NATION

PASSWORD

Nerve Agent Used in Attempted Murder of Russian Spy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:58 am

Kramanica wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Not Trump, Bolton.

Bolton's just an advisor. He isn't actually in charge of the military. That's still Trump and Mattis.

A very dangerous advisor.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:00 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Bolton's just an advisor. He isn't actually in charge of the military. That's still Trump and Mattis.

A very dangerous advisor.

He only ever gets shit because he supported the Iraq war along with most of Congress. He's really not that bad, and he's no friend of Putin which one would think most here would agree with.
Running out of nation names faster than I can think of them
American National Syndicalist
"B-but gun control works in Australia..."

Kartofian
Envoy

Founded: Oct 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kartofian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:06 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I think it extremely likely. Russia has also killed a lot just not so theatrically. Trying to deal with either as if they think like us is simply stupid and has to do with mistaking our uniqueness as a people for something universal. For example we still can't come to grips with Putin's popularity in Russia. To us, Putin is a deviant, but Putin is not one of us, he is a Russian, and among Russians he's seen as an IDEAL.

Let's face it, Putin won the last election through corruption. If Russia held a fair election, Navalny would have had a fighting chance of winning.

No, Putin won because he is popular. If Navalny did stand in the election, complete with state TV access and all, I say he would get about 20% give or take 5%.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Still worried that the expulsion will cause WW3.

It won't, simply because no one is willing to escalate that far. Putin will continue to escalate, and be even more of a nuisance, he can come close to threatening war, but he won't pull the trigger. Western leaders, on the other hand, have a reputation to maintain outside of their own countries - they can't escalate up to a near-war scenario.
Mixed: Putin, UN
Dislikes: racism, jingoism, everyone to the right of Mao

Slavoj Zizek wrote:As a Marxist, let me add: if anyone tells you Lacan is difficult, this is class propaganda by the enemy.
Sarah Palin wrote:Usually they're like "Oh my gosh, don't watch. You're going to, you know, you're going to get depressed."

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 am

Kartofian wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Let's face it, Putin won the last election through corruption. If Russia held a fair election, Navalny would have had a fighting chance of winning.

No, Putin won because he is popular. If Navalny did stand in the election, complete with state TV access and all, I say he would get about 20% give or take 5%.

Well, Kim Jong-un is popular in North Korea. Anyone accounted for propaganda?

(And the younger generation of Russians is more anti-Putin)

Kartofian
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kartofian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:10 am

Kartofian wrote:No, Putin won because he is popular. If Navalny did stand in the election, complete with state TV access and all, I say he would get about 20% give or take 5%.

Well, Kim Jong-un is popular in North Korea. Anyone accounted for propaganda?

Russia isn't a totalitarian state, the comparison is ridiculous.

Got any data to back up that claim? Because, I heard the complete opposite:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/better-off-than-their-parents-why-russias-youth-are-backing-putin-1521205201
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/12/putin-generation-russia-soviet-union/
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/putin-s-millennial-fans-can-t-wait-russian-election-n833406
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2018/03/09/feature/russias-young-people-are-putins-biggest-fans/?utm_term=.4aa5e692897c

Slavoj Zizek wrote:As a Marxist, let me add: if anyone tells you Lacan is difficult, this is class propaganda by the enemy.
Sarah Palin wrote:Usually they're like "Oh my gosh, don't watch. You're going to, you know, you're going to get depressed."

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:14 am

Kartofian wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Well, Kim Jong-un is popular in North Korea. Anyone accounted for propaganda?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/better-off-than-their-parents-why-russias-youth-are-backing-putin-1521205201
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/12/putin-generation-russia-soviet-union/
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/putin-s-millennial-fans-can-t-wait-russian-election-n833406
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2018/03/09/feature/russias-young-people-are-putins-biggest-fans/?utm_term=.4aa5e692897c

Yeah, it's not like they stop the opposition from running, stuff ballot boxes, have mad state propaganda or murder people with WMDs on foreign soil...

And Hitler was popular with the German youth, the young are more susceptible to indoctrination.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Kartofian
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kartofian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:23 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:

Yeah, it's not like they stop the opposition from running, stuff ballot boxes, have mad state propaganda or murder people with WMDs on foreign soil...

And Hitler was popular with the German youth, the young are more susceptible to indoctrination.

> it's not like they stop the opposition from running
Navalny was the only one

> stuff ballot boxes
Eh, well yeah uhm.....

> have mad state propaganda
To describe it as mad is unfair. Is there propaganda? Sure. To imply that it was decisive in the vote is wrong.

