NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control III - the Gunnening

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gun Control n Stuff - Only 2 Options Pick Carefully

If my neighbors dog craps on my lawn I have a god-given right to respond with the use of force up to and including recreational nuclear warheads
50%
Guns are literally the embodiment of all evil ever created by mankind, and when the last gun is finally destroyed the entire world will be at peace
16%
I'm lame and choose not to use a poll with wild stereotypes about both sides because I'm lame
33%

Total votes : 1277

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:23 am

Oh look! Congressional dems aren't really about safety after all, just want to fuck over anybody who dares exercise an enumerated right.
Congressional Dems: Red Flag Confiscations Are Good for Joe Sixpack, but Not for Gang Members
Colorado Republican Ken Buck offered up an amendment designed to disarm known criminals.

Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee amended the measure during a Wednesday mark-up to authorize the federal government to issue extreme risk protection orders in some instances, but they rejected an amendment that would have red-flagged anyone who law enforcement lists as a gang member.

Buck said,

My amendment is quite simple. It would allow the issuance of a red flag order against anyone whose name appears in a gang database if there was probable cause to include that individual in the database.

But Democrats couldn’t quite stomach the thought of grabbing guns from people known to commit a significant percentage of America’s violent crimes and most of the criminal instances of “gun violence.”

Just to recap the Democrats’ logic here, governmental agencies are competent enough empower them to violate the due process rights of people suspected of possibly committing a crime in the future…but they’re not nearly proficient enough to finger known gang members and grab their guns. - Dan Zimmerman.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:25 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:Oh look! Congressional dems aren't really about safety after all, just want to fuck over anybody who dares exercise an enumerated right.
Congressional Dems: Red Flag Confiscations Are Good for Joe Sixpack, but Not for Gang Members
Colorado Republican Ken Buck offered up an amendment designed to disarm known criminals.

Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee amended the measure during a Wednesday mark-up to authorize the federal government to issue extreme risk protection orders in some instances, but they rejected an amendment that would have red-flagged anyone who law enforcement lists as a gang member.

Buck said,

My amendment is quite simple. It would allow the issuance of a red flag order against anyone whose name appears in a gang database if there was probable cause to include that individual in the database.

But Democrats couldn’t quite stomach the thought of grabbing guns from people known to commit a significant percentage of America’s violent crimes and most of the criminal instances of “gun violence.”

Just to recap the Democrats’ logic here, governmental agencies are competent enough empower them to violate the due process rights of people suspected of possibly committing a crime in the future…but they’re not nearly proficient enough to finger known gang members and grab their guns. - Dan Zimmerman.

I don't like red flag laws even for gang members, but... what the fuck?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:29 am

Galloism wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Oh look! Congressional dems aren't really about safety after all, just want to fuck over anybody who dares exercise an enumerated right.

Gang members are more likely to vote Democrat?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:35 am

Buck said,

This is completely illogical. It's like getting rid of the guard dog, who guards the chickenhouse, but leaving the fox alone.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:42 am

Galloism wrote:

Agreed.
I find it telling the dems use the same argument that most use against the "No fly-No Buy"

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:43 am

Galloism wrote:

-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:46 am

Telconi wrote:
Galloism wrote:I don't like red flag laws even for gang members, but... what the fuck?

Most likely, dems wouldn't want some of their voting bloc stuck in prison or made defenseless and would mean less votes.
Take that dipshit nadler for instance, if he found himself to be out of a congressional job, he'd be lost since he's never done anything meaningful in life.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 am

Telconi wrote:
Galloism wrote:I don't like red flag laws even for gang members, but... what the fuck?

I’ve always said, the whole gun control issue in the US is more about punishing rural people for voting GOP than anything else.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:53 am

Diopolis wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I’ve always said, the whole gun control issue in the US is more about punishing rural people for voting GOP than anything else.

The strike through parts would be more in line with US gun control. Never about safety, always about control.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:54 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I’ve always said, the whole gun control issue in the US is more about punishing rural people for voting GOP than anything else.

The strike through parts would be more in line with US gun control. Never about safety, always about control.

