NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control III - the Gunnening

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gun Control n Stuff - Only 2 Options Pick Carefully

If my neighbors dog craps on my lawn I have a god-given right to respond with the use of force up to and including recreational nuclear warheads
50%
Guns are literally the embodiment of all evil ever created by mankind, and when the last gun is finally destroyed the entire world will be at peace
16%
I'm lame and choose not to use a poll with wild stereotypes about both sides because I'm lame
33%

Total votes : 1277

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Telconi wrote:
Diopolis wrote:So, over the weekend gov. Abbott signed a bunch of executive orders on law enforcement that will supposedly help prevent mass shootings.
Predictably, the left is butthurt he didn’t ban assault weapons(whatever that term actually means), which begs the question- we know they don’t know how guns work. Do they also not know how executive orders work?

They don't care. People still have liberty and that angers them.

Remember, executive orders are tyrannical and override congress when Trump does it, but are fine when it's anti-liberty.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Remember, executive orders are tyrannical and override congress when Trump does it, but are fine when it's anti-liberty.

It's all about how important it is to oppress the people.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Gun control is about taking away liberty and the power of the people. It's not about safety.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Remember, executive orders are tyrannical and override congress when Trump does it, but are fine when it's anti-liberty.

Gun control is about taking away liberty and the power of the people. It's not about safety.

I feel like all this anti-2nd amendment bills from California and the Democrats, I feel like I'm in a thread on a particular website that's tells accounts about choosing beggars and entitled people
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Pretty much the only guarantee that legislative gun control has produced at the local/state/federal level is; death and misery. Beyond that, gun control isn't worth the paper its written on.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:48 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:Pretty much the only guarantee that legislative gun control has produced at the local/state/federal level is; death and misery. Beyond that, gun control isn't worth the paper its written on.

you know what's funny think about all the trees they massacred with high capacity murder chainsaws to end up wasting it on useless bills talk about "environmentally friendly"
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:59 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Pretty much the only guarantee that legislative gun control has produced at the local/state/federal level is; death and misery. Beyond that, gun control isn't worth the paper its written on.

you know what's funny think about all the trees they massacred with high capacity murder chainsaws to end up wasting it on useless bills talk about "environmentally friendly"

Welp who knew gun control wrecks the environment, see folks gun control not only gets people killed, it is also responsible for deforestation, them bastards!

In other news, low IQ parasite cory booker has a new unconstitutional bill/idea.
New Bill Would Require Gun Owners to get 5 year Federal License
The measure, dubbed the Federal Firearm Licensing Act, would require individuals who want to buy or receive a firearm to first get vetted by and be issued a license from the U.S. Department of Justice. In addition to an extensive background check, applicants would have to complete firearms training “which must include a written test and hands-on training to ensure safe use and accuracy,” and submit fingerprints. Further, the licensee would have to report to DOJ the make, model, and the serial number of the gun being transferred.

The license would have to be renewed every five years, to include refresher training and a subsequent background check. No license, no guns.

I don't see this one getting out of committee, but goes to show you the lengths of how much those hate individual rights/freedoms and want to turn them into privileges
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:18 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:you know what's funny think about all the trees they massacred with high capacity murder chainsaws to end up wasting it on useless bills talk about "environmentally friendly"

Welp who knew gun control wrecks the environment, see folks gun control not only gets people killed, it is also responsible for deforestation, them bastards!

In other news, low IQ parasite cory booker has a new unconstitutional bill/idea.
The measure, dubbed the Federal Firearm Licensing Act, would require individuals who want to buy or receive a firearm to first get vetted by and be issued a license from the U.S. Department of Justice. In addition to an extensive background check, applicants would have to complete firearms training “which must include a written test and hands-on training to ensure safe use and accuracy,” and submit fingerprints. Further, the licensee would have to report to DOJ the make, model, and the serial number of the gun being transferred.

The license would have to be renewed every five years, to include refresher training and a subsequent background check. No license, no guns.

I don't see this one getting out of committee, but goes to show you the lengths of how much those hate individual rights/freedoms and want to turn them into privileges

I hope it dies in committee. We need to find a way to make a stand for freedom.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:you know what's funny think about all the trees they massacred with high capacity murder chainsaws to end up wasting it on useless bills talk about "environmentally friendly"

And this is somehow ok, yet providing ANY form of government issued ID before being able to register to vote is absolutely unthinkable and clearly a sign that the right is literally Hitler.