> And Hitler was popular with the German youth, the young are more susceptible to indoctrination.
Is this the old liberals are turning my kids gay!?!?!? trope, but in reverse? I wonder what the Parkland students would think of your words, or the young Obama voters?
https://www.politico.com/story/2012/11/study-youth-vote-was-decisive-083510

Did you even bother to read the articles? Would you say the reasons for them supporting Putin are legitimate? Or are they indoctrinated jew America haters?

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 am

Kartofian wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Let's face it, Putin won the last election through corruption. If Russia held a fair election, Navalny would have had a fighting chance of winning.

Just ignore all the video of people voting twice.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Kartofian
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kartofian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am

Vassenor wrote:
Kartofian wrote:No, Putin won because he is popular. If Navalny did stand in the election, complete with state TV access and all, I say he would get about 20% give or take 5%.

Just ignore all the video of people voting twice.

The election was fake. Doesn't change the fact that Putin won, and that he won thanks to his popularity. Even when adjusting for voter fraud, Putin had an easy majority -- the polling predicted this as well.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-03-19/russian-election-a-fake-democracy-but-real-support-for-putin
There are, however, fewer reasons this time around than in several previous elections to describe the outcome as fake, too. Sergei Shpilkin, a physicist and electoral statistician who convincingly demonstrated irregularities in previous vote outcomes, noted that the vote falsification level was "likely at a record low" and close to what he'd seen back in 2004, during Putin's second, conflict-free election. According to Shpilkin, up to 8 million votes may have been added to the actual count.
Even correcting the official data for that would yield a respectable 60 percent turnout and almost 74 percent for Putin. Without the correction, the turnout hit 67.4 percent, more than in 2004 and 2012, and Putin won 77.7 percent of the vote -- his highest ever.

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:54 am

Kartofian wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Well, Kim Jong-un is popular in North Korea. Anyone accounted for propaganda?

Scholars regard Russia as a dictatorship. Because it is. It's the 10th most corrupt country on Earth.

Kartofian
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kartofian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:06 am

Scholars regard Russia as a dictatorship. Because it is. It's the 10th most corrupt country on Earth.

The views is not nearly as unanimous as you think it is.
https://mic.com/articles/156026/is-vladimir-putin-a-dictator-here-s-what-experts-have-to-say#.TOYkrRzkY
For Stephen Crowley, a professor of politics at Oberlin College, the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

"Most political scientists that I'm aware of would say that Russia is in between a democracy and an outright dictatorship, what some would call a 'hybrid regime' or 'electoral authoritarianism,' though Putin has certainly been drifting more toward [the] authoritarian side," Crowley said in an email.

A dictator, as it is typically defined, is a ruler with absolute power over a region, power which has oftentimes been obtained by force. Putin, Crowley says, meets this criteria in a number of ways, including the ways he has safeguarded his hold on Russia's top political office and ruled largely through executive authority.

But Crowley cautions against comparing the Russian president to other dictators, like North Korea's Kim Jong-Un or Syria's Bashar al-Assad, because Russia still has "contested elections, opposition parties, and at least some degree of freedom of speech."

And most Russians have once lived under the Soviet Union's central committee, they know what a dictatorial power looks like. And most consider Putin to not be a dictator. Corruption does not determine whether a country is dictatorial or not.

Do you concede your point that "most young Russians are anti-Putin"?

Sharania
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sharania » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:19 am

The East Marches II wrote:
We could start trading 2:1 for each we lose? (This is sarcasm)

Somehow I doubt more serious action wouldn't bring cries of brutality from you and the other human rights brigade types.

Nice for you to drop by, TEM II! First of all – I demand an apology. Here, let me remind you of your slanderous claim:

Sharania wrote:Now, I want everyone here on NSG be my witnesses! TES II wrote that:

The East Marches II wrote:Of course, I am always glad to provide entertainment. They claim to be Russian too, I would normally doubt but their posting style is quite similar to yours, so I guess I have to believe it :^)

They also accused me of being “dishonest”. Now, TES II – go and show everyone where I EVER claimed to be from Russia OR a Russian! Please – I’m waiting! Or are you, yourself, dishonest and disingenuous? Only can libel others, who you PERSONALLY dislike?

TES II – your apologies. Here and now. So that everyone will it. I’m waiting.

Next – it is time for EVERYONE to understand, that the wars nowadays are fought differently. Money is the weapons– so let’s use it! Besides – it is all totally legal and within acceptable norms, as opposed to the primitive, ham-fisted Neanderthal tactics of those who still dream of testosterone soaking macho-macho all destroying wars of the past.

