NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control III - the Gunnening

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gun Control n Stuff - Only 2 Options Pick Carefully

If my neighbors dog craps on my lawn I have a god-given right to respond with the use of force up to and including recreational nuclear warheads
50%
Guns are literally the embodiment of all evil ever created by mankind, and when the last gun is finally destroyed the entire world will be at peace
16%
I'm lame and choose not to use a poll with wild stereotypes about both sides because I'm lame
33%

Total votes : 1277

Marjory Stoneman Douglas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marjory Stoneman Douglas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:Ok. The whole NICS/background check system needs a complete overhaul! When someone attempts to purchase a firearm, there should be ample time for the seller(s) to run a thorough and complete background check. And, when the background comes up showing the purchaser has a history of domestic violence, robbery, etc., DON'T SELL THEM A GUN!

That is already a part of NCIS, the issue is that if the information was never relayed to NCIS, it won't flag the sale.

That's why it needs a massive overhaul. There needs to be legislation passed and support from officials on both sides of the aisle fixing the system!

Marjory Stoneman Douglas
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marjory Stoneman Douglas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:Ok. The whole NICS/background check system needs a complete overhaul! When someone attempts to purchase a firearm, there should be ample time for the seller(s) to run a thorough and complete background check. And, when the background comes up showing the purchaser has a history of domestic violence, robbery, etc., DON'T SELL THEM A GUN!

That is already a part of NCIS, the issue is that if the information was never relayed to NCIS, it won't flag the sale.

Also, it's "NICS". Not "NCIS"

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:That is already a part of NCIS, the issue is that if the information was never relayed to NCIS, it won't flag the sale.

That's why it needs a massive overhaul. There needs to be legislation passed and support from officials on both sides of the aisle fixing the system!

Well the fixnics was passed and signed into law, the fbi is kicking around adding an additional database to the nics, the n-dex.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:That is already a part of NCIS, the issue is that if the information was never relayed to NCIS, it won't flag the sale.

By doing what differently exactly?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:10 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Well, just the usual, such as your opinion on waiting periods, background checks, etc etc...

Ok. The whole NICS/background check system needs a complete overhaul! When someone attempts to purchase a firearm, there should be ample time for the seller(s) to run a thorough and complete background check. And, when the background comes up showing the purchaser has a history of domestic violence, robbery, etc., DON'T SELL THEM A GUN!

Don't you think that intense background checks may give leeway for an authoritarian State to develop and gradually disarm the population? I mean, given the large scope that the U.S. government has nowadays over the country (and given the historical lack of any American dictatorship), extensive gun rights and extensive gun ownership is likely what's backing up the high degree of civil freedom that exists.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Marjory Stoneman Douglas
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marjory Stoneman Douglas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm

It's also a matter of the states/sellers actually performing the checks. If no background checks are performed, then none of it will matter. Case and point, that whole thing with Adam Putnam a month or two ago.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Also, it's "NICS". Not "NCIS"

Ok my bad. Although I'm not a big fan of it.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:It's also a matter of the states/sellers actually performing the checks. If no background checks are performed, then none of it will matter.

So how exactly do you propose going about enforcing them?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:It's also a matter of the states/sellers actually performing the checks. If no background checks are performed, then none of it will matter. Case and point, that whole thing with Adam Putnam a month or two ago.

All FFL stores run a bgc, it is federal law.
The issue with Adam Putnam is an issue within his office and state issue.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marjory Stoneman Douglas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:

Don't you think that intense background checks may give leeway for an authoritarian State to develop and gradually disarm the population? I mean, given the large scope that the U.S. government has nowadays over the country (and given the historical lack of any American dictatorship), extensive gun rights and extensive gun ownership is likely what's backing up the high degree of civil freedom that exists.

No. I don't
I support the second amendment. I am not calling for the confiscation of all guns. If someone wants to own a firearm (such as a pistol) for safety/security, I fully support that. However, I do not support weapons of war being in the hands of citizens. Especially considering we are not at war with one another.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:Don't you think that intense background checks may give leeway for an authoritarian State to develop and gradually disarm the population? I mean, given the large scope that the U.S. government has nowadays over the country (and given the historical lack of any American dictatorship), extensive gun rights and extensive gun ownership is likely what's backing up the high degree of civil freedom that exists.

No. I don't
I support the second amendment. I am not calling for the confiscation of all guns. If someone wants to own a firearm (such as a pistol) for safety/security, I fully support that. However, I do not support weapons of war being in the hands of citizens. Especially considering we are not at war with one another.

That will literally cover 90% of the firearms available.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:I do not support weapons of war being in the hands of citizens. Especially considering we are not at war with one another.

Define a "weapon of war" please.

Wave on, wave on

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:No. I don't

>I do not support weapons of war being in the hands of citizens.
>weapons of war

Time to define that term.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:Don't you think that intense background checks may give leeway for an authoritarian State to develop and gradually disarm the population? I mean, given the large scope that the U.S. government has nowadays over the country (and given the historical lack of any American dictatorship), extensive gun rights and extensive gun ownership is likely what's backing up the high degree of civil freedom that exists.

No. I don't

You are aware that 80% of homicides are committed with handguns, right? And that more people are bludgeoned to death by people using nothing but their hands and their feet than are killed by all rifles annually?
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marjory Stoneman Douglas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:I do not support weapons of war being in the hands of citizens. Especially considering we are not at war with one another.

Define a "weapon of war" please.

All automatic and semi-automatic weapons. For starters.

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:20 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Define a "weapon of war" please.

>I support the 2nd Amendment
>except for the parts I don't support
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Postby Len Hyet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:20 pm

squints

I don't... wait a minute... is that, is that who I think it is?
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

So every weapon that isn't a bolt action rifle/repeater/musket?
All shall tremble before me

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

So everything apart from single action revolvers and bolt action rifles and the like? :eyebrow:

Wave on, wave on

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:No. I don't

That will literally cover 90% of the firearms available.

This, plus mental issues may cover any mild kind of ADHD (which affects ~36m Americans according to CDC).
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Len Hyet wrote:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:All automatic and semi-automatic weapons. For starters.

squints

no plz
All shall tremble before me

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Len Hyet wrote:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:All automatic and semi-automatic weapons. For starters.

squints

No! Say it isn't true! Say it isn't true!

Wave on, wave on

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Postby Len Hyet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:24 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Len Hyet wrote:squints

No! Say it isn't true! Say it isn't true!

No, no it can't be. I'm imagining things.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Len Hyet wrote:

squints

OH SH--
DON'T YOU DARE SAYING THAT

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Postby Len Hyet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:
Len Hyet wrote:squints

OH SH--
DON'T YOU DARE SAYING THAT

He left pretty fast after I though it.

But, no, I'm sure I'm imagining things.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General