Have we reached the point yet where we have earned to right to tell them openly and to their smug faces to shut the fuck up yet?
Last edited by Paddy O Fernature on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:26 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:

He has to realize what sort of precedent that would set, right? He has to know the sort of consequences that giving the state the precedent to license away tour enumerated rights would have. Booker can’t be this dense.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:28 am

Ors Might wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Welp who knew gun control wrecks the environment, see folks gun control not only gets people killed, it is also responsible for deforestation, them bastards!

He has to realize what sort of precedent that would set, right? He has to know the sort of consequences that giving the state the precedent to license away tour enumerated rights would have. Booker can’t be this dense.

These days, I'm pretty sure that the "D" in front of his name and those like him stands exactly for just that.

SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:29 am

Ors Might wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Welp who knew gun control wrecks the environment, see folks gun control not only gets people killed, it is also responsible for deforestation, them bastards!

I think he may be. People don't understand the importance of freedom.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:30 am

Paddy O Fernature wrote:

And this is somehow ok, yet providing ANY form of government issued ID before being able to register to vote is absolutely unthinkable and clearly a sign that the right is literally Hitler.

Have we reached the point yet where we have earned to right to tell them openly and to their smug faces to shut the fuck up yet?

Also to note, his idea would also disproportionately affect the poor and minorities, a group of people booker so roundly says he wants to lift up. The guy is a fucking hypocrite and proves he doesn't give a shit about the lil guy.

Also to note, the house passed a bunch of anti gun bullshit, that won't do a damn thing other than fuck over the citizens.
Dem-Controlled House Passes Magazine Ban And More
The U.S. House of Representatives passed three gun control bills on Tuesday, ramping up the pressure on the U.S. Senate to “do something” now that Congress has returned from its legislative session. The three bills include a measure offering grants to states to set up “red flag” laws, a prohibition on gun ownership for those convicted of misdemeanor hate crimes, and a ban on magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Later this month the House Judiciary Committee is also expected to pass a sweeping ban on semi-automatic firearms and magazines over 10 rounds.

What I want to know, where did this arbitrary number of 10 come from? 10 is ok, 11 is mass death and destruction? fucking anti gunners, their logic is legendary.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Paddy O Fernature wrote:

Also to note, his idea would also disproportionately affect the poor and minorities, a group of people booker so roundly says he wants to lift up. The guy is a fucking hypocrite and proves he doesn't give a shit about the lil guy.

Also to note, the house passed a bunch of anti gun bullshit, that won't do a damn thing other than fuck over the citizens.
The U.S. House of Representatives passed three gun control bills on Tuesday, ramping up the pressure on the U.S. Senate to “do something” now that Congress has returned from its legislative session. The three bills include a measure offering grants to states to set up “red flag” laws, a prohibition on gun ownership for those convicted of misdemeanor hate crimes, and a ban on magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Later this month the House Judiciary Committee is also expected to pass a sweeping ban on semi-automatic firearms and magazines over 10 rounds.

What I want to know, where did this arbitrary number of 10 come from? 10 is ok, 11 is mass death and destruction? fucking anti gunners, their logic is legendary.

What's cute is that they actually think that not only will these laughable laws actually do anything to curb mass shootings, but that people will follow them.

As for the number 10, I most often hear uneducated/ignorant anti gunners spouting off the phrase "Well you don't need more then ten rounds to hunt with. What you gonna do, shred the deer you baby killing terrorist murderer!" or some other form of that bullshit claim. So my guess based upon their lack of logic is that it stems from there somewhere. However, that simply isn't the case and we all know it, not that they will give two shits as they all are apparently allergic to actual facts.
Last edited by Paddy O Fernature on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Paddy O Fernature wrote:

I think it stems from their complete lack of knowledge on guns. I mean, do these people know how easy it is to change a magazine(hint- it takes less than a second).
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:58 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:

I’m not opposed to gun licenses, but this is pretty stupid.
It’s also obviously booker just trying to prove his leftist street cred to boost his poll numbers in the presidential election.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:40 am

Diopolis wrote:

It’s also obviously booker just trying to prove his leftist street cred to boost his poll numbers in the presidential election.

I'm not a big fan of licensing enumerated negative rights, never have been, never will be. Licensing is still treating a right as a privilege and such a scheme still doesn't promise safety, look at licensed drivers. Such schemes only serve to give govt more authority, an authority the beast does not deserve nor is entitled too.
I do agree with your last part of your post.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:51 am

Diopolis wrote:

I honestly don't see a point in licensing. To expand on what GD said... Look at Drivers. You get your driver's license by driving very carefully...