You go after their money. No like it’s been with half-hearted (and possibly Kremlin leaked) Panama Papers. Do it for real. Expose all dirty money – and take them away. Thus they won’t allow themselves to build new tanks, planes and missiles. Thus they won’t be funneling funds on troll-farms and into all too willing (and all too right-wing) Western parties and organizations, who, desperate for power and loathed by their own people, have no qualms to take a foreign “SHILL-ing” (well, ruble).

Say, TEM II, are you by chance one of those who number yourself among the “proud gun owners”? The NRA confirmed that it accepts foreign donations. The Federal Election Commission is investigating whether a top Russian banker with Kremlin ties illegally funneled money to the NRA to aid Trump's campaign for president. Wouldn’t you agree, TEM-II, that it will be just WONDERFUL if all these organizations (and their supporters) involved in the shady dealings with the enemies of the US will get their just reward?

You, TEM II, with your ideas of how to do things “RIGHT” is in the past. And those who wear the “paleo” badge of your on and off supporters – they know how the fossils are “born”, don’t they?
Time for justice.
Veteran of the Resistance.

BLM
Pigs are treyf

Sharania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sharania » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:23 am

Kartofian wrote:The election was fake.

In that case… WHY NOT REFUSE TO RECOGNIZE THE RESULTS?! Where is logic?! It is really simple. If something is false, illegal – you act accordingly. The US refused to recognized the Bolshevik regime in Russia for years, thus undermining their legitimacy and standing firm on their principles – longer then some European countries did. The international law and practice say that if you recognize the results of the elections, you retroactively legitimize any irregularities and crimes. You absolve them – you APPROVE them. What’s the mater that you say “they were fake elections” if you still recognize the results?

You know who was not afraid to call the elections in Russia by their proper name? Mikhail Khodorkovsky. The Regime stole everything from him, threw him into gulag for 10 years, kicked off country, constantly threatens to kill him – and he is not afraid to say that he does no recognize the results of these fake elections. I wonder, how the statepersons of the Free World would look him into eyes knowing well that he is much better and braver person then they are?
Time for justice.

BLM
Pigs are treyf

Kartofian
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kartofian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:33 am

Sharania wrote:
Kartofian wrote:The election was fake.

In that case… WHY NOT REFUSE TO RECOGNIZE THE RESULTS?! Where is logic?! It is really simple. If something is false, illegal – you act accordingly. The US refused to recognized the Bolshevik regime in Russia for years, thus undermining their legitimacy and standing firm on their principles – longer then some European countries did. The international law and practice say that if you recognize the results of the elections, you retroactively legitimize any irregularities and crimes. You absolve them – you APPROVE them. What’s the mater that you say “they were fake elections” if you still recognize the results?

You know who was not afraid to call the elections in Russia by their proper name? Mikhail Khodorkovsky. The Regime stole everything from him, threw him into gulag for 10 years, kicked off country, constantly threatens to kill him – and he is not afraid to say that he does no recognize the results of these fake elections. I wonder, how the statepersons of the Free World would look him into eyes knowing well that he is much better and braver person then they are?

The logic is very simple you see. I may not be a philosopher, but I happen to know, and be able to spot, the difference between de jure and de facto. It something I learned rather early whilst hopping fences.

> The US refused to recognized the Bolshevik regime in Russia for years, thus undermining their legitimacy and standing firm on their principles – longer then some European countries did.

That worker soooooo well!! Right?

> The international law and practice say that if you recognize the results of the elections, you retroactively legitimize any irregularities and crimes.

Where?

You see, I am not the one for moralizing and pontificating and telling people what should be fake or not. Just because the election was rigged, and I happen to think that it was, does not change the reality of the situation. The majority of Russians support Putin and want him as their president. I also happen to think that that is the best course of action.

Also, Khodorkovsky can get lost.

Sharania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sharania » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:41 am

Kartofian wrote:
That worker soooooo well!! Right?

YES! They were contained in 1920-30 with entire world literally refusing to deal with them.

Kartofian wrote:> The international law and practice say that if you recognize the results of the elections, you retroactively legitimize any irregularities and crimes.

Where?

Uhm, what is so arcane in the term "international law"? The UN charter? Conventions (Vienna 1961)? Stuff like this, you know?

Kartofian wrote:You see, I am not the one for moralizing and pontificating and telling people what should be fake or not.

