NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control III - the Gunnening

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gun Control n Stuff - Only 2 Options Pick Carefully

If my neighbors dog craps on my lawn I have a god-given right to respond with the use of force up to and including recreational nuclear warheads
50%
Guns are literally the embodiment of all evil ever created by mankind, and when the last gun is finally destroyed the entire world will be at peace
16%
I'm lame and choose not to use a poll with wild stereotypes about both sides because I'm lame
33%

Total votes : 1277

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:41 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Chan Island wrote:
And since driving on public roads is the vast, vast majority of car usage in the US, I think we can safely say it's near enough to synonymous to proceed with semantic word games. :)

The vast majority of public firearms use in the United States is licensed carry or hunting(which also requires a license including education requirements).

True. Still lends itself to the question of usefulness.

Telconi wrote:
Chan Island wrote:
And since driving on public roads is the vast, vast majority of car usage in the US, I think we can safely say it's near enough to synonymous to proceed without critiquing semantics. :)

It's not even remotely similar.

Is it though?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Telconi wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:
...Not really? I mean - take the gun buyback concept, that's ludicrous and will spell doom for my party if they ever adopt that into their platform. But to have sensible gun control with more adequate background checks, elimination of the gun-show loophole, etc etc, that doesn't punish anybody with the exception of would be criminals. Law-abiding citizens from all parties and walks of life would still be able to buy plenty of guns and ammunition.

Fines aren't punishment?

I did not mention fines.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Diopolis wrote:The vast majority of public firearms use in the United States is licensed carry or hunting(which also requires a license including education requirements).

Telconi wrote:
It's not even remotely similar.

Is it though?

No, it's not, and asserting it is indicates ignorance or dishonesty.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Fines aren't punishment?

I did not mention fines.

Making people pay a penalty to the government for selling their gun is a fine in all but name.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Telconi wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

Is it though?

For the vast majority of people getting a car, it means acquire a vehicle to drive along public roads. There are very few people who get them to do anything else, and much fewer still who never use their cars to drive along them. Therefore, for all intents and purposes, in the real world, it is very similar.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I’ve always said, the whole gun control issue in the US is more about punishing rural people for voting GOP than anything else.

...Not really? I mean - take the gun buyback concept, that's ludicrous and will spell doom for my party if they ever adopt that into their platform. But to have sensible gun control with more adequate background checks, elimination of the gun-show loophole, etc etc, that doesn't punish anybody with the exception of would be criminals. Law-abiding citizens from all parties and walks of life would still be able to buy plenty of guns and ammunition.

You don't know what your talking about and it shows. Those are the same thing.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Telconi wrote:

For the vast majority of people getting a car, it means acquire a vehicle to drive along public roads. There are very few people who get them to do anything else, and much fewer still who never use their cars to drive along them. Therefore, for all intents and purposes, in the real world, it is very similar.

What people buy the car for is irrelevant to their legal capacity to buy the car.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

What gun show loophole?
Any and all FFL dealers that attended gun shows and sell firearms at said show, have to conduct a bgc.

The loophole in many states wherein regulations are loose and limited if someone buys a gun from either;

(A. A private dealer.
(B. A gun show run by an assortment of private dealers.

It's pretty straightforward. The argument that we can't budge even a little bit on expanding background checks and the like is bizarre to me. People will be able to keep their guns, people with a relatively clean record will be able to purchase guns, the only losers will be those with malicious intentions.

If that's the sound of "government overreach," then I'd have to wonder what your ideal system of gun control is, or if you'd rather scrap background checks and the like altogether for some bizarre reason.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Aclion wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

You don't know what your talking about and it shows. Those are the same thing.

And why is that? There are instances in which gun shows have background checks, but that do not meet the full extent of federal requirements.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:What gun show loophole?
Any and all FFL dealers that attended gun shows and sell firearms at said show, have to conduct a bgc.

The loophole in many states wherein regulations are loose and limited if someone buys a gun from either;

(A. A private dealer.

It's pretty straightforward. The argument that we can't budge even a little bit on expanding background checks and the like is bizarre to me. People will be able to keep their guns, people with a relatively clean record will be able to purchase guns, the only losers will be those with malicious intentions.