Once.

This does not guarantee you will remain a perfect driver forever.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:06 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I’m not opposed to gun licenses, but this is pretty stupid.

I honestly don't see a point in licensing. To expand on what GD said... Look at Drivers. You get your driver's license by driving very carefully...

Once.

Gun licenses in different countries have different requirements, but they’re all basically a means of enforcing a universal background check requirement. Now guns are a little bit different from cars because they’re much safer- the average driver will get in multiple accidents over the course of his driving career- so keeping guns out of the hands of people who intend to misuse them- the Johnny the cop stabbers of this world- is and should be the main goal of any gun regulations. Empirically shall issue licenses are the best way of doing that in otherwise law abiding countries.
To be clear, I’m not a fan of Australia style ‘fuck you, I don’t like guns’. And in all honesty I think a system a bit like Switzerland but looser(keep the licenses, lose the registration/arbitrary restrictions on what a civilian can own, add LTC) is probably my ideal. And it does, in Switzerland, provide a pretty good balance between gun rights and public safety.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:27 am

Diopolis wrote:

Once.

Gun licenses in different countries have different requirements, but they’re all basically a means of enforcing a universal background check requirement. Now guns are a little bit different from cars because they’re much safer- the average driver will get in multiple accidents over the course of his driving career- so keeping guns out of the hands of people who intend to misuse them- the Johnny the cop stabbers of this world- is and should be the main goal of any gun regulations. Empirically shall issue licenses are the best way of doing that in otherwise law abiding countries.
To be clear, I’m not a fan of Australia style ‘fuck you, I don’t like guns’. And in all honesty I think a system a bit like Switzerland but looser(keep the licenses, lose the registration/arbitrary restrictions on what a civilian can own, add LTC) is probably my ideal. And it does, in Switzerland, provide a pretty good balance between gun rights and public safety.

I mean. Personally I'm of the camp that we shouldn't have any regulations whatsoever on weapons.

The whole point of the second amendment is that the people have the right to privately owned military force. For that military force to be relevant it must necessarily have the same tools at it's disposal.

So in essence, if the Military can have it, the private citizen can have it. No questions asked. No licensing needed. No 'taxes' necessary.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:31 am

Telconi wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:What in the ass fuck?
Trump Admin Is Considering Using Amazon Echo And Apple Watch To Determine If Citizens Should Own A Gun
So basically a social credit score? Dangerous, very dangerous path here.

Daily reminder, the Republicans are not your friends, they're just less determined enemies.

Unfortunately, that is true. We need a third party.

Great Mojave
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Mojave » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Daily reminder, the Republicans are not your friends, they're just less determined enemies.

We do. It's just that no one wants to vote for them because of their almost religious devotion to the two-party system.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Pro: 1st and 2nd wave feminism, Libertarian Party, Cryptocurrency, Capitalism, USA, Christianity, Space Travel, Civic Nationalism, 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment

NEIN: Monarchy, Socialism, Mutualism, Communism, Syndicalism, Fascism, Wahabism, Islam (the idea, not its supporters.), Islamism, Theocracy, Authoritarianism, Corporatism
(Almost) not based on fallout! Also, we don't use NS stats.
Libertarian Republic of
Great Mojave
Now with 50% more sapient deathclaws!

The Year is 2050. The cities are big, the streets are bathed in neon, the desert is hot, and the wave is synth.

Tarsonis
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 am

Great Mojave wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Unfortunately, that is true. We need a third party.

We do. It's just that no one wants to vote for them because of their almost religious devotion to the two-party system.

Ross Perot got the closest anyone’s ever been
NS Keyboard Warrior since 2005
Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Thucydides: “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
1 Corinthians 5:12 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow."
T. Stevens: "I don't hold with equality in all things, but I believe in equality under the Law."
James I of Aragon "Have you ever considered that our position is Idolatry to the Rabbi?"
Debating Christian Theology with Non-Christians pretty much anybody be like

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:59 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Quite the coincidence this popped up after I was reading about H.R. 838 Threat Assessment, Prevention, and Safety Act of 2019 (“TAPS Act”)
The Firearms Policy Coalition has written up a useful summary of the bill’s provisions that everyone should read.
The Threat Assessment, Prevention, and Safety Act of 2019 (“TAPS Act”) is a legislative proposal introduced as H.R. 838 in the wake of, and in response to, highly televised mass murders. The Act’s purported purpose is “[t]o develop a national strategy to prevent targeted violence through behavioral threat assessment and management, and for other purposes.”

