NATION

PASSWORD

"Child Porn"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Phenia
Senator
 
Posts: 3809
Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Phenia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 am

The_pantless_hero wrote:
Phenia wrote:
The Schro wrote:I'm going to just ignore you now.


Right, so you can't explain why my shit isn't art either.

No, because you are being an idiot.


Well, since you're clearly light years ahead of me in intelligence, maybe you can explain why my shit isn't art.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 58336
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:43 am

Khadgar wrote:
The Schro wrote:
Phenia wrote:
I took a shit this morning. Explain how that is not art?


I'm sorry, but what?
You are aware that porn requires you to draw, write, film...all of these things?

There's no secret ingredient that makes Saving Private Ryan more of a piece of art than Big Hookers Get Gangebanged II. One is certainly, by most peoples' definitions, a better piece of art, a more influential one, a more creative one, etc; but both are still works of art.


Saving Private Ryan is borderline snuff film.


Saving Ryan's Privates was better.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
The Schro
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 147
Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby The Schro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:44 am

Phenia wrote:Well, since you're clearly light years ahead of me in intelligence, maybe you can explain why my shit isn't art.


Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music and literature. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics.


Porn fits that definition.

User avatar
Ranzar
Secretary
 
Posts: 30
Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Ranzar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:44 am

New Khadgar wrote:Artists? You consider those people artists? Where are you from, that you would consider such trash as 'art'?


You don't seem to grasp the central point of Gaiman's blog writing linked here more than once. I don't think anyone here is arguing for the massive artistic value of Me Luv U Long Time 2, but if you have a law that bans it as obscene, what's to stop that same law from being used to ban, say, Michaelangelo's David?

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 182490
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:45 am

The Schro wrote:
Phenia wrote:Well, since you're clearly light years ahead of me in intelligence, maybe you can explain why my shit isn't art.


Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music and literature. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics.


Porn fits that definition.


Only because the definition of what is art is very varied.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
UNIverseVERSE
Minister
 
Posts: 3394
Founded: Jan 04, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby UNIverseVERSE » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:45 am

Exilia and Colonies wrote:Define Art already before you waste 2 pages not going anywhere. :palm:


I shall nick a page out of Ian Stewart's book, but edit it to be appropriate for the current topic:

"What is art?"
"Art is what artists do."
"And what are artists? Are they people who do art?"
"No, that's far too circular. They are people who see opportunities for doing art which others do not."


(Paraphrased from Letters To A Young Mathematician)

It's actually a surprisingly good way to look at it. I got an object lesson in this just earlier -- I was sitting outside with some friends, and one of them suddenly dived into her bag for her camera. Why? Because she'd spotted a cool effect of light through the trees, and wanted to record it to draw later. All of us could see it, but she, the artist, was the one who saw the opportunity to turn it into art.

[/hijack]
Fnord.

User avatar
The Schro
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 147
Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby The Schro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:46 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Schro wrote:
Phenia wrote:Well, since you're clearly light years ahead of me in intelligence, maybe you can explain why my shit isn't art.


Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music and literature. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics.


Porn fits that definition.


Only because the definition of what is art is very varied.


It is very varied, that's the point :meh:

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 182490
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:47 am

The Schro wrote:It is very varied, that's the point :meh:


Porn is for entertainment value, IMO.

A 'desnudo', like The Dying Gaul, for me, is art.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
The_pantless_hero
Senator
 
Posts: 4302
Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby The_pantless_hero » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:48 am

Phenia wrote:Well, since you're clearly light years ahead of me in intelligence, maybe you can explain why my shit isn't art.

The fact you are asking such an obtuse question means you are either incapable of understanding or don't care enough to acknowledge a valid argument.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

User avatar
The Schro
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 147
Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby The Schro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:48 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Schro wrote:It is very varied, that's the point :meh:


Porn is for entertainment value, IMO.

A 'desnudo', like The Dying Gaul, for me, is art.


...So?
Does making something entertaining lower its artistic value?

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 182490
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:49 am

The Schro wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Schro wrote:It is very varied, that's the point :meh:


Porn is for entertainment value, IMO.

A 'desnudo', like The Dying Gaul, for me, is art.


...So?
Does making something entertaining lower its artistic value?


It accounts for taste. A desnudo is tasteful. Porn is base... but if it entertains you...
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
The Schro
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 147
Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby The Schro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:51 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
It accounts for taste. A desnudo is tasteful. Porn is base... but if it entertains you...


...What?
Pretty much all I'm getting from this is a verification that porn is indeed art and that you don't like it.

User avatar
The_pantless_hero
Senator
 
Posts: 4302
Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby The_pantless_hero » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:51 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It accounts for taste. A desnudo is tasteful. Porn is base... but if it entertains you...

Most porn is base. It isn't required to be.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 182490
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:51 am

The Schro wrote:...What?
Pretty much all I'm getting from this is a verification that porn is indeed art and that you don't like it.


That's what I am saying. ;)
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Dyakovo
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 83162
Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:52 am

Kormanthor wrote:
The Schro wrote:I noticed this being brought up in another thread and wanted to start an actual discussion about it.

Not real child porn, where children are forced to do degrading things; but things made through CGI, drawing, or even literature. In America at the moment, it's kind of a hot issue. Kind of. Do you think it should be illegal for some reason? Or are you not interested in stifling the creative interests of artists?