You said it was fake. It is "either/or" situation. Simple as math - or programming. No shades of gray.

Kartofian wrote: Just because the election was rigged, and I happen to think that it was, does not change the reality of the situation. The majority of Russians support Putin and want him as their president.

How do you know that if the elections were rigged?

Kartofian wrote: I also happen to think that that is the best course of action.

Why? This is incosistence and show of weakness.

Kartofian wrote:Also, Khodorkovsky can get lost.

Why?
Time for justice.

BLM
Pigs are treyf

Kartofian
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kartofian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:06 pm

> YES! They were contained in 1920-30 with entire world literally refusing to deal with them.

Or perhaps because they were too busy killing each other? The west tried to contain the Soviet Union right up to their entry into WW II, didn't change jack shit.

> Uhm, what is so arcane in the term "international law"? The UN charter? Conventions (Vienna 1961)? Stuff like this, you know?

Show me where it states that recognizing a single election also means you recognize "any irregularities and crimes"

> You said it was fake. It is "either/or" situation. Simple as math - or programming. No shades of gray.

I said it was fake. You say it is fake. British government official said it was fake. Navalny said it was fake. Putin is still president and enjoys a plurality of support in Russia.

> How do you know that if the elections were rigged?

It wasn't that rigged, even western critics of Putin admit that he enjoys popular support in Russia. Unless Bershidsky is also a Kremlin puppet.

> Why? This is incosistence and show of weakness.

What inconsistence? I said I think the election is fake, but Putin is still the best ruler for Russia (at the moment). Is this what you are referring to?

> Why?

Too long to list here. Long story short I despise him.

Poland-Galicia-Silesia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Poland-Galicia-Silesia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:36 am

It's frankly typical of politicians to choose an attempted assassination, that has not (yet) been conclusively proven to be the work of the Russian government, as the point to start a hardline stance against Russia.

Not the War in Donbass, not Crimea, not Syria, not the many other successful assassinations, no, it's the botched poisoning of a double agent.
Last edited by Poland-Galicia-Silesia on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:33 am

Poland-Galicia-Silesia wrote:It's frankly typical of politicians to choose an attempted assassination, that has not (yet) been conclusively proven to be the work of the Russian government, as the point to start a hardline stance against Russia.

Not the War in Donbass, not Crimea, not Syria, not the many other successful assassinations, no, it's the botched poisoning of a double agent.

That also injured numerous British citizens, but that's no big deal for you.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:37 am

Poland-Galicia-Silesia wrote:It's frankly typical of politicians to choose an attempted assassination, that has not (yet) been conclusively proven to be the work of the Russian government, as the point to start a hardline stance against Russia.

say, I would assign the fault at bureaucracy, about this missrepresentation of the cause.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:52 am

Yup, go right ahead and dismiss the release of an extremely dangerous nerve agent in a public area as something that should be quite inconsequential, an attack that injured and maimed innocent people I might add, and contaminated a large area, putting the lives of many others at serious risk.

*sigh*
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:19 am

Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Poland-Galicia-Silesia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Poland-Galicia-Silesia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:07 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Yup, go right ahead and dismiss the release of an extremely dangerous nerve agent in a public area as something that should be quite inconsequential, an attack that injured and maimed innocent people I might add, and contaminated a large area, putting the lives of many others at serious risk.

*sigh*

Of course it's terrible, but it's been 24 days since the Counter Terrorism Command took over and still no conclusive evidence, apart from the nerve agent being a Soviet production.

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Poland-Galicia-Silesia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yup, go right ahead and dismiss the release of an extremely dangerous nerve agent in a public area as something that should be quite inconsequential, an attack that injured and maimed innocent people I might add, and contaminated a large area, putting the lives of many others at serious risk.

*sigh*

Of course it's terrible, but it's been 24 days since the Counter Terrorism Command took over and still no conclusive evidence, apart from the nerve agent being a Soviet production.

No conclusive evidence that you know about. The two things are very different.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Poland-Galicia-Silesia wrote:Of course it's terrible, but it's been 24 days since the Counter Terrorism Command took over and still no conclusive evidence, apart from the nerve agent being a Soviet production.

No conclusive evidence that you know about. The two things are very different.

You're forgetting that the government is required to disclose all evidence about something like this because reasons.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Poland-Galicia-Silesia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Poland-Galicia-Silesia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:12 pm

Vassenor wrote:
You're forgetting that the government is required to disclose all evidence about something like this because reasons.

Don't take it from me.

https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence ... e3749ba38e

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General