To develop a “national strategy,” the bill would establish a task force consisting of 24 unelected, generally unsupervised individuals who are free to change their own operating rules and procedures at a moment’s notice. The Task Force would provide training and recommendations on how to use state and local assets to build databases of information on private people, to collaborate with private entities (including social media companies) and schools to do the same, and on using mental health professionals to “assist” in assessing threats.”

The terms defined in the TAPS Act are murky not because of poor drafting, but because this bill is an attempt to establish a domestic surveillance program to monitor private people. When the goal is to collect information for the purpose of building massive databases, vague terms are government’s best friend. Especially when the officials implementing the scheme would largely be the same ones interpreting it.

The Act would give the Department of Homeland Security the authority to issue grants to “eligible entities” in order to encourage those entities to hand information to “fusion centers,” which are defined as collaborative efforts of state, federal, and local governments “with the goal of maximizing the ability of such agencies to detect, prevent, investigate, apprehend, and respond to criminal or terrorist activity.” The government could then use the data it collected to build behavioral models based on otherwise harmless behavior such as purchasing two handguns in one month. That model could then be used to target unwitting, innocent gun owners as potential “threats.”

The TAPS Act is potentially disastrous for those intent on exercising their right to keep and bear arms, and assuredly catastrophic for the privacy rights reserved to the People under the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments.

I'm against this as well. No, just NO!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:35 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Unfortunately, that is true. We need a third party.

Quite the coincidence this popped up after I was reading about H.R. 838 Threat Assessment, Prevention, and Safety Act of 2019 (“TAPS Act”)
The Firearms Policy Coalition has written up a useful summary of the bill’s provisions that everyone should read.
The Threat Assessment, Prevention, and Safety Act of 2019 (“TAPS Act”) is a legislative proposal introduced as H.R. 838 in the wake of, and in response to, highly televised mass murders. The Act’s purported purpose is “[t]o develop a national strategy to prevent targeted violence through behavioral threat assessment and management, and for other purposes.”

To develop a “national strategy,” the bill would establish a task force consisting of 24 unelected, generally unsupervised individuals who are free to change their own operating rules and procedures at a moment’s notice. The Task Force would provide training and recommendations on how to use state and local assets to build databases of information on private people, to collaborate with private entities (including social media companies) and schools to do the same, and on using mental health professionals to “assist” in assessing threats.”

The terms defined in the TAPS Act are murky not because of poor drafting, but because this bill is an attempt to establish a domestic surveillance program to monitor private people. When the goal is to collect information for the purpose of building massive databases, vague terms are government’s best friend. Especially when the officials implementing the scheme would largely be the same ones interpreting it.

The Act would give the Department of Homeland Security the authority to issue grants to “eligible entities” in order to encourage those entities to hand information to “fusion centers,” which are defined as collaborative efforts of state, federal, and local governments “with the goal of maximizing the ability of such agencies to detect, prevent, investigate, apprehend, and respond to criminal or terrorist activity.” The government could then use the data it collected to build behavioral models based on otherwise harmless behavior such as purchasing two handguns in one month. That model could then be used to target unwitting, innocent gun owners as potential “threats.”

The TAPS Act is potentially disastrous for those intent on exercising their right to keep and bear arms, and assuredly catastrophic for the privacy rights reserved to the People under the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments.

I'm against this as well. No, just NO!

George Orwell is spinning in his grave. Privacy and freedom should be held sacred, not trampled upon.
Diopolis wrote:Gun licenses in different countries have different requirements, but they’re all basically a means of enforcing a universal background check requirement. Now guns are a little bit different from cars because they’re much safer- the average driver will get in multiple accidents over the course of his driving career- so keeping guns out of the hands of people who intend to misuse them- the Johnny the cop stabbers of this world- is and should be the main goal of any gun regulations. Empirically shall issue licenses are the best way of doing that in otherwise law abiding countries.

I mean. Personally I'm of the camp that we shouldn't have any regulations whatsoever on weapons.

The whole point of the second amendment is that the people have the right to privately owned military force. For that military force to be relevant it must necessarily have the same tools at it's disposal.

So in essence, if the Military can have it, the private citizen can have it. No questions asked. No licensing needed. No 'taxes' necessary.

^this.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General