I think you can tell my stance well enough. /discuss!




Porn is not ART! Porn of any type is WRONG ....Period

lol
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

User avatar
Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 23565
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:52 am

Kormanthor wrote:You all need to wake up and smell the coffee. Porn of any kind is wrong. All of your excuses won't change that.


But the Internet is for Porn. So why are you using it? You are supporting porn!
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

User avatar
Phenia
Senator
 
Posts: 3809
Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Phenia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:53 am

The_pantless_hero wrote:
Phenia wrote:Well, since you're clearly light years ahead of me in intelligence, maybe you can explain why my shit isn't art.

The fact you are asking such an obtuse question means you are either incapable of understanding or don't care enough to acknowledge a valid argument.


The fact that nobody can answer this question is answer enough.

Your definition of art is shit.

User avatar
The Schro
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 147
Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby The Schro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 am

Phenia wrote:
The_pantless_hero wrote:
Phenia wrote:Well, since you're clearly light years ahead of me in intelligence, maybe you can explain why my shit isn't art.

The fact you are asking such an obtuse question means you are either incapable of understanding or don't care enough to acknowledge a valid argument.


The fact that nobody can answer this question is answer enough.

Your definition of art is shit.


I already did answer it.

User avatar
The_pantless_hero
Senator
 
Posts: 4302
Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby The_pantless_hero » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 am

Phenia wrote:The fact that nobody can answer this question is answer enough.

I assume the question was "Am I being purposefully obtuse."
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

User avatar
Dyakovo
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 83162
Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:55 am

Kormanthor wrote:You all need to wake up and smell the coffee. Porn of any kind is wrong. All of your excuses won't change that.

Kormanthor wrote:The evidence should be obvious if you have any sense at all. :roll:

How about providing us with some of this evidence?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

User avatar
Phenia
Senator
 
Posts: 3809
Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Phenia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:57 am

The Schro wrote:
Phenia wrote:Well, since you're clearly light years ahead of me in intelligence, maybe you can explain why my shit isn't art.


Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music and literature. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics.


Porn fits that definition.


So does my shit. As long as you're ready to acknowledge that then my job is done here.

User avatar
UNIverseVERSE
Minister
 
Posts: 3394
Founded: Jan 04, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby UNIverseVERSE » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:58 am

Phenia wrote:The fact that nobody can answer this question is answer enough.

Your definition of art is shit.


I answered it. And defined art. Please read the quoted posts, then explain your problems with them:

UNIverseVERSE wrote:Actually, some people would argue that it can be.


UNIverseVERSE wrote:I shall nick a page out of Ian Stewart's book, but edit it to be appropriate for the current topic:

"What is art?"
"Art is what artists do."
"And what are artists? Are they people who do art?"
"No, that's far too circular. They are people who see opportunities for doing art which others do not."


(Paraphrased from Letters To A Young Mathematician)

It's actually a surprisingly good way to look at it. I got an object lesson in this just earlier -- I was sitting outside with some friends, and one of them suddenly dived into her bag for her camera. Why? Because she'd spotted a cool effect of light through the trees, and wanted to record it to draw later. All of us could see it, but she, the artist, was the one who saw the opportunity to turn it into art.

[/hijack]
Fnord.

User avatar
The Schro
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 147
Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby The Schro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Phenia wrote:
The Schro wrote:
Phenia wrote:Well, since you're clearly light years ahead of me in intelligence, maybe you can explain why my shit isn't art.


Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music and literature. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics.


Porn fits that definition.


So does my shit. As long as you're ready to acknowledge that then my job is done here.


Not just any shit that you take. You'd have to do a little something extra, or take it in a special way so that it can fit that definition.

I don't really understand what your point is.

User avatar
UNIverseVERSE
Minister
 
Posts: 3394
Founded: Jan 04, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby UNIverseVERSE » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Phenia wrote:So does my shit. As long as you're ready to acknowledge that then my job is done here.


Presumably you are attempting a reductio ad absurdum -- you wish to show that, by the standards we use to claim pornography is art, something you consider clearly not art is also art. Thus it would follow that our standards are laughable, and that pornography is not art.

Well guess what, I'm not falling for it. Because I've already provided at least two excellent examples which are unaffected by the aesthetic value of the byproducts of your bowels. The first is Lost Girls, and the second is Ulysses by James Joyce, which was banned as pornographic for quite some time. Both are also evidently, clearly, inevitably art, even by a standard which would reject fecal matter.
Fnord.

User avatar
Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 26053
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: "Child Porn"

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Phenia wrote:
So does my shit. As long as you're ready to acknowledge that then my job is done here.

Only if you remember to wipe and wash first.

Seriously. Your scat fetish isn't what ought to be getting discussed here. Put up your own topic if you think you can, and feel it deserves this much attention.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aeritai, Angleter, Aunsend, Aureumterra, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, Big Jim P, Cumberlanda, Dresderstan, Fartsniffage, Great Algerstonia, Hakons, Heloin, Ifreann, Kernen, Newland City, North German Realm, Ourisio, Spirit of Hope, The Quebec Monarchy, Thermodolia, Tholasyne, Zurkerx

Advertisement

Remove ads