If that's the sound of "government overreach," then I'd have to wonder what your ideal system of gun control is, or if you'd rather scrap background checks and the like altogether for some bizarre reason.

Do you think it's okay that somebody considered safe enough to walk the streets loses a constitutional right because of a crime many many years ago?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

(A. A private dealer.

Do you think it's okay that somebody considered safe enough to walk the streets loses a constitutional right because of a crime many many years ago?

I suppose it would depend on the crime they committed in the past, there's a substantial difference between a non-violent drug arrest and something such as, say, domestic abuse.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Aclion wrote:You don't know what your talking about and it shows. Those are the same thing.

And why is that? There are instances in which gun shows have background checks, but that do not meet the full extent of federal requirements.

Well if they don't meet federal requirements that's already a crime isn't it?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Do you think it's okay that somebody considered safe enough to walk the streets loses a constitutional right because of a crime many many years ago?

I suppose it would depend on the crime they committed in the past, there's a substantial difference between a non-violent drug arrest and something such as, say, domestic abuse.

Did they serve their sentence for the latter?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:01 pm

Telconi wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

What people buy the car for is irrelevant to their legal capacity to buy the car.

What? Yes it is relevant. That's why we disallow cars with heavy weapons attached to them. It's why nobody gets a car until after they get a license.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Telconi wrote:

What? Yes it is relevant. That's why we disallow cars with heavy weapons attached to them. It's why nobody gets a car until after they get a license.

They do though...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:08 pm

Telconi wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

If unlicensed vendors are allowed at gun shows, which is a thing (hence the aforementioned term loophole I got attacked for), then perhaps the government can intervene there.

Also as per your previous post, gun-grabber? Really? I live in a place where most people own guns, hell I used to have one myself. What is this caricature of people with a hard on for stealing guns? It’s the most nonsense thing on this thread.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Telconi wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

They do though...

Do they? Not anybody I know or heard of.

Meh, fair cop then.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Telconi wrote:

If unlicensed vendors are allowed at gun shows, which is a thing (hence the aforementioned term loophole I got attacked for), then perhaps the government can intervene there.

Also as per your previous post, gun-grabber? Really? I live in a place where most people own guns, hell I used to have one myself. What is this caricature of people with a hard on for stealing guns? It’s the most nonsense thing on this thread.

Desire to see a stricter law in place does not make presently legal activity a "loophole".

I think the government ought to lower the speed limit for the road I live on. But if I asked the city council to close the "loophole" that allows people to drive 45 mph on my street it'd be pretty disengenuous.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Telconi wrote:
They do though...

Meh, fair cop then.

I owned and drove my first car at the age of twelve.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:16 pm

Telconi wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

Meh, fair cop then.

... how? :blink:

The Chuck
Minister

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Chuck » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:16 pm

Since we're almost at 500, I went and made the 4th incarnation of the Gun Control Megathread.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=472220
I advocate for violence every single day. I work in the arms industry.
In-Character Advertisement Space:
The Chuck wholly endorses Wolf Armaments, Lauzanexport CDT, and
Silverport Dockyards Ltd.

"Keep your guns... and buy more guns!" - Kitty Werthmann, Austrian Nazi Regime Survivor
Roof Korea, Best Korea. Hippity Hoppity, 내 재산에서 꺼져.
Pro: Liberty/Freedoms of the Individual, Unrestricted firearms ownership
-Slava-
Ukraini

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Uh, I bought it, and then I started it, and put it in gear, and pushed the accelerator, and turned the steering wheel when I wanted it to turn...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Telconi wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

Uh, I bought it, and then I started it, and put it in gear, and pushed the accelerator, and turned the steering wheel when I wanted it to turn...

Must have been a cheap car. And were you driving on the roads?

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Must have been a cheap car. And were you driving on the roads?

It was, and no.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Aclion wrote:You don't know what your talking about and it shows. Those are the same thing.

Gun show are subject to the same rules as any other sale. If you buy from a dealer they must verify through NICS that you are not a prohibited person, while for a private sale there is no such requirement(though private sellers still cannot sell to prohibited persons). Both "comprehensive background checks" and "closing the gun show loophole" are just branding for proposals to require private sales to use NICS.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General