. Now it's heavily watched. March Madness gets a total of 233 million views: https://www.statista.com/statistics/251 ... -per-game/

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Albrenia wrote:

Ouch!

Snazzy Blaat wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

It's probably the easiest way to be the best at something.

The Super Bowl is the American version of Korfball :) :blush:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korfball

You guys are brutal :P

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Shofercia wrote:

High Quality Marketing. Also, once again, you're using a single example, while trying to pretend, rather desperately, that it's a general trend. It's not. College basketball was hardly watched until March Madness was introduced. Now it's heavily watched. March Madness gets a total of 233 million views: https://www.statista.com/statistics/251 ... -per-game/

Over the total year. :roll:

I'm not pretending anything. I'm just saying soccer ain't all that popular in America.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Kramanica wrote:Literally no one in the US cares about soccer so if this is some way of sticking it to America you've fallen pretty short.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Soccer is crazy popular in several parts of the US, mainly in the South and South west. Here in Atlanta Soccer matches have no trouble filling the stadiums.

I really want the US to host a FIFA World Cup, mainly because Atlanta would be one of the semi-final cities.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Over the total year. :roll:

I'm not pretending anything. I'm just saying soccer ain't all that popular in America.

You ever wonder why it's called March Madness? Hint: it only lasts a month. Over the course of the year, the NBA gets 1.7 billion views. As far as soccer is concerned, international matches are quite profitable, and we are talking about billions of dollars when it comes to the World Cup.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/0 ... th-america

Hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup™ could generate more than $5 billion in short-term economic activity, including supporting approximately 40,000 jobs and more than $1 billion in incremental worker earnings across North America, according to a study done by The Boston Consulting Group (BCG), a leading global management consulting firm. Canada, Mexico and the United States are bidding to host the 48-team tournament in 2026, which will be the largest in FIFA World Cup™ history. The overall net benefit to the region would be $3 – $4 billion.

Now Kramanica - please explain to me why that doesn't matter.
Last edited by Shofercia on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Valrifell wrote:It's soccer.

People have gone to war over it
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:It's soccer.

People have gone to war over it

Ahh Honduras. "Hey, let's kill those putos over soccer! Let's do it! For 100 hours!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Over the total year. :roll:

You ever wonder why it's called March Madness? Hint: it only lasts a month. Over the course of the year, the NBA gets 1.7 billion views. As far as soccer is concerned, international matches are quite profitable, and we are talking about billions of dollars when it comes to the World Cup.

Hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup™ could generate more than $5 billion in short-term economic activity, including supporting approximately 40,000 jobs and more than $1 billion in incremental worker earnings across North America, according to a study done by The Boston Consulting Group (BCG), a leading global management consulting firm. Canada, Mexico and the United States are bidding to host the 48-team tournament in 2026, which will be the largest in FIFA World Cup™ history. The overall net benefit to the region would be $3 – $4 billion.

I didn't say it doesn't matter. I'm just say it pales in comparison to other sports here.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Over the total year. :roll:

I really really want the US to host it. It’s a major economic benefit plus there’s the National pride that goes along with it.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Snazzy Blaat
Spokesperson

Postby Snazzy Blaat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

I didn't say it doesn't matter. I'm just say it pales in comparison to other sports here.

That's nice. Other sports are not the topic of this thread.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

So when you said,

Kramanica wrote:Literally no one in the US cares about soccer

you really meant: "it matters!" Gotcha.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

I really really want the US to host it. It’s a major economic benefit plus there’s the National pride that goes along with it.

A lot of people want the US to host it. The OP's question was "should the US use a technicality to win hosting rights and risk a potential boycott?"

If the question was just "do you want to host it?" I think it'd just be the entire thread vs Kramanica :P

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Again it depends on your region. American Football is popular all over the US while hockey is only popular in the northern half of the US, NASCAR is only popular in the south, baseball is popular on the coasts, basketball is very popular in the southern half of the US and in the northeast, and soccer is very popular in the sun belt states.

To say it doesn’t matter because it’s not American football is downright silly
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:59 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I really really want the US to host it. It’s a major economic benefit plus there’s the National pride that goes along with it.

A lot of people want the US to host it. The OP's question was "should the US use a technicality to win hosting rights and risk a potential boycott?"

If the question was just "do you want to host it?" I think it'd just be the entire thread vs Kramanica :P

Yes, but then again I’m the type of person who doesn’t care how we do it just that we win.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General