Party lines seem to be a pretty significant part of it.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:16 am

Diopolis wrote:
Telconi wrote:

...Not really? I mean - take the gun buyback concept, that's ludicrous and will spell doom for my party if they ever adopt that into their platform. But to have sensible gun control with more adequate background checks, elimination of the gun-show loophole, etc etc, that doesn't punish anybody with the exception of would be criminals. Law-abiding citizens from all parties and walks of life would still be able to buy plenty of guns and ammunition.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:17 am

Major-Tom wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I’ve always said, the whole gun control issue in the US is more about punishing rural people for voting GOP than anything else.

...Not really? I mean - take the gun buyback concept, that's ludicrous and will spell doom for my party if they ever adopt that into their platform. But to have sensible gun control with more adequate background checks, elimination of the gun-show loophole, etc etc, that doesn't punish anybody with the exception of would be criminals. Law-abiding citizens from all parties and walks of life would still be able to buy plenty of guns and ammunition.

Fines aren't punishment?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:19 am

Telconi wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Fines aren't punishment?

Just the cost of doing business with the state, thank you for your support citizen.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:22 am

Major-Tom wrote:

What gun show loophole?
Any and all FFL dealers that attended gun shows and sell firearms at said show, have to conduct a bgc.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am

Major-Tom wrote:

More adequate background checks? Exactly what is it that they're checking for that doesn't already come up?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:27 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

More adequate background checks? Exactly what is it that they're checking for that doesn't already come up?

What about the fact that a majority those who reportedly lied on a 4473 knowing full well they were a prohibited person are rarely prosecuted. Seems that there is a selective enforcement of said law in regards to lying on a federal document.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:30 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:More adequate background checks? Exactly what is it that they're checking for that doesn't already come up?

What about the fact that a majority those who reportedly lied on a 4473 knowing full well they were a prohibited person are rarely prosecuted. Seems that there is a selective enforcement of said law in regards to lying on a federal document.

I know a good way of getting rid of that issue.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:32 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:What about the fact that a majority those who reportedly lied on a 4473 knowing full well they were a prohibited person are rarely prosecuted. Seems that there is a selective enforcement of said law in regards to lying on a federal document.

I know a good way of getting rid of that issue.

Yeah, getting rid of "we're really not using it as a registry but gonna use it as a registry 4473."
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:

Agreed. They just want to protect government power, not our rights.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:34 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I know a good way of getting rid of that issue.

Yeah, getting rid of the not using it as a registry but gonna use it as a registry 4473.

Get rid of the idea of a 'prohibited person.' Unless you are on probation I don't see any reason not to allow an adult who isn't in a prison or mental institution access to firearms

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:34 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:The strike through parts would be more in line with US gun control. Never about safety, always about control.

Agreed. They just want to protect government power, not our rights.

As my grandpappy once said " if govt tells you, you don't need a gun, you definitely need a gun"

Astokie
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Gun Control

Postby Astokie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:36 am

The Dems want to take a way our god given right to own a firearm, they claim that it will keep them off the streets and will lower to death rate from guns.But in all fairness if somebody wants a gun they'll get it one way or another.
Last edited by Astokie on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:36 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Agreed. They just want to protect government power, not our rights.

As my grandpappy once said " if govt tells you, you don't need a gun, you definitely need a gun"

Now that's a quote. Your grandpa had the right idea.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:37 am

Astokie wrote:The Demonazis want to take a way our god given right to own a firearm, they claim that it will keep them off the streets and will lower to death rate from guns.But in all fairness if somebody wants a gun they'll get it one way or another.

Careful, political nicknaming is against the rules here.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:37 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:Yeah, getting rid of the not using it as a registry but gonna use it as a registry 4473.

Get rid of the idea of a 'prohibited person.' Unless you are on probation I don't see any reason not to allow an adult who isn't in a prison or mental institution access to firearms

I'm of the same thought. If a person has been released from prison and carried out their sentence, that person should get their full rights back, otherwise, why is said dangerous person being allowed to walk around like a free person. Same with those who are released from mental institutions.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General